ADVERTISEMENT

Will politics in sports drive you away from the game?

Well one gentleman basically said that there are idiots that are trying make people believe that black athletes are being pushed as better as some sort of conspiracy against white players but like I said it doesn't matter what y'all think and believe me I am far from delusional as a matter of fact judging by your responses it appears that I'm the most rational one in this conversation

Well one gentleman basically said that there are idiots that are trying make people believe that black athletes are being pushed as better as some sort of conspiracy against white players but like I said it doesn't matter what y'all think and believe me I am far from delusional as a matter of fact judging by your responses it appears that I'm the most rational one in this conversation

Trying to figure out what I've posted that might be considered irrational.

Well Archer2 or whatever your handle is it's advice that appears to suit you to a tee and it's a whole lot wiser than you and anyone like you have submitted thus far and can y'all do something other than just trying to convince me I'm stupid cause for one I'm not and two it's starting to bore me

With such sage advice as that, how could you go wrong?

Well one thing is for sure, a bucket with a hole will leak water and a blind hog will find a bag of apples every now and then. But clothes don't make the man and crime does not pay.
Well if he wasn't I apologize but I still addressed the issue he was putting forth so.....

I went back and read Archer's posts..didnt see what you are referring to. I admit Im not the brightest knife in the tool shed so sorry if I missed it.

Like I said you Neanderthals are starting to bore me maybe when they invent bumper stickers with more intelligent dialogue on them that you good ole boys can put on y'alls pick em up trucks then maybe we can finish this conversation but until then I'll finish this by using the words of that great cartoon philosopher Fog horn Legg horn"stand back boy ya bothering me"Lol BYE

Like I said you Neanderthals are starting to bore me maybe when they invent bumper stickers with more intelligent dialogue on them that you good ole boys can put on y'alls pick em up trucks then maybe we can finish this conversation but until then I'll finish this by using the words of that great cartoon philosopher Fog horn Legg horn"stand back boy ya bothering me"Lol BYE
Please take your not-so-veiled racist comments elsewhere.

I must have missed that one. Although the fact that you had to say "basically said," leads me to believe you either misunderstood the post or it was never said at all. Feel free to quote the post you are talking about otherwise I'm going to assume you are just trying to be a troll.

Reactions: uncfootball-
Well Archer2 or whatever your handle is it's advice that appears to suit you to a tee and it's a whole lot wiser than you and anyone like you have submitted thus far and can y'all do something other than just trying to convince me I'm stupid cause for one I'm not and two it's starting to bore me
iGzaCKly yOre No dUMmee yOre a hErO 2 me!

iGzaCKly yOre No dUMmee yOre a hErO 2 me!

348.jpg

back to the issue of politics in sports, what do y'all think of this proposal to sing the black national anthem before kickoff? actually, i'm more comfortable with that than disrespecting the flag which hundreds of thousands of incredibly brave people have died for. the desire to have your own country is a very natural and understandable if you feel the one you're in is against you .

Last edited:
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
back to the issue of politics in sports, what do y'all think of this proposal to sing the black national anthem before kickoff? actually, i'm more comfortable with that than disrespecting the red white and blue which hundreds of thousands have died for. the desire to have your own country is a very natural and understandable if the one you're in is against you .

What does kneeling during the national anthem have to do with the flag?

What does kneeling during the national anthem have to do with the flag?

When the National Anthem is played people should stand and honor America. If you do anything to bring attention to yourself during this time that is disrespectful. If you ran around on the field doing cartwheels during the National Anthem that would be disrespectful. If kneeling was not about the flag or disrespect then they would choose another time to kneel.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
When the National Anthem is played people should stand and honor America. If you do anything to bring attention to yourself during this time that is disrespectful. If you ran around on the field doing cartwheels during the National Anthem that would be disrespectful. If kneeling was not about the flag or disrespect then they would choose another time to kneel.

But countless players have repeatedly said it has nothing to do with the flag or disrespect.

Last edited:
back to the issue of politics in sports, what do y'all think of this proposal to sing the black national anthem before kickoff? actually, i'm more comfortable with that than disrespecting the flag which hundreds of thousands of incredibly brave people have died for. the desire to have your own country is a very natural and understandable if you feel the one you're in is against you .

If we have one nation under GOD how can we possibly have a national anthem for each racial entity represented in the United States?

If we have one nation under GOD how can we possibly have a national anthem for each racial entity represented in the United States?
i think that's the point of the protest -- blacks saying we're not one nation, but two. the nfl has already decided to play the black national anthem before each game (along with the Star Spangled Banner). which colleges will do it is still undecided.

i think that's the point of the protest -- blacks saying we're not one nation, but two. the nfl has already decided to play the black national anthem before each game (along with the Star Spangled Banner). which colleges will do it is still undecided.

I think this can be divided a little further. Black democrats are saying we are not one nation. I have read from tons of black conservatives that think having two National Anthems is stupid.

If we are not one nation, how could we be only two? There are many ethnic backgrounds with various races represented in the citizenry of the United States.

If we are not one nation, how could we be only two? There are many ethnic backgrounds with various races represented in the citizenry of the United States.
there could be more than two if you count native Indians who consider their reservation to be a nation like the Great Sioux Nation. i guess any group could claim to be their own country as long as the pay their taxes to uncle sam and don't interfere with federal property or forts.

there could be more than two if you count native Indians who consider their reservation to be a nation like the Great Sioux Nation. i guess any group could claim to be their own country as long as the pay their taxes to uncle sam and don't interfere with federal property or forts.

There are a large number of Orientals on the west coast. Should an alternative anthem be played based on the racial make up of the town the game is being played in.
You know Asian on the west coast, African in the southeast, White in the midwest?
What happens to the Latinos...which racial category will we shoehorn them into? White, I guess ......there goes that persons of color argument..... They outnumber Africans.
Middle easterners? White again? Detroit has a huge Muslim population. There sure are a lot of color shades of caucasoids.

There are a large number of Orientals on the west coast. Should an alternative anthem be played based on the racial make up of the town the game is being played in.....
good point. the separatist passion we'll see to open NFL and possibly college games could be a sign of a larger phenomenon. we saw a sample also recently when armed protesters carved out a chunk of seattle and proclaimed a sovereign state. history buffs know many examples like the USSR where a union of diverse cultures was ripped apart by economic and social forces. the key issue is geography -- does the rebel faction have a land area with borders that can be proclaimed an independent nation? at this point the most prominent separatist movement is african americans. this is not new, in fact the first independent state in africa, liberia, was first settled by many thousands of american blacks seeking their own country, and the capital monrovia is named after the politician james monroe who helped them do it. africa is obviously not an option for the new black nation so perhaps they'd take one or more states in mainland usa. ironically, a majority of blacks live in southern states so that would be the logical demarcation of their new nation. (https://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=3&lvlid=61). speculation: would the federal government send armies to force them back? i doubt it. our first civil war was about slavery, so this time there's no moral or legal justification to kill the rebels just to keep the "union" together. the other ethnic groups you mentioned don't seem to have the same bitterness and political will that blacks do at this time so i doubt they'd follow suit, but i could be wrong.

good point. the separatist passion we'll see to open NFL and possibly college games could be a sign of a larger phenomenon. we saw a sample also recently when armed protesters carved out a chunk of seattle and proclaimed a sovereign state. history buffs know many examples like the USSR where a union of diverse cultures was ripped apart by economic and social forces. the key issue is geography -- does the rebel faction have a land area with borders that can be proclaimed an independent nation? at this point the most prominent separatist movement is african americans. this is not new, in fact the first independent state in africa, liberia, was first settled by many thousands of american blacks seeking their own country, and the capital monrovia is named after the politician james monroe who helped them do it. africa is obviously not an option for the new black nation so perhaps they'd take one or more states in mainland usa. ironically, a majority of blacks live in southern states so that would be the logical demarcation of their new nation. (https://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=3&lvlid=61). speculation: would the federal government send armies to force them back? i doubt it. our first civil war was about slavery, so this time there's no moral or legal justification to kill the rebels just to keep the "union" together. the other ethnic groups you mentioned don't seem to have the same bitterness and political will that blacks do at this time so i doubt they'd follow suit, but i could be wrong.

The civil war was about taxes and trade.
Slavery was a factor but not the overriding reason for secession, especially in North Carolina and Virginia.

The thing is this, all these people that want this stuff renamed will never be happy. It doesnt matter what you do these are just miserable people. They will continue to come up with a reason just to be mad.

Not necessarily a question directed only at you, but for anyone in general...Is it disrespecting the flag or that it's part of the NFL that's more problematic? Or both?

Not necessarily a question directed only at you, but for anyone in general...Is it disrespecting the flag or that it's part of the NFL that's more problematic? Or both?
many people watch sports as an escape from the political turmoil our country is going through, so yes finding politics and sports interwoven is not the entertainment they're looking for. i hope athletes who show loyalty to the alternate national anthem while dissing the star spangled banner have carefully considered some points raised in this thread. rejecting your country is serious business. southern efforts to form a new nation a century ago were deemed treasonous and worthy of severe sanctions (and yes xlance is right -- the issue of slavery was not even raised until the war was half over). similarly there are those who will be less inclined to support athletes who express disloyalty to our nation. by support i mean the economics that pay for scholarships worth hundreds of thousands of dollars each, even players who ride the bench. buying tickets, attire and souvenirs, watching commercials, donations etc. these are all options -- not social obligations.

Here's the way I look at it:

1A protects against governor censorship, so it doesn't really apply to a private organization like the NFL, but that's basically what these guys are doing. NFL can't do a lot about it without a new collective bargaining agreement, or some cooperation from the players association, and even then I'm not sure they'd ban something like kneeling. Maybe there's already existing language in their agreement that addresses the national anthem, player protests, etc. I don't know. I haven't looked it up. Bottom line, to me at least, is that if it's not against the rules, these guys are using their platforms for symbolic speech, and it really doesn't bother me, even though I feel like they could go about it in a less controversial or divisive manner. That is their choice.

It's kinda like if you live in an open carry state. You generally have that right in public. Maybe there's a restaurant that allows it. There will undoubtedly be other guests in that establishment, at some point in time, that'll be offended by you exercising your right to openly carry a firearm, regardless of your intent, or purpose for doing it. They might not like guns, don't want their kids to be around someone with a firearm, etc. Too bad. That's your right.

So, the people that find those things offensive or whatever will choose not to watch or eat somewhere else. That's understandable. I wouldn't pass judgment on anyone in either scenario.

I just dont like any political message in sports. It just divides people. Regardless of the topic. Like I mentioned earlier, if it was a law against anyone 50 years old and older voting and they protested at a game I would be against the protest. I am 50 by the way. I agree with Jimmy especially the part about people watch sports to get away from politics.

I just dont like any political message in sports. It just divides people. Regardless of the topic. Like I mentioned earlier, if it was a law against anyone 50 years old and older voting and they protested at a game I would be against the protest. I am 50 by the way. I agree with Jimmy especially the part about people watch sports to get away from politics.

I understand. I'm just trying to put a different spin on it. These are people freely expressing themselves. You can still support LEO community, the armed services, what have you, while also recognizing their right to protest as a good thing. I feel like a lot of those that serve or have served would share that same sentiment. The bigger problem is when rights are being restricted or taken away. And trust me, I get it. Unfortunately, it seems like almost EVERYTHING is politicized right now. Maybe things will change after the election. Maybe they won't. Regardless, I'm not letting it affect me too much.

Last edited:
I'd be ok with them just not playing the anthem. I've never really understood why it's played before the games. I can understand playing it at the Olympics, because you're representing your country. You're just representing your team in pro/college games.

I understand. I'm just trying to put a different spin on it. These are people freely expressing themselves. You can still support LEO community, the armed services, what have you, while also recognizing their right to protest as a good thing. I feel like a lot of those that serve or have served would share that same sentiment. The bigger problem is when rights are being restricted or taken away. And trust me, I get it. Unfortunately, it seems like almost EVERYTHING is politicized right now. Maybe things will change after the election. Maybe they won't. Regardless, I'm not letting it affect me too much.

I am not for people having their rights taken away I just think there is a time and place for things. To me a sporting event is not the place for a persons political message. I could be at the game around a large mixture of folks, different races, gender, sexual orientation, Republican, Democrat, Liberal, Conservative.. doesnt matter.. as long as no crime is committed and cheering for the Heels Im having fun. Once something political comes up there will be division.. just a fact. Not as fun anymore. That is just the way I view it.

Are we talking alternate anthems played only at NFL games, or college contests too?
yes for NFL games, that's already decided. colleges haven't announced yet. playing of the anthem(s) isn't shown on tv broadcasts anyway, so maybe they feel they don't have to announce it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT