ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Arky game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and folks, that was a damned good win.

Lots to talk about, but let's start here: I've seen more than enough of Arky down here in SEC country, and they are a dirty team with a coach who teaches that crap --- grabs, elbows, undercuts, illegal screens, body-blocks... plus they travel constantly even just catching a pass. What's funny is that for about 8 minutes I actually thought we had a zebra crew that was gonna call that nonsense, but of course they started letting it "even out", which never goes well for us.

SO.... the question, as it is so often. was how would we react? Answer: Generally speaking, way better than yesterday., especially in the second half....

- On the down side, pointing at Mando and Withers --- guys. TAKE THE BALL THE RACK STRONG, especially against teams like this. Aggression usually gets rewarded more than finesse, unfortunately. On the plus side up front, we all but shut Arky out inside. Their 1st team ALL-SEC Big got a big fat ZERO today.

- We also outrebounded a physical and athletic team by 11.

- Speaking of plus up front, after getting bullied yesterday. our man JWash came to play today, by gum, mixing it up and playing strong vs flailing arms. Good and valuable 11 minutes with 6 and 5.

- We eventually managed to get to 70% at the line (largely thanks to RJ and Mando), but we need to be closer to 80 in these games. Too many pts given away.

- There were stretches in the first half when you could plainly see us missing Ryan, especailly when RJ went out with a second "foul" --- one of the most GAWDAWFUL opposite-of-correct calls I can remember (which BTW caused a 5-point turnaround)--- Hubert was justifiably LIVID). That's when we needed our role-players to step up.

- However, the good news is they did exactly that in the second half. Just when we were clicking and turned a 3 pt halftime deficit into an 11 point lead, we lose Cadeau for a dangerous stretch (on another dirty play, go figure) and that's when things got predictably sketchy. Kudos to Seth for really stepping up in crucial moments to help keep them at bay --- couple of big-time rhythm 3s and got on the glass with those hops --- best game as a Heel, and Woj made a couple of HUGE timely plays down the stretch after we lost EC for good.

- An ironic side-effect of that awful call on RJ was that he got a lot of rest, and I'll tell ya, it absolutely showed with fresh legs in the second half. Little guy was spry whilst his opponents were running on fumes ;)

- Although we hafta be careful about overdoing it, having a wide-body tweener with long arms like Ingram to iso is a HELLUVA luxury --- reminds me of trying to guard Adrian Dantley back in the day --- and folks, we saw how much our SPACING has improved from last season. Being able to always have an open man available to pass outta doubles is what I love to see.

- Eliot Cadeau --- meet me at Camera 3, young fella: You're the vital and frankly, irreplaceable ingredient for this team to reach its goals. Play with the swagger with which you toyed with elite high schoolers, and embrace the lessons you're getting at the college level. I saw you over there beating yourself up after that last foul. Good! Learn from it, little brother. Yes, I know you once again got hosed a couple of times to be in that situation, and the last one was ticky-tack, but you just can't give any away. We are a different and better team with you at the helm. Period.

- Generally speaking, although I would still like us to come up with more loose balls (that was glaring yesterday, BTW), we took care of the rock pretty darn well vs a ball-hawking and grabby team. 10 TOs today ain't so bad, and one of those came because they had clearly scouted the set play we ran before the half.

- Back to the dirty stuff: First, major props to #12 (the Houston transfer). Dude was on fire and hard to guard (for a really old-school reference, there was a lotta Dick Barnett in his game). With that said, there's no place for the leg kick-outs and offensive flops. That is supposed to be a point-of-emphasis over recent years, and for good reason --- it is friggin DANGEROUS to everyone involved. I really hope the kid is alright of course, but I have to point out that the ugly fall he took came from once again kicking out his leg and trying to pick up a cheap one on Mando (who avoided it). Again, let's hope he's ok.

- Finally, these super-cool early tourneys are not only great for hoops junkies like me, they are when you ideally learn some key things about your own team. And some things are becoming --- at least to my eyes --- very clear this week:
1. JWash will be key as our backup 5. If he continues to play tough like today, there's no reason for Mando to not go 110% during his minutes.
2. Withers is best suited as our first backup 4, NOT a starter. He just needs to play like his size when he goes inside and and play defense with his feet. We've also got High and/or Oko for spot/energy minutes.
3. What we saw from Seth and Pax today is exactly fitting of their perfect roles as our backup 2/3 "swing" men, enabling us to rotate five capable guys amongst the three perimeter slots (with an occasional sixth with Ingram if/when go "big").
4. It is painfully obvious that our best and default starting lineup needs to be EC/RJ/Ryan/Ingram/Bacot. No ifs, ands or buts. If some still can't see how much better we are with EC at PG, then welp... I can't help ya... :rolleyes:

Anyway... contrary to what some doom & gloomers whine about, this is a strong roster that just handled a preseason SEC favorite while short-handed. Yes, that Nova game still irks me, BUT... are you guys seeing the ass-whuppin' they're putting on media-darling Memphis right about now? And think about it --- as I pointed out yesterday, Nova had to have EVERYTHING come out their way just to snatch one from us in OT. Yes, we have more of the grinder on the horizon. and all teams are works-in-progress this time o' year. but if, and I say IF, we embrace what I pointed to above, we have a helluva ceiiing...
:cool:

Last edited:
Yessir, damn good win & write up too! RJ at the 2 is down right lethal at times… he so much faster without the ball and on the catch & go. So we are much more explosive with EC at the point. And I love that this team doesn’t back down when challenged. The new guys have some moxie and grit. That was clear this weekend and I am here for it! Lots of upside still to come from this bunch… roles are starting to get settled (I hope) & l really like the versatility.

Thanks for the write up. It’s going to be more of the same “style” of play when Rick Barnes and Tennessee roll in to town next week. Really hope that Cormac can play in that one.
Yes, yes it will. Hopefully, these last two games will serve as de facto football practice for Barnes and his builies.
BTW, Cormac tried to talk his way onto the court today, so ideally he'll be ready to rock by Weds..

...and folks, that was a damned good win.

Lots to talk about, but let's start here: I've seen more than enough of Arky down here in SEC country, and they are a dirty team with a coach who teaches that crap --- grabs, elbows, undercuts, illegal screens, body-blocks... plus they travel constantly even just catching a pass. What's funny is that for about 8 minutes I actually thought we had a zebra crew that was gonna call that nonsense, but of course they started letting it "even out", which never goes well for us.

SO.... the question, as it is so often. was how would we react? Answer: Generally speaking, way better than yesterday., especially in the second half....

- On the down side, pointing at Mando and Withers --- guys. TAKE THE BALL THE RACK STRONG, especially against teams like this. Aggression usually gets rewarded more than finesse, unfortunately. On the plus side up front, we all but shut Arky out inside. Their 1st team ALL-SEC Big got a big fat ZERO today.

- We also outrebounded a physical and athletic team by 11.

- Speaking of plus up front, after getting bullied yesterday. our man JWash came to play today, by gum, mixing it up and playing strong vs flailing arms. Good and valuable 11 minutes with 6 and 5.

- We eventually managed to get to 70% at the line (largely thanks to RJ and Mando), but we need to be closer to 80 in these games. Too many pts given away.

- There were stretches in the first half when you could plainly see us missing Ryan, especailly when RJ went out with a second "foul" --- one of the most GAWDAWFUL opposite-of-correct calls I can remember (which BTW caused a 5-point turnaround)--- Hubert was justifiably LIVID). That's when we needed our role-players to step up.

- However, the good news is they did exactly that in the second half. Just when we were clicking and turned a 3 pt halftime deficit into an 9 point lead, we lose Cadeau for a dangerous stretch (on another dirty play, go figure) and that's when things got predictably sketchy. Kudos to Seth for really stepping up in crucial moments to help keep them at bay --- couple of big-time rhythm 3s and got on the glass with those hops --- best game as a Heel, and Woj made a couple of HUGE timely plays down the stretch after we lost EC for good.

- An ironic side-effect of that awful call on RJ was that he got a lot of rest, and I'll tell ya, it absolutely showed with fresh legs in the second half. Little guy was spry whilst his opponents were running on fumes ;)

- Although we hafta be careful about overdoing it, having a wide-body tweener with long arms like Ingram to iso is a HELLUVA luxury --- reminds me of trying to guard Adrian Dantley back in the day --- and folks, we saw how much our SPACING has improved from last season. Being able to always have an open man available to pass outta doubles is what I love to see.

- Eliot Cadeau --- meet me at Camera 3, young fella: You're the vital and franky, irreplaceable ingredient for this team to reach its goals. Play with the swagger with which you toyed with elite high schoolers, and embrace the lessons you're getting at the college level. I saw you over there beating yourself up after that last foul. Good! Learn from it, little brother. Yes, I know you once again got hosed a couple of times to be in that situation, and the last one was ticky-tack, but you just can't give any away. We are a different and better team with you at the helm. Period.

- Generally speaking, although I would still like us to come up with more loose balls (that was glaring yesterday, BTW), we took care of the rock pretty darn well vs a ball-hawking and grabby team. 10 TOs today ain't so bad, and one of those came because they had clearly scouted the set play we ran before the half.

- Back to the dirty stuff: First, major props to #12 (the Houston transfer). Dude was on fire and hard to guard (for a really old-school reference, there was a lotta Dick Barnett in his game). With that said, there's no place for the leg kick-outs and offensive flops. That is supposed to be a point-of-emphasis over recent years, and for good reason --- it is friggin DANGEROUS to everyone involved. I really hope the kid is alright of course, but I have to point out that the ugly fall he took came from once again kicking out his leg and trying to pick up a cheap one on Mando (who avoided it). Again, let's hope he's ok.

- Finally, these super-cool early tourneys are not only great for hoops junkies like me, they are when you ideally learn some key things about your own team. And some things are becoming --- at least to my eyes --- very clear this week:
1. JWash will be key as our backup 5. If he continues to play tough like today, there's no reason for Mando to not go 110% during his minutes.
2. Withers is best suited as our first backup 4, NOT a starter. He just needs to play like his size when he goes inside and and play defense with his feet. We've also got High and/or Oko for spot/energy minutes.
3. What we saw from Seth and Pax today is exactly fitting of their perfect roles as our backup 2/3 "swing" men, enabling us to rotate five capable guys amongst the three perimeter slots (with an occasional sixth with Ingram if/when go "big").
4. It is painfully obvious that our best and default starting lineup needs to be EC/RJ/Ryan/Ingram/Bacot. No ifs, ands or buts. If some still can't see how much better we are with EC at PG, then welp... I can't help ya... :rolleyes:

Anyway... contrary to what some doom & gloomers whine about, this is a strong roster that just handled a preseason SEC favorite while short-handed. Yes, that Nova game still irks me, BUT... are you guys seeing the ass-whuppin' they're putting on media-darling Memphis right about now? And think about it --- as I pointed out yesterday, Nova had to have EVERYTHING come out their way just to snatch one from us in OT. Yes, we have more of the grinder on the horizon. and all teams are works-in-progress this time o' year. but if, and I say IF, we embrace what I pointed to above, we have a helluva ceiiing...
:cool:
Good stuff.
I think the rotation really got sorted out these last 3 days.
Our best 5 are the same ones I said would be this Summer, and who you mentioned above.
JWash gets better each game and I already envision what next year's team will look like with him as the starting 5.
Trimble is a VITAL piece to the puzzle as the 1st reserve guard with Pax getting the next look there.
Pax is a leader that plays with so much passion regardless of his role. He is an old school throwback Carolina player that I grew up watching.
JWhith is the player that this team needs to be more consistent. He is the best option now as the backup 4, but he fouls like he is getting NIL money per foul committed.
He is a straight line, same hand, two dribbles or less finisher. He needs to play above the rim though and not finish cute.
I was happy today, especially with Cormac Ryan out. We need Cormac vs Tenn in what is a Must win game in my opinion.

If could put your thoughts on EC on a billboard in Chapel Hill, I would.

Reviewing my posts and frustration related to RJ reverting to hero ball (I really do LOVE RJ), I want RJ to get used to sprinting down the floor on each change of possession and recognizing EC will bring (or pass) the ball up.

The ball needs to be in our PGs hands!

It would be nice to see Jalen Washington at the 4 next to Bacot for stretches. Also Bacot has to toughen up. He seems to only have good games against players that he should have a good game against. Any post player that presents a challenge he seems to fold like a bad chair. He's too important. He was beat up in the post two games in a row and never responded to either. But this team is exciting to watch and the depth will be a problem. Its been a few years since I have said that.

If could put your thoughts on EC on a billboard in Chapel Hill, I would.

Reviewing my posts and frustration related to RJ reverting to hero ball (I really do LOVE RJ), I want RJ to get used to sprinting down the floor on each change of possession and recognizing EC will bring (or pass) the ball up.

The ball needs to be in our PGs hands!
Yes. Yes it does.

As many of y'all know, I'm not big on +/- unless it's in context. Well, EC was once again +14, with the only (-) stretches coming when he was holding the fort in the first half with RJ and Mando (and of course Ryan) on the bench.

edit: correction watching the replay, +16

Last edited:
Agreed that was a solid win. Other then the bench mob time, we controlled the action to the tune of a comfortable 8 to 10 point lead throughout.

I thought these 3 in 3 days would help sort out the "deep" bench talk. They were lost without RJ, Mando, and Ryan. The big minute 5 will be RJ ( played every minute other then the foul time). Ingram (player all 40 minutes) Mando (in foul trouble again, still right at 30), Cormac when back,and Caudeu when he can avoid fouls.

Caudeu seems very coachable. He clearly took the teaching and was much better on drives staying vertical. He even did an exaggerated pull back of his arms on the first instance of a paint contest. He cares, and listens, great qualities with that talent. He got a terrible mid court call and rough battle through other two calls. His competitiveness needs to be quelled as it pertains to picking up whistles, he will.

Arkansas dee is predicted on forcing turnovers, our 2 primary ball handlers (RJ and EC) only had 1 each. Only 9 for the team. Solid stuff there.

Mando was a day late and a dollar short it seemed on everything. Jalen is a solid backup. Withers is a upside and downside 1st off the bench and see what it is that game type guy, and if Seth shoots it look out. Those are your 8 with a heavy dose of the 1st 5. Wojcik very capable as needed to spot minutes.

With the increased defensive heat we are exhibiting on ball, we are also fouling at a detrimental rate though, gotta lessen that. Solid win and the sorting out process is taking place.

Last edited:
Thx Gary for the synopsis as always. I do not usually call out officials but they seem to be getting worse and worse every single year. One play in particular I could not believe was the one that they called a common foul on EC when the Flagrant one play happened. That was absurd. There were so many horrible calls that were made over the last three games. It’s hard to watch when some ticky tack or phantom fouls are and then the very next possession you see guys get absolutely hammered and there is no calls. I was also encouraged at the first part of the game when the officials were calling obvious walks and carries and then it just stopped. It would be great to have a statement game against Tennessee next week. Rick Barnes Teams always give us trouble especially when he was with Texas. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Now we need to take care of moo u tomorrow night! Always a GDTBATH

Seth needs to shoot.. if he shoots, he needs to be our 4th starter imo.. if he doesn't shoot, start Cadeau..

Cadeau will only get better with time but he is still very raw compared to someone like Cole Anthony or Coby White.. and he's 19 already (even with reclassing) so we can't say he's too young...

Can someone please tell me wtf is wrong with Bacot?? I know he may not be as athletic as some of these other guys, but isn't he stronger or have better footwork? Why is he throwing up junk and fading away on his shots?? Why is he acting like he doesn't want to be there? I know his chances of getting drafted are slim anyways, but he's really not going to get drafted playing like this.. lots of scouts were there today to see him flop..

I've said it multiple times RJ and Bacot have to score and have to be leaders for us to win.. RJ did his part...

Reactions: thompsjj
Seth needs to shoot.. if he shoots, he needs to be our 4th starter imo.. if he doesn't shoot, start Cadeau..

Cadeau will only get better with time but he is still very raw compared to someone like Cole Anthony or Coby White.. and he's 19 already (even with reclassing) so we can't say he's too young...

Can someone please tell me wtf is wrong with Bacot?? I know he may not be as athletic as some of these other guys, but isn't he stronger or have better footwork? Why is he throwing up junk and fading away on his shots?? Why is he acting like he doesn't want to be there? I know his chances of getting drafted are slim anyways, but he's really not going to get drafted playing like this.. lots of scouts were there today to see him flop..

I've said it multiple times RJ and Bacot have to score and have to be leaders for us to win.. RJ did his part...
Seth really didn't fit well starting. His role in this one is what we need.

Thx Gary for the synopsis as always. I do not usually call out officials but they seem to be getting worse and worse every single year. One play in particular I could not believe was the one that they called a common foul on EC when the Flagrant one play happened. That was absurd. There were so many horrible calls that were made over the last three games. It’s hard to watch when some ticky tack or phantom fouls are and then the very next possession you see guys get absolutely hammered and there is no calls. I was also encouraged at the first part of the game when the officials were calling obvious walks and carries and then it just stopped. It would be great to have a statement game against Tennessee next week. Rick Barnes Teams always give us trouble especially when he was with Texas. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Now we need to take care of moo u tomorrow night! Always a GDTBATH
That nonsense of giving Cadeau a foul when he was slapped and elbowed was outrageous and let them back in the game, TBH.

I didn't have sound (sparing me from the insufferable Jimmy Dykes) so I couldn't figure out why EC went to the bench unless it was concussion precaution or something. Then suddenly I see he has a 4th foul. Just ungodly poor officiating.

It's the lazy zebras who think they have to "even up" calls. That benefits thuggish teams.

That nonsense of giving Cadeau a foul when he was slapped and elbowed was outrageous and let them back in the game, TBH.

I didn't have sound (sparing me from the insufferable Jimmy Dykes) so I couldn't figure out why EC went to the bench unless it was concussion precaution or something. Then suddenly I see he has a 4th foul. Just ungodly poor officiating.

It's the lazy zebras who think they have to "even up" calls. That benefits thuggish teams.
Also there was a horrible call against Seth that was called by the zebra on the other side of the court and not called by the zebra directly behind the play. Horrible

This was a gut check win!

The table was set for this to have been loss #2, recall we caved after losing to Bama last season in triple OT. WE played in a bad venue, a ball room converted, floor where players were slipping and sliding everywhere with awful refs, without Ryan, and lost a decent lead only to trail at the half with Arky getting a momentum score on a TO just before the half ended. And what that Mark kid was getting done for Arky was nothing short of amazing. Yet this team found a way, it was very workmen like but they passed a major test!

The refs, LOL, tests memory to recall a more whistle happy game and frankly, they were whistle happy to both teams. I know most UNC Fans will feel the refs punished us more but truth is we went to the line 35 times to their 20 trips. The refs took away any flow this game may have had, I don't think any coach or player knew what the refs were calling as fouls, it had everyone second guessing on how to defend. Just let the players play because no one wants to watch a game so controlled by the refs. Way to much tick tac was called, phantom nonsense, none of those guys should work another game, period.

Well we finally got to see Cadeau start, was it everything you expected? Now I have read comments here that seemed to feel Cadeau was the solution, all Hubert had to do was start him and he would spin his magic and we would blow opponents out! I as well wanted, still do, Cadeau to start but I expect him to be a freshman, I realize he has a lot to learn and I realize he has big time talent, my expectations are a bit less than many for the kid, in other words I consider him to be mortal! LOL He really struggled to defend, fouled out of 2 games in this tourney, doing to much reaching. Go ahead and feel many of his fouls were not deserved but bottom line kid has to realize how many fouls he has and not get his hand in the cookie jar. He and RJ struggled vs the big guards on this trip.

RJ, now really nice to see him have a MUCH more efficient game, he drove the paint and finished lay ups, took only 5 treys making 2 of them. It was really big that he nearly off set all that Mark was doing on the other end. Ingram had an outstanding tourney, so far he has been Mr consistent, scoring the ball, passing the ball, rebounding, defending, the occasional block. So far he is Manek like while playing MUCH differently than Manek and Ingram may in fact be even more important than Manek was with his versatile game. This is why I was so excited when we got his commit!

Bacot is not as aggressive as he has been, the direct opposite of what I expected, he seems to have lost some physicality and he needs to get that back. 4 rebounds and 9pts in 28mins is not the Bacot we all know. Withers, started, I love the Ingram/Withers tandem but Withers seems to me to be trying to do to much, forcing some what. He gives us some really nice things a couple trips down and then give us some bad decision that looks like what it is. He is just not the guy you want putting the ball on the floor as much, he is a guy you want making sharp cuts thru passing lanes and finishing strong & physical, stop the cute finess stuff, same for Bacot.

Missing Ryan was a tough deal, had to relay on RJ for more minutes than you want, needed Cadeau to step up and not get in to foul trouble, and this other guy needed to step up. That other guy, some what lost in all the hoopla of RJ, Cadeau, and Ryan is Seth. This game turned in that second half when some UNC player had to slow Mark down, enter Seth, at crunch time Seth made Mark really work for his ops, he was the only one that seemed able to do that the whole game. How clutch was it that for a game that Ryan was not available that Seth steps up with not only his his strong defensive game but adds in a career high scoring game?

1 final guy I want to mention is JWash, after getting only 5mins vs Nova, he gets only 10 vs Arky? Bacot in foul trouble both games and Jalen playing really well in both games in the minutes he did get? All Jalen did was score 6pts and snag 5 boards in those 10mins, you do the per 40 on that one? He got 1 more board than Bacot got in 28mins so you tell me why he didn't play more? As much as you have seen me want Withers in there, for this tourney JWash was the guy that should have got more minutes.

IN all this was a big time win, UNC has to win games vs that type of opponent and last years team struggled to get that done and didn't to many times but this team just got a big one in the bag. While there is or should be no shame in losing to Villinova by 2 in a hard fought game with whistle happy refs, yesterday was in a lot of ways a must win and they got it done, proud of them!

i don't see it that way. i see him being overpowered by athletic big guys who are stronger, quicker, and better jumpers. bacot is a fundamentally sound, steady rebounder, but when he tries to out-jump, out-muscle, or out-quick other big guys it often ends badly.
Ok but there's a ton of guys like this over the years and in the NBA.. usually the non athletic guys still have the footwork and moves to create their own shot. Can bacot not put a move on these more athletic guys? They're called "post moves" for a reason...

Yeah Seth will be the 1st guard reserve and can bring energy and athleticism
Seth didn't fit as a starter yet he is in at crunch time yesterday and gave us what we needed? Ya know, if I said something like that I am at very least going to try to explain why, not going to just say it and expect everyone to agree just because I said it, know what I mean? LOL It drives me crazy for some one to do that with no explanation? I don't happen to see Seth as a starter either but that is only due to the talent this team has and I think he still has to prove he is a solid scoring threat but he is beginning to gives us some scoring. I may not see Seth as a starter for this team I do see him as starter quality and I am not going to be upset when he begins a game as he did once in this tourney. This reply is not about your reply Tarwiz, it is about what you were replying to.

Ok but there's a ton of guys like this over the years and in the NBA.. usually the non athletic guys still have the footwork and moves to create their own shot. Can bacot not put a move on these more athletic guys? They're called "post moves" for a reason...
Bacot is so much better when he uses his size and physical strength, when he gets his primary defender on his hip, where he can catch and make a power move to the basket. Ever notice Bacot when he gets pissed out there in a game, he becomes a physical beast, he doesn't mess around, he looks to play right thru a defender. But he to often gets a bit passive and looks to finess the ball up. I watched him do something in one of those games, he gets the ball and has a wide open 5ft or so jumper, there is no defender trying to block his shot. So what does Bacot do, he takes a fall away jumper & misses it??? You are falling away on a jump shot with no defender, why, why would you ever do that? LOL

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Well we finally got to see Cadeau start, was it everything you expected? Now I have read comments here that seemed to feel Cadeau was the solution, all Hubert had to do was start him and he would spin his magic and we would blow opponents out! I as well wanted, still do, Cadeau to start but I expect him to be a freshman,
Well, let's call it straight. Cadeau being at PG was the difference-maker in carving out our leads, and if not for two HORRIFIC calls against him --- the obvious one that should've been an offensive foul on Arky, and the chicken-shit act of giving him a foul when HE got elbowed and slapped --- limited his minutes and was the only thing that kept Arky in the game.

If he doesn't start going forward, that would be a tragic self-destruct.

Last edited:
1. It seems that Bacot in losing weight since last season lost some strength as well. He's having trouble holding the post against everyone.
2. We are a legit 10 deep. No reason that Zayden High doesn't get on the floor yesterday. He will play with an edge, hit the boards, can hit the mid range.
3. EC is the straw that stirs this drink. RJ shot well but we still have no transition game with him and never will if we are being honest.
4. Withers seems a little hesitant and unsure right now if he wants to get to the rim or take the outside shot. Looks like Nance early on last year. He should start back guys down more like Ingram is doing.
5. Seth is on the edge. On the edge of becoming a star. The backcourt minutes are just so limited.

Well, let's call it straight. Cadeau being at PG was the difference-maker in carving out our leads, and if not for two HORRIFIC calls against him --- the obvious one that should've been an offensive foul on Arky, and the chicken-shit act of giving him a foul when HE got elbowed and slapped --- limited his minutes and was the only thing that kept Arky in the game.

If he doesn't start going forward, that would be a tragic self-destruct.

As you like to say...SMDH.... Excuses, excuses, excuses...For the record, making excuses is actually not the definition of calling it straight... Didn't you know that? LOL

I mean really gary, you go on and on about the refs yet we made as many free throws yesterday as Arky took, we had 35 free throws and made 20, Arky took 20 free throws and made 15 but the refs kept THEM in it? Yes the refs sucked, they sucked both ways and that is as straight as it gets.

Seth didn't fit as a starter yet he is in at crunch time yesterday and gave us what we needed? Ya know, if I said something like that I am at very least going to try to explain why, not going to just say it and expect everyone to agree just because I said it, know what I mean? LOL It drives me crazy for some one to do that with no explanation? I don't happen to see Seth as a starter either but that is only due to the talent this team has and I think he still has to prove he is a solid scoring threat but he is beginning to gives us some scoring. I may not see Seth as a starter for this team I do see him as starter quality and I am not going to be upset when he begins a game as he did once in this tourney. This reply is not about your reply Tarwiz, it is about what you were replying to.
I hear ya on Seth David. I think Seth is extremely important, and I thought this before he started knocking shots down.
I think for Seth to take that NEXT step, he needs to be more of a playmaker and creat for himself and others. If he make THIS jump too, sky is the limit.

1. It seems that Bacot in losing weight since last season lost some strength as well. He's having trouble holding the post against everyone.
2. We are a legit 10 deep. No reason that Zayden High doesn't get on the floor yesterday. He will play with an edge, hit the boards, can hit the mid range.
3. EC is the straw that stirs this drink. RJ shot well but we still have no transition game with him and never will if we are being honest.
4. Withers seems a little hesitant and unsure right now if he wants to get to the rim or take the outside shot. Looks like Nance early on last year. He should start back guys down more like Ingram is doing.
5. Seth is on the edge. On the edge of becoming a star. The backcourt minutes are just so limited.
The only things I would maybe disagree with is on Withers first backing down a defender. I don't know that I want him putting the ball on the floor that much, like Ingram is able to. I like him more to cut thru the lane in to passing lanes, give the guards a target for him to be able to catch and finish with at most a single dribble. It is for this reason I don't want him to play at the 3.

The other thing is I agree that Cadeau is or at least may be the ignitor (my way of saying straw stirs the drink) he and RJ in together because of their size and the lack of experience with Cadeau have serious defensive concerns that we saw in this tourney. I especially agree no reason High didn't get a few minutes but the guy that really should have seen starter like minutes in this tourney was JWash, he deserved them more than Withers and I am very much a Withers guy. Keeping it real !

I hear ya on Seth David. I think Seth is extremely important, and I thought this before he started knocking shots down.
I think for Seth to take that NEXT step, he needs to be more of a playmaker and creat for himself and others. If he make THIS jump too, sky is the limit.
To be fair, the thing that I think now may hold Seth back a bit is his ball handles are not as tight as I hoped they would be after the off season. I am still not completely convinced that his shooting has come as far along as it needed to but his form looks much better and seems to be confident in it, all I need is to see him consistently hit open shots in a string of games, in other words can he be Kenny Williams like as a jump shooter, not your primary go to jump shooter but one that you don't mind taking the good look.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
As you like to say...SMDH.... Excuses, excuses, excuses...For the record, making excuses is actually not the definition of calling it straight... Didn't you know that? LOL

I mean really gary, you go on and on about the refs yet we made as many free throws yesterday as Arky took, we had 35 free throws and made 20, Arky took 20 free throws and made 15 but the refs kept THEM in it? Yes the refs sucked, they sucked both ways and that is as straight as it gets.
Facts aren't excuses, so spare me the pedestrian cliches.
Cadeau did not foul out of his own doing, and that's a STRAIGHT fact.

Facts aren't excuses, so spare me the pedestrian cliches.
Cadeau did not foul out of his own doing, and that's a STRAIGHT fact.
The Cadeau doesn't foul narrative is getting tired and is frankly falling on deaf ears to anyone that watched the game. All calls are subjective but saying his fouls are mostly the result of poor officiating is incorrect.
Love your write-ups, could see less of the dog with a bone convo afterwards.

Sorry. I don't buy Cadeau as the end all be all. He's really good but not what people want to make him out to be, at least not yet.

RJ played really most of the game. I would be on him pretty big when he pounds the ball for no reason or tries the hero crap. Glad we don't see it all that often anymore.

I think Ingram was extremely impactful. It was great to see Seth knock down those open corner 3's Ingram provided. Making those shots allow the staff to keep him out there for his forte of defense. Felt bad he had to slow down a guy that RJ and Cadeau let get going. Once you let someone start feeling it, your job just became a lot harder. I have had a few games like that where you get in a rhythm and you get so comfortable and everything is easy.

Finally, my man Jalen. Granted I am partial to him and Seth, but how do you keep him from more minutes? I just don't understand it. Hoping to see more of him in December. Time to reward him for his play with more minutes.

BTW, Cormac tried to talk his way onto the court today, so ideally he'll be ready to rock by Weds..
Don't think I'd want to rush him back this early in the season. Seemed the others stepped up without him and it's still early especially if it cost EC another start. jmo

Reactions: gary-7 and thompsjj
Sorry. I don't buy Cadeau as the end all be all. He's really good but not what people want to make him out to be, at least not yet.
I think Cadeau is extremely important and UNC’s upside is almost tied to his play at a 1 to 1 level.

But the generational prospect talk is probably extremely premature. And any comparison to Jason Kidd… Jason Kidd as a freshman averaged 13 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 7.7 apg, 3.8 steals. That Cal team also had a coaching change midway through the season. Cadeau has a looooooong way to get to 19 year old Jason Kidd.

Maybe others have different definitions of generational. Kevin Durant may have been the last college player who I thought was truly generational. Maybe Anthony Davis?

Hopefully he’ll have a Kendall Marshall type impact once he’s fully ready to go.

But let’s start with not averaging 10 fouls per 40 minutes first, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT