ADVERTISEMENT

What you call things

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
It's been touched upon in several threads, and way back when, when someone posted that cool NYT Dialect Quiz. We all have unique names we use to refer to everyday things, events, etc., and I thought this deserved its own thread. So, here's one of mine:

cart.png

I call this a buggy.

Whatchy'all got?

It's been touched upon in several threads, and way back when, when someone posted that cool NYT Dialect Quiz. We all have unique names we use to refer to everyday things, events, etc., and I thought this deserved its own thread. So, here's one of mine:

cart.png

I call this a buggy.

Whatchy'all got?

I'm definitely southern but I call it both cart and buggy. I say soda, which apparently ain't cool. I say y'all, you guys AND you all. It's really interesting to hear my daughters though. They've always been here in the south raised by my very southern accent and my family's yet they do not have a southern accent. Their father is from Michigan but they have never been around them since they were babies. My step father is from Maine but lost his accent since he moved here when he was in his mid 20s.

I'm definitely southern but I call it both cart and buggy. I say soda, which apparently ain't cool. I say y'all, you guys AND you all. It's really interesting to hear my daughters though. They've always been here in the south raised by my very southern accent and my family's yet they do not have a southern accent. Their father is from Michigan but they have never been around them since they were babies. My step father is from Maine but lost his accent since he moved here when he was in his mid 20s.
I've seen the opposite effect too. I've seen daughters acquire HEAVY Southern accents when one or both of their parents don't have a Southern accent or have a very slight one. One of the more amusing things I've seen is I met a girl who went to SCar from Belmont, N.C. Her parents were immigrants from Vietnam but that poor girl couldn't escape the Gaston County twang....she was an Asian with a heavy Southern drawl. I was dumbfounded lol.

I pretty much always say y'all, but I'll mix it up and say you guys for variety's sake if I'm using y'all frequently in a certain time period.

Some of the ones I think might be different (I think we've discussed a few already on other threads)

The thing you use to change the channel on your TV
ZmIxMTM5OTdlZCMvYnIzSUNMMEdLLVMwSHFuYlM3VFp4TkpaRzhVPS84eDg6NDAwMHgyNTQ0Lzg0MHg1MzQvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDcwKS9odHRwczovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy8wNWE0N2RkZDA5OTJlOTVmZjhiM2NjYTNkOWYyMDFkODFlN2YyOWUxMDZmYTk1NDNkZDhiYmVhM2UzOTZhZjAyLmpwZw.jpg

This is a sandwich from a place such as Jersey Mike's
ZDFmMWYwMTJkNCMvX0V0dkFxSTBBNDV1amJSUXBlMUVHcjZ6ZUZVPS84eDg6NDI1NngyODM0Lzg0MHg1NTkvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDcwKS9odHRwczovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy9kNWUwZGVmNTlkNmQ5NTM0ZTFhMDQxZjNhY2EzY2I2ZDM4YTc4OGVkOTY2ZGI2NWZmN2NmNWNmNTk4Y2ZlY2MzLmpwZw.jpg

Toppings for your ice cream. At least for me the pile on the left is called something different from the pile on the right (I guess the word on the picture kinda gives it away)

This is a combination of ice cream and milk

I actually call this what you all call this I assume, but I'm in the minority in part of the country I think:

I actually didn't realize this was called anything else, but apparently it is (I'm talking about the brown thing in the middle, not the peach itself). I'd especially like to hear from the GA contingent on here.

The candy:

I imagine we're all similar for this one, but just curious:

Some of the ones I think might be different (I think we've discussed a few already on other threads)

ZmIxMTM5OTdlZCMvYnIzSUNMMEdLLVMwSHFuYlM3VFp4TkpaRzhVPS84eDg6NDAwMHgyNTQ0Lzg0MHg1MzQvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDcwKS9odHRwczovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy8wNWE0N2RkZDA5OTJlOTVmZjhiM2NjYTNkOWYyMDFkODFlN2YyOWUxMDZmYTk1NDNkZDhiYmVhM2UzOTZhZjAyLmpwZw.jpg

ZDFmMWYwMTJkNCMvX0V0dkFxSTBBNDV1amJSUXBlMUVHcjZ6ZUZVPS84eDg6NDI1NngyODM0Lzg0MHg1NTkvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDcwKS9odHRwczovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy9kNWUwZGVmNTlkNmQ5NTM0ZTFhMDQxZjNhY2EzY2I2ZDM4YTc4OGVkOTY2ZGI2NWZmN2NmNWNmNTk4Y2ZlY2MzLmpwZw.jpg

Toppings for your ice cream. At least for me the pile on the left is called something different from the pile on the right (I guess the word on the picture kinda gives it away)

I actually call this what you all call this I assume, but I'm in the minority in part of the country I think:

I actually didn't realize this was called anything else, but apparently it is (I'm talking about the brown thing in the middle, not the peach itself). I'd especially like to hear from the GA contingent on here.

The candy:

Remote
Hoagie sandwich
Sprinkles
Malt or milkshake
Sofa
Lollipop
Sneakers

On the phone so I don't feel like quoting but here are my answers to everything.

Shopping cart
Lightning bugs
Water fountain
Bathroom (although I've started saying "the loo")
Remote
Sub
Sprinkles
Milkshake
Pit
Lolly pop
Tennis shoes - yes even the basketball kind

cart.png

I call this a buggy.

Whatchy'all got?

Buggy is the term used by octogenarians, so I'm not surprised it's your go to.

What do you call a public place where you urinate and defecate? No, not Carter-Finley Stadium.

- bathroom
- restroom
- washroom (this is what Canadians call it, I have learned)

Bathroom unless I'm trying to sound fancy, then it's restroom.

The candy:

Clicker
Sub
Sprinkles
Milkshake
Sofa/couch
Peachstone
Sucker/lollipop
Cross trainers

I can't remember the numbers...

Cart
Restroom
Fireflies
water fountain (I never knew there was an alternative)
remote
sprinkles
shake
couch
pit
lollipop (when it's a one color, small one in a wrapper, it's a sucker)
tennis shoes

cart
bathroom
fireflies and lightning bugs about equally. No pattern to my usage.
water fountain
board game
remote, but sometimes "changer" for some reason.
sprinkles
milkshake
couch
pit
sucker, usually because lollipop sounds like a kids word for it.
tennis shoes, or just shoes.

The candy:

Remote
Sub
Sprinkles
Milkshake (or shake)
Couch
Pit
Sucker
Tennis shoes or sneakers

The candy:

Remote
Sub
Chocolate sprinkles on the left, sprinkles on the right (I'm assuming that's chocolate)
Milkshake
Couch
Broken image (most likely blocked at work)
Lollipop (I call Dum-Dums, Blo Pops, etc suckers though)
Tennis shoes

cart.png

I call this a buggy.

Whatchy'all got?
Shopping cart (or just "cart")

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT