ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Iona Game Thread

They've got 4 starters who shoot over 35% from 3 and they take a lot of 3s.

Their center is as tall as Garrison.

After that we'll be 3-6 inches taller at every position.

Their top 4 reserves are 6'7 - 6'11.

They have a 6'6 kid who hits a high % from 2, and will likely be matched up against Luke.

They have a 6'4 kid who hits 45% from 3 and will likely be matched up against Cam.

I like those matchups, but they definitely have the makeup of a team that can bother us.

They're seeded so low because they started 2-9 and play in a weak conference. But yikes I don't like this as a first round game.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Personally, I am not going to feel nervous about this game. I will save my nervousness for the next game.

Well - my only nervousness will be ensuring we leave the game with everyone healthy. Would love for Leaky to get 10+ minutes, and get quite a few minutes for Seventh, and some for Big Ster if we get out to a big lead.

I don't remember which Kentucky kid it was, but when they were up by 35, some Abilene Christian kid did a blatant undercut of him on a FT in garbage time. Totally dirty play, got a flagrant foul for it. The UK kid landed on his shoulder and was screaming in pain.

Something like that is the last thing we need, even if only up by like 10 points, late.

Definitely have to bring the defensive intensity. Don't even let them have any semblance of hope.
It's been a week since they played, and they are coming off a bitter loss to the dbags. I don't think they will have a problem bringing intensity.

Now if they get up by 20+ then yes it will be hard to keep intensity, but hopefully we rotate in other guys at that point.

I just hope Kenny and Cam and Luke keep driving home to all the guys (including the freshmen, who likely are one and done too) that this is the last chance they have at getting a title - come out every game like your college basketball life depends on getting a stop on the next possession, and getting a score on the other end.

At least have that mentality until game is in hand. Don't take off any posessions, don't take anything for granted.

Its time for rubber hits the road. Kenny and Cam have spoken the importance of each game minute going forward. So anticipating two focused Tar Heels. Lukes effort will be there, no doubt. Not sure what to expect from Nas, so his early minutes will be critical to his playing time.

One concern in watching these early games is how hard every team has played. Good to get a 1 seed to ease into this fray. We could recover from a slow start this first game but after this one it is a fight. Carolina is going to have to be strong because referees are letting physical play on the ball, lots of latitude. Im concerned about our physicality. Our bench guys need to bring the fight when called upon.

. . Carolina is going to have to be strong because referees are letting physical play on the ball, lots of latitude. Im concerned about our physicality. Our bench guys need to bring the fight when called upon.
Yes. And....
hstorically, officials subconsciously seem to let the outmanned huge underdog teams get away with a lot more uncalled contact, because they are "playing uphill"so much. That will be the case for Iona, and could be the case for the next round too, if it is Utah St.

Heels need to just focus first on scoring in the paint IMO, and totally exploiting their physical size, jump, quickness, rebounding superiority.

Settling for outside shots all night long just gives away the Heels advantage over a less gifted team.

Just when you think you can't love these guys any more....you hear the emotion in Roy's voice and you realize they are even better Tar Heel Family than even we thought!

I know this team will not go down easy. I fully expect us to scrap, defend, shoot, and flat out hustle our way to the FF and then...….I would find it hard to bet against us! Win or lose, I know we will be proud of this team in the end!

Heels are King Again!
Go Tar Heels!

We have heard Kenny and Cam and Luke speak about how they are not happy at all with how last year ended. Cam hasn't been around for anything of note in the tourney. It is crystal clear in their heads and hearts, this is the last chance. No more "we'll bounce back from the loss and get better" like they could say earlier this year.

I wouldn't even be opposed to the guys viewing some film of postgame when they or other Heels teams came up short in the past - just to visualize how sudden and real and painful it is to not get where you want to be, and have no more chances at redemption (like Brice and Marcus).

Maybe Duke or UK will win it all, but that sort of experience and mindset of learning and growing from past failure or pain or coming up short - is something I think the Heels (seniors anyway) can benefit from, that is just hard to instill in OAD Dook and UK freshmen most concerned with how many days until they get paid. If things get tough in the tourney, do they have the experience to learn from to dig deep and show resolve? I don't think so.

Heels need to just focus first on scoring in the paint IMO, and totally exploiting their physical size, jump, quickness, rebounding superiority.

Settling for outside shots all night long just gives away the Heels advantage over a less gifted team.
A big AMEN to this. Dominate the paint.

A team that shoots a lot of 3's creates run outs. As long as they aren't other worldly unconscious shooting this should be 25+ tonight

Reactions: Heelicious
Man, this is a long wait until we play. At least dook isn't playing at the same time, because I'm sure CBS will put the Z-cam on all four channels so no one will miss his every move.
I hate being one of the last or THE last team to play in each day / round but some of that is to be expected in that we (along with Dook) are a big national audience and following prime time draw.

A team that shoots a lot of 3's creates run outs. As long as they aren't other worldly unconscious shooting this should be 25+ tonight
Yah I could see us running them until they just get totally gassed. And gassed leads to short / off 3s. and bad 3's to runouts like you said. A wonderful cycle for us I hope.

Reactions: Spacegrass
Should get Nas as many minutes as possible tonight to save Garrisons legs and so Nas can get a flow going on offense.

Reactions: Heelicious
Assuming we win tonight l, who would we rather play next between Utah state and Washington?
I think Washington from what I've heard. I think I've heard Utah State is really well coached, and disciplined, and methodical - hard to match up against or build a strong lead against them.

I think Washington from what I've heard. I think I've heard Utah State is really well coached, and disciplined, and methodical - hard to match up against or build a strong lead against them.
Yeah they sound UVA-ish, especially if they are a good 3 point shooting team. then let’s avoid them for sure.

The only thing UNC has to fear, is fear itself!

Did somebody already say something like that years ago??

;):D;)
I have it on a T-shirt

SptXKZiEJLFJ4f3HAulKXKcMQU94XqmBFC4FimnvEvqv7ZKLYPQZT-sY_sgvXNkGj-LQJ4pG0D5PCI8DeGFUW6pGl01KmmY2O5GfeFruilkiwGhtfjgHurARkDSzsHPeoTlJ71PIkj3UsSt8LzHwPuRGFFr7u19NUoRbUTLT6XNwhVdxLgBEiROJX86pKqwa_19SVi6O_9vQWinUT8K3qIdx_FH8_Wfs0o-lMPrsXgp1vT6Np1QsEKrVheWZIR_GL0xQi8zTzf4IuYlOD92b0hCBAtPnrRhmFio9DdxdkxgAO8omvRwFd4kNpOhjyeJm28Wt1uE7AQX6B9OeXRFePDvM9tZtsXdsFvYmT0n4StA-xhsDyUMGnI0vfPtfpUOPiKnI3Jab0jqVFN8l37ivn14xm8xf-gmIhqxAYKn6HCClsEUY5lOUPEUo9qxX476mNrGJCsQh5qTVn31ubOsibBmpq-kEXFMkUwe4YCu2fnJ28V_epL6FYhCrSkh_9J-ZRJOKsOSga8RK-0xqNEX0yktbbuj-xTFZoN0cxXZ7M542j_1K8yswOsmfqe5RDnwq73jcdIO1XAt_ibEeKFvltaDBtQ3NEU3OLpIHXP7xHA5egZ5CYq1_kpXsHTP2KnVrbnhKURCPIAJWaQV3VkV5QazJMchaM0c=w628-h607-no

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think we have some c and d level announcers at this game - and in studio. Everyone but heywood can’t even get names and grades right. The Tennessee chick called cam Johnson cam reddish. Then the game announcers talked about freshman cam Johnson leading the Heels. Just sloppy.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT