ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday movie

tarheelinfl

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2002
Anybody else seen it, and what did you think? In a summer of sequels, remakes, and more of the
same, I found it to very refreshing and original.
Obviously the music was good and the woman from Ghostbusters was hilarious in her role as the blood sucking agent/manager!

Reactions: Heelicious
Anybody else seen it, and what did you think? In a summer of sequels, remakes, and more of the
Obviously the music was good and the woman from Ghostbusters was hilarious in her role as the blood sucking agent/manager!
It looked interesting to me. Hope to catch it soon.

It was awful. I mean, there were a few moments that were kind of cool. But, overall, it was terrible. Just not believable at all. I realize there's a suspension of disbelief necessary. But, when he goes to Google search and the Rolling Stones come up, and David Bowie comes up, and Pink Floyd come up, but no Beatles? It just doesn't work. And the story itself was kind of sappy.

You realize that's the whole premise of the movie don't you!?
Just accept it for what it is, it's a fantasy, no explanation needed!

Reactions: Heelicious
You realize that's the whole premise of the movie don't you!?
Just accept it for what it is, it's a fantasy, no explanation needed!
Yes, I understood the premise completely. They spent more time trying to float some love story amidst what the obvious attraction was supposed to be. There were some little nuggets here and there that were cute. But, it was hardly anything memorable. They failed to actually capitalize on what the premise was supposed to be.

And... they were adding details that made an already-absurd premise even less believable. I don't wanna drop too many spoilers here.

If you liked it, great. I'm a huge Beatles fan, and music, in general. I also like most of Danny Boyle's films (he did the Trainspotting films). But, I wouldn't watch this film again. It wasn't worth watching the first time. I give it 2-out-of-10 stars. And, that was for the final scene in the schoolroom- which was the only time they covered the Beatles music in a cool way, and the nostalgic "what if" scene.

Yeah as a huge Beatles fan I’m purposely not seeing it because I know it’s just going to annoy me.

I’ll watch it on a plane or something.

I wish that instead of "Yesterday" it was today.

And I wish that instead of fictional it was real.

Finally, and most importantly, I wish that instead of the Beatles never existing, that the following music never existed: JLo, Beyonce, Black Eye Peas, Rhiana, ...

Reactions: HookUNC75
I’m very happy Rihanna, JLo, and Beyoncé exist.

source.gif

Reactions: tarheel0910
Haha. Nope. Black eyed peas had a white dude, didn't they? Or half white? Doesn't matter, since they suck regardless. :eek:

But to be fair, I'll include bieber, those 3 brothers (not "brothers", but those 3 white dudes with dark hair.. .. can't think of their name right now but I could do without their music too). Boy bands from the 90s and 2000's can also be included: white, black, whatever. They pretty much are of no value to me.

Its sure not going to win any awards - but I thought it was worthy of a matinee price, sort of fun movie to get in out of the heat.
I can't tell you how tired I am of all the comic book movies, Avengers part 11, Star Wars 37, Spider Man 8, etc. Same goes for Fast and Furious. And 3rd or 4th or 5th remakes along a theme when the second remake failed. (Ghostbusters, Ocean's 11, etc.)

Even the Queen movie (Bohemian Rhapsody) and Elton John (Rocketman) - seemed pretty boring and entirely predictable, told in an uninteresting way - if you knew anything about them.

Is it a virtual impossibility to come up with a new, creative idea? I thought at least the concept in Yesterday was original, and I enjoyed it some for that purpose.

I can't tell you how tired I am of all the comic book movies, Avengers part 11, Star Wars 37, Spider Man 8, etc. Same goes for Fast and Furious. And 3rd or 4th or 5th remakes along a theme when the second remake failed. (Ghostbusters, Ocean's 11, etc.)
I enjoy most of these of movies but you're right. Yesterday deserves some credit for its originality. Too many major motion pictures have become dependent on special effects and formulaic plots.

In fact, Slate published an interesting article about a 2005 screenwriting book that has become the de facto road map for writing a successful screenplay. It'll make you a little cynical about the movie industry but there's a good plot twist towards the end.

https://slate.com/culture/2013/07/hollywood-and-blake-snyders-screenwriting-book-save-the-cat.html

Reactions: tarheelinfl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT