ADVERTISEMENT

Who was talking about meat loaf?

Nothing beats this anywhere!!

chitlin-loaf_03a_gelatin.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: blazers and bluetoe
My dad owned a convenience store when I was growing up and he sold Souse Meat, Hog Head Cheese, Pickled Pigs Feet, Pickled Eggs, Pickled Hot Sausages. Because of the clientele, these items sold every day. I tried the pigs feet, and the sausage. The others I could not make myself try the others.

• Love
Reactions: bluetoe
My dad owned a convenience store when I was growing up and he sold Souse Meat, Hog Head Cheese, Pickled Pigs Feet, Pickled Eggs, Pickled Hot Sausages. Because of the clientele, these items sold every day. I tried the pigs feet, and the sausage. The others I could not make myself try the others.
Head cheese... sheezus, people can eat some gross shit.

Head cheese... sheezus, people can eat some gross shit.
My grandma would cook rice with lights. Lights meaning chicken lungs.
I guess depression era folks and back to pre 1900's, made due with every part of the livestock.

My grandma would cook rice with lights. Lights meaning chicken lungs.
I guess depression era folks and back to pre 1900's, made due with every part of the livestock.
I'm sure they did. That's where some of the more... unhealthy... food consumption probably comes from- poverty.

It's interesting to me how pork managed to maintain a place at the forefront of delicacy in civilized society. The Bible and the Quran are demonstrably opposed to pig consumption.

I'm sure they did. That's where some of the more... unhealthy... food consumption probably comes from- poverty.

It's interesting to me how pork managed to maintain a place at the forefront of delicacy in civilized society. The Bible and the Quran are demonstrably opposed to pig consumption.
Honestly. The diet that was laid out in the old Bible was very healthy. Pork wasn't the only thing forbidden

Reactions: strummingram
I lived on my grandparents farm in ala til 8 yrs old. They raised pigs and chickens. You don’t realize you’re eating gross shit cause no one told you it was gross and it was just what everybody ate. And we ate all that stuff except chitlins. (Grandpa gave those away) Head cheese, brains, chicken feet, pigs feet. When my mom
Met her second husband and he came over one time he and my grandma got in a big fight cause he didn’t want to eat any beef liver she had traded with someone to get. “I don’t eat filters” I remember him yelling.

I lived on my grandparents farm in ala til 8 yrs old. They raised pigs and chickens. You don’t realize you’re eating gross shit cause no one told you it was gross and it was just what everybody ate. And we ate all that stuff except chitlins. (Grandpa gave those away) Head cheese, brains, chicken feet, pigs feet. When my mom
Met her second husband and he came over one time he and my grandma got in a big fight cause he didn’t want to eat any beef liver she had traded with someone to get. “I don’t eat filters” I remember him yelling.
No gizzards? haha

Reactions: Grayhead
Honestly. The diet that was laid out in the old Bible was very healthy. Pork wasn't the only thing forbidden
I take objection to shellfish. I like shellfish. But, I don't eat pork. I don't really eat red meat, either. I will eat chicken occasionally. I do eat fish.

However, I'm sure if I were somehow in a situation that I was starving... I'd probably eat things I would normally avoid at all costs.

Reactions: Grayhead
I take objection to shellfish. I like shellfish. But, I don't eat pork. I don't really eat red meat, either. I will eat chicken occasionally. I do eat fish.

However, I'm sure if I were somehow in a situation that I was starving... I'd probably eat things I would normally avoid at all costs.
I eat all of the above. And there are ways to eat them all and be healthy. 20oz ribeyes, no so much

lmao @ all you little girls being so squeamish over food. Do you actually not realize that all the things talked about here are only gross in your minds? That as long as it's prepared properly that it's just as good for you as any other food? There is no grossness intrinsic to these items. If something is not realistically gross, in your minds or otherwise, why wouldn't you eat it?

People everywhere who had little or nothing to spare ate what they could find available. Using the parts of an animal that might get discarded otherwise was just practical and not unhealthy. We think it's gross just because we didn't have to eat these things, but if we had been brought up eating them, we wouldn't think twice about it.

And it's because there was no room for wasting food, that some of our most delectable foods have come about. Cured ham, for instance. Cured ham was for poors, fresh ham was for the not-poors. Country ham was something a lot of people thought was gross, but now it's considered a delicacy even by food snobs.

I didn't grow up eating these things but once I got over my childish squeamishness, I tried a lot of things just for the hell of it. Pickled pigs feet and pickled eggs (I've eaten a ton of pickled eggs while sitting at a bar and drinking beer), pickled sausages, liver mush like they enjoy in the western parts of the state, etc. Try some pickled herring, they're really good. Sardines. Spam. We actually ate a fair amount of Spam when I was growing up. I had two uncles who would take me fishing with them and Vienna sausage and potted meat was standard fare when up some river or creek. Tasty as hell when you're hungry.

And even today, I'll fight you for some fried chicken gizzards or livers.

Not the place to preach, but this is exactly why many of us know that we are spoiled and act like it. There is no real line between the way things have been and the way they are now. It wouldn't take much for things to go the other way, but we take our lives for granted and act like having everything is the default condition. It isn't and we shouldn't.

Reactions: chickenhunter
similar situation but it wasn't a convenience store, it was a small country store. I've eaten those things (not the souse meat or head cheese) since then but we didn't have them at the store. What we did have was hoop cheese, kept out on the counter in that non-air conditioned space under a glass dome, and cut to order. I hated taking that dome off because the odor was highly unpleasant to me. But today, I'll pay top dollar for some real hoop cheese because it's hard to find and there's nothing as good.

Pickled pigs feet is not bad (only tried them once) and I love a pickled egg and pickled sausages but I never eat them anymore..

Reactions: chickenhunter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT