ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite international trip/vacation

UNC71-00

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2003
not trying to act like I am some international travel connoisseur, but I have been fortunate to go on some pretty cool trips out of the US in my day- several were paid by a company for which I used to work.

Anyways, for those of us who have had the fortune or who aren't scared to leave the southeast- what's your favorite trip and where would you like to go next?

I think my favorite trip was recently to Paris, but that had a lot to do with circumstances. I did have one where I went to England/Scotland for 2 weeks. The last week I was in Scotland with just me and the first wife and it was great- primarily because I would leave in the morning and go play golf and not see her again until dinner. Played some excellent courses, the whiskey and beef were great and scenery was really cool.

My youngest daughter had asked to backpack to Machu Pichu for her HS graduation present, so that's the next big one and I am really looking forward to that.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Tuscany region of Italy has been my favorite trip. Was going to go to Switzerland this year, but going out West instead because of terrorist crap.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Tuscany region of Italy has been my favorite trip. Was going to go to Switzerland this year, but going out West instead because of terrorist crap.

We went to Paris in November and it felt very safe.

Where you going out west? And by that I, assume you mean the Rockies or Pacific Coast and not Maggie Valley.

My favorite trip was probably the all-inclusive resort in the Bahamas for a friend's wedding. If you ever have the chance to be the only bachelor at a wedding full of single women, I recommend it.

Also spent 6+ months traveling throughout Central America and Cuba, including living in Nicaragua for 3 months. Despite lacking most creature comforts, that was an incredible trip full of new experiences and perspectives.

Props to 71 for the thread. My problem is I have taken about 30 international trips but they were mostly to the same place, the British Virgin Islands, and I can't pick a favorite. They were all great, well, except one, and I always come back with great stories from each one. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the trip that I took with my son and a couple of his college buddies when he graduated from UNC. A buddy of mine and I sailed those boys around the islands and we had an outstanding time doing it. Some great scenery on that trip!

Props to 71 for the thread. My problem is I have taken about 30 international trips but they were mostly to the same place, the British Virgin Islands, and I can't pick a favorite. They were all great, well, except one, and I always come back with great stories from each one. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the trip that I took with my son and a couple of his college buddies when he graduated from UNC. A buddy of mine and I sailed those boys around the islands and we had an outstanding time doing it. Some great scenery on that trip!

This trip is on my short list. We want to fly into St Thomas, bareboat a 36-40' monohull and just sail around the BVI and St John for about a week. I will hit you up for details when the time comes.

This trip is on my short list. We want to fly into St Thomas, bareboat a 36-40' monohull and just sail around the BVI and St John for about a week. I will hit you up for details when the time comes.
I don't claim to be the greatest sailor out there (or even on this board) but I can get around the BVI pretty well, so will be more than happy to give you a few tips. BTW, I'm pretty biased, but if you or any other OOTBers can do this, do not miss the opportunity. It is, by far, the coolest thing I've ever done! There is nothing like experiencing the islands from a boat.

We went to Paris in November and it felt very safe.

Where you going out west? And by that I, assume you mean the Rockies or Pacific Coast and not Maggie Valley.
Bryce Canyon, Zion, Lake Powell ( renting a houseboat), etc...

Bryce Canyon, Zion, Lake Powell ( renting a houseboat), etc...

I think RH has done the Utah swing.
Yup, have been in that corner of the world many times. @Louigi , have you been before? If not, and you want some tips, hit me up. Such a beautiful, awe-inspiring part of our country. Can you imagine being from outside the U.S. and not having any desire to see it?* Me neither.

*Hey @TarHeelNation11, see what I did there?

Yup, have been in that corner of the world many times. @Louigi , have you been before? If not, and you want some tips, hit me up. Such an beautiful, awe-inspiring part of our country. Can you imagine being from outside the U.S. and not having any desire to see it?* Me neither.

*Hey @TarHeelNation11, see what I did there?
I have not been there before. Any tips would be awesome! My wife is planning trip and we are going with a group of friends. One is a retired secret service agent who knows all these places well from past security details.

I have not been there before. Any tips would be awesome! My wife is planning trip and we are going with a group of friends. One is a retired secret service agent who knows all these places well from past security details.

Clinton used to take women there I would wager.

Nice. Having a friend in the know is a great asset. I'll write up something for you in the next day or two if that works for your timeline. Not sure where you are in the planning process.

Reactions: Louigi and UNC71-00
First would have to be the experience of quitting our jobs and spending a month in Europe (London, Paris, Italy). I know that's not a single destination, but it was a great time.

Close seconds would be the all-inclusive Mexico honeymoon and sailing offshore to the Bahamas with Dad for some island hopping.

Top of my wish list would probably be Spain. Pretend to be Hemingway and drink out of a leather wine sack by a fountain. Also the Grand Canyon, I've never been to that part of the country.

Nice. Having a friend in the know is a great asset. I'll write up something for you in the next day or two if that works for your timeline. Not sure where you are in the planning process.
We are going in June. All national parks are packed due to 100 year celebration. We rented a house somewhere. All Park facilities are all sold out.

Does Kentucky count as international travel?

My favorite international trip was a week in London (2 days in Manchester, 6 in London).

If I had to pick a continent to explore, it would be Europe. I have no desire to see any of Asia, Africa, or South America.

I think RH has done the Utah swing. I have also heard houseboat on Powell is awesome
I agree the Utah and Grand Canyon areas are great. I love Glacier National Park and the Canadian Rockies also.

For years my wife and I have tried to make one overseas trip a year. So far we have visited over 30 countries. My favorite region is the Balkans and my favorite countries in the Balkans are Croatia, Slovenia, and Bosnia. We were lucky enough to go there the first time before it became so popular.
The whole area is so rich in history.

Top of my wish list would probably be Spain. Pretend to be Hemingway and drink out of a leather wine sack by a fountain. Also the Grand Canyon, I've never been to that part of the country.
My wife and I spent 3 weeks in Spain last summer and loved it.

Call me crazy but if money was no object, I'd much prefer exploring every corner, every town, and everything of note in the U.S., rather than traveling abroad.

I guess I'm a Simple Jack.

Call me crazy but if money was no object, I'd much prefer exploring every corner, every town, and everything of note in the U.S., rather than traveling abroad.

My favorite travel quote is by John Muir “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.”

The U.S. certainly has enough natural beauty and cultural diversity that you could spend the rest of your life experiencing it all. At the same time, it's still somewhat homogenous. Traveling to other countries can really push you outside your comfort zone, which allows you to reflect on things in a way you wouldn't otherwise.

Of course we're just giving you a hard time, but being fundamentally opposed to international travel is kind of a crotchety attitude. Life is going to present you with all sorts of opportunities. I can't tell you what to think, but you'll miss some of life's best moments (IMHO) if you dismiss those opportunities out of hand.

The U.S. certainly has enough natural beauty and cultural diversity that you could spend the rest of your life experiencing it all. At the same time, it's still somewhat homogenous. Traveling to other countries can really push you outside your comfort zone, which allows you to reflect on things in a way you wouldn't otherwise.

Of course we're just giving you a hard time, but being fundamentally opposed to international travel is kind of a crotchety attitude. Life is going to present you with all sorts of opportunities. I can't tell you what to think, but you'll miss some of life's best moments (IMHO) if you dismiss those opportunities out of hand.
This.

Cozumel is my only trip out of US. It was fun but really no better than a hundred US places for half the price. Hawaii was amazing but losing two days to jet lag really sucked. My best vacation ever was to Sanibel island off fla. if u like unspoiled, non tourist destinations with no hi rise motels or chain restaurants check them out. Very romantic too.

My best vacation ever was to Sanibel island off fla. if u like unspoiled, non tourist destinations with no hi rise motels or chain restaurants check them out. Very romantic too.
I love Ocracoke for the same reasons.

Maybe I'll get wiser when I'm older.

But then again, maybe not.

"All I got are these damn Nepalese coins."

original.jpg

I'm not like the hugest Cameron Diaz fan in the world, but she is absolutely 100% drop dead gorgeous in that movie. Like incredibly hot.

Agree. I think she looks downright ugly in some movies. But yeah, she's smoking in that one. The same is true for Catherine Zeta Jones. She can look amazing and then other times kind of rough. But she looks better in the movie Intolerable Cruelty than pretty much any woman has ever looked before or since.

Agree. I think she looks downright ugly in some movies. But yeah, she's smoking in that one. The same is true for Catherine Zeta Jones. She can look amazing and then other times kind of rough. But she looks better in the movie Intolerable Cruelty than pretty much any woman has ever looked before or since.
Haven't seen that one, but I agree that CD and CZJ can fluctuate between sexy and downright bleh.

My favorite trip was probably the all-inclusive resort in the Bahamas for a friend's wedding.

I'd concur although mine wasn't all inclusive although I wish it was. Spent a week at Atlantis on Paradise Island and it was Amazing! *Coach Kryshitsky voice*

Germany is pretty cool as well!

Extending that logic, I guess you could ask why visit another state until you've seen everything in N.C., why visit another county until you've seen everything in your county....etc. See where I'm going with this?

Reactions: ticket2ride04
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT