ADVERTISEMENT

2023 RECRUITING...

I totally disagree with your assessment of Reneau. This kid is a winner and we surely could use his services. He ranks no. 21 in the class of 2022. Being ranked that high does not support your view. His frame is far more developed than his peers right now. He's strong and he plays within his system and skill set. No, he is not a Brady Manek, but he is further ahead offensively than Styles at this point. No, you won't find tons of film with jacking up threes, but you will find consistent film with him competing with tall, 3,4 and 5 position players. This guy is a winner that our team could use. Unless you are a coach, former athlete or current development coordinator, I find your assessment of this player as faulty.
Nothing in your post contradicts what I said.

He is in fact a comboforward, and we do in fact have 5 scholarships tied up in comboforwards next season.

He does in fact project to play the same position as GG Jackson, which means he is not a complimentary player for GG Jackson.

He is not a good perimeter shooter, which makes him a bad fit for Hubert Davis' offense which is predicated on having the PF be a stretch 4.

And here is the most important fact you are ignoring. UNC is currently at 15 scholarships for next season, which is 2 over the NCAA limit. We need 2 players to leave just to meet the NCAA requirement of 13 scholarships max. If we free up scholarships to add new players via the transfer portal or 2022 class, I can guarantee you the staff will be looking to add players at positions of need. I can guarantee you that comboforward is not a position of need. I'd be willing to wager money right now that Hubert Davis never offers Reneau a scholarship.

Last edited:
Leaky Black is not a good perimeter shooter either. Is he bad for Coach Davis' system. He's a dog that competes. Period, point blank!!!There are no more Brady Maneks to be found young man. We have indeed been spoiled by the play of Brady. Name another player from Brady's position, transfer portal or otherwise that duplicated his performance?? I'm waiting!!! It's going to be hard pressed to replace Brady. FACT!!!!!! Reneau has other ways to contribute to our team, without launching lower percentage jump shops. He averages 20.2 points and over 8 rebounds per game. You mean to tell me that our team can not use someone like that?? I can and will not speak for who Coach Davis will or will not offer, but I assure you that he would be a better asset playing for us, than against us. FACT!!!!!!!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Leaky Black is not a good perimeter shooter either. Is he bad for Coach Davis' system. He's a dog that competes. Period, point blank!!!There are no more Brady Maneks to be found young man. We have indeed been spoiled by the play of Brady. Name another player from Brady's position, transfer portal or otherwise that duplicated his performance?? I'm waiting!!! It's going to be hard pressed to replace Brady. FACT!!!!!! Reneau has other ways to contribute to our team, without launching lower percentage jump shops. He averages 20.2 points and over 8 rebounds per game. You mean to tell me that our team can not use someone like that?? I can and will not speak for who Coach Davis will or will not offer, but I assure you that he would be a better asset playing for us, than against us. FACT!!!!!!!
You still haven't countered a single point I made. So all you can do is hit the exclamation point a bunch of times. LMAO

Brady Manek was a career 37% 3pt shooter who struggled on defense at OU, that Hubert Davis didnt even start until Garcia got a concussion. Yet you claim we can't find a replacement to fill his role as a stretch 4 to space the floor in Hubert's offense? LMAO

I've got $100 that says Hubert Davis never offers 2022 comboforward Reneau. Accept the bet and we can find a mod from this site to hold the money in escrow until you officially lose the bet in a few weeks; or just accept you're wrong now and stop embarrassing yourself with this boycrush you have developed on a high school student who will never play for UNC.

I totally disagree with your assessment of Reneau. This kid is a winner and we surely could use his services. He ranks no. 21 in the class of 2022. Being ranked that high does not support your view. His frame is far more developed than his peers right now. He's strong and he plays within his system and skill set. No, he is not a Brady Manek, but he is further ahead offensively than Styles at this point. No, you won't find tons of film with jacking up threes, but you will find consistent film with him competing with tall, 3,4 and 5 position players. This guy is a winner that our team could use. Unless you are a coach, former athlete or current development coordinator, I find your assessment of this player as faulty.
WE have Washington and Nichel coming in, Washington can switch between the 4 and 5, Nichel is a solid jump shooter ( I consider a young Manek or Luke) and we have styles. What does this kid bring us that we do not already have talent wise? Doesn't it make more sense to develop the guys we have as opposed to bring in someone else that replicates what we already have? More the need is a big center that can either back fill for Bacot or replace him if he leaves. Lot of nice players out there, I think we will be very specific on area of need and right now we don't know if we will need to portal at all.

I'm not embarrassing myself. I don't gamble. You have your points and I have my points. We can agree to disagree. I played and coached football, baseball and basketball. And when I went to college, I also ran track. I'm both a former athlete and coach. You are welcome to disagree all you want. I realize that this is your style. You are entitled to your opinions, but that that doesn't mean that they are fact. Have you played or coached any varsity sport? Just asking, because many Monday morning quarterbacks can tell athletes what to do, but can not execute athletic plays or schemes. Stop embarrassing yourself. Aren't you the same said person that led the "Fire Hubert" rebellion? How did that work out for you? Just saying. LMAO

There is a kid from Monteverde Academy that is an absolute stud. He reminds me of a blend between George Lynch and Leaky Black. His name is Malik Reneau. He decommitted from Florida because of the coaching change there. He is a great rebounder, he posts well, scores well and has an extremely high basketball IQ. I strongly wish that we pursue him. He would be an instant impact player with an upside for the future of the program. I see this kid as a multi year player that can attract other recruits with his motor that can continue to build the brand.

I really see this young man as a compliment to a G.G. Jackson and a great depth option to the team. His work ethic, motor and basketball IQ would keep him on the floor. I would like to know if anyone agrees with me? For anyone that has seen him play, please tell me what you think.

Call Hubert now!!!

Seriously, very good analogy sir.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm not embarrassing myself. I don't gamble. You have your points and I have my points. We can agree to disagree. I played and coached football, baseball and basketball. And when I went to college, I also ran track. I'm both a former athlete and coach. You are welcome to disagree all you want. I realize that this is your style. You are entitled to your opinions, but that that doesn't mean that they are fact. Have you played or coached any varsity sport? Just asking, because many Monday morning quarterbacks can tell athletes what to do, but can not execute athletic plays or schemes. Stop embarrassing yourself. Aren't you the same said person that led the "Fire Hubert" rebellion? How did that work out for you? Just saying. LMAO
Yes please, instead of offering anything to counter my points about
1. The scholarship limit
2. The number of comboforwards on our roster
3. The actual roster needs if we get extra scholarships
4. Hubert's offensive system

Please tell us more about your 4 touchdowns in a single game for Polk High.

5bec40aa58b0314d47297ceff0ad3bf1.jpg

Leaky Black isnt a back to the basket post player. Hubert is moving away from the old school 2 post player system because he wants more spacing and shooting

theres no right or wrong way to do it its just a matter of philosophy. Thats why i hate when people say Roy’s system was outdated. You can play 2 post guys but one of them needs to be an athlete that also has good range out to 15 feet like a Henson, Brice or Williams. When you pair that with a true center you can hi/lo teams to death and kill teams in the paint and also have way more power inside for rebounding

i dont think Huberts vision is necessarily to always have a 4 man that mostly is just a catch and shoot player around the 3 point line i think thats just what Manek happened to be. I think his ideal PF is more so someone with Luke Maye’s skill set that can play in the paint but also stretch the floor when needed. Its a shame we never got to see what a Maye and Bacot frontline would look like. I think if Bacot reclassified a year early we run away with the title in 2019

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Thats why i hate when people say Roy’s system was outdated. You can play 2 post guys but one of them needs to be an athlete that also has good range out to 15 feet like a Henson, Brice or Williams. When you pair that with a true center you can hi/lo teams to death and kill teams in the paint and also have way more power inside for rebounding

i dont think Huberts vision is necessarily to always have a 4 man that mostly is just a catch and shoot player around the 3 point line i think thats just what Manek happened to be. I think his ideal PF is more so someone with Luke Maye’s skill set that can play in the paint but also stretch the floor when needed. Its a shame we never got to see what a Maye and Bacot frontline would look like. I think if Bacot reclassified a year early we run away with the title in 2019
You are really on point here. I like it
And I'm glad you stop being a di## to HD and the players. ✌️

Reactions: TheGLOV and tarwhiz
He's a dumb troll who never made it past pop warner. Ignore him

Reactions: TheGLOV
Yes please, instead of offering anything to counter my points about
1. The scholarship limit
2. The number of comboforwards on our roster
3. The actual roster needs if we get extra scholarships
4. Hubert's offensive system

Please tell us more about your 4 touchdowns in a single game for Polk High.

5bec40aa58b0314d47297ceff0ad3bf1.jpg
That is the funniest show! I miss comedies like that

Leaky Black isnt a back to the basket post player. Hubert is moving away from the old school 2 post player system because he wants more spacing and shooting

theres no right or wrong way to do it its just a matter of philosophy. Thats why i hate when people say Roy’s system was outdated. You can play 2 post guys but one of them needs to be an athlete that also has good range out to 15 feet like a Henson, Brice or Williams. When you pair that with a true center you can hi/lo teams to death and kill teams in the paint and also have way more power inside for rebounding

IMO, the most on point post yet from you.

Smh once again another one. How many 5* can you have. Hopefully too many and it causes issues with everyone wanting the ball. They must be paying real good in Durham

Darn it is nice to see someone offer a darn good argument in the midst of this cat fight over the last few posts. Darn good point that with this team Hubert fitted what he wanted done to the players he had, he set the roles of his players to what they could do, rather than force square pegs in to round holes. Manek fit what Hubert wanted done because Hubert put him in the best position Manek's ability allowed for and he accepted any short comings that came with that. That is a thing I did not always feel Roy did, Roy was locked in to how he wanted guys to play, locked in on the definition of the role for the position more than the ability of a player to fit in that pre-defined role.

Example, lets say Washington gets to us and he is ready to play, the knee is solid and he is able to get the stamina to play extended minutes. I would absolutely see Washington as a starter at the 4, most especially if Bacot comes back. Hubert would not use him exactly as he used Manek, he would look more to post up Washington on mismatches due to his length and more rotate him out of the paint rather than have him spend as much time out of the paint as Manek did. Washington is a guy you would like to see in time set the high screen and flare off when the big man defender rolls back in to the paint. Manek was more the guy that either cut in to the lane off the back screen or flared out from the deep corner, he at times was a really nice trailer for the secondary. I think Washington's length will allow him to play more from the middle. I think Washington has more ability to play back to the basket than I wanted Manek playing. Ideally you do not want to plug a guy in at the 4 just because he can hit long jumpers, else risk the Kerwin Walton effect of giving back to much of what you gain back on the defensive end. But on the other side you can't be all defense at the 3 and 4 spots with little scoring from those positions. 1 Leaky like scorer we can absorb if the 4 spot is scoring, 2 does not allow you to score enough.

On offense, you want your stretch guy to to 2 things, you want him to be able to draw defenders out of the paint, that is mission #1 and you want him to hit open shots when the defense gives it to him. This last team, we had to have scoring punch from the 4 because we did not get a lot of scoring from the 3 spot. On other teams we have got great scoring from the 3 (JJ, Cam) and did not need our power forward spot to be a big scoring position (Hicks). Same as if your 2 guard is not a big scoring threat (Kenny for example but Ant this season when he was available) then you need your PG to be more a scorer. When we faltered this season we did not have great scoring efficiency from either the 1 or the 2, if you spread then the 1 or the 2 has to take advantage of the spacing in the paint, sometimes we did and sometimes there was this shot from Ashville that was hard to understand. I felt this past team was much better when they drove looking more to draw defenders to double and kick it to the open shooter, we took and hit a lot of well guarded treys and we had to much driving with no thought of draw and kick or slip to a cutter (Caleb).

Point is Hubert will adjust to the players he has to the roles they fit rather than pound square pegs in to round holes where 1 size fits all, 1 size does not fit all now days like it used to.

The Nolan smith leaving hasn’t slowed down the dook train just yet. Was hoping Louisville would pull some away from them though.

Smh once again another one. How many 5* can you have. Hopefully too many and it causes issues with everyone wanting the ball. They must be paying real good in Durham
K has had 5 star loaded teams for years now, he has little in the way of nattys to show for it, do we now expect scheyer of all people to be able to work magic that K couldn't? You may say well look at what Hubert did, well yes but Hubert actually did have more of a back ground than scheyer has. Calling games Hubert had to study how teams played, Hubert did coach our JV team for what, 8yrs or so, he has stated how important that was for him as a 1st year head coach. Hubert has worked under several great coaches, seen multiple approaches that have been very successful, scheyer has seen K and the 1&D approach, that is all he knows. The onset of the portal has changed the value of the 1&D stuff that duke and Ky got by with for years. The portal now allows you to go get experienced guys that have proven they can produce at the college level and a savvy coming in that freshmen just do not have, you only get that with maturity. Manek had that extra savvy that a freshman Washington will not have, you can't use them the same because of that.

Duke and K had many times the most talented team in the country and yet they watched natty games on TV played by less talented teams but teams that played better together, not going to be any different with scheyer. But the problem for scheyer is that duke fan base was fine with K not winning nattys with those crazy talented teams, he got a free pass when his teams didn't achieve what that fan base expects but scheyer will be expected to win big right out of the gate with all that talent and not have the extra rope K had if his team under achieves expectations.

So puke has 5, 5* recruits lined up for 2023 before a single player from the #1 rated recruiting class of 2022 sets foot on campus. Talk about pressure to perform. Do each of those 2022 recruits realize that if they don't have a NBA draftable type of season that the expectation is the either transfer or sit next to Joey Baker? What does someone like Keels, who has talent but didn't produce NBA draftable numbers, do when he has not one, but 2, 5* recruits lined up behind him at his position?

There is zero loyalty to players at that cesspool of a program and face seems ready to double down on that system. Hell, most players aren't at dook long enough for me to hate them. Sure, some are instantly unlikeable with very punchable faces, (talking to you Ranchero) but I only see them twice a year (sorry dspn).

I love watching Heels develop and want to be a part of the lifelong family, not just the semester.

Go Heels and puck fook!!!

K has had 5 star loaded teams for years now, he has little in the way of nattys to show for it, do we now expect scheyer of all people to be able to work magic that K couldn't? You may say well look at what Hubert did, well yes but Hubert actually did have more of a back ground than scheyer has. Calling games Hubert had to study how teams played, Hubert did coach our JV team for what, 8yrs or so, he has stated how important that was for him as a 1st year head coach. Hubert has worked under several great coaches, seen multiple approaches that have been very successful, scheyer has seen K and the 1&D approach, that is all he knows. The onset of the portal has changed the value of the 1&D stuff that duke and Ky got by with for years. The portal now allows you to go get experienced guys that have proven they can produce at the college level and a savvy coming in that freshmen just do not have, you only get that with maturity. Manek had that extra savvy that a freshman Washington will not have, you can't use them the same because of that.

Duke and K had many times the most talented team in the country and yet they watched natty games on TV played by less talented teams but teams that played better together, not going to be any different with scheyer. But the problem for scheyer is that duke fan base was fine with K not winning nattys with those crazy talented teams, he got a free pass when his teams didn't achieve what that fan base expects but scheyer will be expected to win big right out of the gate with all that talent and not have the extra rope K had if his team under achieves expectations.

You definitely win the award for longest posts. So long I rarely finish them lol.

Just shocked at all these 5* committing and scheyer has yet to coach a game. Man he has no pressure huh?
The problem is duke is big man heavy in this class and sure they needed to replace banchero & Williams but that team needs solid shooting guards and PGs. Especially if Roach leaves, double down on that if Keels leaves (I would rather Keels leave than Roach but if both leave they are toast without big time portal home run).

Darn it is nice to see someone offer a darn good argument in the midst of this cat fight over the last few posts. Darn good point that with this team Hubert fitted what he wanted done to the players he had, he set the roles of his players to what they could do, rather than force square pegs in to round holes. Manek fit what Hubert wanted done because Hubert put him in the best position Manek's ability allowed for and he accepted any short comings that came with that. That is a thing I did not always feel Roy did, Roy was locked in to how he wanted guys to play, locked in on the definition of the role for the position more than the ability of a player to fit in that pre-defined role.

Example, lets say Washington gets to us and he is ready to play, the knee is solid and he is able to get the stamina to play extended minutes. I would absolutely see Washington as a starter at the 4, most especially if Bacot comes back. Hubert would not use him exactly as he used Manek, he would look more to post up Washington on mismatches due to his length and more rotate him out of the paint rather than have him spend as much time out of the paint as Manek did. Washington is a guy you would like to see in time set the high screen and flare off when the big man defender rolls back in to the paint. Manek was more the guy that either cut in to the lane off the back screen or flared out from the deep corner, he at times was a really nice trailer for the secondary. I think Washington's length will allow him to play more from the middle. I think Washington has more ability to play back to the basket than I wanted Manek playing. Ideally you do not want to plug a guy in at the 4 just because he can hit long jumpers, else risk the Kerwin Walton effect of giving back to much of what you gain back on the defensive end. But on the other side you can't be all defense at the 3 and 4 spots with little scoring from those positions. 1 Leaky like scorer we can absorb if the 4 spot is scoring, 2 does not allow you to score enough.

On offense, you want your stretch guy to to 2 things, you want him to be able to draw defenders out of the paint, that is mission #1 and you want him to hit open shots when the defense gives it to him. This last team, we had to have scoring punch from the 4 because we did not get a lot of scoring from the 3 spot. On other teams we have got great scoring from the 3 (JJ, Cam) and did not need our power forward spot to be a big scoring position (Hicks). Same as if your 2 guard is not a big scoring threat (Kenny for example but Ant this season when he was available) then you need your PG to be more a scorer. When we faltered this season we did not have great scoring efficiency from either the 1 or the 2, if you spread then the 1 or the 2 has to take advantage of the spacing in the paint, sometimes we did and sometimes there was this shot from Ashville that was hard to understand. I felt this past team was much better when they drove looking more to draw defenders to double and kick it to the open shooter, we took and hit a lot of well guarded treys and we had to much driving with no thought of draw and kick or slip to a cutter (Caleb).

Point is Hubert will adjust to the players he has to the roles they fit rather than pound square pegs in to round holes where 1 size fits all, 1 size does not fit all now days like it used to.
I really enjoyed watching Manek move without the ball. It reminded me of our Teams with Joe Wolf, Popson, Lynch etc… Leaky and others found him a lot especially near the end of the season. He just simply moved without the ball. I agree about Washington and the way Hubert can use his talents. Of course as you mentioned we will see what his knee can do and how much rust he has to shake off from being away from the game for a year and a half. I am excited about Trimble’s game. Man is that kid strong he’s shifty, fast and can jump out of the gym. He is fast but I think he has to improve on his quickness. I took my son and his friend to the Georgia Tech game in Chapel Hill. It was the first basketball game I’ve been to since we beat number one UCONN back in 2003 I believe. We sat mid court and about 20 rows up from the floor and I was so impressed by how Fast and quick RJ was, Leaky’s tenacious defense and Manek’s ability to just do the little things that end up being big things in which you can win or lose a game. I still don’t know about Nickel. I know his level of competition was not great but to be the all time leader in scoring in Virginia is amazing. I was surprised that he never moved up the rankings that much. I see a lot of things he had to work on but if anyone has further insight into his game please let me know. Thx

So puke has 5, 5* recruits lined up for 2023 before a single player from the #1 rated recruiting class of 2022 sets foot on campus. Talk about pressure to perform. Do each of those 2022 recruits realize that if they don't have a NBA draftable type of season that the expectation is the either transfer or sit next to Joey Baker? What does someone like Keels, who has talent but didn't produce NBA draftable numbers, do when he has not one, but 2, 5* recruits lined up behind him at his position?

There is zero loyalty to players at that cesspool of a program and face seems ready to double down on that system. Hell, most players aren't at dook long enough for me to hate them. Sure, some are instantly unlikeable with very punchable faces, (talking to you Ranchero) but I only see them twice a year (sorry dspn).

I love watching Heels develop and want to be a part of the lifelong family, not just the semester.

Go Heels and puck fook!!!
It's been proven year after year of late, and especially in this years tourney, that the one and done approach is not paying off. UNC's team make-up this year is what it now takes to make it deep in the tourney and win it all.

The Duke hypocrisy of their mission statement in relationship to their men's basketball team approach is pathetic. I have zero issue with any college pursuing excellence in sports. Nor do I really care if they want to continue with the "one and done" approach. Just drop the holier than thou "higher education" mantra.

“To these ends, the mission of Duke University is to provide a superior liberal education to undergraduate students, attending not only to their intellectual growth but also to their development as adults committed to high ethical standards and full participation as leaders in their communities; to prepare future members of the learned professions for lives of skilled and ethical service by providing excellent graduate and professional education; to advance the frontiers of knowledge and contribute boldly to the international community of scholarship; to promote an intellectual environment built on a commitment to free and open inquiry; to help those who suffer, cure disease, and promote health, through sophisticated medical research and thoughtful patient care; to provide wide ranging educational opportunities, on and beyond our campuses, for traditional students, active professionals and life-long learners using the power of information technologies; and to promote a deep appreciation for the range of human difference and potential, a sense of the obligations and rewards of citizenship, and a commitment to learning, freedom and truth.

I'm not embarrassing myself. I don't gamble. You have your points and I have my points. We can agree to disagree. I played and coached football, baseball and basketball. And when I went to college, I also ran track. I'm both a former athlete and coach. You are welcome to disagree all you want. I realize that this is your style. You are entitled to your opinions, but that that doesn't mean that they are fact. Have you played or coached any varsity sport? Just asking, because many Monday morning quarterbacks can tell athletes what to do, but can not execute athletic plays or schemes. Stop embarrassing yourself. Aren't you the same said person that led the "Fire Hubert" rebellion? How did that work out for you? Just saying. LMAOasedYou have already

Do each of those 2022 recruits realize that if they don't have a NBA draftable type of season that the expectation is the either transfer or sit next to Joey Baker? What does someone like Keels, who has talent but didn't produce NBA draftable numbers, do when he has not one, but 2, 5* recruits lined up behind him at his position?

I have been saying this for a while. K never cared about the players.. claiming such was a joke. Look at last year's team for example.. I think Johnson was drafted but the rest were pretty much forced out. Several transferred and I think one is in G league.

Reactions: oreodogg18 and RP12
I really enjoyed watching Manek move without the ball. It reminded me of our Teams with Joe Wolf, Popson, Lynch etc… Leaky and others found him a lot especially near the end of the season. He just simply moved without the ball. I agree about Washington and the way Hubert can use his talents. Of course as you mentioned we will see what his knee can do and how much rust he has to shake off from being away from the game for a year and a half. I am excited about Trimble’s game. Man is that kid strong he’s shifty, fast and can jump out of the gym. He is fast but I think he has to improve on his quickness. I took my son and his friend to the Georgia Tech game in Chapel Hill. It was the first basketball game I’ve been to since we beat number one UCONN back in 2003 I believe. We sat mid court and about 20 rows up from the floor and I was so impressed by how Fast and quick RJ was, Leaky’s tenacious defense and Manek’s ability to just do the little things that end up being big things in which you can win or lose a game. I still don’t know about Nickel. I know his level of competition was not great but to be the all time leader in scoring in Virginia is amazing. I was surprised that he never moved up the rankings that much. I see a lot of things he had to work on but if anyone has further insight into his game please let me know. Thx
One other thing I didn't mention about Washington, really want folks to realize how long that kid is, he is 6'9" but has a 7'2" reach, that is John Henson level reach! Just let that marinate for a while! LOL

Trimble, I see the quickness but I see it as very interesting, it is quickness that does not look quick, only way I can describe it. He is so effortlessly smooth yet very deceptive, saw him do something that Naz Little did in one of his games with us. Little got the ball in the corner, made a fake, and literally blew by 2 defenders with a burst of other worldly quickness for a flush, it was the only play that sticks in my mind from Naz. Well I saw Trimble do the very same thing, it is a crazy explosion of quickness and strength with the ball, it was Ty Lawson like. Look at the legs on that kid, those thighs/calves are pumped, very powerful, that is where the explosion comes from. Folks should not think JP when they think of Trimble, JP had the athletism but the skill never really seemed to be what you expected, Trimble is right now more skilled than JP ever was as a Heel, my opinion but watch and see. While he can cover the point when RJ needs a breath, I see him as a fantastic 2 guard, I actually do see him as a upgrade to Caleb, has better handles and takes care of the ball. He does not jump shoot as well as the soph version of Caleb does but I see him as similar to Caleb as a freshman shooter, difference is Seth will not take as many of those crazy long heat checks (Hubert will have to curb his shot taking a bit) but he isn't going to drive the paint in to 3 defenders not looking to pass either.

Nichel, really do not understand why Nichel does not have more Tar Heel fans excited because to me he is a fantastic addition to this class. Now I agree, his level of competition was not great but JJ Jackson played in a private school league where the competition was even less and he turned out pretty darn good. The kid hits contested treys at 6'8" and a college ready body, he does not need to eat his way in to PT. The kid is a battler, as if everyone else plays basketball this kid is in a fight.

Nichel to me is Brady Manek/Luke Maye, not great athletes but darn good college players. Why is he just a 4 star, ask why Brady or Luke were not even 4 stars? It is because the rankings are for NBA projection and future upside to have a NBA career one day. The star system does not nor is it intended to reflect how good a kid may be in college ball. It is kids that do not have that NBA star hype that tend to stay around for all or most of their eligibility and do things like Luke did or Brady just did that frame great college teams. Nichel is the type of player we all say we want, a kid that is really good but not really a for sure NBA guy, but when we get a kid like that we seem to not be as thrilled as maybe we should be. I don't know if we see that his freshman season, I tend to think we will see it some, Brady had a pretty good freshman season at OU, I tend to think Nichel will have a freshman season akin more to that. But as a soph, I think we will start to see we got a heck of a player, Hubert says his only regret about Manek is that he does not get to coach him for 4yrs, well he may get his chance to in the form of Nichel.

One other thing I didn't mention about Washington, really want folks to realize how long that kid is, he is 6'9" but has a 7'2" reach, that is John Henson level reach! Just let that marinate for a while! LOL

Trimble, I see the quickness but I see it as very interesting, it is quickness that does not look quick, only way I can describe it. He is so effortlessly smooth yet very deceptive, saw him do something that Naz Little did in one of his games with us. Little got the ball in the corner, made a fake, and literally blew by 2 defenders with a burst of other worldly quickness for a flush, it was the only play that sticks in my mind from Naz. Well I saw Trimble do the very same thing, it is a crazy explosion of quickness and strength with the ball, it was Ty Lawson like. Look at the legs on that kid, those thighs/calves are pumped, very powerful, that is where the explosion comes from. Folks should not think JP when they think of Trimble, JP had the athletism but the skill never really seemed to be what you expected, Trimble is right now more skilled than JP ever was as a Heel, my opinion but watch and see. While he can cover the point when RJ needs a breath, I see him as a fantastic 2 guard, I actually do see him as a upgrade to Caleb, has better handles and takes care of the ball. He does not jump shoot as well as the soph version of Caleb does but I see him as similar to Caleb as a freshman shooter, difference is Seth will not take as many of those crazy long heat checks (Hubert will have to curb his shot taking a bit) but he isn't going to drive the paint in to 3 defenders not looking to pass either.

Nichel, really do not understand why Nichel does not have more Tar Heel fans excited because to me he is a fantastic addition to this class. Now I agree, his level of competition was not great but JJ Jackson played in a private school league where the competition was even less and he turned out pretty darn good. The kid hits contested treys at 6'8" and a college ready body, he does not need to eat his way in to PT. The kid is a battler, as if everyone else plays basketball this kid is in a fight.

Nichel to me is Brady Manek/Luke Maye, not great athletes but darn good college players. Why is he just a 4 star, ask why Brady or Luke were not even 4 stars? It is because the rankings are for NBA projection and future upside to have a NBA career one day. The star system does not nor is it intended to reflect how good a kid may be in college ball. It is kids that do not have that NBA star hype that tend to stay around for all or most of their eligibility and do things like Luke did or Brady just did that frame great college teams. Nichel is the type of player we all say we want, a kid that is really good but not really a for sure NBA guy, but when we get a kid like that we seem to not be as thrilled as maybe we should be. I don't know if we see that his freshman season, I tend to think we will see it some, Brady had a pretty good freshman season at OU, I tend to think Nichel will have a freshman season akin more to that. But as a soph, I think we will start to see we got a heck of a player, Hubert says his only regret about Manek is that he does not get to coach him for 4yrs, well he may get his chance to in the form of Nichel.
Great points. Trimble is very smooth as you stated. I also think it’s an overall upgrade to Caleb. Don’t get me wrong Caleb made some fantastic plays at times to say the least. He did take a lot of plays off defensively and in other moments of the game. I do not see Seth doing that. If Seth can settle in and impose his will onto teams then the sky is the limit for him. Even his dunks are so effortless at times. When JP left I thought overall our team was going to improve and it did in 2016. I’m not dogging the kid out but just stating my opinion. I guess we will have to see about Nickel because once again I agree he seems to have the size, strength, shooting ability and even athleticism to think he could be a Maye, Manek 2.0. I’m excited about Puff too as long as he can stay healthy. A long 6’8 player who is fundamentally sound and if he gets going can really shoot the ball

Great points. Trimble is very smooth as you stated. I also think it’s an overall upgrade to Caleb. Don’t get me wrong Caleb made some fantastic plays at times to say the least. He did take a lot of plays off defensively and in other moments of the game. I do not see Seth doing that. If Seth can settle in and impose his will onto teams then the sky is the limit for him. Even his dunks are so effortless at times. When JP left I thought overall our team was going to improve and it did in 2016. I’m not dogging the kid out but just stating my opinion. I guess we will have to see about Nickel because once again I agree he seems to have the size, strength, shooting ability and even athleticism to think he could be a Maye, Manek 2.0. I’m excited about Puff too as long as he can stay healthy. A long 6’8 player who is fundamentally sound and if he gets going can really shoot the ball
" I agree he seems to have the size, strength, shooting ability and even athleticism to think he could be a Maye, Manek 2.0".... I would add that he also has the attitude of those fellas!

Puff, I think being on the side lines so long that his confidence level sort of dipped. I think his play in this post season did wonders for him in that respect, you could see him being more and more assertive as his confidence grew.

" I agree he seems to have the size, strength, shooting ability and even athleticism to think he could be a Maye, Manek 2.0".... I would add that he also has the attitude of those fellas!

Puff, I think being on the side lines so long that his confidence level sort of dipped. I think his play in this post season did wonders for him in that respect, you could see him being more and more assertive as his confidence grew.
That is one thing that I really like about some of our recruits. Wilcher and Nickel play with a chip on their shoulder and have a lot of competitive fire. That confident type arrogance is infectious to a team. As long as it is displayed and backed up by their play. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. I hope GG decides soon. I know he said he would announce 3 or 4 days or even maybe a week after the Natty game.

That is one thing that I really like about some of our recruits. Wilcher and Nickel play with a chip on their shoulder and have a lot of competitive fire. That confident type arrogance is infectious to a team. As long as it is displayed and backed up by their play. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. I hope GG decides soon. I know he said he would announce 3 or 4 days or even maybe a week after the Natty game.
He is waiting until after spring break to announce.

Brady was a 4 star, and he was in his 5th full season, thanks to Covid.

Davis needs to get a '23 class that rivals the Felton/May/McCants class because if he doesn't they are looking at the gap widening into a chasm between UNC and Dook.
Did you miss the last two Carolina/ Dook games this year??? LOL We whipped their #1 classes butts!!!! BRING IT DOOK!

I love talent but I love a team that plays together and for each other more!

WTF??????????????????????????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT