ADVERTISEMENT

*UPDATED: BRACKETS HAVE BEEN SET* OOTB Chain Restaurants Tourney

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
UPDATE: We are just going to do a general nomination and wittle it down to 64 chain restaurants. Nominate anything that's a chain... and the chain must be Southeastern regional OR truly national. If it is a really localized chain like Smithfield, we can decide if that counts or not. I'm going to just throw out some I like and then y'all can nominate your own.

**We have to get to 64** So if you like something I nominate in this poast, please copy and paste it in your poast (or just quote it) so it can receive another vote. Also keep in mind that we're going to need some "low seeds" in this thing. So don't forget to nominate some you don't necessarily love in addition to your favorites

1. Wendy's
  2. Bojangles
  3. Cook-Out
  4. Waffle House
  5. Outback Steakhouse
  6. Arby's
  7. Jersey Mike's
  8. Firehouse Subs
  9. Zaxby's
  10. Chick-fil-A
  11. McDonald's
  12. Moe's
  13. Chipotle
  14. Subway
  15. Dickey's BBQ
  16. Hooters
  17. Longhorn Steakhouse
  18. Applebee's
  19. Steak 'n Shake
  20. Dunkin' Donuts
  21. Krispy Kreme
  22. Five Guys
  23. O'Charley's
  24. Domino's
  25. Papa John's
  26. Jimmy John's

Last edited:
As soon as the TV Show Tourney ends, we must keep the tourney train rolling. My idea is a chain restaurants tourney, but I'm open to tweaks or changes, so give me your opinions. A few things to note up front:

1. If you're one of those snobby d*uches who says things like "Oh I never eat at chain restaurants," kindly GFY.
2. See Note 1.
3. I'd like to keep this to a regional / truly national split, since almost all of us are based in and from the Southeast. What I mean is if you're going to nominate a regional chain, it should be something like Bojangles, Chick-fil-A, or Smithfield. Don't nominate In-N-Out which most of the board has never eaten.

Ideas for themed regions? Or do you just want to nominate and then seed based on nominations? I'm torn on if I liked the "themed regions" from the TV Show Tourney. It killed a lot of good candidates, while crap from the "Miscellaneous" bracket advanced really far. My tentative idea for four regions is:

Fast Food A
Fast Food B
Quick Serve (sit down but it's in and out like Waffle House)
Sit-Down (Hooter's, Outback, et al)

Thoughts? Once we decide on a method of attack, we can either start nominating in this thread or create group nomination threads.
Those regions sound good to me. If you are going to run it, then I'm cool with whatever you want to do.

Bojangles.

Tournament over.
Wow, you ruined a thread on the first response post. That's got to be some kind of record.

Bojangles.

Tournament over.
giphy.gif

Reactions: heelz2345
Those regions sound good to me. If you are going to run it, then I'm cool with whatever you want to do.
I'll let some other folks chime in before setting it in stone. I kinda like the idea of seeding the whole field, but I don't know how you'd do it with the few number of participants we have. If you had 1000 people all nominating 64, it would be possible to just seed based on votes, but not with like 15 people.

My tentative idea for four regions is:

Fast Food A
Fast Food B
Quick Serve (sit down but it's in and out like Waffle House)
Sit-Down (Hooter's, Outback, et al)

My suggestion would be to have only one fast food region, especially if quick serve places like Waffle House have a separate category. Then you can either add a dessert/other restaurant type place like a Cold Stone Creamery or something like that. Or, if that's too far away from an actual restaurant, we could split the sit-down region into more casual ones like Hooter's. And have a sit down region of more formal places like a Capital Grille or something like that.

It's your party, so go with what you want though.

My suggestion would be to have only one fast food region, especially if quick serve places like Waffle House have a separate category. Then you can either add a dessert/other restaurant type place like a Cold Stone Creamery or something like that. Or, if that's too far away from an actual restaurant, we could split the sit-down region into more casual ones like Hooter's. And have a sit down region of more formal places like a Capital Grille or something like that.

It's your party, so go with what you want though.
How would you do a dessert region? There's like.... Brusters, Cold Stone, and......? lol.

So any other ideas for region groups? And any thoughts on Hark's proposed Dessert/Miscellaneous region? I guess pizza delivery joints like Domino's could fit nicely into said region. And even Smoothie King

So any other ideas for region groups? And any thoughts on Hark's proposed Dessert/Miscellaneous region? I guess pizza delivery joints like Domino's could fit nicely into said region. And even Smoothie King

Let's just get to the nominations, so we can get to the voting, so I can get back to being pissed off at everyone for their horrible votes.

I think we should just do Miscellaneous for places like Cold Stone Cremery, Krispy Kreme, Starbucks, etc.

By the way, I'm not sure if Steak & Shake is considered fast food, quick serve or sit-down, considering it has a drive thru plus a traditional dining area with waitors/waitresses as well.

Also, if we go with desserts, misc. or whatever, is Dairy Queen considered one of those or fast food? They're known for desserts, but they have locations with traditional fast food items too.

This might be difficult.

By the way, I'm not sure if Steak & Shake is considered fast food, quick serve or sit-down, considering it has a drive thru plus a traditional dining area with waitors/waitresses as well.
It's just considered amazing.

But I'd tentatively lump it into fast food since most people tend to get it to go, rather than utilize their sit-down-with-a-waitress option.

Also, if we go with desserts, misc. or whatever, is Dairy Queen considered one of those or fast food? They're known for desserts, but they have locations with traditional fast food items too.
It's just considered bad.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
It's just considered amazing.

But I'd tentatively lump it into fast food since most people tend to get it to go, rather than utilize their sit-down-with-a-waitress option.
You're the boss for this, but I was thinking that since they have a waitress it would be quick serve instead of fast food.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I have. Usually go down there for the Mexican food. Going tomorrow night, Margarita night! The mexican is awesome.
You're a brave soul. After a margarita or two, I'd fall asleep at the wheel driving 25 miles home.

Also, how much does it creep you out that I was pretty dang close with my mileage estimate from your front door to the DQ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT