ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

First, Ingram is not coming back, we need to move on from that notion. I am not aware of our having any contact with Osobor and outside of some early whispers not mush if any contact with Omier
Yes, we've been over this repeatedly. But we know so little, it doesn't hurt to point to good fits.

Maybe some day we'll get a report on who else Hubert is looking at. For now, it could be anyone or no one. So I see no harm in talking about the players we like.

I've posted videos on several others I think would be a good fit. But most were greeted with crickets.

Do you have any favorites?

Are the paid folks getting good info, or are they just whistling in the dark, too?

You make a good point that you would think Hubert, by the approach he has seemed to embrace would be more drawn to a step out and shoot stretch 5. But his actions defy that, last season he played Jalen only 8mins a game and Bacot huge minutes, So he had a stretch 5 that he didn't use and fixture in the paint that he did.
True that. But I took that to mean he had strong confidence in Armando and not so much confidence in Jalen. That doesn't mean he wouldn't like to move toward a much more stretchy offensive system - just that he didn't feel he had the right pieces for it.

Then again, when given a chance to pursue stretch-5s in the portal, did he do that? Were any of the guys we wanted stretch-5s? Not Ballo, certainly. Nor Omoruyi. So maybe he really isn't interested in revamping the offense that way.

Who started that rumor? :)

Reactions: KinstonNC
That’s a load of BS if I have ever heard it…This kid was looking the biggest payday…Has he ever watched Bama play…All they do is run and jack up 3s…They are dook 2.0…
The spread 3 point, layup, free throw type offensive teams look for that long rim protecter type for lobs on the drives or pick and rolls on offense. I think he envisions a Clint Capela type role that he had with the Rockets in that similar system.

I wish he would of chose UNC, but I do see the fit at Bama.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
What type of faces do you think InsideCarolina premium subscribers are making as they realize they paid money to have writers get their hopes up about Ballo, Bradshaw, Wolf, Aidoo, and Omoruyi?

Reactions: Bur-Heel
I'd be happy to have either of them.
Me too .. we really do need a true big man .. size wise. Wash can be serviceable, and a really good 5 against a lot of teams, but he just doesn't have the bulk/strength just yet to mix it up with bulky guys, and I'm one of his biggest fans.

What type of faces do you think InsideCarolina premium subscribers are making as they realize they paid money to have writers get their hopes up about Ballo, Bradshaw, Wolf, Aidoo, and Omoruyi?
Man you need to stop lying…You post on that board under a different name…I am on both boards and pay…Both Boards have been the same on reporting….I have seen your same post on both…

THI and IC are pretty much the same…IC just had about 3000 idiots…But they have good insiders…

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
Yes, we've been over this repeatedly. But we know so little, it doesn't hurt to point to good fits.

Maybe some day we'll get a report on who else Hubert is looking at. For now, it could be anyone or no one. So I see no harm in talking about the players we like.

I've posted videos on several others I think would be a good fit. But most were greeted with crickets.

Do you have any favorites?

Are the paid folks getting good info, or are they just whistling in the dark, too?
They whistling in the same dark... Heck, I have been asking all day multiple times for someone to share a link that showed Omouryi or any kid on a F-1 (student Visa) and crickets. Few folks over there don't like me at all, 2 in particular and the feeling is totally mutual. But from everywhere all I see is Omouryi took the biggest bag of $$$ he could get and ran with it. If that is what happened cool, al I am trying to find out is how and when this student visa issue went away, IN fact, I will add to this post a link to an article dated Jan 27, 2024 and the F-1 visa was then a problem for a guy like Omouryi but no one seems to be able to give me proof as in a link, to this going away?

Yeah as to my favorite at this point, I hope a phone call was made TODAY to Oyensi (the 7'1" 250-260lbs kid that was a freshman for Ky last season). He is raw but he is a defensive rim protector, gets a lot of blocks, played about 18mins a game for them, did not play when we played them this past season. He has from the crystal ball folks a 90% to Alabama but that was before bama got the Omouryi commit this morning. My second choice would maybe be Quniessence, high school recruit that was committed to Ky before Calipari left and decomitted right after, believe he is eligible for t5he coming season and because of his age, he would be in college at least 2 seasons, considered a 1 & done level talent. Note I am not adding Omier because there has been no movement that would indicate we are in any way involved with him. Osobor would be a great fit even being 6'8", he weighs around 250lbs and plays above the rim more than Bacot did, don't know that we have had any contact.

There is another name that has been tossed around that I don't think I should mention but it would be about as likely we got him as it would be for Ingram to come back and for the same reason we are not getting Ingram back. That is kind of where I am at right now, be interesting as to who Hubert contacts this coming week and how quickly he can get a visit.

They whistling in the same dark... Heck, I have been asking all day multiple times for someone to share a link that showed Omouryi or any kid on a F-1 (student Visa) and crickets. Few folks over there don't like me at all, 2 in particular and the feeling is totally mutual. But from everywhere all I see is Omouryi took the biggest bag of $$$ he could get and ran with it. If that is what happened cool, al I am trying to find out is how and when this student visa issue went away, IN fact, I will add to this post a link to an article dated Jan 27, 2024 and the F-1 visa was then a problem for a guy like Omouryi but no one seems to be able to give me proof as in a link, to this going away?

Yeah as to my favorite at this point, I hope a phone call was made TODAY to Oyensi (the 7'1" 250-260lbs kid that was a freshman for Ky last season). He is raw but he is a defensive rim protector, gets a lot of blocks, played about 18mins a game for them, did not play when we played them this past season. He has from the crystal ball folks a 90% to Alabama but that was before bama got the Omouryi commit this morning. My second choice would maybe be Quniessence, high school recruit that was committed to Ky before Calipari left and decomitted right after, believe he is eligible for t5he coming season and because of his age, he would be in college at least 2 seasons, considered a 1 & done level talent. Note I am not adding Omier because there has been no movement that would indicate we are in any way involved with him. Osobor would be a great fit even being 6'8", he weighs around 250lbs and plays above the rim more than Bacot did, don't know that we have had any contact.

There is another name that has been tossed around that I don't think I should mention but it would be about as likely we got him as it would be for Ingram to come back and for the same reason we are not getting Ingram back. That is kind of where I am at right now, be interesting as to who Hubert contacts this coming week and how quickly he can get a visit.

The vast majority of you wanted NIL and now you’ve got it. Be careful what you wish for. This chaos was inevitable and foreseeable for anyone with a modicum of common sense.
And yet again, I am not in the vast majority! I didn't want NIL, do not like at all what it has turned in to. Enjoy "college" basketball as long as you can because it is on the verge of becoming something very different.

I think you are about the see the NCAA implode, with the power programs splitting away from the NCAA. I think you will see in basketball for example, guys drafted to a NBA team but staying in the "college" game for 4yrs of eligibility, a sort of a minor league like set up where they would not be called up during a season. I think you will see the requirement to attend classes go away and players deemed employees of the team rather than students.

I think you will see the sports broadcast networks like ESPN & Fox sports jump onboard hard with that, handing out sweet broadcast rights deals. Players and coaches would be paid by revenue sharing and those drafted by NBA teams paid to them from the NBA team as well. I think you will see some version of a salary cap to contain the cost. I could even see one day their being some form of a draft for high school players and no more recruiting. You could see "college" teams actually trade players, in time the "college" teams would be owned by private individuals rather than the colleges, colleges would earn income for allowing the teams to play at their venues.

• Sad
Reactions: Archer2
The vast majority of you wanted NIL and now you’ve got it. Be careful what you wish for. This chaos was inevitable and foreseeable for anyone with a modicum of common sense.
Kansas, dook, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, and Baylor seem to be doing just fine. NC State has done pretty good. Wake Forest landed yet another former 5 star in the portal. Heck last spring we got Timberlake to visit, and we signed Ingram, Ryan, Withers, Wojcik. But now we can't even get most of our targets to visit. So what changed? How did we go from being a major player in the portal the previous couple seasons, to completely striking out this spring and being left with literally zero options for a UNC caliber starting center? Oh that's right, last September we hired a guy to run our NIL right after UK tossed him to the curb for being awful at running their NIL.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
And yet again, I am not in the vast majority! I didn't want NIL, do not like at all what it has turned in to. Enjoy "college" basketball as long as you can because it is on the verge of becoming something very different.

I think you are about the see the NCAA implode, with the power programs splitting away from the NCAA. I think you will see in basketball for example, guys drafted to a NBA team but staying in the "college" game for 4yrs of eligibility, a sort of a minor league like set up where they would not be called up during a season. I think you will see the requirement to attend classes go away and players deemed employees of the team rather than students.

I think you will see the sports broadcast networks like ESPN & Fox sports jump onboard hard with that, handing out sweet broadcast rights deals. Players and coaches would be paid by revenue sharing and those drafted by NBA teams paid to them from the NBA team as well. I think you will see some version of a salary cap to contain the cost. I could even see one day their being some form of a draft for high school players and no more recruiting. You could see "college" teams actually trade players, in time the "college" teams would be owned by private individuals rather than the colleges, colleges would earn income for allowing the teams to play at their venues.
Dav that verge was a few years ago.

Reactions: DSouthr
Kansas, dook, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, and Baylor seem to be doing just fine. NC State has done pretty good. Wake Forest landed yet another former 5 star in the portal. Heck last spring we got Timberlake to visit, and we signed Ingram, Ryan, Withers, Wojcik. But now we can't even get most of our targets to visit. So what changed? How did we go from being a major player in the portal the previous couple seasons, to completely striking out this spring and being left with literally zero options for a UNC caliber starting center? Oh that's right, last September we hired a guy to run our NIL right after UK tossed him to the curb for being awful at running their NIL.
That's an intriguing intimation, but I have no idea how true it might be.

What I do know is that last year we brought in 4 guys from the portal. The top 2 did great; the other 2 did OK.

All other things being equal, a blue blood team like UNC with clear starting positions on offer and that kind of portal success to point to, should have no trouble filling those positions from the top of the pool. At least that seems reasonable to me.

Which does seem to suggest that something else is going on. Does UNC not have the money to compete?

That's an intriguing intimation, but I have no idea how true it might be.

What I do know is that last year we brought in 4 guys from the portal. The top 2 did great; the other 2 did OK.

All other things being equal, a blue blood team like UNC with clear starting positions on offer and that kind of portal success to point to, should have no trouble filling those positions from the top of the pool. At least that seems reasonable to me.

Which does seem to suggest that something else is going on. Does UNC not have the money to compete?
Think of all the top portal targets Hubert brought in, regardless of how they actually played. Garcia, Manek, Nance, Ingram, Ryan, we got Timberlake to visit. We were navigating the portal and NIL just fine the previous 2 years in terms of getting visits and commits from top ranked portal players.

Now they won't even visit. This offseason has been a complete disaster in terms of front court portal recruiting. And the only thing that has really changed is the guy we hired last fall to run the NIL.

We need to settle for a good PF and call it a day. We need another body at the 4 or 5 position. We cant rely on High being our only backup big.. Anyone saying James Brown can play is already admitting defeat on the season..

No matter what this was a BIG TIME fail.. When you have Cadeau, RJ, Jackson, Powell, Trimble, and Tyson but have nothing good down low that is PROVEN, it's just sickening to think about. We had a chance to be the best team in the country by a long shot.

We need to settle for a good PF and call it a day. We need another body at the 4 or 5 position. We cant rely on High being our only backup big.. Anyone saying James Brown can play is already admitting defeat on the season..

No matter what this was a BIG TIME fail.. When you have Cadeau, RJ, Jackson, Powell, Trimble, and Tyson but have nothing good down low that is PROVEN, it's just sickening to think about. We had a chance to be the best team in the country by a long shot.
We have 3 open scholarships. We need to use all 3 on available big men, and hope that one of them turns out to be capable of helping us.

I don't think people realize just how difficult a time we're going to have defending opposing front courts next season. Not just Kansas, Bama, dook, and State. Fricking Wake Forest with Omaha Biliew and Efton Reid is going to dominate our bigs. Wake hasn't had a better front court than us in 20 years.

Reactions: TarHeelFanWV
I wouldn’t mind just adding another guy that can play the 2/3 spot with some size and can shoot…Let the 4 of Brown,Washington,Withers, and High man the 4 and 5 spot…
On the assumption that at least one of Ian and Drake are ready to go, I don't see the need for a 2/3.

A 4/3 or even a 3/4 might be welcome, though, especially if they are rugged players like Ingram.

In the latest video on TOS it was suggested that UNC focus may shift from finding a top center who can start and play 30+ minutes, to finding someone who can platoon with Washington.

It might be sensible to look at the 4 the same way: get someone who can platoon with Withers.

There are a bunch of guys who might fit those roles and fit them well. But will they come? I imagine most of them are looking for starter minutes.

I'm not thrilled with Cade moving to the 4. He can probably do it, but is that a good use for him? Ingram carried 20 more pounds of muscle.

I'm also not thrilled with Ian at SF, as some have suggested, but you have to give him PT somewhere. Drake is a tad bigger and might be a better fit at SF.

I am a little worried that we are getting smaller.

I feel good about what we have right now, but I would definitely welcome someone who can spell JWash at 5 and slide in a 4 when needed. Hopefully, we get in good with the second Big O!

In the latest video on TOS it was suggested that UNC focus may shift from finding a top center who can start and play 30+ minutes, to finding someone who can platoon with Washington.
They are just stating the obvious because there are no top centers left.

I'll give them credit, IC knows how to scam fans out of their money. Look at all the people that pay for premium just to get their hopes up on transfer players who don't even bother visiting us. Then they put out an emergency coast to coast video for free where they sit around and state the obvious.

Here's a list of the remaining top 100 (+2 more) guys in the portal (On3 rankings) who are listed as C, PF or SF and are at least 6'6.

Why the 6'6 cutoff? Because we were (still are?) interested in Thiero, and he's 6'6.

Yes, the highest-rated remaining center is only #120. I still think he is worth a look. But the next one is #210. How low are we willing to go?

For comparison, Cormac was listed at 100 last year, and Paxson at 184. They worked out well for us.

06 SF Jamir Watkins RS-JR 6-7 200
14 PF Great Osobor JR 6-8 250
17 PF Coleman Hawkins SR 6-10 195
23 SF Jaylen Wells JR 6-8 205
25 PF JT Toppin FR 6-7 205
32 PF Achor Achor SO 6-9 227
41 SF Cedric Coward JR 6-6 206
42 SF Dillon Mitchell SO 6-7 180
53 PF Trevon Brazile RS-SO 6-7 180
63 SF Anthony Dell'Orso SO 6-6 190
65 SF Trazarien White JR 6-7 190
72 SF Kasean Pryor JR 6-8 210
84 SF Ven-Allen Lubin SO 6-8 226
88 PF Arthur Kaluma JR 6-8 225
91 SF Chris Ledlum SR 6-6 225
101 SF Adou Thiero SO 6-6 200
120 C Ugonna Onyenso SO 6-11 225

Last edited:
Here's a list of the remaining top 100 (+2 more) guys in the portal (On3 rankings) who are listed as C, PF or SF and are at least 6'6.

Why the 6'6 cutoff? Because we were (still are?) interested in Thiero, and he's 6'6.

Yes, the highest-rated remaining center is only #120. I still think he is worth a look. But the next one is #210. How low are we willing to go?

For comparison, Cormac was listed at 100 last year, and Paxson at 184. They worked out well for us.

06 SF Jamir Watkins RS-JR 6-7 200
14 PF Great Osobor JR 6-8 250
17 PF Coleman Hawkins SR 6-10 195
23 SF Jaylen Wells JR 6-8 205
25 PF JT Toppin FR 6-7 205
32 PF Achor Achor SO 6-9 227
41 SF Cedric Coward JR 6-6 206
42 SF Dillon Mitchell SO 6-7 180
53 PF Trevon Brazile RS-SO 6-7 180
63 SF Anthony Dell'Orso SO 6-6 190
65 SF Trazarien White JR 6-7 190
72 Kasean Pryor JR 6-8 210
84 SF Ven-Allen Lubin SO 6-8 226
88 PF Arthur Kaluma JR 6-8 225
91 SF Chris Ledlum SR 6-6 225
101 SF Adou Thiero SO 6-6 200
120 C Ugonna Onyenso SO 6-11 225
Thiero is 6'8".

Never trust On3 for accurate player info. A lot of the heights and weights in that list are wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT