ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Worried?

We just need to get 2 more guys.. Preferably a PF and a C but if all else fails give me two PF's.. Washington/High/Brown can play the center position, and the other 2 PF's and Withers can play the 4.

Ideally I would like Onyenso and a 4 man, whether it be Lubin, Hawkins, Toppin, or Watkins.

Some polls have us as high as 3rd with the current roster, whereas others have us around 8th. With 2 more portal guys we are easily top 5 in any poll out there.

JWash and JWit are what Hubs and the team call them. I think we will swiftly vault to the top of the ACC and NCAA polls next season!

True .. may also come down to playing time too .. probably not but just hopeful
Cal has already convinced multiple players at other positions to split playing time. Heck he was able to do that repeatedly at UK before he had 3 Arkansas billionaires backing him.

We haven't been able to outbid anyone this offseason. Outbidding Arkansas is a pipe dream.

We just need to get 2 more guys.. Preferably a PF and a C but if all else fails give me two PF's.. Washington/High/Brown can play the center position, and the other 2 PF's and Withers can play the 4.

Ideally I would like Onyenso and a 4 man, whether it be Lubin, Hawkins, Toppin, or Watkins.

Some polls have us as high as 3rd with the current roster, whereas others have us around 8th. With 2 more portal guys we are easily top 5 in any poll out there.
My best guess is the only big we successfully afford is Lubin. And we play a lot of small ball next season with a starting lineup of

Cadeau, Davis, Jackson, Tyson, Lubin

Given the current roster my order of need from the 4/5 is:
1. Defensive rebounding (RJ Davis and Withers are leading returning rebounders at just 3.6 rpg)
2. Enough beef to keep opposing centers from getting comfy on the blocks
3. Interior finishing
4. Speed/endurance
5. back 2 basket paint offensive skills
6. shot blocking
7. non-paint offensive skills
Oh, i guess offensive rebounding should be in here somewhere...

How much consistent, quality play in the above areas can we get from Washington/High/Withers?

I feel like you could get a bunch of ^ from guys on the shorter side (4)'s as long as they're fine playing a bunch in the paint, but it might need two xfers starters.

ETA (can Tyson do much of the above? i'm guessing not much on the 1, 2, 3 & 6 part). Him at the 4 seems like a rebounding nightmare. If you move him to the 4 then i think it is imperative to get a "3" with serious D and rebounding ability.

Last edited:
Now go on BBref and look at the guys who werent perennial all stars?

I cant believe this dumb shit is real life.

Yes, Greg Ostertag was not super elite. That's not news to anyone. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If you're arguing the bums of today are better than the bums of yesteryear, I might agree. But I'd also argue the elites of yesteryear are exponentially better than the elites of today.

Hawkins and call it a squad!

Could take a flyer on Oneyenso, Mtumbo, or someone like them too.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Hawkins and call it a squad!

Could take a flyer on Oneyenso, Mtumbo, or someone like them too.
First, I like the Lubin kid 6'8" 230lbs, played the center spot for Stacks last season at Vandy. Good motor, plays hard, IMO an upgrade version of Therio. Missing on his top 2 center targets, Hubert has to go to a plan B, what may that plan B be? Maybe it becomes, go get a guy that may be more of a 4 but has the weight to handle the 5, a guy that has played the 5 even being under sized shines a light on Lubin. That would give us 2 guys in that mold, Lubin and JWit (who did play some 5 for Louisville).

From there Hubert has 2 options, 1 is get the best available center now that may not be considered a starter right now but has size you can work with. I think a guy like Oyenso fits that but there are a few others that may as well, means more a time share at the 5 between Jalen and who ever we would get. I know many reference Osobo but I don't see us having any real contact with him.

The second option with Lubin in hand could be wait and see who falls out of the NBA draft. Is there a better option center in the draft that is not on draft boards, he will not be cheap but we would pay for the right guy. OR maybe we take a guy like Hawkins who may be the most talented guy likely to fall out of the draft, we are in his top 4 now.

Both options I think work much better with Lubin in hand, I am a bit more inclined for option 1 because I love big guys. But I don't see much indicating we have any serious contact going on now with Oyenso, it looks for right now that it may be more option 2 and if that means we bring in Lubin and Hawkins and calls it a day, I am good with that.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Mutumbo committed to Georgia Tech.
How many of the current coaches in the ACC have NBA experience? Hubert, obviously. The new guys at Syracuse and Ga Tech, I think. Who else? I don't really follow the NBA.

Does that NBA pedigree help recruiting from the portal? Hubert certainly did well last year (and I expect this year will be OK, despite whiffing on some top targets).

How many of the current coaches in the ACC have NBA experience? Hubert, obviously. The new guys at Syracuse and Ga Tech, I think. Who else? I don't really follow the NBA.

Does that NBA pedigree help recruiting from the portal? Hubert certainly did well last year (and I expect this year will be OK, despite whiffing on some top targets).
Hubert
Stoudemire
Madsen
Hamilton (Wizards head coach)
Bennett

Autry and Scheyer player NBA summer league

I'm not going to look up all the assistants since the ACC now has 18 teams. But Sean May played for the Bobcats, Marcus Paige played a couple games for the Hornets, and Pat Sullivan was on the coaching staff of several NBA teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT