ADVERTISEMENT

Zion update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSouthr

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2002
Met a guy over the weekend that knows Jalek & Ray Ray but as well knows Zion and his family. He feels strong that if he decided right now it would be between the Gamecocks and our Heels with odds 55-45 in our favor. Don't know how solid that is but the guy is from around the corner from Latta. He is supposed to be back in 2 weeks with an update for me.

Much better news than I had heard !

Thank you David, better odds than some give us....I'm hoping the kid might want to go where they make trips to the NCAA's every year, not every 30 years.

So you're saying there is a chance?

I tend toward the optimistic so I'm going to run with this and feel good! I completely understand the hometown pull, and I will respect his choice no matter what it is. Some choices will make me scratch my head, but SC wouldn't be one of them. Any big that chooses puke would be a real head scratcher! How many of their 5* bigs that were promised the world have developed a severe case of bench arse?

Join the Family Mr. Zion!

Go Tar Heels!

Met a guy over the weekend that knows Jalek & Ray Ray but as well knows Zion and his family. He feels strong that if he decided right now it would be between the Gamecocks and our Heels with odds 55-45 in our favor. Don't know how solid that is but the guy is from around the corner from Latta. He is supposed to be back in 2 weeks with an update for me.

Much better news than I had heard !
That is indeed encouraging, Dave. The noise from down your way wasn't nearly as positive a couple of months ago.

The other encouraging thing I heard a while back was that he had all but eliminated UK (which is always a worry with these elite kids). I can't swear to that, but that was what I was told, so I'll choose to believe it til I hear otherwise ;).

^ UK still hasn't offered which might've been indication of Cal saving face since he didn't like his chances or maybe Cal has another target ahead of Zion on their board.

^ UK still hasn't offered which might've been indication of Cal saving face since he didn't like his chances or maybe Cal has another target ahead of Zion on their board.
Yeah, a week after I heard that I also noticed a cryptic reference in an interview during his trip to Chapel Hill for the dook game where he said there was one school the media often connected him with that he really had no interest in. I was hoping he meant dook, but it sounded in context like it was UK (given a certain rapper having a jersey made and such). Again, I can't swear UK is who he meant but I'm happy to believe it til I hear otherwise... :)

You don't see that with recruits unless........

I'm not saying it's a sign but I think to say he has no interest in them is premature.
I've been to see Romeo Langford play about 5 times. I've personally seen him either before or after his game in a Dook hoodie. Could just be free stuff they get on visits.... who knows.

I'm not saying it's a sign but I think to say he has no interest in them is premature.
I've been to see Romeo Langford play about 5 times. I've personally seen him either before or after his game in a Dook hoodie. Could just be free stuff they get on visits.... who knows.
...or from certain rappers. Seriously, as you said, who knows with that sort of thing. Reuben Foster got an Auburn tattoo then went to bama (he had, um, help, but still...) Hell, maybe Zion was talking about dook... hey, as long as it wasn"t UNC ;)

If Zion does not select the Heels. I would love to see him go to South Carolina. That school has suffered enough. Seeing Alex English sitting in the stands at the Duke game was good to see. He was the last standout at South Carolina. Would also love to see South Carolina back in the ACC. The ACC needs one more team to even it out at 16.

Forgive and forget Mikey. They made a mistake by leaving the ACC, but the people who made those decisions are no longer around.:)

I've always liked the SoCar basketball program. Eddie Fogler was one of us and when he was there, I rooted for them. I also rooted for former Tar Heel Larry Davis when he was there as well. If we can't get Zion, I hope he becomes a Gamecock.

I've always liked the SoCar basketball program. Eddie Fogler was one of us and when he was there, I rooted for them. I also rooted for former Tar Heel Larry Davis when he was there as well. If we can't get Zion, I hope he becomes a Gamecock.

may have some news re: this fella...i'll let you know.

Reactions: Archer2
Yeah, a week after I heard that I also noticed a cryptic reference in an interview during his trip to Chapel Hill for the dook game where he said there was one school the media often connected him with that he really had no interest in. I was hoping he meant dook, but it sounded in context like it was UK (given a certain rapper having a jersey made and such). Again, I can't swear UK is who he meant but I'm happy to believe it til I hear otherwise... :)

Gary, being totally honest, I don't believe Zion to UNC, I believe he becomes a game cock. But this was just passing along what I heard fro0m a source I do NOT know.

Gary, being totally honest, I don't believe Zion to UNC, I believe he becomes a game cock. But this was just passing along what I heard fro0m a source I do NOT know.
Well, you've been saying from the outset that there were strong SC forces at work --- and it would beat the hell outta him going to dook or uk. So if we don't get him, like others ITT I hope he goes there.

If s carolina goes to the final four and then gets Zion we may have a problem on our hands..

yeah, i'd rather carolina go to the sec and that ain't happening either.
It would never happen, but not for the reasons you might think. Basketball wouldn't stop Carolina's move to the SEC. Olympic sports would.

All of the following of our national championship-contending sports would not have a conference to play in, if we moved to the SEC:

- men's soccer
- men's lacrosse
- women's lacrosse
- women's field hockey

All four of those teams have won an NCAA National Championship within the last 8 years and have appeared (but not won) in more title games in that timespan. The SEC doesn't field leagues for any of those four sports. We'd be screwed unless the ACC agreed to let us house our Olympic sports in the ACC... which I don't know why they'd do that.

All that being said, where do I sign for SEC?

I'd sell those Olympic sports down the river for the ability to go 3-9 in football and still get slurped by the national media as a powerhouse football program because we happened to have an SEC patch on the jersey.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I'd sell those Olympic sports down the river for the ability to go 3-9 in football
UNC football has shown it has the ability to go 3-9 in ACC football. No need to move for that reason.

still get slurped by the national media as a powerhouse football program because we happened to have an SEC patch on the jersey.
You mean like Kentucky?

Lacrosse is an Olympic sport?

Not since the early 1900's. I also hate the term "Non-Revenue" sports - because if these teams sell even one ticket or advertisement - they're revenue generating - even if they bleed cash. They should be referred to as "Unprofitable" sports, which would be everything outside football and basketball (and the select few baseball and hockey elite programs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT