ADVERTISEMENT

Zion

Steat

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2006
As each day goes by the chances of UNC landing Zion decreases. He will be playing on the Adidas AAU circuit this summer and guess who will be coaching his team? Answer...his father. Adidas created a team just for Zion and named his father as coach. Wonder why Zion has not visited UNC lately? That ship has sailed folks. Jarious Hamilton is being recruited heavily by Roy and will be at the Virginia game Saturday night.

This highligh of Zion is ridiculous!

father staying close to son..son staying close to father..seems likely as have said--remaining in south carolina

I love Jairus' game and think he'd be a great fit at UNC. Of course I'd love to have Zion because he's an incredible talent but I've never expected it to happen so not much of a disappointment to me when I didn't expect it to begin with. We need Roy to keep the full court on Jairus though.

Reactions: CJBlue and Archer2
I love Jairus' game and think he'd be a great fit at UNC. Of course I'd love to have Zion because he's an incredible talent but I've never expected it to happen so not much of a disappointment to me when I didn't expect it to begin with. We need Roy to keep the full court on Jairus though.

This is so accurate. Hamilton is a very very good consolation prize.

Reactions: RoseHeel
As each day goes by the chances of UNC landing Zion decreases. He will be playing on the Adidas AAU circuit this summer and guess who will be coaching his team? Answer...his father. Adidas created a team just for Zion and named his father as coach. Wonder why Zion has not visited UNC lately? That ship has sailed folks. Jarious Hamilton is being recruited heavily by Roy and will be at the Virginia game Saturday night.

This highligh of Zion is ridiculous!

Nothing to see there NCAA .. wink/nod ...move along.

According to a new article posted in the Charlotte Observer, link below, he is still considering his recruitment absolutely wide open! I'm not gonna worry about this until next year when he is closer to making a decision.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article133115939.html
Of course, he is.

Obama-wink.jpg

Reactions: tarheel0910
Who is the Adidas school in South Carolina? I believe SC is Under Armour and Clemson is Nike but I could be wrong.

Does Zion have a mid-range game in his arsenal. On all of the highlights I have seen he is pretty much unstoppable going to the rim. Does he have the ability to shoot the mid-range jumper that opponents in college will have to respect and not just play him for the drive?

Glenn

Does Zion have a mid-range game in his arsenal. On all of the highlights I have seen he is pretty much unstoppable going to the rim. Does he have the ability to shoot the mid-range jumper that opponents in college will have to respect and not just play him for the drive?

Glenn

Mid range game needs work. He has even said so himself.

My bet is Zion becomes a Gamecock, some rumbling out of the upstate that Brownell's seat may be getting a little to hot. Not saying Brownell is gone, not sure making a move right now is worth the buy out but this season has not helped his cause with some of the Clemson power boosters.

Hamilton v. Zion would be like a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush.

I'd take Hamilton in a heartbeat and never look back. Throw in a big or two and we have a class that may be better than the 2012 season.

Reactions: CJBlue

I'd take Hamilton in a heartbeat and never look back. Throw in a big or two and we have a class that may be better than the 2012 season.
Do we have enough scholarships?

Why hasn't Hamilton already committed? Is there some problem there?

Do we have enough scholarships?

Why hasn't Hamilton already committed? Is there some problem there?

I think what Hamilton needs to feel is a sense of priority from us, that he is our #1 target for the position and that we are not just blowing kisses at him but wanting to ask Zion to the prom? Zion, hate to say it but that is a dry hole for us, cut and run to Hamilton, let him know he is our guy for the wing from that class and I think we will get him...AND be VERY HAPPY that we did.

Me, I am all about Hamilton and do not give Zion a single thought. WE are nothing more than resume fluff for Zion, if he does not stay in SC (which is very unlikely) he is either Ky or duke so I already don't like him! LOL

So wait...you're saying you'd rather Hamilton over Zion? If so, that's lunacy.

Normally I'd agree. But you've got to look at in context... IF Zion is little to no chance for UNC but going after him puts off Hamilton Roy could end up like he did this year: whiffing on his first and second choices.
I don't know how realistic Zion is about UNC and I'd love to see him in the right shade of blue, but is it just a pipe-dream?

If giving Zion the backseat meant our chances with Hamilton were increased, I'd take that deal every day of the week and not lose a minute of sleep. Send me straight the looney bin while you're at it.

I'm tired of watching Roy waste effort on one or two top guys and miss out on not just them, but the middle guys as well. Or forcing us to dig further down the barrel. And Zion (among others) looks just like the type of recruit we bombed on in 2017. No reason to start this cycle yet again. Not for me anyway.

Roy's been giving Zion the preferential treatment and this dude hasn't given us an afterthought. Imagine if we could do that with a guy with legit interest from us for once.

Edit: IDC if Zion's the next MJ, if he's not coming here then what good does that do us?

From the clips I saw a while back, Zion is a beast who will be gone after 1 year. Hamilton should be decent as a freshman and could be a star as a junior.

Hamilton is a guy I would like to add any time. If we could convince him to play behind Zion for a year, that would be great. But I guess that isn't happening.

Cal and K have adopted the OAD philosophy. Roy has always had more of a Junior philosophy - in that his better teams tend to average a lot of juniors on them and rarely have more than 1 freshman starter. Hamilton is a better fit.

If Zion would be the difference between winning a championship that year or not, that could be a good argument for going all in on him. What does our likely roster look like?

If giving Zion the backseat meant our chances with Hamilton were increased, I'd take that deal every day of the week and not lose a minute of sleep. Send me straight the looney bin while you're at it.

I'm tired of watching Roy waste effort on one or two top guys and miss out on not just them, but the middle guys as well. Or forcing us to dig further down the barrel. And Zion (among others) looks just like the type of recruit we bombed on in 2017. No reason to start this cycle yet again. Not for me anyway.

Roy's been giving Zion the preferential treatment and this dude hasn't given us an afterthought. Imagine if we could do that with a guy with legit interest from us for once.

Edit: IDC if Zion's the next MJ, if he's not coming here then what good does that do us?

Yeah, I agree, if it were just as simple as we can have either pick the one you want most it is one thing but we don't have a prayer with Zion, there is no need in wasting our time for a kid that just isn't going to come to us.

We have to recruit guys we can get and not waste time on guys that are going else where. Hamilton is the guy for us, we can snag him but if we allow him to wonder if we are going to bring in Zion then we shoot ourselves in the foot for Hamilton and in the end get neither. Roy has adjusted his recruiting, couple examples, took hard shots at Bamba and Carter from the 2017 class, saw it was not going any where so he backed away, see him doing that with Zion now, took his shot and realizes no shot there, moving on.

I think what Hamilton needs to feel is a sense of priority from us, that he is our #1 target for the position and that we are not just blowing kisses at him but wanting to ask Zion to the prom? Zion, hate to say it but that is a dry hole for us, cut and run to Hamilton, let him know he is our guy for the wing from that class and I think we will get him...AND be VERY HAPPY that we did.

Me, I am all about Hamilton and do not give Zion a single thought. WE are nothing more than resume fluff for Zion, if he does not stay in SC (which is very unlikely) he is either Ky or duke so I already don't like him! LOL
I agree, I foresee very little chance of us signing Zion, who is as close to a slam dunk OAD as there is. I am all for going full bore for Hamilton. I'm not wasting one iota of energy hoping Zion comes to UNC, not one.

He made it pretty clear that he believes our chances of signing Hamilton are far better than the chances of signing Zion. I think most of us can agree on that.

He made it pretty clear that he believes our chances of signing Hamilton are far better than the chances of signing Zion. I think most of us can agree on that.

That's obvious. But some people on this board tend to start to diss a kid once it becomes clear they aren't coming to UNC. If we had an equal shot at both and you say Hamilton, you're nuts.

That's obvious. But some people on this board tend to start to diss a kid once it becomes clear they aren't coming to UNC. If we had an equal shot at both and you say Hamilton, you're nuts.

I agree if the shot was equal but it isn't equal or really even close, I would not put our chances at any better than 5% and in truth 1% may be more in line with things.

Now I do NOT agree with the bought and paid for stuff concerning the kid, he is enjoying being recruited and he should. But I would suggest those that he does listen to and that do influence him will be big in his recruitment, there is going to be a lot of sway held by AAU and EYBL connections and donations can find their way in to those clubs coffers. From all I hear, I am 20mins from the Gamecocks campus, have talked to one of his former coaches, the Cocks are going to be double hard to beat. Take that for what it is worth, Miss st could be a player in the end, they are a Addias school but for now I would just not bet against his becoming a Cock.

Reactions: Archer2
Some people still believe the earth is flat, just ask Kyrie Irving. But they're a very small minority. I will say I'd rather have Hamilton for 2-3 years than Zion for one. And I know some will disagree with that.

I would not go that far arch, IMO there are 2 kids, some would add a 3rd in langford but for me, if you get either Bagley or Zion and have anything close to a decent squad to wrap around either of them you become an instant contender to win your conference and make a very strong NCAAT run. Those 2 kids are difference makers...

I would not go that far arch, IMO there are 2 kids, some would add a 3rd in langford but for me, if you get either Bagley or Zion and have anything close to a decent squad to wrap around either of them you become an instant contender to win your conference and make a very strong NCAAT run. Those 2 kids are difference makers...

Langford loves him some UNC. Really like our chances there, even though it's still very early.

But we don't. And that's the point.

As far as Langford goes, I really don't see anything to suggest he's as into UNC as some say, outside of the same PR words we've heard from all recruits since the beginning of time ("Good Coach/Great Tradition/Go to a school to develop me/etc."). Hell, we already have 2 guards on the roster anyway in 2018.

I would love to be flat out wrong about this guy, but there just isn't anything substantial there to say otherwise. JMO.

As far as Langford goes, I really don't see anything to suggest he's as into UNC as some say, outside of the same PR words we've heard from all recruits since the beginning of time ("Good Coach/Great Tradition/Go to a school to develop me/etc."). Hell, we already have 2 guards on the roster anyway in 2018.

I would love to be flat out wrong about this guy, but there just isn't anything substantial there to say otherwise. JMO.

Have you listened to everything him and his father say about UNC and, more importantly, how they see the process in general? He's one of the few kids who doesn't mention getting to the NBA as fast as possible. You can't tell me reading his family's quotes that you think he's just doing another PR job like these other kids.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
Given the choice of those 3 guys, which would you take?

Is there a team player in the group?

I like adding a solid OAD to a strong foundation, but as guys like Austin Rivers and Dennis Smith demonstrate, sometimes they can hurt a team even if they help it win.

2018-19 Roster?

Freshmen (so far)
Black
White

Sophomores (so far)
Felton
Platek
Huffman
Manley

Juniors
Woods
Robinson
Rush
(Bradley)

Seniors
Maye
Williams

Am I missing anyone?

I'm assuming Tony leaves after next year - hence the parentheses. Is anyone else likely to leave early?

That's 12 guys if Tony stays, 11 if he leaves.

If that's correct and if all those guys have scholarship commitments, Roy has 1 more scholarship to give in the 2018 class - unless/until Tony leaves.

If Knox should join UNC's 2017 class, then we may not even have 1 scholarship left for 2018. He might be like Barnes and decide to stick around. Or he might be like many presumed OADs who turn out to need another year at this level.

Have you listened to everything him and his father say about UNC and, more importantly, how they see the process in general? He's one of the few kids who doesn't mention getting to the NBA as fast as possible. You can't tell me reading his family's quotes that you think he's just doing another PR job like these other kids.

You mean the same type of stuff PJ and his dad were saying when people swore up and down that his family wasn't buying into Cal's BS? The same type of things nearly every top recruit say about us before they ultimately go elsewhere? I mean, has there been a class in the past 5 or so years that we haven't heard top recruits saying they don't want to go the NBA as fast as possible, yet still ended up doing so? What makes him so different?

I've heard only one or two quotes sprinkled here and there. If you have an example, feel free to share.

IIRC, the common phrase on this board is "watch what they do, not what they say". That definitely applies to this situation.

You're one of the more rational posters on this board, so I would hope you understand why I'm very skeptical this early on.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
You mean the same type of stuff PJ and his dad were saying when people swore up and down that his family wasn't buying into Cal's BS?

People who said that were wrong. The people in the know (Clint, Rob, etc.) all said that PJ's dad had a huge man crush on UK and their staff. That doesn't exist with Romeo and his dad.

I've heard only one or two quotes sprinkled here and there. If you have an example, feel free to share.

All the stuff I've seen is on premi and we aren't allowed to share it.

I get any and all skepticism around our recruiting, I have it as well. What I'm saying is this one just feels different.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
People who said that were wrong. The people in the know (Clint, Rob, etc.) all said that PJ's dad had a huge man crush on UK and their staff. That doesn't exist with Romeo and his dad.

All the stuff I've seen is on premi and we aren't allowed to share it.

I get any and all skepticism around our recruiting, I have it as well. What I'm saying is this one just feels different.

This is good to hear about Romeo. I really hope we land Knox. We just need one guy to turn the perception around. Knox and even Felton can be those guys.

2018-19 Roster?

Freshmen (so far)
Black
White

Sophomores (so far)
Felton
Platek
Huffman
Manley

Juniors
Woods
Robinson
Rush
(Bradley)

Seniors
Maye
Williams

Am I missing anyone?

I'm assuming Tony leaves after next year - hence the parentheses. Is anyone else likely to leave early?

That's 12 guys if Tony stays, 11 if he leaves.

If that's correct and if all those guys have scholarship commitments, Roy has 1 more scholarship to give in the 2018 class - unless/until Tony leaves.

If Knox should join UNC's 2017 class, then we may not even have 1 scholarship left for 2018. He might be like Barnes and decide to stick around. Or he might be like many presumed OADs who turn out to need another year at this level.
Rush is a preferred walkon and is not guaranteed a ship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT