ADVERTISEMENT

When will we know coordinators

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
As neither Chizik nor Kingsbury is now coaching, if that rumor is true, we could know today. The quicker we have competent coordinators in place the better to try to get in on last minute recruiting for the class of 2019.

The third most important coach for Mack to add quickly is Strength and Conditioning. We desperately need new insights, new techniques.

Adding both Chizik and Kingsbury to the staff would be great. Although I'm also seeing a lot of Kinsbury / NFL talk as well.

If those two do come, it would be interesting to see who becomes the coach in waiting since they both have experience as a head coach.

As neither Chizik nor Kingsbury is now coaching, if that rumor is true, we could know today. The quicker we have competent coordinators in place the better to try to get in on last minute recruiting for the class of 2019.

The third most important coach for Mack to add quickly is Strength and Conditioning. We desperately need new insights, new techniques.

As earlier stated Jay Bateman at DC along with Kingsbury or Briles on the offensive side would be home runs too.

Bateman:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/14/defensive-schemes-rpos-mike-pettine-packers-naia-grand-view

Jay Bateman stunned the college football world in September when his game plan helped Army take then No. 5 Oklahoma to overtime, despite an overwhelming disadvantage in personnel. But to those in the know, Bateman’s prowess as a defensive coordinator was old news. Last offseason a parade of coaches traveled up the Hudson River to study the Black Knights’ tactics.

Even with an overtime session, Bateman's Black Knights defense held Oklahoma to fewer points (28) and yards (355) than any team since Lincoln Riley took charge of the Sooners.

JAMIE SCHWABEROW/GETTY IMAGES
Bateman’s philosophy, like Johansen’s at Grand View, requires the mastery of only a few simple concepts. Those are then folded into the weekly game plan and adjusted after input from players. Film cut-ups are texted to each cadet’s phone on Monday, with the requirement that he reply to Bateman with two unique observations.

The one constant week-to-week: “Everyone is a blitzer,” says Bateman. “A kid is a defensive end—well, now he’s a linebacker, or a strong safety. How does a quarterback declare him? [Their offense will] start blocking guys that aren’t even rushing, and not block guys who are.” From this, Army employs six different blitzes, but Bateman runs them out of dozens of personnel packages, which he says forces offensive coordinators to spend twice the normal time in preparation.

Bateman says the biggest concern he’s heard from visiting NFL coaches about this kind of multiplicity is that it requires immense brain power from the safeties in charge of lining everyone up and from the corners memorizing the coverages. Bateman’s solution is to have his defense operate as a collection of grouped special forces. They use one-word calls, the first letter of which pertains to a specific position group, alerting players as to who is blitzing. Linebackers, for example, might be assigned an S-word—so if the call is “spider,” linebackers are going after the QB. The other groups know what coverage or technique to play when the linebackers blitz.

Players then have all week in practice to work on just a few moves, or techniques relevant to the upcoming game plan. The nosetackle, for example, might be told: Center kill, gap control, cross left and cross right; and he’ll have all week to focus on those instructions. The result? An amorphous defense with the most realistic chance to match the targeted explosiveness of modern offenses. Defensive backs with their hands in the dirt. Linemen floating in coverage, scattering the quarterback’s progression.

“The days of a defensive player dropping back into a spot, the quarterback throwing it and [the defender] breaking on the ball are over,” says Bateman. “If one of my guys draws up something like that, I tell him, We ain’t doing that.

Reactions: Archer2
As earlier stated Jay Bateman at DC along with Kingsbury or Briles on the offensive side would be home runs too.
Bateman is from the ACXC area and coached at Elon. And here is what I like best about his D, which goes with the unrelenting fundamentalism: they cause TOs the old fashioned way.

Miami had the Turnover Chain, and we saw players wildcatting and wildly trying to grab the ball from the carrier rather than tackle him. That's what boys do in backyard football.

I think that might be a possibility if Brown wants him. He was willing to follow him to TX, so I would assume they have a great relationship. I'm guessing we wouldn't hear anything about that until after the Big 12 championship though.
He's not at Texas now. He was at FSU with Jimbo and then went to the Aggies.

Mack said today that he already has a few names in mind, but hasn't spoken to anyone about positions yet. I'm looking forward to seeing who joins his new staff.

That’s not the only thing he knows how to arrange.
And that, even said in jest, is the reason we do not want him. There are plenty of guys with experience at OC who know how to manage a spread type passing attack with a running game that does not waste RBs. Kliff Kingsbury's OC Kevin Johns is one.

If we are short on talent on the defensive side of the ball next year, we will need to run the ball effectively to keep the defense off of the field. When Army played Oklahoma this year the Army offense was so effective at keeping the ball the Army defense only had to play 40 snaps.

The great thing about Mack's broadcasting career is that it allowed him to see a lot of good young coaches all over the county. There are a lot of really good young coaches hungry to get an opportunity to learn from an experienced head coach.

Mack said today that he already has a few names in mind, but hasn't spoken to anyone about positions yet. I'm looking forward to seeing who joins his new staff.

This has been in the works for weeks. He prob hasnt talked directly to anyone currently under contract but rest assured he has some pieces in place by one means or another. Be it through 3rd parties or whatever. This whole transition has been designed to be as turn key as possible so that the staff can hit the ground running and try to salvage a couple weeks of recruiting. I’d wager it wont be but maybe a week or so at most before we know the majority of the staff make up. I guess there’ll be some though that have to wait til after bowl games.

If we are short on talent on the defensive side of the ball next year, we will need to run the ball effectively to keep the defense off of the field. When Army played Oklahoma this year the Army offense was so effective at keeping the ball the Army defense only had to play 40 snaps.
We have 4 quality RBs returning with game experience. Devon Lawrence will be a redshirt freshman.

Plus, with the right OC, we will be able to use the passing game to control the clock while helping set up the RBs.

Reactions: Archer2
We need to involve the RB’s in the passing game more too. We should use a lot of split backs, and use simple RPO’s. One RB takes/fakes the draw, while the other runs a swing route, with a WR running a slant on the same side. It’s damn near impossible to stop when it’s ran well. If the flat defender stays at home to cover the slant then the RB gets the swing route in tons of space. If he goes with the RB then you bang the slant. If the defense keeps the numbers outside to cover both, then you give the draw.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
This has been in the works for weeks. He prob hasnt talked directly to anyone currently under contract but rest assured he has some pieces in place by one means or another. Be it through 3rd parties or whatever. This whole transition has been designed to be as turn key as possible so that the staff can hit the ground running and try to salvage a couple weeks of recruiting. I’d wager it wont be but maybe a week or so at most before we know the majority of the staff make up. I guess there’ll be some though that have to wait til after bowl games.
I think he's probably waiting for conference championship games to be over. I don't think any restrictions would be in place after that.

We need to involve the RB’s in the passing game more too. We should use a lot of split backs, and use simple RPO’s. One RB takes/fakes the draw, while the other runs a swing route, with a WR running a slant on the same side. It’s damn near impossible to stop when it’s ran well. If the flat defender stays at home to cover the slant then the RB gets the swing route in tons of space. If he goes with the RB then you bang the slant. If the defense keeps the numbers outside to cover both, then you give the draw.
When I think of Carter in the passing game, I envision him being set up one on one, so that if the first guy misses, Carter has a shot to make the end zone.

The 'Fedora offense' failed to take advantage of the many strengths found in many players. It was too rigid: 'That's not what we do' summed it.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Bateman:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/14/defensive-schemes-rpos-mike-pettine-packers-naia-grand-view

Jay Bateman stunned the college football world in September when his game plan helped Army take then No. 5 Oklahoma to overtime, despite an overwhelming disadvantage in personnel. But to those in the know, Bateman’s prowess as a defensive coordinator was old news. Last offseason a parade of coaches traveled up the Hudson River to study the Black Knights’ tactics.

Even with an overtime session, Bateman's Black Knights defense held Oklahoma to fewer points (28) and yards (355) than any team since Lincoln Riley took charge of the Sooners.

JAMIE SCHWABEROW/GETTY IMAGES
Bateman’s philosophy, like Johansen’s at Grand View, requires the mastery of only a few simple concepts. Those are then folded into the weekly game plan and adjusted after input from players. Film cut-ups are texted to each cadet’s phone on Monday, with the requirement that he reply to Bateman with two unique observations.

The one constant week-to-week: “Everyone is a blitzer,” says Bateman. “A kid is a defensive end—well, now he’s a linebacker, or a strong safety. How does a quarterback declare him? [Their offense will] start blocking guys that aren’t even rushing, and not block guys who are.” From this, Army employs six different blitzes, but Bateman runs them out of dozens of personnel packages, which he says forces offensive coordinators to spend twice the normal time in preparation.

Bateman says the biggest concern he’s heard from visiting NFL coaches about this kind of multiplicity is that it requires immense brain power from the safeties in charge of lining everyone up and from the corners memorizing the coverages. Bateman’s solution is to have his defense operate as a collection of grouped special forces. They use one-word calls, the first letter of which pertains to a specific position group, alerting players as to who is blitzing. Linebackers, for example, might be assigned an S-word—so if the call is “spider,” linebackers are going after the QB. The other groups know what coverage or technique to play when the linebackers blitz.

Players then have all week in practice to work on just a few moves, or techniques relevant to the upcoming game plan. The nosetackle, for example, might be told: Center kill, gap control, cross left and cross right; and he’ll have all week to focus on those instructions. The result? An amorphous defense with the most realistic chance to match the targeted explosiveness of modern offenses. Defensive backs with their hands in the dirt. Linemen floating in coverage, scattering the quarterback’s progression.

“The days of a defensive player dropping back into a spot, the quarterback throwing it and [the defender] breaking on the ball are over,” says Bateman. “If one of my guys draws up something like that, I tell him, We ain’t doing that.

Bateman sounds good to me. Bob Shoop and Matt House are also hot names.

Last edited:
It sounds like we may have some competition from USC for Kingsbury. Hopefully having Mack here will help him make the best choice.

North Carolina: Per sources, the following coaches will not be retained by Mack Brown — quarterbacks coach Keith Heckendorf, wide receivers coach/special teams coordinator Luke Paschall, defensive line coach Deke Adams, cornerbacks coach Henry Baker, linebackers coach Mike Ekeler, and strength and conditioning coach Lou Hernandez.

FootballScoop.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT