ADVERTISEMENT

Windows 10...give me some feedback

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
I have a free upgrade on my laptop to Windows 10 ...I have had no problems with my current version but they are touting this version. Has Anyone done this upgrade and experienced problems, glitches' etc I am reluctant to change for fear of losing certain things. But it seems like a good idea. Your thoughts please...

I'm in the same boat. Have 7 on our laptop and am very comfortable with it. I've gotten favorable comments on 10 but I'm leaning towards leaving 7 on that laptop and waiting for 10 until we get a new one. My mother-in-law and my dad both have 8 and I can't stand it (granted I haven't used it very much but it doesn't seem intuitive).

I switched from 7 to 10, but then switched back. I liked Windows 10 overall, but there are a few things that ran slower and tended to lag on 10. When I switched back to 7, everything ran fine again.

You can easily switch back to your old version if you want, by the way. There is no hassle it all, so Windows 10 is definitely worth a try since you're not stuck with it if you don't like it. All you do is simply click a button, wait a few minutes, and bam, everything is back to exactly the way you had it before you upgraded.

You don't lose anything when you upgrade. If you end up switching back to your prior version, the only things you lose are anything you download AFTER you upgrade to Windows 10.

Last edited:
I upgraded a couple of weeks ago, and while there were a couple of minor kinks to work out, everything seems to be working fine now. I didn't know it was reversible, but I probably would have stuck with it anyway.

I had windows 8 and hated every minute of it. Windows 10 is much better imo.

I switched to 10 a couple months back and have had zero issues aside from one website not supporting the new Edge browser and its a site that I use to create websites, so technically it's their editor that doesn't support Edge. IIRC, your old Windows files needed to revert back to 7 are only saved for a month and then deleted. I can't remember if it asked me after that month if it was ok to delete them.

I've not noticed anything running particularly slower and I'm a pretty heavy user. The only time its any slower in general is when it's syncing with the online storage and you can disable that.

Personally, I can't think of any negatives. I've used Apple systems before and I know they are great for some people, but I personally just don't like them. I don't feel like I have enough control over things with Apple.

Reactions: Grayhead
I looked into this some more and went to FAQs on windows. They say that installing 10 will delete the Windows media center on 7 premium which I have They will give you a dvd patch of some sort. Is this the same as the media PLAYER that I use all the time with all my music on it???

Has anyone faced this and can you answer the ? re media center vs media player?? I do NOT wanna get involved in10 if it means I will lose all my downloads of tunes.

I looked into this some more and went to FAQs on windows. They say that installing 10 will delete the Windows media center on 7 premium which I have They will give you a dvd patch of some sort. Is this the same as the media PLAYER that I use all the time with all my music on it???

Has anyone faced this and can you answer the ? re media center vs media player?? I do NOT wanna get involved in10 if it means I will lose all my downloads of tunes.
I don't really use Windows Media Player for anything, so I can't really help you there. Again, if you don't like 10, you can always revert back to 7 or whatever you use, and you won't lose anything. If you really want to be safe just in case, just put all your media on an external device and redownload it if it comes to that.

So you are saying download to say a flash drive and have my stuff there?? I am an old geezer so you youngins need to guide me on this

Yep, that's probably the safest thing to do. I strongly doubt you'll lose them, but if you're that concerned about it, then it wouldn't hurt.

I don't trust Windows 10. If Microsoft is giving something away, then there has to be a reason and I strongly doubt that reason is based in my best interests.

I cannot get my printer to work with Windows 10, which sucks. Could be the printer driver software, but no fix is to be found as of yet. I have about 6 computers, Apple mac book, PC, laptops, etc. I am not a fan of Apple, never have been, the printer works with that.

I cannot get my printer to work with Windows 10, which sucks. Could be the printer driver software, but no fix is to be found as of yet. I have about 6 computers, Apple mac book, PC, laptops, etc. I am not a fan of Apple, never have been, the printer works with that.

Right. Switch to Windows 10 and all the sudden nothing works anymore.

No reason to upgrade OS unless buying a new computer and you can't get the old version.

Yeah. I just bought this one, then upgraded immediately. Mistake.

I guess I'm the oddball here. I've got a notebook computer that originally had Windows 7 on it. I installed Windows 8.1 on it about a year ago - Pain in the a$$ because it kept all my data files but I had to reinstall all my program files. Now I've upgraded again to Windows 10 and it was smooth as silk. All program and data remained intact and printer drivers are working fine. My only dislike so far is the learning curve with the Edge browser plus it screwed up my favorites as I had them neatly placed in folders by topic. Now they're all out of folders and spread out, plus I've got multiple copies of the same websites. That's going to take some cleaning up. Actually I was a Chrome browser user before. The upgrade didn't include it so I'll just reload it and go from there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT