ADVERTISEMENT

Y'all ever notice?...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...in these early-season tourneys when college teams play on courts that have the NBA 3-pt lines marked (in addition to the college line), how often college players shoot 3s from beyond the NBA arc?
I've often wondered if that's more because they mistake the lines in the heat of the game (which I'm sure happens), or if some are trying to impress NBA scouts. I suspect it may be a little of both...

I'd definitely say it's intentional a lot of the time. Even if players know they're not NBA-caliber and won't play professionally after college, I bet they still see that NBA line and think "you know what, I'm gonna try my skills from where the pros do it." Just my opinion.

I'm sure some of it is inadvertent though!

Reactions: gary-7
I think most of the good players don't really look at the line because good players instinctively know where they are and when they are within the range they are comfortable with. And even though I was never a really good ball player it seemed that every time I looked at the floor for a line the distraction of looking down before the shot never worked out well. Good players know where they are on the floor before they catch the ball generally... jmho

I'd definitely say it's intentional a lot of the time. Even if players know they're not NBA-caliber and won't play professionally after college, I bet they still see that NBA line and think "you know what, I'm gonna try my skills from where the pros do it." Just my opinion.

I'm sure some of it is inadvertent though!
...and speaking of which, Vanilla Whip just took an NBA 3 and air-balled it (awww).

Reactions: heelmanwilm
LOL, I see what you did there. He did just make one though a bit ago. Do you think Trip Daddy falls into the category of "won't make it in the NBA" ?
Honestly, he's athletic and can shoot but he needs more overall game to do anything in the league. I just don't see it yet. His dook numbers have been inflated because he's had a green light to gun. Kennard has way more game, and Tatum's the biggest talent on that team. Vanilla Whip ain't likely to meet his preseason hype.

...in these early-season tourneys when college teams play on courts that have the NBA 3-pt lines marked (in addition to the college line), how often college players shoot 3s from beyond the NBA arc?
I've often wondered if that's more because they mistake the lines in the heat of the game (which I'm sure happens), or if some are trying to impress NBA scouts. I suspect it may be a little of both...

I think it's a little of both depending on who the player is, and whether he's got a realistic shot at the next level or not?....In the heat of the battle, I think some guys just want to make sure that they are behind the line and as you stated, and sometimes those lines become blurred in the heat of the battle...

Just my two cents!

Honestly, he's athletic and can shoot but he needs more overall game to do anything in the league. I just don't see it yet. His dook numbers have been inflated because he's had a green light to gun. Kennard has way more game, and Tatum's the biggest talent on that team. Vanilla Whip ain't likely to meet his preseason hype.

Agree. Kennard and Tatum are the best players on that team (pending what we see out of Giles health).

Allen got to prove he can score on the NBA level because he doesn't play a lick of good defense. Helps him that the league like combo PGs for the moment. As of now, I think Luke will have the better pro career.

OK, so what is the general thinking, that duke will not be good when we face them? LOL Now yall know better than that, you know that when we face them they will be at their peak play. Is there a single person here that does not fully believe Giles will not only play against us but will be a stud? You guys know that is coming, yall really think duke's chemistry will fall apart when K moves Giles in to the mix?

I am gonna keep it real on the dukies, when they Get Giles back in there and you know they will, he is that big with the exceptional mid range game, Tatum will be on the wing as a 6'9" slashing big man with either Jefferson or Bolden. When you add Kennard as a pure shooter and the tripster as a guy that will knock down open looks, and Matt Jones and Jackson? That is a freakin load to contend with. Chemistry is not so much an issue when teams are winning, it becomes a problem when they don't, hard for me to see many dukie losses that will allow poor chemistry to ferment. Outside of their just not having a PG on the team, there are not a lot more holes for them to worry about and they get just enough decent guard play to hide the fact they don't really have a PG.

Reddick was ten times better than allen and it took him years to develop mainly cause of his def. Great or just good college scorers are a dime a dozen in the league but defense is the diff. (cough) andrew bogut (cough) dude from byu (cough) half a dz from nc state. (Cough) mccants. Allen is not quick or long. Perimeter players will stroll by him to the basket as if he were a stump. He will not make an opening day roster. Maybe a d leaguer that Works his way in after a couple years I would not waste a first rd pick on him. Hellllllsssssss fking nooooo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT