ADVERTISEMENT

2-5

Not sure why having players with enough pride not to quit on themselves and their teammates is bad.
ADs who want, for whatever reason, to keep a losing coach always assert that the coach has NOT lost lost the locker room, which is, they assume, a good sign the program can be turned around by that HC.

Baddour was certain, and correct, that Bunting had not lost the locker room after the 2 win season, which followed the 3 win season. So Baddour kept Bunting, retarding UNC football for another few years.

ADs who want, for whatever reason, to keep a losing coach always assert that the coach has NOT lost lost the locker room, which is, they assume, a good sign the program can be turned around by that HC.

Baddour was certain, and correct, that Bunting had not lost the locker room after the 2 win season, which followed the 3 win season. So Baddour kept Bunting, retarding UNC football for another few years.
I want players who want to play and give 100%. If they are willing to play for this coach, then they will play for the next one. You're making too many assumptions about Bubba based on another AD. They aren't all the same.

I have been defending Fedora on the boards and to my friends who want him out. But this is too much. I still believe that the Academic Scandal is mainly to blame but we can't win 5 games in two years and two of those against Western ( I assume we beat them Sat.). If we had won 3-4 games this year I would want to give Fedora another chance. And we could have.....VT and Cuse. But this is ridiculous. Fire him!

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I have been defending Fedora on the boards and to my friends who want him out. But this is too much. I still believe that the Academic Scandal is mainly to blame but we can't win 5 games in two years and two of those against Western ( I assume we beat them Sat.). If we had won 3-4 games this year I would want to give Fedora another chance. And we could have.....VT and Cuse. But this is ridiculous. Fire him!
Welcome to the club. But I have to add that it remains possible to win 3 games this year.

I suggest that your standards for UNC football should be higher. We should not be satisfied with a bunch of 6-8 win teams. UINC football with the right coach can have a run that it is at least as big as the one Beamer had at VT.

The results merit termination. I have no qualms with that. The local high school coach thing is some weird talking point that always seem to circulate when a team is struggling. It’s not unique to UNC and I don’t buy it. High school coaches can get over being butt hurt. Most of them don’t know shit and should be flattered a P5 coach from any school is on their campus.

On that point you are dead wrong. Sure there are some boneheads coaching high school. There are also some boneheads coaching college ball. I have seen some high school coaches that are twice the football coaches of some guys you see on the sideline on Saturdays. Most of it works like any other business. It ain't what you know, it's who you know. These college coaches aren't there because of some unknown level of genius. They were just lucky enough to be in the right situation where they knew the right people to get into a good situation and then their career takes off from there. But to say that most high school coaches don't know sh#& really proves how little you know about the game.

On that point you are dead wrong. Sure there are some boneheads coaching high school. There are also some boneheads coaching college ball. I have seen some high school coaches that are twice the football coaches of some guys you see on the sideline on Saturdays. Most of it works like any other business. It ain't what you know, it's who you know. These college coaches aren't there because of some unknown level of genius. They were just lucky enough to be in the right situation where they knew the right people to get into a good situation and then their career takes off from there. But to say that most high school coaches don't know sh#& really proves how little you know about the game.
If most high school coaches knew their shit, they wouldn’t be coaching HS

If money is truly not an issue, I can't see how Bubba can justify keeping Larry after this season. Injuries and suspensions aside, there is no excuse for the Heels to consistently be as undisciplined (and unprepared at times) as they always seem to be; and find new ways to lose winnable games nearly every week.

Pitt is 5-1 and leading the Coastal. How the $#!+ do the Heels always beat the Panthers, but nobody else?
I think Michael Carter is the reason we beat Pitt. He missed the first two gms, and gives us a unique weapon that Pitt wasn't ready for. Players win gms. Heck, we probably beat ecu if Carter can play, or even if Antonio Williams doesn't get ejected first half.

I want players who want to play and give 100%. If they are willing to play for this coach, then they will play for the next one. You're making too many assumptions about Bubba based on another AD. They aren't all the same.
You are making too many assumptions. Crum's last team never quit on him - and it was much better coached and definitely better than these 2 last Fedora teams. But literally, may of those guys refused to give Mack a half chance. Even many who remained and would start were rather obvious is opposing both the firing of Crum and the new coach. Those guys who played so hard for Crum guaranteed Mack's awful start.

Other than the cost of the buy-out, can anyone point to a factual, logical reason for keeping Fedora?
The logical reason is revealed by the history of UNC and the desire to NOT have big winning football (as opposed to having coaches who have winning records almost every year of 7-6 or 8-5). The UNC admin, whether in the 1950s or the 1980s or the 2000s, prefers barely enough winning to keep the football fans from revolting.

The logical reason is revealed by the history of UNC and the desire to NOT have big winning football (as opposed to having coaches who have winning records almost every year of 7-6 or 8-5). The UNC admin, whether in the 1950s or the 1980s or the 2000s, prefers barely enough winning to keep the football fans from revolting.

I can't point to anything factual that says you're wrong, but its hard for me to believe that the leadership of any large institution wants to fail at anything that is highly visible. I think its more the fear that football will overwhelm with the institution. I keep thinking there should be a solution for that problem an that the solution is in the nature of UNC's identity. The trouble is, we don't know what that is these days.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I can't point to anything factual that says you're wrong, but its hard for me to believe that the leadership of any large institution wants to fail at anything that is highly visible. I think its more the fear that football will overwhelm with the institution. I keep thinking there should be a solution for that problem an that the solution is in the nature of UNC's identity. The trouble is, we don't know what that is these days.
People who fear what Big Time winning football could mean (whether the fear is to protect academic reputation or social standing or the status of basketball) either do not care that football is held back from winning as well as it could, or else they see a string of 7-6 seasons as winning.

Back after Mack's 2nd season, which was his second 1-10 team, a person whose word I trust told me that a faculty member he knew well had 'joked' in his presence that a couple of really bad losing seasons was good for the football team, to keep it humble. I think Mack was never more popular among the faculty and administration than his 3rd season, when he was 6-4-1, the tie against National Champ GT. That was good enough to make UNC football fans optimistic about the future, but not so good as to 'lose humility.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT