ADVERTISEMENT

Your coaching staff is here

I would have fired Frederick and hired Phil Ford. Hubert has been close to Phil Ford for 45 years. Phil Ford has a much better personality than Frederick and was responsible for recruiting much of the 1993 UNC title team
I would love that but consider that perhaps Phil would have trepidations about having to deal with modern players and parents. I know I would.

I would love that but consider that perhaps Phil would have trepidations about having to deal with modern players and parents. I know I would.

Plus, as mentioned on this board by someone else, kids these days outside of the state of North Carolina (and a lot of them in-state) have no idea who Phil Ford is. Unfortunately, It'd be just another old guy in your living room to a lot of recruits who have no idea how great he was.

I have reservations about the entire hiring process. While I appreciate the importance of “Family”, I hope our nepotistic approach doesn’t backfire on us.
I love Hubert Davis. I hope he gets this right. If he doesn’t...watch for significant (outside of the family) changes. Regardless of what his contract says, he has no more than 3 years to right the ship.

I love Hubert Davis. I hope he gets this right. If he doesn’t...watch for significant (outside of the family) changes. Regardless of what his contract says, he has no more than 3 years to right the ship.
Unless he has a complete meltdown, he'll get more than three years. Being a UNC guy automatically gets him an extra 2-3 years.

I'm fine with the staff. Assume Hubert knows better than anyone who he needs around him. Glad to see Lebo coming back. But have a question about Lebo. What happened with him over at ECU? They parted ways at a weird time of year with no real explanation. Never knew if Lebo ticked off the wrong folks at ECU and got run, or just decided to walk away for some reason.

But have a question about Lebo. What happened with him over at ECU? They parted ways at a weird time of year with no real explanation. Never knew if Lebo ticked off the wrong folks at ECU and got run, or just decided to walk away for some reason.
Jeff had this to say after he resigned:

"After careful consideration, and a lot of thought and talk with my family and my wife, after 36 years of playing and coaching, and after the sacrifices that we have made as a family, it was time for me to make a change and a pivot into a new chapter in my life," Lebo said. "As a coach, you pour your heart and your soul into everything that you have into coaching, into your players and into your program. Sometimes, there comes a time where you want to focus a little bit more on some areas that you might have fallen short over the course of the time."

Last edited:
So where have you been? Hubert was a key recruiter for Roy. Not too excited about Lebo or Manual. So from an article, not a great writer as he includes Frederick as an alum, he graduated from KU, but oh, well:

The addition of Sean May, Jeff Lebo and Brad Frederick means the top four coaches in the program all will be North Carolina alums for the first time.

May and Frederick are holdovers from the staff of Roy Williams, who retired earlier this month.

Davis also added Jackie Manuel as director of player and team development. Manuel played with the Tar Heels from 2001-05.

"I wanted a staff that went to North Carolina and played at North Carolina," said Davis, who coached under Williams. "I think you have a great opportunity to do this job well if you've experienced it as a player. It's not the only way, of course, but given there are so many former players who are coaching, it's a great way to build my first staff as the head coach."
Actually Brad Frederick graduated from UNC class of 1999. BA in poly sci/history. He was on Coach Smith's last team. He was from Kansas (still is-lol) but he's a Tar Heel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT