ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Worried?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I say we dance with the ones we have. What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously, though. What next? Who are we looking at? Who should we be looking at?

There are a million more important things to worry about than portal recruiting. I figure there will absolutely be years where it doesn’t work out at all and you have a throw away season, at least missed NCAAs. Hopefully that doesn’t happen often and I doubt it will this year. Lots of teams with huge question marks going in make the tourney every year. What we have are some truly spoiled brat fans who are much louder with their negative than they ever are with any positives.

• Love
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Not worried a bit…We got 4 guys that can play the 4 and 5 position…Add a shooter that can play 2 or 3 and let’s go…

…We got 4 guys that can play the 4 and 5 position…

Well I can play the 4 and 5 positions too but our team wouldn’t want to rely on it.

It’s not as bad as some are making it. Lots of info points to us not even pursuing some of the guys we’ve been linked to (Wolf, Ballo). Or at least, it was minimal effort. So I don’t think Hubert is striking out left and right like it might seem to the casual observer.

But I do think the staff has been somewhat arrogant in their approach. Thinking they can be as picky as they’ve been. Or thinking they had one in the bag (Cliff?).

Panic? Nah, I’d have to care more for that. And I also still have to believe that there was an emergency plan in place in the event this happened. If not, you really have to question the staff’s efforts.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncfanatic
Well I can play the 4 and 5 positions too but our team wouldn’t want to rely on it.

It’s not as bad as some are making it. Lots of info points to us not even pursuing some of the guys we’ve been linked to (Wolf, Ballo). Or at least, it was minimal effort. So I don’t think Hubert is striking out left and right like it might seem to the casual observer.

But I do think the staff has been somewhat arrogant in their approach. Thinking they can be as picky as they’ve been. Or thinking they had one in the bag (Cliff?).

Panic? Nah, I’d have to care more for that. And I also still have to believe that there was an emergency plan in place in the event this happened. If not, you really have to question the staff’s efforts.
Slinger, best I can tell Hubert has missed on 2 centers and only 2 so far, Therio does not look great for us right now but he is a non-jump shooting 4. ALL the rest of the guys that have been talked about so much, like Ballo, Wolf, ect were not misses, Hubert vetted them and passed.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and RHFD
If you’re not worried then you probably should be.
IC did their little emergency podcast thing where they were forced to admit UNC now has no margin for error. And they're tossing out names like FSU's pencil thin Baba Miller with his 7 points and 5 rebounds per game. 29% from 3pt range, 55% from the FT line, and thinks he's a guard. This where we are at. This is what our NIL leadership has delivered.

I am not even slightly concerned! I actually believe the evidence I see right in front of me! I see a coach who has recruited all sources extremely well in the past and I expect him to keep on doing it! I have no idea what some peeps see and I have no idea how a UNC fan could feel so negatively about the guy that got us back to the top of the game so quickly!

I didn't have Final Four expectations with Cliff Omoruyi so I guess I'm not really in a panic.
The worst part of NIL can sometimes be helpful, in that even if this year somehow stinks all it takes is one offseason to reload.

The worst part of NIL can sometimes be helpful, in that even if this year somehow stinks all it takes is one offseason to reload.
That isn't to say I don't have concerns about UNC's big picture. But if there happens to be a downfall of UNC basketball, I don't think the reason for it is because Cliff Omoruyi didn't play at UNC.

I'm not worried at all. It's Hubert's job to develop players and figure out how to win with what he has, not mine. So Trust in Hubert. No more excuses for not having his own roster.

Yup. Years ago we'd be busy worrying about the need for magical player development (can Leaky develop a jumper? ). Today i'm swapping that for worry about missing out on a badly needed xfer.

I'm trying to figure out the last time UNC basketball didn't have a decent center. I noticed that both the 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 teams had players like Garrison Brooks, Sterling Manley, and Brandon Huffman, but from what I remember, none of them had significant playing time. The 2018/2019 team finished 29-7 and lost to Auburn in the Sweet 16.

It's surprising to think that there isn't a talented player overseas who wouldn't jump at the chance to play for UNC.

I'm trying to figure out the last time UNC basketball didn't have a decent center. I noticed that both the 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 teams had players like Garrison Brooks, Sterling Manley, and Brandon Huffman, but from what I remember, none of them had significant playing time. The 2018/2019 team finished 29-7 and lost to Auburn in the Sweet 16.

It's surprising to think that there isn't a talented player overseas who wouldn't jump at the chance to play for UNC.
Garrison Brooks easily. My least favorite 4 year player of all time.

The most frustrating year for me watching UNC was when Garrison was a senior getting minutes over Day’ron Sharpe and Walker Kessler.

I thought Sharpe/Bacot was our strongest duo but they barely got on the floor together.

Need a miracle like a player pulling from the draft and suiting up I would keep a scholly open for that

Not worried. I mean seems the years of dominant UNC basketball has long been gone now we just hope things fall into place and we get lucky. Anyone who says differently is confused. When was the last time we have been pretty much able to pick and choose who we want and get them without much effort. Seems Hubert is relying on the past to bring guys to CH. like someone said before without the willingness to join the nil era we are just hoping recruits wanna be here rather than convincing them this is THE place to be. I’m sure some of not all may disagree must so be it. I’m waiting for certain ones to say how delusional CB I am so carry on. Yes we did ok with the portal last year but it is an every year thing not once every now and then.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Not worried. I mean seems the years of dominant UNC basketball has long been gone now we just hope things fall into place and we get lucky. Anyone who says differently is confused. When was the last time we have been pretty much able to pick and choose who we want and get them without much effort. Seems Hubert is relying on the past to bring guys to CH. like someone said before without the willingness to join the nil era we are just hoping recruits wanna be here rather than convincing them this is THE place to be. I’m sure some of not all may disagree must so be it. I’m waiting for certain ones to say how delusional CB I am so carry on. Yes we did ok with the portal last year but it is an every year thing not once every now and then.
2021 - we got Garcia and Manek
2022 - we got Nance
2023 - we got Ingram and Ryan, and Timberlake visited

2024 - no one wants to visit and even consider being our starting PF or C

How are you feeling about the prospect of teams like Wake Forest dominating us in the post?

I'll reserve judgement until they actually do it. Let's revisit after our game(s) with them next season. I know you are the soothsayer and can tell us what is going to happen prior to it actually happening.

• Haha
Id rather start Washington at the 5.

Opens up the paint.
Yes it does, it opens up the paint for opposing teams to score easily and constantly.

Which is the #1 reason Hubert has been trying so hard to get a starting center from the portal.

At some point we’re gonna pull the trigger on guys that are a big reach so just don’t do it 3 times
Why not? We have 3 scholarships. Might as well give ourselves the best chances that one of these guys will be competent.

It's not like they are going to tie up the scholarships beyond one season if they don't work out. Odds are most players we make a big reach on will be back in the portal a year from now.

I am not even slightly concerned! I actually believe the evidence I see right in front of me! I see a coach who has recruited all sources extremely well in the past and I expect him to keep on doing it! I have no idea what some peeps see and I have no idea how a UNC fan could feel so negatively about the guy that got us back to the top of the game so quickly!
I see catching lighting in the bottle two seasons ago for a 5 1/2 game run. I see a disasterous 2023 campaign with an embarrasing ending. I see a medicore season this year only salvaged by a regular season "championship" in a mediocre ACC and a loss in the Sweet 16 to a football school. This is "back to the top of the game so quickly?"

I see wishful thinking hoping some of the returnees for next year actually contribute meaningful minutes in the paint. Washington couldnt guard the JVs and High has shown little besides being a cheerleader on the bench and woofing at the Dookie student section in Cameron.

I see some posters here who are realists and understand in an NIL climate, the days of Carolina basketball as we knew it are long gone. "Come join the FAMILY" and "The Carolina Way" is just lip service to kids today who dont plan on staying three years much less four if playing time and the almighty dollar doesnt work for them. Those days of wanting to play for the name on the front are gone and not returning. Time for some posters to wake up and realize its not all sunshine and rainbows when it comes to the "Family and "Hubs."

Put me in the negative camp if you want, but the proof is in results, both on the court and off.

Read more than this board please! It has been reported that our NIL package is at least competitive with all others! Hubs has done as much as any other coach in the portal and will continue to do so! Hubs is keeping the Carolina Way alive AND mining all recruiting sources. We missed on exactly 2 centers who chose others, so what?! Demise of UNC basketball??? So coaching and recruiting the team that won the ACC and garnered a #1 seed is a sign that we are in decline??? And I thought Bizarro was hard to understand! I prefer to choose who we think will fit best and not just outbid others for someone just because they are skilled! Character, coachability, and team chemistry mean something here! Once we play next season and get a second #1 seed in a row, will that be enough????

Great Job Hubs and thanks for bringing our brand back! Family knows what you have done!

I’m totally on board with Jalen Washington as our starting center. Many posters have denigrated his abilities.
I prefer to expect that he is working hard every single day to get better, just like other athletes do in
every college sport.
For the posters who prefer ripping him and our staff, enjoy your privilege. And remember, there are 361 other
teams in college hoops that other fans pull for. IYKWIM.
Personally, l treasure my allegiance to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for a myriad of reasons.
In reflection, it’s always a GDTBATH.

I didn't have Final Four expectations with Cliff Omoruyi so I guess I'm not really in a panic.
I don't know about a Final Four, but Armando was better than Omoruyi on pretty much every measure. According to some, maybe Omoruyi's a bit stronger; maybe a bit better rim protector. But it's not like Armando was chopped liver.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted us to land Omoruyi, but I didn't think swapping Armando for him would necessarily make us better. He would, however, have filled (or nearly filled) a very big hole. Meaning we'd have a chance to be better, depending on how the rest of the team shaped up.

I’m totally on board with Jalen Washington as our starting center. Many posters have denigrated his abilities.
I think it's more that we don't have confidence that JWash can handle the pounding - game in, game out, game after game. He could be that guy, but we haven't seen it yet.

If we knew he could handle it, we might still have some worries - is he tough enough to defend well, is he quick enough, can his excellent offense hold up over long minutes.... But knowing he can handle the minutes would make most of us feel a lot better.

That said, even if we had that confidence, I still think adding a strong post player - strong enough to play starter minutes when the situation requires - should be a priority. We just wouldn't need an NBA-caliber player.

Since it's starting to look like we aren't getting a top center, we'd better hope JWash has the stamina and grit we need.

Read more than this board please! It has been reported that our NIL package is at least competitive with all others!
You can keep repeating the InsideCarolina line that we have a "competitive NIL" but it doesn't make it true.

What is true is Ballo, Wolf, Aidoo, Bradshaw, and Thiero never even visited Chapel Hill. And the reason is our "competitive NIL" wouldn't pay them.

If we stop recruiting now (which won't happen, but let's see what we've got).

The PPG and MPG columns are from last season; the rest of the columns are PT guesses for the coming season if we don't add anyone else to the roster.

PlayerPPGMPGPGSGSFPFCTOTALS
Cadeau7.323.828--------28
RJ21.234.8--30------30
Seth5.217.11252----19
Ian--54----9
Cade16.231.6----253--28
Drake----9----9
JWit4.212.4------24630
JWash3.98.3------51924
Zayden0.84.5------6915
James------268
TOTALS58.8132.54040404040200

It has been reported that our NIL package is at least competitive with all others!
Are there any authoritative sources who are reporting actual comparative numbers? I've seen the claims that we are competitive, but they all come across as hearsay. Might be true, but who knows?

I'd love to see real data on this.

You can keep repeating the InsideCarolina line that we have a "competitive NIL" but it doesn't make it true.

What is true is Ballo, Wolf, Aidoo, Bradshaw, and Thiero never even visited Chapel Hill. And the reason is our "competitive NIL" wouldn't pay them.
Did the staff seriously pursue Ballo or Bradshaw?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT