ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Washington Game Thread

Washington is 345th nationally in DR%, UNC is 17th in OR%. One of the difficulties in playing zone is consistently finding box out responsibilities. We must control the glass, limiting their second chance opportunities and maximizing ours.

Their coach is a former assistant under Boeheim and his zone is similar. We mustn’t settle for threes, especially early in the shot clock. We have to attack the zone with passing, getting the ball into the gut of the zone as we’ve done successfully recently against Syracuse. Like Syracuse, they have long, athletic guys playing the top of the 2-3 zone who love to get into the passing lanes for steals and easy baskets, they force a lot of TO’s. We must utilize ball fakes and make crisp passes on the perimeter to avoid these TO’s.

Lastly, we must come out of the gate playing with the intensity level we displayed in the second half of the last game. If not, we’ll be in trouble.

Washington is 345th nationally in DR%, UNC is 17th in OR%. One of the difficulties in playing zone is consistently finding box out responsibilities. We must control the glass, limiting their second chance opportunities and maximizing ours.

Their coach is a former assistant under Boeheim and his zone is similar. We mustn’t settle for threes, especially early in the shot clock. We have to attack the zone with passing, getting the ball into the gut of the zone as we’ve done successfully recently against Syracuse. Like Syracuse, they have long, athletic guys playing the top of the 2-3 zone who love to get into the passing lanes for steals and easy baskets, they force a lot of TO’s. We must utilize ball fakes and make crisp passes on the perimeter to avoid these TO’s.

Lastly, we must come out of the gate playing with the intensity level we displayed in the second half of the last game. If not, we’ll be in trouble.
Fortunately, Roy’s UNC teams have done well vs Syracuse (8-2, IIRC); and we do have the familiarity of playing that zone in our favor. If we win, I still expect a grueling game.

GO HEELS!

The fact that we have played well against he zone is a plus BUT we gotta bring it today No "wake up" at Halftime. Play a full game and play our game. limit the TOs and hit some threes Heels by 9

GO HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a height advantage and a scoring advantage at most positions. By the numbers we are comparable on defense but have a clear advantage on offense.

We take care of business, we win.

[below info from TOS]

Projected UNC Starters:
32 Luke Maye (6-8, 240, Sr.) – 14.8 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.4 apg
24 Kenny Williams (6-4, 185, Sr.) – 8.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.5 apg
13 Cameron Johnson (6-9, 210, Gr.) – 17.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.3 apg
15 Garrison Brooks (6-9, 230, So.) – 8.1 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.2 apg
2 Coby White (6-5, 185, Fr.) - 16.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 4.2 apg

Projected Washington Starters:
1 David Crisp (6-0, 185, Sr.) – 12.3 ppg, 2.7 apg
4 Matisse Thybulle (6-5, 200, Sr.) – 9.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.3 bpg
5 Jaylen Nowell (6-4, 200, So.) – 16.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.2 apg
13 Hameir Wright (6-9, 215, So.) – 2.8 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 1.5 bpg
15 Noah Dickerson (6-8, 245, Sr.) – 12.4 ppg, 7.5 rpg

Key Washington Reserves:
11 Nahziah Carter (6-6, 205, So.) – 8.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg
22 Dominic Green (6-6, 200, Sr.) - 6.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg
0 Jamal Bey (6-6, 205, Fr.) – 0.8 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 0.3 apg

Reactions: DeuceManJones
Do Not Throw that stupid flat pass across the front of the zone on offense! I hate when peeps that don't handle it much just pivot and throw that pass without paying attention to the D AND the receiver just waits for the ball. I love ball reversal, but I don't know how many times this careless pass leads to a run out and energizes the opponent! Get the ball to the freethrow area and dismantle the zone from the inside!

As others have mentioned, playing Syracuse yearly helps with familiarity to their zone scheme. Just like when we play the Cuse, hopefully we attack the zone. High/low post dump downs, kick outs, and solid work being a threat at the free throw line from Luke & Cam flashing middle.

Reactions: Occy64
The thing that worries me is Luke's shot. He has been ice cold lately. Don't know what's up with that.

We have a lot of dangerous guys who can catch the pass around the free throw line to collapse the zone. If its Cam then they have to close out on his jump shot and he's a good passer who can get the ball down to our post guys when they come open.

We have a lot of dangerous guys who can catch the pass around the free throw line to collapse the zone. If its Cam then they have to close out on his jump shot and he's a good passer who can get the ball down to our post guys when they come open.

All about our defense and rebounding...

If I have to watch that “Let’s get ready to rumble” guy one more time I’m going to lose it.

Hopefully Kenny and Luke can find their outside touch against the Washington zone. Would be great to start out hot build a lead and then maybe Nas build on first round performance plus let Leaky get some good minutes. I think those 2 are the X factors for what they can bring off the bench.

Two words: SHORT CORNER. Love to see us eat it up like Meeks and Jackson did against Syracuse a couple of seasons ago in the tourney. Then it's BOMBS AWAY!

Need to get a few more features on Wally and the Chuckster before the game can start.

Atta boy Kenny.

Need Cam to get locked in from 3. We're going to need him to make these open looks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT