ADVERTISEMENT

1 second temaining

carmichael23

Senior
Feb 25, 2008
CHattanooga TN
should of had one second and a final Hail Mary for the win. Yes he stopped our forward momentum. Yes we were out of bounds with one second to go. But consider it was a first down on the play and clock should have stopped to move chains. Either way we should have been allowed one more play.

Wait - are you saying that ACC refs were wrong and it hurt UNC? I suppose you also think Ron Cherry gave UNC the business, over and over.

I stated what I thought and why and believe I’m correct.

I also did not think Ron Cherry was a very good referee.

That however has nothing to do with the fact that we should have had time in the clock remaining.

should of had one second and a final Hail Mary for the win. Yes he stopped our forward momentum. Yes we were out of bounds with one second to go. But consider it was a first down on the play and clock should have stopped to move chains. Either way we should have been allowed one more play.

I agree. Joey Galloway tried to claim his forward momentum crap but if so it’s first down anyway. Blame us for letting the game be that close to begin with.

Also should have been a defensive delay of game on the third down play when a defensive player ran off with the ball. But they didn’t blow the whistle and the clock kept rolling

Oddly, Weak had a number of favorable spots in the first half, a couple on 3 downs. Player subbing not off field before snap, no call, time on clock end of game missed call.
We did not make enough of our own breaks and well, Weak has a pretty good club. We were off our game and lost the first half by just enough to keep our rally short.
Kids will learn, we will get better and hope injuries are not too serious.
Go Heels.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Bottom line, we can’t spot a pretty good team 21 points and expect to win. No offensive plays for us on Wake’s side of the field in the first half?! No excuse for that.

Longo needs to be more creative and more adaptive with his play calling. I hope Mack holds Longo’s feet to the fire this week.

I was also disappointed in the lack of intensity by the offense in the first half. I know we were missing 5 starters from the Miami game, and Polino’s loss is huge, but we didn’t come out with the fire we needed.

Hopefully we’ll get Strowbridge back for App, meaning teams can’t double team Crawford. That makes a big difference in our DL.

I am very proud that we didn’t quit and given another minute or two, I believe we would have completed the comeback. Again though, you can’t spot a pretty good team 21 points.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
Did the officials screw up at the end? Yes. But even though possible, the odds of a game saving TD from that spot on the field are remote. Bottom line is that it shouldn't come down to that. Dave Clawson is an excellent coach. But even at that, UNC has more talented, higher rated, recruits than a Wake ever will. But they are very well coach. Game goes to show just how much work that Mack's staff has to do to get the program headed in the right direction.

Reactions: Archer2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holding_(American_football)#Holding_and_Use_of_Hands_or_Arms:_Offense

"...2. The hand(s) shall be open with the palm(s) facing the frame of the opponent or closed or cupped with the palms not facing the opponent (A.R. 9-3-3-I-IV and VI-VIII). RULE 9 / CONDUCT OF PLAYERS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TO THE RULES FR-97

b. Holding
The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook, clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructs an opponent. PENALTY—10 yards Penalties for Team A[S42].

weren't the Wake offensive linemen holding on every play??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holding_(American_football)#Holding_and_Use_of_Hands_or_Arms:_Offense

"...2. The hand(s) shall be open with the palm(s) facing the frame of the opponent or closed or cupped with the palms not facing the opponent (A.R. 9-3-3-I-IV and VI-VIII). RULE 9 / CONDUCT OF PLAYERS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TO THE RULES FR-97

b. Holding
The hand(s) and arm(s) shall not be used to grasp, pull, hook, clamp or encircle in any way that illegally impedes or illegally obstructs an opponent. PENALTY—10 yards Penalties for Team A[S42].

weren't the Wake offensive linemen holding on every play??
If you want to be technical about it, holding occurs on pretty much every play by every team.

If you want to be technical about it, holding occurs on pretty much every play by every team.
then we need to do it to the extent wake does, grabbing the jersey at the shoulders and hanging on for the duration of the play. their running backs would stand there forever waiting for the holes to develop while our guys were being held. either wake is the best blocking offensive line in the country, or they hold like crazy.

then we need to do it to the extent wake does, grabbing the jersey at the shoulders and hanging on for the duration of the play. their running backs would stand there forever waiting for the holes to develop while our guys were being held. either wake is the best blocking offensive line in the country, or they hold like crazy.
It's not like they were going up against a great DL. Unless you throw someone down or pull on their jersey, you won't get that call. Same thing with PI. That technically happens on almost all passing plays, but the refs won't call it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
Our DL is decent, but we sorely missed Strowbridge. Our OL, already minus Polino, then lost Heck. That left us very young up front. Anderson looked very nervous for the first two thirds of the game.

Ergo, why most of us said we would be a .500 club, or possibly 7-5.

Reactions: tarheel0910
It's not like they were going up against a great DL. Unless you throw someone down or pull on their jersey, you won't get that call. Same thing with PI. That technically happens on almost all passing plays, but the refs won't call it.

They even ripped one of our D-lineman's jerseys. Wake was blatantly holding all game long, without one single holding call going against them. The holding call in the game was against us, one that the announcers couldn't even find on replay.

i think the officiating was biased against carolina. that opinion is based on my own eyes and nothing will convince me otherwise. along with the stolen last play and the double standard for holding, i saw one ball placement after another go slightly in wake's favor. one announcer even commented that wake got a "favorable" spot. i don't know if it was home cooking or what, and i'm not saying we would have definitely won without the refs' agenda, but that's what i saw and it's not right. now go ahead and tear me up for making excuses -- i don't care.

We can play the “If” game all day long.

“If Williams doesn’t fumble deep in our territory...”

“If Howell starts the game playing better...”

“If Longo’s play calling had been better...”

“If we tackled a little better in the first half...”

“If Carter had run out of bounds...”

“If we’d gotten a couple of those crucial questionable spots...”

And yes, injures really hurt us. I mean really hurt us. But football is a very violent game, and if the last couple of years should have taught us anything, it’s that injuries are a big part of the game. It’s “next man up.”

The fact is Wake played closer to their potential than we did and deserved to win. Our margin of error for winning is razor thin when playing good teams. Play a little smarter and a little harder and we win, despite all the adversity.

Reactions: tarheel0910
i think the officiating was biased against carolina. that opinion is based on my own eyes and nothing will convince me otherwise. along with the stolen last play and the double standard for holding, i saw one ball placement after another go slightly in wake's favor. one announcer even commented that wake got a "favorable" spot. i don't know if it was home cooking or what, and i'm not saying we would have definitely won without the refs' agenda, but that's what i saw and it's not right. now go ahead and tear me up for making excuses -- i don't care.

The play before the "last" play, a wake defender picked up a dead ball and ran 20 yards downfield with it. That is SUPPOSED to be an automatic flag, instead it was just the refs letting wake burn some more clock, rules be damned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT