ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Who we going after? I think the biggest need is at center, at the very least to pair with Washington. We probably need a shooter too; even if both Davis and Ingram are back, we're losing Ryan without an adequate shooting replacement.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Just watched some video on Michael Ajayi out of Pepperdine. Might be a suitable replacement for Cormac Ryan or IF Ingram decides to leave for the NBA. Good size and decent percentages.

Who we going after? I think the biggest need is at center, at the very least to pair with Washington. We probably need a shooter too; even if both Davis and Ingram are back, we're losing Ryan without an adequate shooting replacement.
Wouldn't shock me if Ian Jackson was capable of shooting 34% from 3 (Cormac's current % this season.)

Yeah we gotta find a physical center who can defend strong/fat centers. Bc Washington is definitely not that guy.

• Haha
Reactions: Heelicious
I'm genuinely skeptical of all transfers coming out of midmajor schools.

For every Dalton Knecht success story there are a hundred Christian Keelings and Justin Pierces and Paxon Wojciks.

Reactions: Heelicious
I'm genuinely skeptical of all transfers coming out of midmajor schools.

For every Dalton Knecht success story there are a hundred Christian Keelings and Justin Pierces and Paxon Wojciks.
If we continue losing guys every year for a lack of playing time we will end up with more Pierce and Keeling.
And if the starting guards/wings are playing 32+ minutes what do you expect to get via the portal?

If we continue losing guys every year for a lack of playing time we will end up with more Pierce and Keeling.
And if the starting guards/wings are playing 32+ minutes what do you expect to get via the portal?
We lost 7 guys to the portal last summer, and only got one Pierce/Keeling midmajor type player added (Wojcik.) I don't see any evidence that our staff is looking at more Pierce/Keeling midmajor types. In fact we know they passed on Nick Timberlake from Towson, which turned out to be the right call despite all the internet hype, as he's only getting 14 mins per game off the bench on a KU team that has no depth.

Our starting PG averaged 24 minutes per game. Our starting SF averages 30 mins. Our starting PF averages 32 mins. Our starting Center averages 30 minutes.

Players that can help major programs that fit the areas of need can be found anywhere. Be skeptical all ya want but to take a position that you will not look to add a player just because he played for a lesser program is DUMB (that is aimed at the poster you were replying to and not you FTH)!

FTH, I want a mix, I think in the way the game is now you have to use the portal to fill immediate need yet build your base with retained high school recruits. That means you want to hold on to players like Jalen, High, and Seth but if they are not yet ready you have to use the portal for guys that are. You know, that same poster that your reply was to FTH, does not seem to realize the value of any player that is not on the cusp of being NBA drafted right now today. Never mind the fact that our 2 prime players on our squad right now were recruited and signed to UNC out of high school, one in his 4th season and the other in his 5th season with us. That poster has spent this whole season harping on Jalen, expecting he play like a 5th year senior rather than realizing or even caring that Jalen is a kid that is developing and needs minutes to develop with.

What I like about this, even with tourneys still to be played, is if a player is officially in the portal, THEY can be proactive and start communication with other coaches and their staffs; get their name out there; not only make a LinkedIn profile (so to speak) but to hone-in where they want to work and tell their "dream job" that they want an interview.

Last edited:
Players that can help major programs that fit the areas of need can be found anywhere. Be skeptical all ya want but to take a position that you will not look to add a player just because he played for a lesser program is DUMB (that is aimed at the poster you were replying to and not you FTH)!

FTH, I want a mix, I think in the way the game is now you have to use the portal to fill immediate need yet build your base with retained high school recruits. That means you want to hold on to players like Jalen, High, and Seth but if they are not yet ready you have to use the portal for guys that are. You know, that same poster that your reply was to FTH, does not seem to realize the value of any player that is not on the cusp of being NBA drafted right now today. Never mind the fact that our 2 prime players on our squad right now were recruited and signed to UNC out of high school, one in his 4th season and the other in his 5th season with us.
I'm as old school as you will find when it comes to the "Carolina Way", and the reason I feel you are one of the best posters on this site is that you have some of those same values.
It's obvious the new and younger ilk around here don't want to always hear that, but so be it.
It's the reason I started that thread "Fifty-Two Seconds" keeping track of Caleb Love and the guys we lost from the '23 roster. It truly hurt my heart losing all those guys and it still hurts despite the very good season we have had.
Player development was always big under DES and RW. I thought it would also be a big part of the program under HD. That looks like a pipe dream right now. This coming off-season will tell us where this program is headed under his leadership.
If we lose Jalen, Seth, Zayden and possibly Withers, the Carolina Way no longer exist in my opinion.

I'm as old school as you will find when it comes to the "Carolina Way", and the reason I feel you are one of the best posters on this site is that you have some of those same values.
It's obvious the new and younger ilk around here don't want to always hear that, but so be it.
It's the reason I started that thread "Fifty-Two Seconds" keeping track of Caleb Love and the guys we lost from the '23 roster. It truly hurt my heart losing all those guys and it still hurts despite the very good season we have had.
Player development was always big under DES and RW. I thought it would also be a big part of the program under HD. That looks like a pipe dream right now. This coming off-season will tell us where this program is headed under his leadership.
If we lose Jalen, Seth, Zayden and possibly Withers, the Carolina Way no longer exist in my opinion.

I agree but in all fairness no one is developing players right now it to easy to just go shopping in the portal and get what you need.

Man I agree but it’s hard to believe that it’s all HDs fault. I think if Roy and Dean had the crap of paying players what they think they need to earn or what they think they are worth they would have struggled too. Dang Roy retired because of all the changes. I still believe he had several years left. It sucks not to have players that want to stay and develop. Totally diff games now unfortunately.

Carolina Way is alive and well and Hubs is the perfect example of it! The belief that UNC should do things the right way and treat each other like Family does NOT depend on outside forces or need approval from extrinsic sources! These days, doing the right thing by your players includes advising them when UNC might not be the best place for them as well as developing those who can thrive in our system! I would rather support a coach who is honest than one like ratty who promises all players they can start at the 3! Peeps leaving at the end of the season may happen, but it will NOT be a referendum on UNC or Hubs; rather it will be indicative of the times we live in! Adapt or go the way of the dinosaur! I agree that the youngsters on here might never truly understand the difference between us and all others, but that is OK too for they are free to jump right back off the bandwagon! UNC will win with you or without you!

The Stanford pipeline continues? Perhaps Ingram can help if the guy is still out there after the season. Perhaps fired coach Jerod Haase chips in considering he was a former coach for Roy. Perfect replacement for Bacot?

Definitely not a perfect replacement for Bacot. Bacot has the strength to bang with most bigs and hold defensive position against most strong centers. Raynaud is skilled but very weak. He's not a shotblocker despite his height. He's not going to outmuscle a crowd for rebounds like Bacot does. And if you thought Burns backing down Bacot was hard to stomach, Raynaud will get backed down by 75% of the bigs we play against.

Honestly, Raynaud may fit the style Hubert wants as a perimeter based face-up 5. It's why he recruited guys like Will Shaver and Jalen Washington. But look at all our modern Final Four teams. We had either a strong center or a shot blocking center. And I firmly believe we will need someone like that to have a good team next year.

Reactions: tarwhiz
The Stanford pipeline continues? Perhaps Ingram can help if the guy is still out there after the season. Perhaps fired coach Jerod Haase chips in considering he was a former coach for Roy. Perfect replacement for Bacot?

I think we get him, possibly the final contribution Harrison makes before leaving (I really want him to return but doubt it). And the the idea that Stanford will be in ACC makes it a bit more interesting.

On the one hand we should look very attractive to guys in the portal:

--Blue blood team
--Good history of incoming transfers getting minutes, improving and showcasing
--NIL opportunities

But there are some downsides, too:

--Iron man tendencies
--Uncertainties

By "uncertainties," I mean it will be a while (I hope) before we know who's leaving and who's staying.

Last year, Hubert cleared the decks early. That not only let him power into the portal ahead of many of his peers, but it also made it clear to incomers what positions and PT were likely to be available to them.

We know for sure that Armando, Cormac and Paxson will be gone. Two starters and a reliable bencher. We don't know for sure if we need starter-caliber players to replace the starters. It would be nice to get starters, of course, but we do have 2 high-ranked freshmen coming in, plus some presumed returners who might achieve starter status next season. We don't want another Wilcher episode - where we lose a talented frosh because of people we bring in for a year. True, Wilcher apparently wasn't ready, but we won't have him next year, or the year after, either. We don't want Ian or Drake to go that way.

We lost Wilcher bc we brought in Cadeau. It seems unlikely we'll only have Cadeau "for a year." And frankly Wilcher hasn't been "a talented frosh" either.
Pretty much everybody thought Cadeau would be OAD. Nearly as many thought Wilcher would be a star. The fact that neither of them lived up to the hype in year one doesn't change what I said.

Which is not so much a knock on them but on the expectations machine.

Pretty much everybody thought Cadeau would be OAD. Nearly as many thought Wilcher would be a star. The fact that neither of them lived up to the hype in year one doesn't change what I said.

Which is not so much a knock on them but on the expectations machine.
Wilcher was steadily dropping down the rankings the entire 2 years he was committed to UNC. I think he ended up around #50 over on 247. I'm not sure anyone expected Wilcher to be a star, at least not early in his college career.

I also don't think many expected Cadeau to be one-and-done once he reclassified. His shooting ability needed too much work.

It feels like your post was written in 2022. Yes back in 2022 people probably thought Sim could be a freshman star, and that class of 2024 guard Elliot Cadeau would be one-and-done. But neither was true in the summer of 2023 when we lost 4 star Wilcher bc Cadeau reclassified.

Reactions: thompsjj
UNC basketball

Have you seriously never seen fans use the word "We" when discussing their favorite teams?
So then, for clarity sake you are merely A fan, as you put it. Futhermore, you are not affiliated with UNC on any other level in any way, shape or form then I presume. So, the "We" statement is not actually you being formally connected with UNC then...

Last edited:
Who?

6 of their freshmen are legit NBA draft prospects. Reeves and Mitchell both just finished their 5th seasons.

I'm not sure who they have left on the roster.
Was just saying. I honestly don’t keep up with the makeup of their team. Could care less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT