ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs UK Alumni Game?

Coach Calipari said he wanted to do something to honor Dean Smith. A significant part of the money raised will go to charities in Coach Smith's name. Calipari wrote the nice article on Coach Smith last year and has spoke so highly of him on many occasions. I can't think of a high profile coach other than Roy himself that has been as complimentary of Coach Smith as Cal. I would hope the insults could stop as this is a good cause. I would like this every year for charities, food banks, coats for kids, etc.

He did say UK will win the game, we don't know who will play yet. Towns was with him speaking today and is going to try if timing is right
As far as Anthony Davis, Cousins, and Wall, they could have conflicts if Team USA has scheduling, thus would make it much more even. I think the players will all look to gave fun, very little defense and lot of dunks. Charities win, and Coach Smith's name will be honored.

Lastly, we should tank the players from both teams who have given their time and risk of injury to make some cash for these charities, great to see the unselfishness and desire to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: GACMAN and MWes11
Coach Calipari said he wanted to do something to honor Dean Smith. A significant part of the money raised will go to charities in Coach Smith's name. Calipari wrote the nice article on Coach Smith last year and has spoke so highly of him on many occasions. I can't think of a high profile coach other than Roy himself that has been as complimentary of Coach Smith as Cal. I would hope the insults could stop as this is a good cause. I would like this every year for charities, food banks, coats for kids, etc.

He did say UK will win the game, we don't know who will play yet. Towns was with him speaking today and is going to try if timing is right
As far as Anthony Davis, Cousins, and Wall, they could have conflicts if Team USA has scheduling, thus would make it much more even. I think the players will all look to gave fun, very little defense and lot of dunks. Charities win, and Coach Smith's name will be honored.

Lastly, we should tank the players from both teams who have given their time and risk of injury to make some cash for these charities, great to see the unselfishness and desire to help.

If this was truely to honor Dean then the game would be played in the area that is named after him, so peddle that justification elsewhere.

I am not actually opposed to the game, wondering why Zeller has not been mentioned IMO he and Henson would start and in a strange twist Hansbourgh would come off the bench. I think it would be awesome for the heels to beat the Ky team during Kal's fantasy camp, talk about killing a fantasy!

I completely agree with all of that. Calipari has been very vocal about his love and admiration for Coach Smith. And I too have read several articles where Cal states that he models his style after Dean.

And the rest of your post is accurate as well. UK won't be sending out all of their All-Stars for several reasons. 1 - they'll have Team USA commitments, 2 - I think a few of them have too much to lose by playing in this game and 3 - I'm not sure but I would be guess that some of them just don't feel the strong connection to UK based on the fact they only spent about 9 months there.

But whoever does participate should indeed be thanked for giving of their time to put on a show in the name of charity.

Looking forward to it. When will rosters be announced? Anyone?

Reactions: GACMAN
I just hate the idea of this game. It is a win-win for UK and a lose-lose for UNC. It'll be nationally televised, in rupp arena, packed house, full of 5 star recruits all watching UK pros beat the crap out of UNC pros. This is nothing more than Cal pimping his program at UNC's expense. Nothing good will come out of this for us. Their roster is insanely talented while ours is mediocre.

^^^^ I agree 100% but I still got 4 tickets to go. If we can get Lawson, Green , Psycho T, Davis to play with Barnes , Henson & Wallace we can play with them. We just need ALL our boys to participate.

^^^^ I agree 100% but I still got 4 tickets to go. If we can get Lawson, Green , Psycho T, Davis to play with Barnes , Henson & Wallace we can play with them. We just need ALL our boys to participate.

Let's get Julius Peppers. If we can't win, we can at least hurt somebody.

I was also told last night that Cal asked Jordan if he'd be interested in coaching the UNC team. Apparently MJ has a commitment out of the country.
I find it VERY hard to believe Cal contacted MJ about coaching. NO WAY IN HELL does he want the biggest star in the building to be a UNC person.

I love this because I get to see great players play basketball! I don't think we will lose either. We are UNC and we never go into ANY bball game with no chance of winning. This is a charity exhibition and will not be played with any seriousness until the last 10-15 minutes. If the game is close going into the last "quarter", we should see a fun and competitive game. If we are blowing them out, it will continue to be just fun exhibition. Cal and his kitties never scared me at any time, and we always play them well!

Here are the UNC players rumored to be playing:

Sheed
Stack
Barnes
Green
Henson
Felton
Dex
Noel
JMM

Good group but I'm disappointed in some others - especially Antawn. He's not even playing anymore. I understand Lawson not playing as he's dealing with new city, team and repairing his image. I understand Vince not playing. He's about done and probably wants to save everything for what is likely his last season. But no Zeller? Hansbrough (shocked by that)? Weezy?

Starters have to be:
Ray
Danny
Barnes
Henson
Sheed

^^^agreed.. Shocked Hans,Davis, Zeller & Ellington aren't playing.

I'm not shocked Davis isn't playing. He just doesn't seem "true blue" to me. He seems more like the type that was just going through the college motions. There just never seemed to be that deep connection that most of our players get. It's whatever. I don't necessarily dislike the guy for it. He treated more as a business decision and that's fine.

Hans, Zeller and Wayne are curious absences though.

Reactions: Tru Blu Tar Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT