ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Iona Game Thread

So they are talking abut McGll talking smack to our guys? Really? As Little slams one down.’’yeah, how’d that work out for you big man?

Reactions: Heelicious
Im proud of the improvement Luke has made but man ive never seen an All Acc level player make as many bad fouls and bad passes as him

Seventh Woods is just awful.
Two things stuck out to me (other than Nas Beast Mode all game when we had him on the floor):

1) even though it ended up in a foul for us, I loved that play when we had two or three guys dive for a loose ball when we were up by about 15. That epitomized our better hustle and defense second half. Seems we had a ton of steals, and basically got almost all of the 50-50 balls.
2) Will be interesting to see how we get Coby rest, because it looks like he may need to play like 38+ a game. Its hard to imagine any human can turn it over as often, as quickly as Seventh. He can't even run out the clock right. Has like two TO's per minute of play. At least his shots are stone cold bricks. I am not kidding - I don't think we'd be any worse with Baby Jet out there. (don't say Platek). Maybe Leaky can spell Coby some eventually, but I don't think we have any options who know enough about running the offense, and have enough skill to not be a liability for us.

55-35 second half
....and Iona made it a lot closer looking in the end than it really was, with hitting a couple late threes, and we let up, and Seventh did Seventh things. If we just went to Nas every time down, and if he didn't score, kick it out to Cam for a 3, we couldve won by 30

A little rough first half for my taste, but I'll take it. One game at a time.
Right. It's nice when you can get something of a wakeup call, and it comes against an average at best tourney team, where you don't need a miracle comeback. If we had the first half we had against any team especially after this weekend, we'd likely have been going home, or have eeked out a win at the buzzer.

So I hope Roy can use this to teach the guys. I don't think anyone (outside of Nas) is going to feel good about how this game went as a whole.

On a scale from 1-10 this was about a 5 performance wise and Iona was about a 8 and hit 15 threes. Still win by 15 , it wasn't pretty but keep on moving. Washington has some versatile athletes and will be tough. I was hoping they lost.

Right. It's nice when you can get something of a wakeup call, and it comes against an average at best tourney team, where you don't need a miracle comeback. If we had the first half we had against any team especially after this weekend, we'd likely have been going home, or have eeked out a win at the buzzer.

So I hope Roy can use this to teach the guys. I don't think anyone (outside of Nas) is going to feel good about how this game went as a whole.

Agreed 100%. And it's good that it came early.

Our last couple of roads to the Final Four have had some bumps thrown in there. Arkansas brought it down to the wire in 2017. FGCU was only down 1 in 2016. LSU in 2009. etc. Roy'll make sure they learn from it and move on.

We don’t need to lose sight of some issues that need to be addressed after tonight though. Brooks has been awful defensively against Duke last game and now tonight. He’s got to bring effort and discipline from here on out. He was awful. Luke has got to stay within himself. Nothing good happens when he puts the ball on the floor so please
Stop. Also he has got to finish at the rim. He left 6-8 points off the board by missing layups. We also need BRob to be productive off the bench. He turned it over and didn’t play especially well defensively. Leaky should spell Coby when he needs a minute here and there. Seventh Woods is simply not UNC level talent at PG. not a knock on the young man personally but it’s almost impossible to
Turn it over as often as he does in so little game time. Great game by Nas. Let’s hope we ratchet up the intensity out of the gate on sunday if we want to keep playing. You can’t have another half like that the rest of the tournament.

Seventh Woods and his last turnover was the most mind-boggling thing I've seen in a while.

Or how many times has he turned it over with that whole dribble with left hand and side arm pass with same left hand out of bounds? Like my goodness, you aren’t good enough with 2 hands, what makes you think using only 1 is going to improve your situation?

Reactions: Heelicious
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT