ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Worried?

Did the staff seriously pursue Ballo or Bradshaw?
From what I can tell our NIL ended the recruitment of basically everyone except Omoruyi. Only he was willing to keep the recruitment going and visit UNC despite our NIL falling behind others. He was basically the unicorn amongst all the top front court options. Everyone else went to the highest bidder.

Read more than this board please! It has been reported that our NIL package is at least competitive with all others! Hubs has done as much as any other coach in the portal and will continue to do so! Hubs is keeping the Carolina Way alive AND mining all recruiting sources. We missed on exactly 2 centers who chose others, so what?! Demise of UNC basketball??? So coaching and recruiting the team that won the ACC and garnered a #1 seed is a sign that we are in decline??? And I thought Bizarro was hard to understand! I prefer to choose who we think will fit best and not just outbid others for someone just because they are skilled! Character, coachability, and team chemistry mean something here! Once we play next season and get a second #1 seed in a row, will that be enough????

Great Job Hubs and thanks for bringing our brand back! Family knows what you have done!
I think there's a valid reason for some concern. The NIL has largely neutralized the advantages that the traditional blue blood had in the recruiting sphere. There's now an entirely different way to construct your roster and if you're not aggressive and efficient in the transfer portal, you will get left behind.

The early results for Hubert can lead to a variety of opinions. He had one relatively unimpressive regular season that was capped with a miracle Final Four run. He had one disastrous year. One year where we probably had a season we typically expect out of UNC basketball. So, I don't think it's ridiculous for people to be bearish on Hubert since he has proven a disastrous season is in play. I don't think it's ridiculous for people to be bullish on Hubert because he had one season where UNC looked like UNC.

I will say this though... I typically veer away from extremes. In your case, I think you're extremely optimistic. In @DaveChapelle's case, I think it's on the extreme pessimistic side. I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. Hubert having a good year last year doesn't surprise me. The true test will be can he sustain a certain level of quality on a consistent basis in an ever-changing college basketball landscape? So far, the returns on that aren't a definitive yes. It's probably more toward an unknown at this point.

And a final point... I really don't think "Carolina Way" or "Carolina Basketball" or whatever brand you attach with UNC basketball is as relevant today as it used to be. I don't think that's something that UNC can lean on as a big advantage. For some players, that may matter. To the vast majority, I don't think it's as relevant.

It's a different generation. We're only about 5 years away from the incoming freshman class playing their entire youth basketball careers during the college transfer portal so this will be the college basketball they know. Their parents are of a generation that is more willing to switch careers and jobs every 1, 2, or 3 years to increase their salaries/titles.

We're clearly in an "adapt or die" kind of phase in college basketball. We'll see if UNC's tradition stands the test of this particular time. I think it will require a lot of adaptation.

/End essay

"I really don't think "Carolina Way" or "Carolina Basketball" or whatever brand you attach with UNC basketball is as relevant today as it used to be. I don't think that's something that UNC can lean on as a big advantage. "

This paragraph is exactly what I mean when I say peeps simply don't understand why UNC is different! It is not now nor has it ever been about "relevance" or "advantage"! It is about standing on a tradition that says we do things the right way. It is about character, family values, respect, and morality. It is not some way to claim some advantage over others; but it is a way to separate yourself from the unwashed masses! I never said, "Use the Carolina Way to convince a recruit to join the Family! That is the exact opposite of what we believe: I say, "Do NOT invite peeps who can't understand or live in the Carolina Way to our Family!

I go the other route apparently. I assume MY U is doing the best it can so why would I even question our efforts??? Just because peeps chose another school (every school in history has recruits choose other schools) doesn't mean we did a bad job or were not competitive, it might mean we walked away OR it might mean the kid simply liked them better...so what??? UNC has a fine team now and will add one more before next season so I know we are now back on top for good! Feel free to see all glasses half empty if you will, but life as a Tar Heel is certainly sweet! The roses sure smell sweet to me at least!

Last edited:
"I really don't think "Carolina Way" or "Carolina Basketball" or whatever brand you attach with UNC basketball is as relevant today as it used to be. I don't think that's something that UNC can lean on as a big advantage. "

This paragraph is exactly what I mean when I say peeps simply don't understand why UNC is different! It is not now nor has it ever been about "relevance" or "advantage"! It is about standing on a tradition that says we do things the right way. It is about character, family values, respect, and morality. It is not some way to claim some advantage over others; but it is a way to separate yourself from the unwashed masses! I never said, "Use the Carolina Way to convince a recruit to join the Family! That is the exact opposite of what we believe: I say, "Do NOT invite peeps who can't understand or live in the Carolina Way to our Family!

I go the other route apparently. I assume MY U is doing the best it can so why would I even question our efforts??? Just because peeps chose another school (every school in history has recruits choose other schools) doesn't mean we did a bad job or were not competitive, it might mean we walked away OR it might mean the kid simply liked them better...so what??? UNC has a fine team now and will add one more before next season so I know we are now back on top for good! Feel free to see all glasses half empty if you will, but life as a Tar Heel is certainly sweet! The roses sure smell sweet to me at least!

All that's fair. And personally, I agree with most of the sentiment. Winning is important, but I prefer winning my way. A lot of the folks here are younger and only prefer winning. And that's ok too. But just as a heads up @TPFKAPFS , the longer you're here, the more the board feeling will skew away from your personal feelings. Message boarding is a young man's game. You've had to have recognized this already.

And then of course, the change in the college basketball landscape has really confused a lot of us. It's a foreign thought to some of us that these kids today don't have the depth to acknowledge and appreciate the history/mystique/aura of the program that we root for and to understand the lifelong benefits of being a part of it. Cash rules everything around them. Or if it isn't the lure of cash, it's a shortsighted view of immediate gratification and what can the program do for me TOMORROW. Players of yesteryear were more willing to see farther than the end of their nose.

Last edited:
I think there's a valid reason for some concern. The NIL has largely neutralized the advantages that the traditional blue blood had in the recruiting sphere. There's now an entirely different way to construct your roster and if you're not aggressive and efficient in the transfer portal, you will get left behind.

The early results for Hubert can lead to a variety of opinions. He had one relatively unimpressive regular season that was capped with a miracle Final Four run. He had one disastrous year. One year where we probably had a season we typically expect out of UNC basketball. So, I don't think it's ridiculous for people to be bearish on Hubert since he has proven a disastrous season is in play. I don't think it's ridiculous for people to be bullish on Hubert because he had one season where UNC looked like UNC.

I will say this though... I typically veer away from extremes. In your case, I think you're extremely optimistic. In @DaveChapelle's case, I think it's on the extreme pessimistic side. I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. Hubert having a good year last year doesn't surprise me. The true test will be can he sustain a certain level of quality on a consistent basis in an ever-changing college basketball landscape? So far, the returns on that aren't a definitive yes. It's probably more toward an unknown at this point.

And a final point... I really don't think "Carolina Way" or "Carolina Basketball" or whatever brand you attach with UNC basketball is as relevant today as it used to be. I don't think that's something that UNC can lean on as a big advantage. For some players, that may matter. To the vast majority, I don't think it's as relevant.

It's a different generation. We're only about 5 years away from the incoming freshman class playing their entire youth basketball careers during the college transfer portal so this will be the college basketball they know. Their parents are of a generation that is more willing to switch careers and jobs every 1, 2, or 3 years to increase their salaries/titles.

We're clearly in an "adapt or die" kind of phase in college basketball. We'll see if UNC's tradition stands the test of this particular time. I think it will require a lot of adaptation.

/End essay
Ding Ding Ding.....pay the man.

All that's fair. And personally, I agree with most of the sentiment. Winning is important, but I prefer winning my way. A lot of the folks here are younger and only prefer winning. And that's ok too. But just as a heads up @TPFKAPFS , the longer you're here, the more the board feeling will skew away from your personal feelings. Message boarding is a young man's game. You've had to have recognize this already.

And then of course, the change in the college basketball landscape has really confused a lot of us. It's a foreign thought to some of us that these kids today don't have the depth to acknowledge and appreciate the history/mystique/aura of the program that we root for and to understand the lifelong benefits of being a part of it. Cash rules everything around them. Or if it isn't the lure of cash, it's a shortsighted view of immediate gratification and what can the program do for me TOMORROW. Players of yesteryear were more willing to see farther then the end of their nose.
Another logical response.

The days of being able to rely on being the school Michael Jordan attended and a pair of Air Jordan's are over. The Bell Tower, 1000 banners hanging and a Charles Kuralt intro, aint gonna cut it anymore. Just like an eight team ACC, wheeling a TV in on Friday at high noon to watch the opening game of the ACC tournament and staying at least three seasons once you commit are days gone by,

This program in its current state is not "back on top for good". Only program that might stake that claim is in Stoors, Connecticut. Hubert Davis has been a marginal coach based on his three seasons. It is fair to question his game management, substitution patterns and other things on the court. To choose not to question or not find fault just because he is a member of the "family" is turning a blind eye and giving him a pass. I have real family members I call out on a daily basis so why not the coach of the college basketball team I have followed for 45 years?

Wins and losses matter. Recruiting (in whatever the environment is) matters. Coaching and development of players matter. Jalen Washington is not ready to play a 5. Everyone knows that. Outside of RJ Davis, what do we really have this coming season that we can say "Yes, we know what we will get from him"? Cadeau couldnt shoot a lick last year and come crunch time was riding the pine. Withers is no where near consistent. Washington couldnt guard me. High got no minutes. Kid from Belmont is from Belmont. Three frosh coming in have the pedigree but then so did every other freshman Hubs has brought in only to underperform or leave.

I get it is some folks' nature to be optimistic, but please...just be realistic.

Reactions: heels05champs
Another logical response.

The days of being able to rely on being the school Michael Jordan attended and a pair of Air Jordan's are over. The Bell Tower, 1000 banners hanging and a Charles Kuralt intro, aint gonna cut it anymore. Just like an eight team ACC, wheeling a TV in on Friday at high noon to watch the opening game of the ACC tournament and staying at least three seasons once you commit are days gone by,

This program in its current state is not "back on top for good". Only program that might stake that claim is in Stoors, Connecticut. Hubert Davis has been a marginal coach based on his three seasons. It is fair to question his game management, substitution patterns and other things on the court. To choose not to question or not find fault just because he is a member of the "family" is turning a blind eye and giving him a pass. I have real family members I call out on a daily basis so why not the coach of the college basketball team I have followed for 45 years?

Wins and losses matter. Recruiting (in whatever the environment is) matters. Coaching and development of players matter. Jalen Washington is not ready to play a 5. Everyone knows that. Outside of RJ Davis, what do we really have this coming season that we can say "Yes, we know what we will get from him"? Cadeau couldnt shoot a lick last year and come crunch time was riding the pine. Withers is no where near consistent. Washington couldnt guard me. High got no minutes. Kid from Belmont is from Belmont. Three frosh coming in have the pedigree but then so did every other freshman Hubs has brought in only to underperform or leave.

I get it is some folks' nature to be optimistic, but please...just be realistic.
That’s what happens when you let the retiring head coach name his replacement and have no search at all…No interviews nothing…

All that's fair. And personally, I agree with most of the sentiment. Winning is important, but I prefer winning my way. A lot of the folks here are younger and only prefer winning. And that's ok too. But just as a heads up @TPFKAPFS , the longer you're here, the more the board feeling will skew away from your personal feelings. Message boarding is a young man's game. You've had to have recognize this already.

And then of course, the change in the college basketball landscape has really confused a lot of us. It's a foreign thought to some of us that these kids today don't have the depth to acknowledge and appreciate the history/mystique/aura of the program that we root for and to understand the lifelong benefits of being a part of it. Cash rules everything around them. Or if it isn't the lure of cash, it's a shortsighted view of immediate gratification and what can the program do for me TOMORROW. Players of yesteryear were more willing to see farther then the end of their nose.
It's not that I prefer only winning. But in business, we've seen traditional powers get caught behind and never recover and it doesn't take much time to become irrelevant. I think there should always be an openness to being adaptable and questioning everything you do. That's where I'd disagree with "I prefer winning my way." As long as that includes consistently questioning what you do, I think that's the formula that can leave you stuck behind in a rapidly changing college basketball marketplace.

Reactions: Sportscribe
I’m totally on board with Jalen Washington as our starting center. Many posters have denigrated his abilities.
I prefer to expect that he is working hard every single day to get better, just like other athletes do in
every college sport.
For the posters who prefer ripping him and our staff, enjoy your privilege. And remember, there are 361 other
teams in college hoops that other fans pull for. IYKWIM.
Personally, l treasure my allegiance to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for a myriad of reasons.
In reflection, it’s always a GDTBATH.
Saying he isnt an ACC caliber center isnt “ripping” him. I dont understand why people being objective on here is viewed as ripping players or being negative

No one is pissing on his character, they are simply stating for us to be a legit title contender we need a better center than him, and clearly our coach agrees considering he was trying to find one

Yes it does, it opens up the paint for opposing teams to score easily and constantly.

Which is the #1 reason Hubert has been trying so hard to get a starting center from the portal.

That starts with the on ball defender.

if you are relying on a big your defense sucks.

3rd year from injury. Let see.

Last edited:
That starts with the on ball defender.

if you at relying on a big your defense suckd.
Washington's defense stinks. That's the whole point. You said you want him to start. The staff is trying to avoid that because of how bad he is defensively.

Honestly, as we sit now, we are still a top 10 pre season team. If we land a couple forwards or a center, we will be top 5. We need bodies!

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Honestly, as we sit now, we are still a top 10 pre season team. If we land a couple forwards or a center, we will be top 5. We need bodies!
The hole at center is glaring. Do you remember that 2012/2013 team that had so much perimeter fire power but the only true centers were Desmond Hubert and a freshman Joel James? That roster was arguably more talented and it ended up an 8 seed. I mean it had a bunch of McDonalds All Americans, 3 guys who ended up 1st round NBA picks, 2 more guys that had short stays in the NBA, a couple more very experienced guards... but that damn center spot was so bad for us that year.

We have to find some more NIL money and get us a good center. It's too big of a hole to overcome if we're asking Washington, High, and Brown to defend the 5 spot.

The hole at center is glaring. Do you remember that 2012/2013 team that had so much perimeter fire power but the only true centers were Desmond Hubert and a freshman Joel James? That roster was arguably more talented and it ended up an 8 seed. I mean it had a bunch of McDonalds All Americans, 3 guys who ended up 1st round NBA picks, 2 more guys that had short stays in the NBA, a couple more very experienced guards... but that damn center spot was so bad for us that year.

We have to find some more NIL money and get us a good center. It's too big of a hole to overcome if we're asking Washington, High, and Brown to defend the 5 spot.
You are down right goofy if you think wash is not better all around than those two guys you just mentioned. And he’s played on bum legs. SMH. Now you are just hating on peeps give it up.
Edit to say
You’ve made some pretty good points at times to make such a glaring horrible comparison. And let’s say you weren’t comparing them at all. Ok why not give him credit for at least being better than those two. lol

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
You are down right goofy if you think wash is not better all around than those two guys you just mentioned. And he’s played on bum legs. SMH. Now you are just hating on peeps give it up.
Edit to say
You’ve made some pretty good points at times to make such a glaring horrible comparison. And let’s say you weren’t comparing them at all. Ok why not give him credit for at least being better than those two. lol
Washington can't play defense. The latest Coast to Coast podcast stated the UNC staff was pursuing a transfer center who could play 30+ minutes per game. Which tells you everything about how the staff views Washington for next season.

I'm not trying to insult Washington or say he is like any other player. I was giving an example of a UNC team that had amazing talent but a hole at center, and how that team performed as a result. Right now UNC has a very similar team, great perimeter talent and a hole at center. The staff wouldn't have been looking for a 30+ min per game center if they didn't feel like there was a major hole at center.

Can’t we find one guy in this entire world that is 7’2” ( or more) and can just stand underneath our basket arms straight up? Doesn’t need to shoot or even move - he can stay on one half the court. Like the chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s nest. Must be someone, somewhere. I’m pledging 1 million (monopoly $) in NIL for someone to come aboard.

• Haha
Can’t we find one guy in this entire world that is 7’2” ( or more) and can just stand underneath our basket arms straight up? Doesn’t need to shoot or even move - he can stay on one half the court. Like the chief in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s nest. Must be someone, somewhere. I’m pledging 1 million (monopoly $) in NIL for someone to come aboard.
because its not 1985. You cant find an untalented tall guy and plop him in the post

Hey Slinger: I've been on TOS and this board for decades! (This is my third username since one was banned and I'm still banned at TOS for some reason, lol) I have seen the changes and I don't really like where it is going! BUT I still believe there is room in this world (BBall world too) for old fashioned concepts like loyalty, respect, accountability, honesty, and character! I believe that peeps can win without compromising their ethics or traditions. I believe there are peeps out there who still love the game and have been taught that you have to earn what you get!

AND I know for a fact that there is a distinct difference between adjusting to the times AND giving up on your ideals! As long as UNC can still tell the difference, I will be a fan!

Brad Daugherty was UNC’s center in 1985
Did I say our center was untalented in 85?

I just meant as general basketball strategy.

If there was a Brad Daugherty in the portal id advocate backing a brinks truck up.

Alabama has lost 6 to the portal and gained 4. The 4 they got are rated higher than all but 1 of the guys they lost.

They also have one of the top incoming classes in the nation.

What would make me happy if I were a Bama fan is the balance among the new guys.

2 PGs
2 SGs
2 SFs
1 PF
1 C

If Nelson returns for his COVID year, and/or they also get that big UK guy (Onyenso) they could be a serious contender. Might be anyway.

We should probably grab Onyenso before they do. Any chance of that?

Did I say our center was untalented in 85?

I just meant as general basketball strategy.

If there was a Brad Daugherty in the portal id advocate backing a brinks truck up.
That “general basketball strategy” wouldn’t have worked in 1985 either

Alabama has lost 6 to the portal and gained 4. The 4 they got are rated higher than all but 1 of the guys they lost.

What would make me happy if I were a Bama fan is the balance among the new guys.

2 PGs
2 SGs
2 SFs
1 PF
1 C

If Nelson returns for his COVID year, and/or they also get that big UK guy (Onyenso) they could be a serious contender. Might be anyway.

Nelson is returning to Alabama.

Onyenso is currently in the draft.

That “general basketball strategy” wouldn’t have worked in 1985 either
Tell that to the NBA in the 90s then.

Why try to rewrite what already happened? Plenty of no talent bigs were all over the place.

2 PGs
2 SGs
2 SFs
1 PF
1 C

Nelson has already returned.

Theyve surrounded cliff with 4 40 percent 3 point shooters and thats not including mark sears or jarin.

Bama is going to be tough

2 PGs
2 SGs
2 SFs
1 PF
1 C

Sounds like Oats doesn't know how to develop talent. Those players that left were at one time highly rated. :/

See, this is a prime example of how everyone is too quick to make some kind of judgement on players and programs. Those guys that were highly rated that just transferred in may not fit that system all that well and may bust. Then people will look back and say, "Bama should have kept so-and-so instead of running them off and getting a worse player!"

Time and results tell the story. Oats can crow as they made a Final Four last year. Good for them. In today's basketball climate, they could just as easily end up back there or miss the tournament. We'll see.

2 PGs
2 SGs
2 SFs
1 PF
1 C

Bama also added the two highest rated Grad Assistants from the portal too, so they'll be able to yell out the plays even louder now.

Just a few NBA Centers who played in the 1990’s

Hakeem Olajuwan
Patrick Ewing
Shaq
David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Alonzo Mourning
Now go on BBref and look at the guys who werent perennial all stars?

I cant believe this dumb shit is real life.

Honestly, as we sit now, we are still a top 10 pre season team.
That makes sense if the rankers are assuming Hubert will fill the Armando and Ingram voids with good replacements.

Even then that might be a cheeky rank until we have answers to some question that probably won't be answered until the end of November. Like whether JWash annd JWit are improved enough, whether our superfrosh are ready, whether Seth has confidence in his shooting, whether Elliot is living up to expectations, and whether either of our lower-ranked bigs can give us very much.

BTW, I don't know if @DSouthr came up with JWash and JWit, but he's the first I noticed. They are useful when typing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT