ADVERTISEMENT

Worrisome talk from Fedora

Angelo, I wasn't attacking you. THN11 offered up that your Dean Smith analogy had "blown" me away. I was responding that I didn't think that analogy held, based on a PRESEASON psychological ploy prior to the season vs. IN-SEASON communication to the team in the heat of battle. Again, the edge of my response wasn't meant personally to you

But seriously, the suggestion that there is an enormous difference between discussing season goals before the season as opposed to during the season is....

Well, I'll just stick to my original assessment. You're a silly goose.

But seriously, the suggestion that there is an enormous difference between discussing season goals before the season as opposed to during the season is....

HUGE difference...in PRESEASON, there is no immediate business to tend to....your work is precisely done towards big picture goals. IN-SEASON, there is immediate, pressing business to tend to weekly. Business that if not taken care of, those preseason goals go "poof" and are rendered meaningless. Completely different mindsets are present.

Guarantee you DES didn't pull the national title psych ploy imagery in the midst of the season, playing 1-3 games weekly.

Last edited:
Guarantee you DES didn't pull the national title psych ploy imagery in the midst of the season....
After advancing to the Final Four on March 28, 1993, Dean Smith said "our goal is to win the national championship every year." Surely you aren't hypocritical enough to suggest that he "plant[ed] the seed of his own demise w/ nonsense talk like that." I'm sure you'll try to backpedal your way out it, though. Splitting hairs is obviously your strong suit.

Wrong again, THN11.
Cripes. You can't even keep straight who you're talking to. You're a silly goose.

Hey Gridiron, pay the $10 bucks and join premium. We are lacking a village idiot since Dr Know left. Stupid thread here.

I'm thrilled the Heels finally beat GT,but watching how Clemson manhandled the Bees,I'm not gonna get to excited about predicting a coastal win.We have trouble beating teams we should every year.

I'm thrilled the Heels finally beat GT,but watching how Clemson manhandled the Bees,I'm not gonna get to excited about predicting a coastal win.We have trouble beating teams we should every year.

Hopefully the new "culture" that Chizik brought with him will fix that.

I gotta say, I cannot believe I am going to defend Fedora as a rival fan... LOL

But what a stupid post.

Of course your coach is going to say he thinks his team can win the Coastal if he has any leadership qualities. Especially after such a big win.

He's a human being who wants to win while leading young people that want to win, LOL.

UNCGridironfan, the most important thing to do when you find yourself in a deep hole is to quit digging. You are correct this thread has run its course but it was many posts ago. Give it a rest.

It ran its course b/c people who want to slam me refuse to recognize the nuances involved in timing of message. But he!!, shouting me down is more important. Doesn't mean they're correct; they're not.

Grid, you've made some very good posts here but also some head scratchers. It's pretty obvious that you aren't a big Fed fan, especially WRT in game coaching decisions. I think many of us would even agree on that point.

But I think most feel you're nitpicking here. You seem to have a bit too much regard for your own opinion. Ease off a little and your generally knowledgeable posts will be better received.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Your response, Archer, have been civil, knowledgeable, and received in good spirit. It is impossible for me to believe that we have SEVERAL posters who refuse to recognize the differences in timing appropriatness of various coaching messages. In fact, i dont believe it. Said posters seem steadfast in that refusal b/c they'd rather engage me in an argument. I guess many don't like a guy who holds strong opinions. Fine. But arguing nonsensical positions such as timing of message doesn't matter does nothing to further the dialogue, nor does it make my positions less valid.

It is impossible for me to believe that we have SEVERAL posters who refuse to recognize the differences in timing appropriatness of various coaching messages. In fact, i dont believe it. Said posters seem steadfast in that refusal b/c they'd rather engage me in an argument.
Good grief. There is exactly 1 person in this thread who has agreed with you, and 21 who have disagreed. Twenty-one!

Agree
@UNC71-00

Disagree
@uncboy10
@heelmanwilm
@Tom79
@TarHeelNation11
@TVJ
@BeezerHeel
@gunslingerdick
@berry30
@The Sharkster
@Deezheelz
@HeelFan58
@GoNtheDistance
@Heels Noir
@franklin street
@WoadBlue
@TarHeelMark
@Archer2
@angelo_sellers
@tazki
@Raleigh2Miami
@Coach4ever

What's impossible to believe is your attitude that your opinion in infallible and your intellect higher than anyone else's on this board. People -- a lot of them -- simply disagree with the entire premise of this thread. In fact, I don't know that I've ever seen a more united front on any subject in all my years on these boards. Nobody is trying to engage you in an argument so stop acting like a martyr.

I suggest you re-read Archer's post and take it to heart:
But I think most feel you're nitpicking here. You seem to have a bit too much regard for your own opinion. Ease off a little and your generally knowledgeable posts will be better received.

Last edited:
Good grief. There is exactly 1 person in this thread who has agreed with you, and 21 who have disagreed. Twenty-one!

Agree
@UNC71-00

Disagree
@uncboy10
@heelmanwilm
@Tom79
@TarHeelNation11
@TVJ
@BeezerHeel
@gunslingerdick
@berry30
@The Sharkster
@Deezheelz
@HeelFan58
@GoNtheDistance
@Heels Noir
@franklin street
@WoadBlue
@TarHeelMark
@Archer2
@angelo_sellers
@tazki
@Raleigh2Miami
@Coach4ever

What's impossible to believe is your attitude that your opinion in infallible and your intellect higher than anyone else's on this board. People -- a lot of them -- simply disagree with the entire premise of this thread. In fact, I don't know that I've ever seen a more united front on any subject in all my years on these boards. Nobody is trying to engage you in an argument so stop acting like a martyr.

I suggest you re-read Archer's post and take it to heart:

It's surprising to me how many of you are wrong.

In actuality, I firmly admit I have no patience for Fedora doing anything that is to me, the least bit boneheaded. I also realize that's a relatively intolerant point to take. I also submit that's what message boards are for.

Last edited:
It's surprising to me how many of you are wrong.

Throwing yourself under the bus to save Grid from further bashing... very honorable.

I'd be more upset with Fedora if he didn't reference a chance to win the Coastal. Let the kids know that if they work hard week in and week out, that they have a very attainable goal sitting there at the end of the season. In regards to the timing of the message - I don't get the difference, and how preseason it's ok to talk about, but not intra-season? It wouldn't make much sense if you thought about it:

*In preseason*
Player A: "Coach what's our goal this season?"
Fed: "To win the Coastal"

*After GT win*
Player A: "Coach - we still aiming to win the coastal?"
Fed: "No, at this point we can't think about that anymore"

I don't give a tinker's d@mn how many people disagree vs. agree (as a point of recent reference, the vast majority of people on this board didn't see us winning at GT....and the majority of our elected officials thought it was a great idea to invade Iraq 11+ years ago...how did that majority opinion work out in terms of the overall good for the country?). Doesn't mean I think I'm "infallible" (which is a ridiculous accusation, btw...I was one of the citizenry who thought the aforementioned war was for the best; see, I have no problem w/ calling myself when I'm wrong); it does mean that I'm not going to change my mind on this subject simply b/c the numbers don't agree w/ me. I've given a lucid, well-thought out argument w/ which almost anyone IN coaching at this level would most probably agree.

BTW, FTFY below:

*In preseason*
Player A: "Coach what's our goal this season?"
Fed: "To win the Coastal"

*After GT win*
Player A: "Coach - we still aiming to win the coastal?"
Fed: "Yes, we are, but let me remind you that at this point we can't focus on anything beyond what we can control....and what we can control RIGHT NOW is how we play against Wake Forest. Then uva, then the game after that. One at a time. See, that long term Coastal goal involves some things outside of our control...like how other Coastal teams perform against each other. And heck, if we don't take care of Wake, the Coastal goal fades a good bit in terms of the chances of accomplishing it anyway."

Last edited:
Well that went well. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about:

II've given a lucid, well-thought out argument w/ which almost anyone IN coaching at this level would most probably agree.

Really? How do you know this? Your suggestion that you know the thoughts of NCAA coaches is as silly as it is impossible to verify such a statement. Just stop already. Cripes.

Fed: "Yes, we are, but let me remind you that at this point we can't focus on anything beyond what we can control....and what we can control RIGHT NOW is how we play against Wake Forest. Then uva, then the game after that. One at a time. See, that long term Coastal goal involves some things outside of our control...like how other Coastal teams perform against each other. And heck, if we don't take care of Wake, the Coastal goal fades a good bit in terms of the chances of accomplishing it anyway."

Such a long winded, dull, and cliché response like this probably wouldn't do much to inspire the troops.

That, and the bolded part in the quote is fiction. Right now we control our own destiny in the coastal - if we win the rest of our games then it doesn't matter what the rest of the division does, we'll be the winner of it.

We "control" it ONE GAME INTO the conf. season. I wonder what Dook thinks their level of "control" is at 2-0? Fiction? So if Dook loses more than once prior to or after we play them (and beats us), it makes no difference to us in the pursuit of the Coastal Div. title?

We "control" it ONE GAME INTO the conf. season. I wonder what Dook thinks their level of "control" is at 2-0? Fiction? So if Dook loses more than once prior to or after we play them (and beats us), it makes no difference to us in the pursuit of the Coastal Div. title?

T/F. If we win the rest of our games, then we are the Coastal Champs.

Reactions: uncboy10
Yes, Angelo....and find me ONE coach willing to talk like that at this point in the season. You can't. They don't.

Fine for fans; not so much for coaches.

Yes, Angelo....and find me ONE coach willing to talk like that at this point in the season. You can't. They don't.

Fine for fans; not so much for coaches.

It's already been demonstrated to you that Dean Smith did it. Grab yourself by the shoulders and yank really hard, and your head might come out of your... well you know.

That's a different discussion. I was merely responding to your statement questioning that we controlled our own destiny. That's it.

Since we win the Coastal if we win our remaining games, we, in fact, control our own destiny. That's a fact.

It's already been demonstrated to you that Dean Smith did it. Grab yourself by the shoulders and yank really hard, and your head might come out of your... well you know.

My suggestion would be some reading comprehension. What has been demonstrated is that Dean did a psych ploy PRESEASON, doctoring a Superdome scoreboard photo....and that AFTER reaching one of his 11 FFs, he said our goal is to win the natty. Yeah, once you are there, that's pretty self-evident. He didn't talk that way during the season.

Nevertheless, I'll direct all to TOS. Article called "Fedora: Focus On the Present".... says he wants to 1-0 this week, then 1-0 next week. Pretty much what I've been saying this whole thread....and what he's tended to do during his time here. Which was the driving force, my surprise, behind the thread.

Took me 1 minute and 27 seconds to find an example of Bill Belichick talking about winning the division during the season:

"That's our first goal: Win the division," Belichick said. "If we win the division we know we're in the postseason and playing at home." December 14, 2014

So I guess the next question is who is this Bill Belichick guy? Is he any good?

Last edited:
Reactions: uncboy10
Dec. 14 is the middle of the season? Holy, you guys will grasp at anything. I'd fully expect Fed to reference winning the division in late Nov. if we're down to a game or two from winning it, having won all the rest to date.

Dec. 14 is the middle of the season? Holy, you guys will grasp at anything.
Uh, dude?
[Dean] didn't talk that way during the season.
You said during the season. First it wasn't okay to talk about it at all. Then it wasn't okay to talk about it prior to the Final Four. Now it's not okay to talk about it with three games left in the regular season.

You keep moving the goalposts. That's a classic sign of someone who's wrong but refuses to admit it.

You want me to find more examples from during the season? I can assure you it's not difficult. Meanwhile you can continue arguing a lost cause and lose whatever shred of credibility you have left on this board. Because whether you're willing to acknowledge it or not, that's exactly what's happening here.

RH, I don't give a flying d@mn about what you think about my credibility. I know what my credibility is w/ regards to all I do, think, and say in life. I'm totally comfortable w/ myself, my relationships w/ friends, my kids, my loved ones, and my passions in life (Tar Heel Football being one of them).
What a despicable, asinine thing for you to say....you don't know ANYTHING about me. Disagree all you want, but drop the personal attacks. What a small-minded person you are proving to be.

RH, I don't give a flying d@mn about what you think about my credibility. I know what my credibility is w/ regards to all I do, think, and say in life. I'm totally comfortable w/ myself, my relationships w/ friends, my kids, my loved ones, and my passions in life (Tar Heel Football being one of them).
What a despicable, asinine thing for you to say....you don't know ANYTHING about me. Disagree all you want, but drop the personal attacks. What a small-minded person you are proving to be.

You are aware of what the word credibility actually means right?

Has several subtextual meanings. One of them is NOT claiming that arguing one's opinion on a freakin' message board damages their credibility. You don't agree, fine. But don't attack me personally.

I referenced your credibility on this board. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not a personal attack or any judgment of you as a person, so you can drop the martyr routine (again).

You didn't even address my point. Just offered another red herring.

One of them is NOT claiming that arguing one's opinion on a freakin' message board damages their credibility.
No one is arguing that your opinion damages your credibility. What damages your credibility is statements like this one, which is not an opinion:
...find me ONE coach willing to talk like that at this point in the season. You can't. They don't.
I could. I did. And yet you still sit here and argue about it like it's open to interpretation.

Look! Here's another one:

Charlie Strong: “Our goal is to win the conference. That’s one of our goals. We’re going to go out and compete each and every week. For us, it starts with Oklahoma State. Our mindset is go out and go win the conference.” September 21, 2015

And another!

George O'Leary: "I told the kids, 'We're 0-0 heading into conference play. That's what the one goal of the team is … and we've got to get better." September 29, 2015

Has several subtextual meanings. One of them is NOT claiming that arguing one's opinion on a freakin' message board damages their credibility. You don't agree, fine. But don't attack me personally.
Nobody understands! I get it. You are smarter than everyone else here and you want to make sure they know it. Why they can't see it I will never know. It's hard when you are literally the only one who gets you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT