ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Transfers at Other Schools - How Did They Do?

Several of those guys got plenty of opportunity, but if Nickel and/or Styles put up good numbers this year that wouldn't be a very good look for our staff.

Not necessarily a bad look. Would you rather have Cormac Ryan or Tyler Nickel? Would you rather have Dontrez Styles or Jaelyn Withers? The first one is easy, the second one, the jury is still out.

Definitely rooting for all of the guys who transferred out to new schools, but early season stats can be misleading, let's review their stats once conference play begins.
Absolutely. Guys good enough to be recruited by UNC certainly should be able to shine against creampuffs. But can they shine against tough competition, as well? We'll see.

That said, even against easy foes, it's nice to see most of these guys off to a good start.

I wonder why Puff didn't play. Anybody know? I hope his career doesn't continue to be plagued with injuries.

Interesting but honestly when guys transfer they pretty much fall off my radar. Now I will be hoping Caleb has a great game against dook but generally I really don't care. If UNC was not a fit then I don't hold transferring against them (with some exceptions "wear" it was handled very poorly). Too many players today are focused on the name on the back of the jersey.

Nickel only 2 pts and an assist tonight against little Carolina played most of the last 15 minutes I saw.. Kid hustles & plays hard but didn’t have much of an impact

I added links to the players in the OP table to make it easier for others to look them up. It's a free stat site, so I trust it's OK to link it.

D'Marco Dunn started in Penn State's 2nd game tallying 9 points, 1 rebound and 1 assist, with no errors in 19 minutes. Looks like the PSU coach is experimenting. A guard who started last time came off the bench this time, but played 34 minutes, and another guard who hasn't started yet was MVP in their 1st game.

Meanwhile, Puff didn't play and is reported day-to-day with an undisclosed injury. Poor guy.

Qudus Wahab (transfer from Georgetown) may not challenge Armando on double doubles but he's an impressive rebounder with 13 and 18 so far. PSU could use a healthy Puff to flesh out the team.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Not necessarily a bad look. Would you rather have Cormac Ryan or Tyler Nickel? Would you rather have Dontrez Styles or Jaelyn Withers? The first one is easy, the second one, the jury is still out.
The problem that Styles had was that he is a under sized (what 6' 6") power forward rather than a wing 3. Withers is much like Styles yet is a thick 6'8" (I suspect he may be closer to 6'9") and I believe a good bit longer with his reach than Styles is. I see them as very close athletically, neither great ball handlers if the ball has to hit the floor over twice. For the length difference I think Withers is an upgrade but I do believe Styles should have got more run with us last season, believe he needed development and court time to become a valuable player.

As for Ryan or Nickel, Nickel was a freshman last season, who knows how he may have developed, he as well in my view should have played more last season. With Ryan we get 1 season and only one, jury still has to be out on how valuable that will be, I think it will be great but we need to see how things play out. I do love his enthusiasm, as AJ calls him, "a fanny slapper", we could have used that last season.

God bless all the young men who started their careers at UNC and, for whatever reason, decided to go elsewhere.

I agree 100% with Withers over styles. I also agree with having Ryan over nickel and, for the record, I was a big nickel fan. Not only do I think Ryan will give us more this year, but his departure at the end frees up a spot for the studs we have coming in next year to play and develop. I think the "potential" ceilings for Drake and Ian are far greater than that of Styles and Nickel.

Go Heels!

Last edited:
Cupcake game, but efficient 20 points on 8-12 shooting, 3-5 from threeland for Caleb. 6 assists to 1 turnover as well. He also continues to log the most minutes for Zona and seems to have stepped right into a leadership role.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Both? We only have 11 scholarship players and Wojcik is starting, so having Cormac Ryan doesn't preclude Nickel from playing.

I'm not saying Nickel is any good. But if he turns out to be, then it's not a great look given our available ships, relative lack of wings, and how little run he was given.

Judging only from the numbers, Caleb seems to have landed well at Arizona.

He's playing a bit less (28.2 min vs 35.7 last year), scoring a bit less (13.2 pts vs 16.7), and his 3-pt shooting still sucks (27.0% vs 29.9), but everything else is looking up.

Better 2-pt shooting (53.1%), more rebounds (4.2 vs 3.7) and a lot more assists (4.7 vs 2.8) with fewer TOs (1.8 vs 2.4) and a still-excellent FT% (78.9).

With Kylan Boswell - who scores even better and dishes almost as many dimes - sharing the backcourt, and Alabama transfer Jaden Bradley giving near-starter minutes off the bench, AZ seems to have one of the better backcourts in the nation.

D'Marco Dunn started in Penn State's 2nd game tallying 9 points, 1 rebound and 1 assist, with no errors in 19 minutes. Looks like the PSU coach is experimenting. A guard who started last time came off the bench this time, but played 34 minutes, and another guard who hasn't started yet was MVP in their 1st game.

Meanwhile, Puff didn't play and is reported day-to-day with an undisclosed injury. Poor guy.

Qudus Wahab (transfer from Georgetown) may not challenge Armando on double doubles but he's an impressive rebounder with 13 and 18 so far. PSU could use a healthy Puff to flesh out the team.
I watched some of PSU's last game and if the coach had any sense he would've played Dunn more. The Guards on the floor made dumb play after dumb play.

Nickel is an interesting case. He hasn't started but is playing near-starter minutes (24.6). His numbers look a whole lot like Cormac Ryan's numbers for us, but Tyler's shooting percentages are better (except FTs where Cormac is killing it).

Sure, Ryan is more SG than Nickel, so they aren't both apples, but it's still interesting to compare.

I like having Cormac on the team this season, but wouldn't mind having Tyler back next year.

So you have a reminder thread about all of the FORMER players who once wore a UNC uniform?! Nice touch...
Some of us liked those players. Some are curious how they are doing.

I'm inclined to share what I find when I do the work to check things out.

Your motives for commenting, on the other hand, rarely seem well-intentioned.

Different strokes.

My posts are almost always well intentioned. However, concerning your post would you please enlighten me as to how this Helps UNC basketball at the present time? Thank you...

My posts are almost always well intentioned. However, concerning your post would you please enlighten me as to how this Helps UNC basketball at the present time? Thank you...

Everything posted here doesn't have to "help" UNC basketball. Some people here, including myself, are very interested in how former Tar Heels are doing.

Last edited:
Everything posted here doesn't have to "help" UNC basketball. Some people here, including myself, are very interested in how former Tar Heels are doing.
That is great. However, by posting numbers of players who no longer wanted to be at UNC, it in and of itself is a constant reminder of last season and the past associated with it. Again, it does not help UNC in any way, shape or form imo...

That is great. However, by posting numbers of players who no longer wanted to be at UNC, it in and of itself is a constant reminder of last season and the past associated with it. Again, it does not help UNC in any way, shape or form imo...

First, just because they are now playing at another school, does not mean they didn't want to be at UNC anymore. There may have been some circumstances where the choice was essentially made for them, or they got information they didn't like so they felt they had to move on. Second, you don't have to read this thread if you don't like it.

Updated the OP chart.

Caleb, Dontrez and Justin seem to be thriving. The other guys are doing OK.

The Portal is a mixed blessing, but it's nice to see that it's helped some and (apparently) hasn't hurt anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT