ADVERTISEMENT

UNC-Oregon State in Omaha Saturday at 3:00 PM (UPDATED)

The 3 seed Oregon State will play the 6th seed North Carolina.... There is no reseeding once they were originally announced

About time for some payback, IMHO. That first series with them still stings. Should have been our NC, but it wasn’t to be.

As much as this team has made us sweat this year, they are pretty dang good. I think we have a good shot at beating OSU, but it’ll take a pretty dang good effort. OSU is playing better than just about anyone right now and I think they are the team to beat this year. May be the team to beat the next few years with the class they are pulling in, too. Still, I honk we can beat them but it won’t be easy.

On the brink of disaster, how Mike Fox saved UNC's season with a challenge
The day was March 14. The UNC baseball team had just been shut out at home against Gardner-Webb, 1-0. The loss was embarrassing enough — it was just the second time in school history the Runnin’ Bulldogs had defeated the Tar Heels. But to make matters worse, the defeat dropped UNC to 9-8. The talk about getting back to an NCAA Regional seemed far away. (Daily Tar Heel)

Team contributions move UNC baseball on to College World Series
After injuries, early season struggles and doubt turned into dog piles, celebration and disbelief on Saturday, the North Carolina baseball team has earned its way to the College World Series in Omaha. That’s not a misprint — even if the possibility of the preseason seventh-ranked program reaching its 11th College World Series seemed far-fetched only four months ago. (Daily Tar Heel)

Wow, that's bizarre. Oh well, I ain't skeered of no Beavers.
There are calls for re-seeding, but as they have never done so for basketball, I doubt they will for baseball.

In basketball, we can have a pair of #1 seeds face one another in a semi in the Final Four, while in the other semi region winners were a #4 and a #7. Reseeding then would be relatively easy, but what if you have a Final Four with three #2 seeds and a #9?

The same issues would come up if we were to re-seed baseball for the CWS.

Can someone please explain to me the format? I can never friggin remember it, and the Wiki page isn't a big help.

Am I correct in that it's:

- play your first game, if you win --> winner's bracket. If you lose --> loser's bracket.
- 4 teams in winner's bracket, 4 team's in loser's bracket.
- 2 teams eliminated in Game 2 from loser's bracket, while 2 from winner's bracket are added to loser's bracket after Game 2.
- from here, I get fuzzy. Do teams still in the winner's bracket at that point get de facto byes, while waiting for the loser's bracket to cannibalize itself and find a "winner" ?

Like say we did beat Oregon State, who would we play next? Is it impossible to know that and is instead purely based on what happens with other games?

Reactions: Archer2
Can someone please explain to me the format? I can never friggin remember it, and the Wiki page isn't a big help.

- play your first game, if you win --> winner's bracket. If you lose --> loser's bracket.
- 2 teams eliminated in Game 2 from loser's bracket, while 2 from winner's bracket are added to loser's bracket after Game 2.
- from here, I get fuzzy. Do teams still in the winner's bracket at that point get de facto byes, while waiting for the loser's bracket to cannibalize itself and find a "winner" ?

Like say we did beat Oregon State, who would we play next? Is it impossible to know that and is instead purely based on what happens with other games?
  1. College World Series | June 16-26/27, 2018
The 2018 NCAA Men's College World Series (CWS) will be held at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha, June 16-26/27, 2018. The eight winners advancing from the Super Regional competitions will compete in two four-team double elimination brackets to determine the bracket champions. The two bracket champions will then play a best two-of-three championship series (CWS Finals) to determine the national champion. The CWS Finals format consists of single games Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (if necessary), June 25-26/27.
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/baseball/d1/road-to-champs

1. College World Series | June 16-26/27, 2018
The 2018 NCAA Men's College World Series (CWS) will be held at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha, June 16-26/27, 2018. The eight winners advancing from the Super Regional competitions will compete in two four-team double elimination brackets to determine the bracket champions. The two bracket champions will then play a best two-of-three championship series (CWS Finals) to determine the national champion. The CWS Finals format consists of single games Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (if necessary), June 25-26/27.
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/baseball/d1/road-to-champs
Ohhh it's just bracket play. Well damn I was over complicating it lol. I'm glad we won't be in Florida, Auburn, or Duke's bracket. Also, please do not let it end up Duke - Carolina in the final. I'd throw up from nerves.

Reactions: DF1972
Ohhh it's just bracket play. Well damn I was over complicating it lol. I'm glad we won't be in Florida, Auburn, or Duke's bracket. Also, please do not let it end up Duke - Carolina in the final. I'd throw up from nerves.
You would not be alone;):rolleyes::)

About time for some payback, IMHO. That first series with them still stings. Should have been our NC, but it wasn’t to be.

As much as this team has made us sweat this year, they are pretty dang good. I think we have a good shot at beating OSU, but it’ll take a pretty dang good effort. OSU is playing better than just about anyone right now and I think they are the team to beat this year. May be the team to beat the next few years with the class they are pulling in, too. Still, I honk we can beat them but it won’t be easy.
This matchup gives me the hives. Until we remove OSU, I’ll relive those loses like yesterday.

The CWSis exactly like the Regionals plus Supers. There are, in effect, 2 CWS regions. It is double elimination to win the CVWS region. Then the 2 region champs play a best of 3 series.

Reactions: heelpharm
It kinda feels like our Omaha hopes hinge greatly on Game 1.

Don't get me wrong. I know that is not case and that Game 1 is not an end-all, be-all. But it just feels like, given the teams in our bracket, if we can notch a victory in Game 1, it really really sets us up well to potentially reach the finals. Washington doesn't scare me, and Mississippi State is good but they could easily pick up a loss in Game 1 and be on the ropes.

I mean, yes, I know that the format means winning Game 1 is crucial as it is, but it feels especially crucial against Oregon State.

It kinda feels like our Omaha hopes hinge greatly on Game 1.

Don't get me wrong. I know that is not case and that Game 1 is not an end-all, be-all. But it just feels like, given the teams in our bracket, if we can notch a victory in Game 1, it really really sets us up well to potentially reach the finals. Washington doesn't scare me, and Mississippi State is good but they could easily pick up a loss in Game 1 and be on the ropes.

I mean, yes, I know that the format means winning Game 1 is crucial as it is, but it feels especially crucial against Oregon State.

The biggest thing to me is the disparity btw OSU and the other two teams. Not trying to take anyone for granted after what Fresno St did to us a few years back, but they are head and shoulders better than wash/msu. If we lose game 1, they will almost certainly be waiting in the winners bracket and beating them back to back, if we even get there, just sounds like too tough to ask. But if we can clip them in game 1, then there's at least a decent chance we don't see them again, and can get to the final with two wins against arguably the two weakest teams left in the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT