ADVERTISEMENT

UNC-Davidson Regional Final Game Thread (UPDATE: 7:34 Opening Pitch )

We have some life!

One out, base hit and Tyler Lynn at the plate!

Come on baby!

Blooper to 2nd that Davidson can't make a play on and we have runners at 1st & 2nd with 1 out.

COME ON 'HEELS!!!

CRAP!!!!

Single to score, but the runner missed the plate and was tagged out trying to get back.

Runners on the corners, but 2 outs.

Well, that is it folks.

My system was buffering and I missed the last play, but we were arguing that Davidson's pitcher didn't get his foot down on that force at 1st, but it won't matter. There is no replay and we flat out didn't make plays when we needed to.

How do you...miss....the plate? :(
Because you can't run over the catcher and the ball came in with time to make the play, but was high. He was trying to avoid the catcher, slid around and missed tagging the plate. Tried to lunge back, but was called out when the catcher tagged him. Looked to me like he got his hand down, but, like I said before, there is no replay so that is it.

Probably more disappointed than when we lost in Omaha in the championship games. If it had been against anyone but us, I would be really happy for Davidson, but I am so disappointed right now I just can't be.

Because you can't run over the catcher and the ball came in with time to make the play, but was high. He was trying to avoid the catcher, slid around and missed tagging the plate. Tried to lunge back, but was called out when the catcher tagged him. Looked to me like he got his hand down, but, like I said before, there is no replay so that is it.

Probably more disappointed than when we lost in Omaha in the championship games. If it had been against anyone but us, I would be really happy for Davidson, but I am so disappointed right now I just can't be.
Nothing will be worse than that series loss to Oregon State. Nothing.

Not so sure about us falling apart in the post season. We looked pretty dang good against everyone except Davidson in this tournament. Even in the ACC tourney, FSU was the only team we really seemed to struggle with. Some teams just have your number and Davidson, for whatever reason, had our hitters confused every time we played them.

Well, time to go to bed. I sure hope this loss is something next year's team can learn from.

Reactions: Jarrod Hardy
I wanted a reply on the last one. I thought his foot was one the bag before the ball got there and lifted his foot off before he caught it. It was close. But you have to tip your hat. Davidson pitchers played well the whole regional. And by replay. Just a regular for me like they did for the play at the plate

Was that the first 3 game series we lost this year. They beat us 2 out of 3 this year. And it is disappointing. But Davidson played well all weekend.

Davidson deserved the win. UNC saved me $2000 not having to go to Omaha. Cancelling reservations in the morning. I'm just sick! Goodnight friends.
Yep. Sometimes the Baseball Gods are with you. I mean the two runs they scored. Should have been one. But somehow it squarted through. When it looked like it should have knocked down. And if Fox didn't send the kid to the plate. He would have scored on the as it happened would have scored on that last out. Davidson played well. Not blaming Coach Fox. I would have sent him too.

Thanks everybody for the positive feedback and likes this year. Me and @JohnGwaltney grinded with baseball coverage and we love every minute of it. The season didn't end well. The team will still go down in history winning all 10 conference series and only one series all year against 2nd beSt schedule.
You guys did a fantastic job this year. Hate it ended the way it did, but baseball is unlike any other sport and sometimes the games just don't go your way.

Can't wait to see what next year's team can do. Lots of good pieces coming back, so we should be a dang good team again next year.

And thanks guys for what y'all did this year to keep us informed. I watch more Heels baseball on ESPN this year. Then ever before. And felt more connected to this team because of it. So it stinks for us to lose.
Me too. I was able to see almost all of the games thanks to the ESPN deal. Best thing to happen to the ACC in a long time.

Reactions: JohnGwaltney
Thanks for joining us all season everyone!!!

I know a lot of folks questioned why this regional was only on ESPN3, but like has been said already the new ACC Network Extra (ESPN3) allowed fans to see more UNC/ACC baseball than ever before and I think that is great. This allowed for a connection that many have not been able to enjoy and I think it will only get better next season when people begin to really recognize what the ACC Network Extra is and can be for the Olympic Sports like baseball, softball, lacrosse, soccer, etc.

People hate losing,but keep in mind only one team can win it all. If you go down fighting you have nothing to hold back, this team never quit and did a lot of great things as a group.
The kids in the ninth did what you were supposed to do. They got on base. It took a perfect throw to home. And another bang bang play at first for the last out. Even though they seem or sounds like their bats were asleep until they fell behind 2-0. But they went out fighting. And that's all you can ask for. Again you have to tip your hat to Davidson. Played well all weekend. Nothing spectacular. But pitched well and took advantage on the situations to score runs. Sometimes that is enough to pull an upset.

I can't help but wonder if our lack of postseason experience hurt this team. Had they been there before (I think only 1 player was on the last squad to play past the regular season), I wonder if they would have played different. It just seemed like they never really adjusted to what Davidson was doing. It was almost like they were of the mindset that they were going to keep doing what they were doing because that was supposed to be the way to win, whereas a team with experience might have realized that they needed to make some adjustments. Not blaming Fox for that as the players have to execute. Mentally as much as anything.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. I thought the tag at home was the right call. Play at first to end the game looked bad to me, but with no replay, what can you do? I thought the play they called the Davidson catcher out on at first was bad, too, so it went both ways.

Home plate ump called a couple of strikes on us that were out of the zone, but did the same to them, so I think it evened itself out.

I hate it for the team, as I think they would have made it to Omaha, but that is the way it goes sometimes. Should have another strong team next year, though.

Reactions: JohnGwaltney
I can't help but wonder if our lack of postseason experience hurt this team. Had they been there before (I think only 1 player was on the last squad to play past the regular season), I wonder if they would have played different. It just seemed like they never really adjusted to what Davidson was doing. It was almost like they were of the mindset that they were going to keep doing what they were doing because that was supposed to be the way to win, whereas a team with experience might have realized that they needed to make some adjustments. Not blaming Fox for that as the players have to execute. Mentally as much as anything.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. I thought the tag at home was the right call. Play at first to end the game looked bad to me, but with no replay, what can you do? I thought the play they called the Davidson catcher out on at first was bad, too, so it went both ways.

Home plate ump called a couple of strikes on us that were out of the zone, but did the same to them, so I think it evened itself out.

I hate it for the team, as I think they would have made it to Omaha, but that is the way it goes sometimes. Should have another strong team next year, though.
I think the lack of experience contributed to it. It always helps to have that experience when things don't go your way in the postseason. I think you saw that come into play in the first game against Davidson when we had a couple of calls go against us that we never really recovered from. We let them/the umps get in our head some and that doesn't happen as much with experienced teams. We've got a couple of big pieces to replace with JB and Logan leaving, but we have a lot of young and now experienced talent coming back. I think we have a good chance to make some noise next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT