ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (BC game - ACCT)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
..and go ahead and say it, I know what you're thinking.

"Where has that been all season?" And it's a fair question, but let's enjoy it:

- Once we figured out their little wrinkle of creating 15 ft pull-ups off top curls, there was little easy for BC.

- But... what was more refreshing was on the offensive end --- better ball-movement off the pass (less dribbling), mostly good takes and shot-selection (at least 90% of them), good timing on kick-outs, etc... and the results actually matched(!)

- And maybe most refreshing of all?--- an actual functioning sub rotation, using the right players mostly the way they should be. Speaking of that, this is 2 games in a row in which Dunn and Styles get consistent minutes, and even just that changed their confidence levels.

- Tight execution to start the second half pretty much took the starch outta BC

- Finally, I REALLY hope this wasn't a one-time deal for tonight's opponent... and I also really hope Mando's ankle responds tomorrow -- that next day is usually the roughest... :oops:

Anyway, good start, and we're gonna need to repeat tomight's shot-selection and replicate that 40 minutes of effort from the last UVA game --- and a good way to do that is keeping fresh legs... :cool:
-

Last edited:
The two players that the fan base have criticized most this year (Love and Nance) I felt were the big heroes tonight. I realize it will be hard for some to give credit to these two guys but Nance did score in double digits and was a big difference maker playing defense and Love scored 22 points and most of them came on drives.

The bench contributed at least 20 points and most importantly gave the starters some badly needed rest on the bench.

Other than being a much better team than BC, in what way, exactly? The Pack Line is as it's always been, and all the more reason to approach things the way we did tonight.
UVA will grab and hack like they always do, including beyond the 3pt line. For most of the game BC was applying very little pressure to our ball handlers. Eventually they started trapping late in the game.

The two players that the fan base have criticized most this year (Love and Nance) I felt were the big heroes tonight. I realize it will be hard for some to give credit to these two guys but Nance did score in double digits and was a big difference maker playing defense and Love scored 22 points and most of them came on drives.

The bench contributed at least 20 points and most importantly gave the starters some badly needed rest on the bench.
Pete had his best defensive night at the 5, and was a scoring threat as well, and yes, this may have been Caleb's best take/shot-selection game.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
UVA will grab and hack like they always do, including beyond the 3pt line. For most of the game BC was applying very little pressure to our ball handlers. Eventually they started trapping late in the game.
As I said, we know that --- it's a long-time feature of their Pack Line. We handled it pretty well last time -- need to do it again, and stay committed to better movement and shot-selection.

3 balls falling makes for a completely different dynamic. Good to get a lead and cruise for sure.

Ashton- Langford did come out the box torching RJ, and as has happened so often, Leaky got switched to him and that was the end of that, locked up. Other then his start, BC shoots the 3 worse then us this year, that made for a easy night defensively as we happily went under most screens. Not a very physical game, and with the cushion got much more bench time then usual.

At least Mando's ankle turn was not of the land on a foot variety. Playing daily in a tournament format is far from an ideal scenario if you must tweak one though.

No doubt. And the best thing that happened for Nance was Bacot tweaking his ankle. I hope the staff noticed it. He is tuff to deal with on the block. And holy wow to his blocks. He’s shown that part for sure.

..and go ahead and say it, I know what you're thinking.

"Where has that been all season?" And it's a fair question, but let's enjoy it:

- Once we figured out their little wrinkle of creating 15 ft pull-ups off top curls, there was little easy for BC.

- But... what was more refreshing was on the offensive end --- better ball-movement off the pass (less dribbling), mostly good takes and shot-selection (at least 90% of them), good timing on kick-outs, etc... and the results actually matched(!)

- And maybe most refreshing of all?--- an actual functioning sub rotation, using the right players mostly the way they should be. Speaking of that, this is 2 games in a row in which Dunn and Styles get consistent minutes, and even just that changed their confidence levels.

- Tight execution to start the second half pretty much took the starch outta BC

- Finally, I REALLY hope this wasn't a one-time deal for tonight's opponent... and I also really hope Mando's ankle responds tomorrow -- that next day is usually the roughest... :oops:

Anyway, good start, and we're gonna need to repeat tomight's shot-selection and replicate that 40 minutes of effort from the last UVA game --- and a good way to do that is keeping fresh legs... :cool:
-
We’ll said Gary. I loved that we played with focus and purpose! We passed and moved without the Basketball. Got bench help. Hubert and the staff had them ready, and tonight we knocked down shots. You’re correct on the UVA game. Effort, shot-selection, and execution for 40 minutes! Nance was good, Leakey attacked the rim, Caleb took good shots, RJ is a good leader. I hope Bacot is ok- he is one tough warrior who loves playing for The Heels. Go Heels!

IN GAME 32 of the season, we finally got to see what all the preseason hype was about.
The urgency, defensive intensity, commitment to transition basketball, joyful exuberance for team success.
And the shot-making, shots created by crisp ball movement, energetic player movement, and excellent spacing.
Congratulations to the entire team and staff for that effort.
Forty minutes of the same oughta get it done vs the Hoos. GO HEELS!

I really put nothing into what was seen last night. UNC had BC so overmatched in talent and physical skills that is was, and should have been the mismatch, that we saw. The one improvement I saw was that we finally didn’t see Caleb jacking up his threes from the logo. He took them pretty much from within the offense, and it worked better for all. I also like the fact that Leaky didn’t act like the first option on offense like he did during the Duke game and did the things he does well to help things flow. But it was BC. UVA isn’t going to give up such easy scores. Hopefully Bacots ankle comes around as without him it would be almost an impossible task

We played pretty well, did what we needed to do in that we won and it was not close, so good job. I like that Caleb and RJ shot well, tells me they may like the back drop of the facility, meaning they may see it as a shooters gym they are comfortable in. Hope that carries over for them.

It was one game down from having to win all these ACCT games, 3 more to go.

Were the shots falling because we were running an offense or could run the offense because the shots were falling? Last nigh proved what everyone already knew, if the 3's are falling UNC can be an exceptional team. There did seem to be more effort and intensity on the defensive end.

As others mentioned the sub pattern seemed timed and logical (except for Bacot's injury causing some shuffling). My only frustration is why was that not being done in November? I understand earning playing time and player development through practice but all I heard pre-season was how the staff realized the iron 5 system from last year was not sustainable over a season.

Last night's W does not put UNC in the dance but a loss would have insured NIT bid. I still think UNC has to either win the ACC or lose a close title game (plus hope major upsets avoided in other tournaments) to have a chance. I will be watching and pulling for the Heels as usual but I am just not excited about this season anymore.

I enjoyed this game thoroughly! Peeps noticed that we look so much better when our perimeter shots fall, but I want to point out that getting good looks from the right spots are WHY they fell! Caleb driving after a pump fake (and Leaky too) ; Bacot, Nance, and others passing out from the post; peeps passing on good to get great; and peeps constantly moving to open spots that the passer can see all contributed to our shooting %! The bench played with effort and confidence and the coaches showed their adjustment to Tourney play! Leaky is a miracle worker on D and everybody else played intelligently and with maximum effort! No matter what peeps think of BC, this type of effort will translate IF it continues!

Go Tar Heels and beat the Hoos!

Reactions: gkss and gary-7
Were the shots falling because we were running an offense or could run the offense because the shots were falling? Last nigh proved what everyone already knew, if the 3's are falling UNC can be an exceptional team.
Not trying to be salty. but that really isn't a question. It is obviously the former.
We executed on offense, passed more, dribbled less, played inside-out, and thus got myriad good looks.
In general, if you need shots to fall to run your offense, then welp... you're not running an offense.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel and gkss
To me the question is will we come out and do it again or will we see lapses in concentration! I am always excited to see the Tar Heels play because something about that Tar Heel Blue just makes me happy! I looked forward to every game during 8-20 and I keep expectations high this season!

Since ACC play has started, has Carolina shot the ball well in back to back games? I know I could look myself, just wasnt sure if someone remembered? If Carolina shoots it well again tonight, it will be a W.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT