Meanwhile, Duke is losing 3 starters, along with their 7th and 8th men

Filipowski​
McCain​
Mitchell​
Young​
Blakes​

... and are waiting to hear from 1 more starter

Roach​

Some other players might still make changes but that's how it looks now (without looking at bench warmers and scrubs).

On the incoming side, we have a sweet 3-man freshman class, 2 of whom rank in the top 10

9 - Ian Jackson (SG)​
10 - Drake Powell (SF)​
108 - James Brown (C)​

Duke's incoming class is even more packed, being 6 strong with 5 in the top 20

1 - Cooper Flagg (SF)​
3 - Khaman Maluach (C)​
12 - Isaiah Evans (SF)​
17 - Kon Knueppel (SF)​
18 - Patrick Ngongba II (C)​
51 - Darren Harris (SF)​

Interesting how Scheyer loaded up on SFs - although I assume Flagg will play PF.

Obviously both teams are waiting for some shoes to drop, but if this assessment is correct, how does it look to you?

Odds on RJ and Harrison

30% they both return​
55% one returns, but not both​
15% they're both gone​
Harrison more likely to leave than RJ, but not by a whole lot.​

Just guessing.

I think it very likely that one will return. I don't think it is too crazy to think that both might. I'm pretty confident we will have a really strong team that can contend for ACC and get a high seed in the NCAA.

Which of these becomes the designated tripper:

1 - Cooper Flagg (SF)
3 - Khaman Maluach (C)
12 - Isaiah Evans (SF)
17 - Kon Knueppel (SF)
18 - Patrick Ngongba II (C)

It must be one of them or do they train them all like the runner-up in a beauty pageant, in case the designated tripper is unable to execute their intended role?

Cooper Flagg will get to carry the banner of dook player that can play the final 15 minutes of the game with 4 fouls and never foul out.

#12 or #17 would be my bet! Just good enough not to need to cheat, but not good enough to refuse if asked!

If we don’t bring in a couple of big guys, their front line is going to kill us. Maluach is NBA ready right now. I’m afraid he and Flagg are going to dominate.

Unless they are having some locker room issues by then I do not have a lot of faith unless something drastic happens in the portal. Dook will be REALLY good next year even if Flagg is only half as good as advertised.

Unless they are having some locker room issues by then I do not have a lot of faith unless something drastic happens in the portal. Dook will be REALLY good next year even if Flagg is only half as good as advertised.

Freshmen laden teams don't scare me like they used to. Bring it on and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
If we don’t bring in a couple of big guys, their front line is going to kill us. Maluach is NBA ready right now. I’m afraid he and Flagg are going to dominate.
My duke buddy is telling me the dukie insiders are feeling Maluch is really raw, that he may be as much as 3yrs away, that the guy they think is the bigger threat is Ndongo, just passing that along. He is telling me that they are actually expecting more from Stewart than Maluch next season. Flagg is going to be really good for a freshman, I would suggest maybe more than Matt Hurt but not flopperkalski as a soph. Flagg isn't the biggest guy around, very athletic for his length but he will not be pushing many ACC 4s and 5s around either.

My duke buddy is telling me the dukie insiders are feeling Maluch is really raw, that he may be as much as 3yrs away, that the guy they think is the bigger threat is Ndongo, just passing that along. He is telling me that they are actually expecting more from Stewart than Maluch next season. Flagg is going to be really good for a freshman, I would suggest maybe more than Matt Hurt but not flopperkalski as a soph. Flagg isn't the biggest guy around, very athletic for his length but he will not be pushing many ACC 4s and 5s around either.
Don't like where he went, but Flagg seems like a true top tier instant impact one and done to me.

I read Maluach is expected to be the top NBA draft pick in 2025.

I believe the Draft and the Portal now have a Roach problem!
Yep he gone. Too bad Proctor stayed or they'd basically have no experience returning. They are the preseason champs with the recruiting class on par with like 2011-12 Kentucky - hopefully doesn't work out for them as well, and hopefully the shine starts to wear off Duke a bit at some point on the recruiting front. With the right returns from the portal (and/or 'returns' of RJ and Harrison) we should hopefully be plenty good to compete with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT