ADVERTISEMENT

Why Are UNC Games So "Interesting"?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
We seem to have a knack of being competitive in almost every game. If we are supposed to lose, we make it competitive. If we are supposed to have a cake walk, we make it competitive?

On the one hand, it makes every game interesting. But that isn't necessarily good for us old farts.

The question, though, is WHY is this happening?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Usually teams that are middle of the pack in their conference are the most interesting. The bottom-feeders get smoked every game and the really great teams have lots of boring blowouts. We're unfortunately good but not great this year (and so is much of the ACC), creating a lot of interesting matchups.

Bartorvik has all of the rest of our games decided by 6.5 points or less, so things will likely continue being that way (link: https://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=North+Carolina&year=2023).

The biggest issue is being Carolina, every team will bring, and put forth their best effort. Beating Carolina is on par with winning an NCAA tournament game to some schools. Plenty of examples to verify this since the season began. One prime is Indiana, another is VT., who have become irrelevant lately. Excluding VT., beating Duke for a whooping two wins in the ACC so far.

I think what y'all said about teams and players stepping up when they see our beautiful blue! Think about how many local boys are butt hurt because UNC didn't recruit them and they can't wait to play us! Teams like Moo who have fallen so far that we are their only chance at feeling some success! + I agree that this team seems like the Island of Misfit Toys sometimes, but when it clicks, we are world beaters!

We seem to have a knack of being competitive in almost every game. If we are supposed to lose, we make it competitive. If we are supposed to have a cake walk, we make it competitive?

On the one hand, it makes every game interesting. But that isn't necessarily good for us old farts.

this tarheel team has the ability to win it all as was a preseason prediction, but unlike last year with brady manek they just don't have that other shooter they can depend on. I don't want to get on Caleb love he does so many good things but if you watch the heels play he can be so eratic shooting , he takes so many shots often going like 2 for 13 mostly from three point range. He and others just don't look where they are passing the ball often causing critical turnovers,my point is this, if love who seems to have been in a shooting slump forever can just make two to three more shots this team will win most of there games he is working hard to shoot better they need Caleb out there he is important to this team and I don t believe they can go far without him, I still believe in Caleb and this team but Davis and Bacot cannot carry the offensive load every game they need help but they are good enough to just hang in there when they are not playing good if they go on that hot streak look out!

Reactions: RaulJones
Because this UNC team has the talent on paper to be the best in the country, but on the court they just do not have that "it" factor. They cannot bring and sustain the A game each time out. No idea if that is mental focus, game preparation, locker room issues or what.
This. I would reiterate the post above that said we badly miss Brady’s consistent outside shot which opened up the court.

Even though we did not win the natty last year, most people believe our win over Duke in the final four was a championship. Caleb Love was crowned a basketball god, and as coach Davis said all season, we had the best shooting big man in the country in Manek.

I'm a big fan of Love, but he is not a basketball god, Brady is gone, and although we miss his shooting, we miss him being close to 7 feet more.

Why are games so close? Because our bench is inconsistent, shout out to Dunn who definitely made a leap. Amando started season slow for his standards, and Caleb is well Caleb, crazy shots, but is the guy I still want with ball in his hands at end of games. Puff is to blame too, he should be better. Personal disappointment is Styles, I really thought he and Puff were better than Nance, speaking of Nance, he is coming along, but Brady was better.

This team honestly is rounding into the same team as last year, I see a big tournament run. I feel this team is only playing to get to tournament, it's a dangerous game we are playing. We know we can beat anyone, but this team also can lose to anyone also

Even though we did not win the natty last year, most people believe our win over Duke in the final four was a championship. Caleb Love was crowned a basketball god, and as coach Davis said all season, we had the best shooting big man in the country in Manek.

I'm a big fan of Love, but he is not a basketball god, Brady is gone, and although we miss his shooting, we miss him being close to 7 feet more.

Why are games so close? Because our bench is inconsistent, shout out to Dunn who definitely made a leap. Amando started season slow for his standards, and Caleb is well Caleb, crazy shots, but is the guy I still want with ball in his hands at end of games. Puff is to blame too, he should be better. Personal disappointment is Styles, I really thought he and Puff were better than Nance, speaking of Nance, he is coming along, but Brady was better.

This team honestly is rounding into the same team as last year, I see a big tournament run. I feel this team is only playing to get to tournament, it's a dangerous game we are playing. We know we can beat anyone, but this team also can lose to anyone also
Fingers crossed 🤞

Same reason they were close "interesting" last year. We needed a furious comeback against Syracuse at home late, lost to Pitt at home late, etc. With all the, well last year talk, the games were just as "interesting ". People remember how you do in the tournament.

I know it's not our style, but I've been saying all season that this team should play more pressure defense early in games and stop walking it up all the time. It gets everybody involved and energizes the team. I understand the risks with pressure, but we have the depth to do this, IMO. It would help the bench to develop as well.

Reactions: DSouthr

You could say that about every team except Purdue because of their center. This is a different time in college sports. old lens not applicable in many instances

Because they have a team that passes the eye test plus their history. but it's really a team full of unorthodox players. Just can't stop watching for something to happen like what just happened.

Parity is real! Talent is spread across the game and everyone has athletes! I haven't seen one team that has separated itself from the pack yet, and I like how our team is trending! Purdue, Houston, and a few others are dang good but they can lose as well as the rest of us! Top 10 teams have 4-5 losses now and that is not the norm!

Reactions: Heels5150
If you're legitimately one of the five best teams in the country, part of that is being able to blowout inferior opponents and inferior opponents on the road. If you're a middle-of-the-pack good team, you're probably blowing out fewer teams and playing closer games.

With that definition, we have no 5 best teams then! Everyone has head scratching losses or close wins. Like I said, parity is real. The 5 best teams this year are operating in a brave new world where they must bring close to their A game no matter who they play! UNC is trending upward at exactly the right time!

Reactions: 2-6 Cumberland
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT