ADVERTISEMENT

Worrisome talk from Fedora

I wouldn't even go so far as to say we're the "favorite". Yes, I saw the computer model that said so. But Dook is 2-0, and has a victory over GT, too. And their other Atlantic foe is Wake, same as us, although they get Wake EVERY year. Their road games are (I suspect they'll be favored in all but their game against us):

at va tech
at UNC
at uva
at wake

Honestly, their 2 remaining home games would be more concerning to me, if I was a Dook fan (ewwwwwww). But Miami and Pitt, while they could beat Dook, probably won't.

Ya know, it isn't impossible to hold two ideas in your head at one time. The idea that you can't have a long term goal, while simultaneously taking the one week at a time approach is silly.

If we are worried about what our head coach says and how it affects the performance of our kids after a big road win then I'm more worried about some of us than I am our football program. Bottom line, big time programs set the expectation from the jump that their ultimate goal is X. Obviously, there are small milestones along the way such as winning this week, winning the "state championship", winning the division, winning the ACC, etc but all of those are building blocks to the much bigger picture. I'm sure our kids get that. If not, we need new kids on our team.

If we are worried about what our head coach says and how it affects the performance of our kids after a big road win then I'm more worried about some of us than I am our football program. Bottom line, big time programs set the expectation from the jump that their ultimate goal is X. Obviously, there are small milestones along the way such as winning this week, winning the "state championship", winning the division, winning the ACC, etc but all of those are building blocks to the much bigger picture. I'm sure our kids get that. If not, we need new kids on our team.
Our fanbase is fine. Gridiron just has an uncontrollable disdain for Fedora and can't help himself but nitpick everything the man does.

Our fanbase is fine. Gridiron just has an uncontrollable disdain for Fedora and can't help himself but nitpick everything the man does.

That's an absolute falsehood. I don't have anything against Fedora other than inexplicably bad game management throughout his tenure at UNC. We even saw a bit of it Sat. (the onsides...but we won, so everyone is taking the position that it was a gamble that was worth it...I disagree, but that's a different subject). I've repeatedly praised many of his skills in program building, recruiting, planning, and other off the field things that go into running a college football program.

Of course you have short-terms goals interlaced w/ the long term. The two aren't exclusive; in fact, they're very inclusive. The short-term goals need to build towards the long term goal...the key is in keeping "young people" (queue the snide Cutcliffe reference, I deserve it) focused on the short term goals, so that the long-term STAYS IN PLAY. Bottom line, our coaching staff needs to focus the kids SOLELY on Wake Forest next week; my guess is that this week will be focused primarily on UNC, as programs tend to go inward during a bye week.

Before the season, and right up until that W, I would have said that Fedora explicitly saying we can win the Coastal, to players or press or fans, would be delusion of self or attempt to pacify and delude us. But that is an historic W for us. And GT, VT, and Miami all look worse this year than I assumed they could.

We could win the Coastal. Or we could drop 3 ACC games in no time and feel desperate the final couple of weeks. Based on what we have seen just during Fedora's tenure, all results are possible.

Fedora can't prevent these players from thinking about the possibility of winning the Coastal. They know the scores and the standings and the rest of the schedule. And they are going to speculate. So he might as well try to inspire them. They have gotten a huge monkey off their backs. It is better for them to think of the long range goal that now is within reach than to bask too long in the glory of that W.

That's an absolute falsehood. I don't have anything against Fedora other than inexplicably bad game management throughout his tenure at UNC. We even saw a bit of it Sat. (the onsides...but we won, so everyone is taking the position that it was a gamble that was worth it...I disagree, but that's a different subject). I've repeatedly praised many of his skills in program building, recruiting, planning, and other off the field things that go into running a college football program.

Of course you have short-terms goals interlaced w/ the long term. The two aren't exclusive; in fact, they're very inclusive. The short-term goals need to build towards the long term goal...the key is in keeping "young people" (queue the snide Cutcliffe reference, I deserve it) focused on the short term goals, so that the long-term STAYS IN PLAY. Bottom line, our coaching staff needs to focus the kids SOLELY on Wake Forest next week; my guess is that this week will be focused primarily on UNC, as programs tend to go inward during a bye week.
See once you flesh out your points, they make more sense! I agree with your whole post. I actually thought a more egregious decision than the onside kick (which I supported) was: punting when we were already down 14-0. I was livid with that one and thought it was he death knell. And sure enough they went up 21-0, but then we came back :)

All I'm getting you to try to see is maybe Fedora and his staff ARE approaching their long-term goal (Coastal) by building on short-term goals (game by game). Maybe just in the glow of a nice win, he was showing them the potential prize at the end of the road.

Roy Williams does a much better job approaching the standards that Dean Smith set than Larry Fedora does, or has to this point. That standard is a pretty good long term standard to which to aspire, no?
Hope so since Dean was basically his mentor.;)

He has been given his due. He is also being held accountable for yet another stupid move which occurred after the game.

It was a great win. Fedora made a good decision in keeping with Q for GT. He also made a good decision to hire Gene Chizik, who made a decision to adjust the D at half, something we never saw from the previous fool of a DC.

All that being said, every coach from Pop Warner on up knows not to speak in public or to his team about winning an 8 game championship after precisely 1 win.

You can say that we keep riding Fedora's ass and my response is that he keeps giving us cause to do so.
Wrong!!!!!!! Gene didn't make any adjustments at half. He challenged them at half. By saying something like now you have seen how fast it is. Now you have to want defeat you blocks and make the play. Even Fed during the post game and Schott both said there was no adjustments made.

Agree with the second sentence. But the on sides to me was smart. One thing to get the ball back while we had the mo. Second. To me it showed the team he had confidence in his D or at least challenge his D. Third we hadn't stopped them the whole game to that point except there last drive and they made it look easy. So would you rather have an 8,9 min drive for a TD. Or a 4 min drive. But everyone has a different point of view on it.

I see both points here. But GT to this team was the game they have been preparing for since the beganing of fall practice. Every Sunday was GT day. So this was the game they all figured was the game. The team that scared them the most. Since they have the offense that is a challenge. And they overcame that challenge. It show to the kids that the hard work does pay off. So they should know that there coach believes in them in there goal of winning the Coastal. That win was an emotional one for everyone in the way the kids and coaches did quit like I did. And stayed together and did whatever it took to win it. But as far as the grid. I agree the next game is always the most important game. So really neither of you are really wrong. I'm sure they will have the kids focusing on WF. I'm sure with Fed and Gene. Really two HCs if you really look at it. Will do everything possible to keep these kids hungry. GO HEELS!!!!!!

What are the odds that 'ol Mr. Magoo over in Derm or Doreen in Rawleigh haven't already said similar things to their teams about winning their respective divisions? I don't see anything wrong with Fed reminding his troops of what should be the no. 1 big picture goal.

Wrong!!!!!!! Gene didn't make any adjustments at half. He challenged them at half. By saying something like now you have seen how fast it is. Now you have to want defeat you blocks and make the play. Even Fed during the post game and Schott both said there was no adjustments made.

I know what they said and I know what I saw. Dont recall a single corner blitz in the first half and saw several in the second.

I rewatched the game and they didn't do much of anything different. Now they may have cornered blitzed a few times,but the concept of the different fronts didnt

Not to beat a dead horse but in his post-practice interview yesterday, one of the reporters basically asked "now that you've secured that rare win in Atlanta, does the momentum start rolling from here?" Basically he asked are y'all looking ahead at what could be, i.e., not taking it one week at a time.

Fedora's response? A flat-out "no." He said they're prepping for Wake Forest and only Wake Forest.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Good to hear. Had Fed, in that clip, said "I know we can win the Coastal...but to do that, we have to care of our immediate business only, week to week...and that business now centers dead squarely on Wake Forest", this thread wouldn't exist, at least not started by me.

I might have even praised him for the laser focus in the gloaming den of victory. ;)

A good manager always makes sure that his team is aware of the ultimate goal as well as short term goals. Then he stresses that in order to reach the long term goal, they must achieve the short term goals. That's all Fed was doing. Smart move IMO.

A good manager always makes sure that his team is aware of the ultimate goal as well as short term goals. Then he stresses that in order to reach the long term goal, they must achieve the short term goals. That's all Fed was doing. Smart move IMO.
I must've missed the short term references in that vid, Archer ;)

In general, I find it pretty shocking the level of disdain/lack of faith in Fedora from our collective fanbase, given that sh*t storm he's navigated us through.

A lesser man would've walked away by now.

Yes because it was a candid, immediate post-game speech lol. No coach is going to say "boys, DON'T enjoy this win because there's more to play by God" immediately after a game.

Exactly. I'll bet you a dollar to a dime he's stressing winning the next game to the players. He knows a loss to Wake negates the great win at Tech. I have no problem at all with Fed reminding the team of the big picture from time to time. It can be hard to get up for a team you're supposed to beat. But holding the carrot that is playing for their division in front of them can provide extra incentive to do so.

In general, I find it pretty shocking the level of disdain/lack of faith in Fedora from our collective fanbase, given that sh*t storm he's navigated us through.

A lesser man would've walked away by now.
I think Fedora began with a cloud hovering over his head because of the way Butch was fired. It is irrational but quite common that fans would put some 'blame' on the next coach. For many, the declining raised major questions. I was one of those. The hiring of Chiik and the new staff did the trick for me.

And here I thought uniforms were the only pointless topic that garnered 2+ page threads.
crop_exact_Screen_Shot_2015-10-09_at_12.30.31_PM.jpg

I'm again with Grid.

Does anyone here think Dean Smith ever said to his team in January "There's no doubt in my mind we can win the conference?"

Remember a few weeks ago when Fed talked about GT before the Delaware game? And we came out flat for the first half against the Blue Hens- actually had to change QBs as some of you may recall. Not saying there is a definite cause-effect, but not saying there isn't.

Ummm, Dean Smith would post pictures of the Final 4 venue in the lockers when he had a team that he thought could compete. How is that any different? The team needs a goal. All he's saying is, if we prepare for every game, this is where we can end up.

Some of you just want a reason to hate Fedora.

Reactions: UNC '92
Some of you just want a reason to hate Fedora.
I don't hate Fedora. Ridiculous notion. This thread has run its course; the point is made. It is fine to stalk long term goals, IF done in context of emphasizing the importance of focus week to week on the short term goals that necessarily preclude the long goal's accomplishment. I just thought in that vid w/ the team, Fed reversed his typical course and got way ahead of himself.

But to say I hate him is idiocy. NOTHING short of my kids' accomplishments would thrill me more than to have Larry Fedora's career at UNC land him in the Hall of Fame. But that doesn't mean he's above being critiqued or questioned.

Mods, lock this thread, pls....

Ummm, Dean Smith would post pictures of the Final 4 venue in the lockers when he had a team that he thought could compete. How is that any different?

I don't hate Fedora. Ridiculous notion. This thread has run its course
The thread has "run its course" because angelo_sellers just blew your opinion/stance out of the water and you've go further avenues to argue it.

Angelo Sellers couldn't blow his own nose, much less a lucid observation about the dangers in athletics of not taking things week to week and a coach 40% of the way thru the season talking to his team about long term goals that won't mean chit if the week to week stuff isn't taken care of. And have such basically agreed, to various degrees.

The reason the thread has run its course is that the many reasonable people here (self included) understand that short and long term goals aren't mutually exclusive, but that the short goals have to be addressed FIRST, and as such should be prime in communication w/ the team.

The unreasonable here want to play "GOTCHA" w/ me as a poster b/c they can't refute logic (THN11).

The reason the thread has run its course is that the many reasonable people here (self included) understand that short and long term goals aren't mutually exclusive, but that the short goals have to be addressed FIRST, and as such should be prime in communication w/ the team.

The unreasonable here want to play "GOTCHA" w/ me as a poster b/c they can't refute logic (THN11).
LOL okay.

Angelo Sellers couldn't blow his own nose, much less a lucid observation about the dangers in athletics of not taking things week to week....
"In a stroke of preseason motivational genius, Dean Smith hit upon a unique idea -- superimposing the 1993 team's goal onto a preexisting photo of a celebratory photo of the 1982 scoreboard celebrating his previous national championship." (Link)

Guess nobody told DES about those dangers. That's a shame, since it obviously doomed the 1993 team.

"In a stroke of preseason motivational genius, Dean Smith hit upon a unique idea -- superimposing the 1993 team's goal onto a preexisting photo of a celebratory photo of the 1982 scoreboard celebrating his previous national championship." (Link)

Guess nobody told DES about those dangers. That's a shame, since it obviously doomed the 1993 team.
Don't try man. This thread has already won its course.

Apparently, logic escapes you guys wanting to use the DES motivational ploy during the 92-93 PRESEASON as proof that coaches communicate to their teams primarily about long term goals. That or you don't even know what DES actually did (doctoring an 82 Superdome photo to implant the idea of winning the natty and pasting it into the lockers of the players).

Do you honestly equate a PRESEASON psychological ploy performed by a coach pertaining to the big picture before any games have been played.....to a coach talking to his team directly after a big win IN-SEASON about a subject that is a full six to eight weeks away, w/ lots of business to take care of week to week IN-SEASON, before the long goal can even manifest itself?

That is a weak analogy to make at best...laughably stupid, more realistically.

Or, put another way, had Fed said to the team what he said post-GT, but had done so in the preseason camp, I'd have no issue w/ it.

Timing of message, in proper context, is critical.

Angelo Sellers couldn't blow his own nose, much less a lucid observation about the dangers in athletics.

WTF?? I didn't say anything that warranted a personal attack. If you read my first F'ing postin this thread, I said there is nothing wrong with Fed saying something to the effect of "you guys are good enough to win the coastal if you guys put in the necessary work each week."

And, yet, you decide to make this personal. You, sir, are the reason cousins shouldn't have sex.

WTF?? I didn't say anything that warranted a personal attack. If you read my first F'ing postin this thread, I said there is nothing wrong with Fed saying something to the effect of "you guys are good enough to win the coastal if you guys put in the necessary work each week."

And, yet, you decide to make this personal. You, sir, are the reason cousins shouldn't have sex.
wufpeckers want to know what's wrong with cousin sex?? It's how the majority of them lost their virginity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT