ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Engineering School

gteeitup

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2001
Columbia, SC
not sure if this is the right place, but anyone familiar with the unc engineering school?

my oldest is applying to a bunch of schools, so we’re curious.

ranked #83 in the country. Not our thing, really. Plus, it's probably more like 'Engineering Theory'. Got to go down the road for the run-of-the-mill stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: gteeitup
knew the ranking, just wondering about the reputation.

he’s boi-med or engineering...he’s got vatech and clemson as the leaders in the clubhouse for engineering, but carolina for science/research.

knew the ranking, just wondering about the reputation.

he’s boi-med or engineering...he’s got vatech and clemson as the leaders in the clubhouse for engineering, but carolina for science/research.

Most of our engineering programs aren't ABET accredited which is what he'd get at Clemson, VaTech, but I've heard good things about bio-med if he intends to build off it.

IF I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I would've done something like engineering/science/research + law...and worked in patent prosecution. That's a highly desirable knowledge base right now. That or maybe operations research or operations management with a science background.

gonna post this because most all else is crazy or negative.

just an update because you guys responded.
accepted: wake forest, vatech, clemson, tennessee, app st, brevard

waiting on vanderbilt

unc not accepted for bio-med...he’s 11th in his class, and 4th in his class didn’t get in either...he actually said “you didn’t get in, so ” which i kinda felt like it was a complement considering he’s ranked and i only had golf, lol.

i think because of covid kids were asked to declare so they could get a feel...schools don’t gaf about test scores or interviews.

Reactions: Heelicious
@gteeitup i think this is a crazy unusual year for college admissions. My oldest son is graduating with a decent gpa with a classics and philosophy , religion double major at a strong liberal arts school.

he had two great internships at prominent national law firms. Scored in top 2% nationally on LSAT last summer

So he applied to law school at Harvard. Yale, Chicago. Michigan, northwestern, Virginia. All top 10 law schools but all very expensive.

He ended up not getting accepted in first round at any. He’s On several waiting lists but you can’t plan around that. It’s basically useless.
He also had some contacts connected to Alabama and he applied there. He was accepted there - with nearly a full ride so that’s where he’ll be. Roll tide.

It is a top 25-30 law school and not coming out with 6 figure debt will be nice.

he ended up liking the culture and the personality of the Alabama law school people - better than the people, admins at Ivys etc.

I guess the point in all this is getting a sense for the culture and relationship fit for your student is at least as important as school ranking, etc. sometimes I think some of the politics behind admissions (race, gender, connections, donations, etc) are messed up but you can’t control or fight or change those.

if you’re not tied to the Atlantic coast schools I think Purdue or Iowa state are worth looking at for engineering/ STEM.

and vandy is a good school for a lot of disciplines - law and STEM too? And Nashville can be a great city to spend time in. CLean, good food, lots of music talent - decent weather.

Last edited:
@gteeitup i think this is a crazy unusual year for college admissions. My oldest son is graduating with a decent gpa with a classics and philosophy , religion double major at a strong liberal arts school.

he had two great internships at prominent national law firms. Scored in top 2% nationally on LSAT last summer

So he applied to law school at Harvard. Yale, Chicago. Michigan, northwestern, Virginia. All top 10 law schools but all very expensive.

He ended up not getting accepted in first round at any. He’s On several waiting lists but you can’t plan around that. It’s basically useless.
He also had some contacts connected to Alabama and he applied there. He was accepted there - with nearly a full ride so that’s where he’ll be. Roll tide.

It is a top 25-30 law school and not coming out with 6 figure debt will be nice.

he ended up liking the culture and the personality of the Alabama law school people - better than the people, admins at Ivys etc.

I guess the point in all this is getting a sense for the culture and relationship fit for your student is at least as important as school ranking, etc. sometimes I think some of the politics behind admissions (race, gender, connections, donations, etc) are messed up but you can’t control or fight or change those.

if you’re not tied to the Atlantic coast schools I think Purdue or Iowa state are worth looking at for engineering/ STEM.

and vandy is a good school for a lot of disciplines - law and STEM too? And Nashville can be a great city to spend time in. Lean, good food, lots of music talent - decent weather.
Nashville would be awesome for someone young.

and vandy is a good school for a lot of disciplines - law and STEM too? And Nashville can be a great city to spend time in. CLean, good food, lots of music talent - decent weather.
@gteeitup one other thing and I’m guessing you have already taken this into account- but for my son, having assurance that he’d be attending classes in person instead of virtual was a huge deciding factor. You’re spending that much money - you shouldn’t have to “do classes” over zoom. The face to face discussions and for engineering or biomedical - labs and experiments, etc. being in person seems a vital part of what you’re paying for in college, law school, etc. Alabama will be wide open - basically 2019 mode this fall.

Last edited:
@gteeitup one other thing and I’m guessing you have already taken this into account- but for my son, having assurance that he’s be attending classes in person instead of virtual was a huge deciding factor. You’re spending that much money - you shouldn’t have to “do classes” over zoom. The face to face discussions and for engineering or biomedical - labs and experiments, etc. being in person seems a vital part of what you’re paying for in college, law school, etc. Alabama will be wide open - basically 2019 mode this fall.

we did and thanks for the heads up...i totally agree as well.

the visits are still virtual, though we’ve seen clemson, wake and vandy and my wife is a vatech alum.

Reactions: Heelicious

More like...Clean, good food, lots of music, tons of talent lol - decent weather. I'm in Franklin...Broadway about 20 min up I65

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT