ADVERTISEMENT

Why Art Chansky Won't Attack UNC Football Now

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Now that Spring is behind us, and Fall Camp is a long way off, we can talk about some really important matters.

Ole Art, the epitome of Mr. Basketball First/Basketball Only (if I could get away with it), has a long history of writing things that hurt UNC football. His heart always manages to bleed for weak UNC football coaches, as well as the AD who hired and kept them, and he hated Butch Davis at least by the time he feared Butch would get the job.

But for some reason Chansky always liked Mack Brown. In fact, some people who were in position to know said that it was Art Chansky who introduced Mack to Sally the Chapel Hill real estate developer (who turned some once upon a time very nice farm land into subdivisions, which means she is one of the people James Taylor takes a swipe at in 'Copperline' for developing the semi-rural paradise of his Chapel Hill boyhood into subdivisions).

I am on James Taylor's side in that disagreement, but Sally was very good for Mack. And Art Chansky having played the key role in bringing the two of them together means that even if Mack wins the ACC and makes the playoffs, Art Chansky will not attack him for ruining UNC with 'Big Time football.'

Reactions: JimmyinVA
And that is Mac's greatest gift. He seems to be able to reach out to everyone and charm even those that one would figure might be his enemy. For that reason, I am glad Mac is back in Chapel Hill because I think those talents of bringing people together was the most needed aspect of the football program. But Mac really may have missed his calling. With his gifts if he would have gone into politics the worst he could have done would have been a Senator

i like your james taylor reference. in 1965 we were living in chapel hill while my dad was in grad school, and mom befriended a lady at church whose husband was a pharmacy professor. around xmas that lady called my mom and asked if we wanted to go xmas caroling with another family whose dad was dean of the medical school. my brothers and i said no way that's boring. years later i learned it was the taylors! james was in new york that year but he came home for xmas so, yeah, we missed the boat.

i like your james taylor reference. in 1965 we were living in chapel hill while my dad was in grad school, and mom befriended a lady at church whose husband was a pharmacy professor. around xmas that lady called my mom and asked if we wanted to go xmas caroling with another family whose dad was dean of the medical school. my brothers and i said no way that's boring. years later i learned it was the taylors! james was in new york that year but he came home for xmas so, yeah, we missed the boat.
You did miss out. The mother was a classically trained singer and the father knew all the old timey stuff and the Crooners. I think all the siblings recorded at least a couple of times.

Christmas caroling with the Taylors. What a memory that would be.

And that is Mac's greatest gift. He seems to be able to reach out to everyone and charm even those that one would figure might be his enemy. For that reason, I am glad Mac is back in Chapel Hill because I think those talents of bringing people together was the most needed aspect of the football program. But Mac really may have missed his calling. With his gifts if he would have gone into politics the worst he could have done would have been a Senator
I think so too. Mack has that something very special, and it is real. That would be the thing that would get him in politics. He is too honest, too sincere. The political sharks would hunt him 24/7. They hate real people who truly are good, decent, honest types.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT