ADVERTISEMENT

Would you rank Ty Lawson as the second best PG

Ty had as good a junior season as anyone at that position at UNC has ever had for one season. He would be be in my top 5! With the aforementioned Phil Ford of course Ray, Ed & The Jet; KM pushing that group hard!

Best defensive PG was Derrick Phelps. Most underrated PG is Jimmy Black. Throw in Steve Previs for one that has almost been forgotten by some folks and then I will agree with the 1-2 ranking above...

Give me Phil then after that in no particular order.............................

Ty
Ray
Jet
Jimmy
Derrick
Lebo
Butter
Ed
Larry

If you are talking strictly college I think Ty would be 3rd and that was mainly because of how much talent he was around. He didn't have to score even though he could go by anyone in the country. To me personally, Ed Cota was all you want out of a college PG. Great floor leader and facilitator. But the new generation of point guard has made the position score first. Kendall Marshall sometimes didn't get as much credit because he played around so much talent as well, but he would go in the top 5 IMO. Felton is up there as well. My knowledge before the 90's is minimal due to my youth though

No I would rank him #1 and here's why. I didn't see Ford play as I only started watching UNC bball in the early 90's. He is the best PG I've ever seen play at UNC.

CC

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

Lebo was a much better SG than a PG.
Yep, but he was a pretty dern good PG. Didn't he tie the record with 8 3's in a game as a PG?

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
Originally posted by HeelFan58:

Lebo was a much better SG than a PG.
Yep, but he was a pretty dern good PG. Didn't he tie the record with 8 3's in a game as a PG?
Yep. Lebo was a classic "combo" who could legitimately play both slots well. Dude was a walking clinic fundamentally.

FWIW, here's how I would rank them by skills (at their UNC peaks):

Scorer: 1. Phil 2. The Jet 3. Ray 4. Ty
Passing: 1. Butter 2. Cota 3. Ray 4. Phil
Perimeter shooting: 1. Phil 2. Lebo 3. The Jet 4. Ty
Ball Handling: 1. Ray 2. Cota 3. Phil 4. Ty
Defender: 1. Hale 2. Phelps 3. Ray 4. Ty
Finisher: 1. Phil 2. Ty 3. Ray 4. The Jet
Floor general: 1. Phil 2. Black 3. Butter 4. Cota
Overall Transition game: 1. Phil 2. Ty 3. Ray 4. Cota

So I suppose, taking a composite, I'm saying Ray was overall #2 to Phil. But hell, UNC is Point Guard U, so you can flip anybody's rankings and still make a good argument.
cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Originally posted by gary-7:

Ball Handling: 1. Ray 2. Cota 3. Phil 4. Ty
This is the only one that stuck out to me. Ed has to be #1 here. Has to.
I hear ya. That was a close one. Heck, all 4 of those guys were one-man press-breakers.
I actually started out with Cota and flipped it twice before I posted
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Old_School59:

Steve Previs is in the top 5 regardless who is #2. Phil Ford is the undisputed king of PG's at Carolina.
Just curious here, which one of these 5 was Steve Previs better than . . ?

Phil Ford

Ty Lawson

Raymond Felton

Derrick Phelps

Kenny Smith

Originally posted by EazyEd5:
#1 Phil
#2 Easy Ed
#3 Ty
#4 K Butter
#5 The Jet
Felton has to be top 5.

Phil
Lawson
Felton
The Jet
Ed

*Butter - had he stayed another year, he could have been as high as 2. But with only a year and half as the guy, no way I can put him above Felton and Lawson, who engineered championships or Ed and Jet who were just outstanding individual players. Butter is probably the best passer of all of them - a true PG. But his minimal time here and his lack of scoring capability don't push him in front of any of the above guys.

Originally posted by EazyEd5:

#1 Phil
#2 Easy Ed
#3 Ty
#4 K Butter
#5 The Jet
Something tells me this poster may be an Ed Cota fan . . can't quite place my finger on it, its just a hunch.

cool.r191677.gif

Ty Lawson 5-0 vs Dook!!!! What i'll never forget was the '08 Kentucky game where we were w/o Psycho T and Marcus Ginyard and we still blasted them. We proved we were more of a team then Tyler H but when his toe injury occurred the team changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT