ADVERTISEMENT

2025 NBA Draft

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I just glanced at 5 way-too-early mock drafts.

Drake Powell is a lottery pick on 3 of them (highest = #2); Ian Jackson is a lottery pick on 2 of them (highest = #8).

Cadeau's top ranking = #17.

Yeah, pretty worthless this soon; but not too shabby. And it's summer....

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
That happens and we are cutting down nets in April

I’d like to think that also but that doesn’t always equate. If it did, dook & Kensucky would have a lot more banners than just preseason #1 & top recruiting class.

I would also be disappointed that we’d only get 1 year of Drake Powell in that scenario, but if we cut nets, I’d take 1 year of everybody & start over.

Ian Jackson is top 10 IMHO. EC has got to be able to hit wide open shots, and I see him being top 15. Powell has serious competition as a big man (other countries are producing forwards that can shoot).

As someone mentioned these rankings are high on UNC and Puke players.

Ian Jackson reminds me of Rob Dillagham (?) from Kentucky last year. NBA doesn't pass on natural scorers so I think he goes top 10.

I just glanced at 5 way-too-early mock drafts.

Drake Powell is a lottery pick on 3 of them (highest = #2); Ian Jackson is a lottery pick on 2 of them (highest = #8).

Cadeau's top ranking = #17.

Yeah, pretty worthless this soon; but not too shabby. And it's summer....
Great to hear from the perspective of wanting to see more Tar Heels in the NBA.

Worrisome from the perspective of looking at our 2025 recruiting, where we are highly unlikely to land the type of talent needed to replace Davis, Cadeau, Jackson, and Powell.

The practices at UNC will be intense and that level of iron will sharpen our players. My optimistic take on this is we are very blessed to have a coach who seems able to manage the egos that go with the obvious talent on our team! Putting peeps of this level together shows Hubs mastery at recruiting talent that will fit together! Contrast that with puke who simply tries to get talent and hopes they will somehow fit! Amazingly enough, we might have a potential top 15 pick come off the bench at least to start the season! Should be a fun season and a wild ride!

Drake Powell a lotto guy in the 2025 draft? Ian, yeah, I can see that, not sure I agree with it but I can see it. I just don't see Drake as able to get the minutes he would need. I have learned about under estimating Drake, kid went from a player that I was not excited about to a kid that may have more upside than Ian, not sure he is as ready now as Ian. Drake has had a near Jordan like dramatic rise in the eyes of scouts. STOP RIGHT THERE, I did not just say Drake was the next Jordan, I simply spoke to how strong he has risen in the eyes of basketball scouts. Recall that Buzz Peterson was the NC POY his last season in high school and Jordan was in his class. Jordan separated in his senior season in high school and summer play, Drake did that to.

I expect to see Drake as a soph play for us, I do not expect the see Ian play college ball as a soph (thou I do think he should) unless he gets hurt. I actually do think Drake has more LONG TERM POTENTIAL that should show itself clearly as a soph with more minutes.

Reactions: RHFD and TPFKAPFS
The practices at UNC will be intense and that level of iron will sharpen our players. My optimistic take on this is we are very blessed to have a coach who seems able to manage the egos that go with the obvious talent on our team! Putting peeps of this level together shows Hubs mastery at recruiting talent that will fit together! Contrast that with puke who simply tries to get talent and hopes they will somehow fit! Amazingly enough, we might have a potential top 15 pick come off the bench at least to start the season! Should be a fun season and a wild ride!
This may piss off some folks but understand what I am about to say is extremely nuanced, it isn't as bad as it likely will be taken. I see a LOT of folks excited about our coming team for this season while I am honestly right now really concerned, much more so than I was going in to last season. The construction of this team is to me a team that Kelvin or Danny Hurley could develop in to being a final 4 level team, I am not really ready to see this as a team Hubert will be able to develop to that level. OK, chill for a minute, Hubert is just now going in to his 4th season EVER as a head coach. I am not saying Hubert can't, saying I am not expecting it like others seem ready to.

You know what they used to say about both Dean and Roy don't ya, that they could beat you with their team, turn around and trade teams and beat you with your own players. By the time that was said of Dean and Roy they were very seasoned and successful, very solid in their own systems and approach to both ends. But don't forget, Dean was nearly run out of town before his 4th season as head coach, the dukies were ready to lynch K, even great coaches have to develop. I am not ready to say Hubert has yet defined HIS system yet, he is still tinkering and we should all EXPECT THAT! If he lasts, I think he will, he will develop his own system, his own approach and only then wil we really know what he may become.

This may piss off some folks but understand what I am about to say is extremely nuanced, it isn't as bad as it likely will be taken. I see a LOT of folks excited about our coming team for this season while I am honestly right now really concerned, much more so than I was going in to last season. The construction of this team is to me a team that Kelvin or Danny Hurley could develop in to being a final 4 level team, I am not really ready to see this as a team Hubert will be able to develop to that level. OK, chill for a minute, Hubert is just now going in to his 4th season EVER as a head coach. I am not saying Hubert can't, saying I am not expecting it like others seem ready to.
I totally agree with this. Coach Davis has shown he can coach when he has the parts that fit the style he wants to play. When he is lacking those parts .... UNC has struggled. The biggest difference between those teams and this is that he has a natural pg, and I think in today's game that forcing tempo and giving yourself those extra possessions can more than offset a suspect post game.

I totally agree with this. Coach Davis has shown he can coach when he has the parts that fit the style he wants to play. When he is lacking those parts .... UNC has struggled. The biggest difference between those teams and this is that he has a natural pg, and I think in today's game that forcing tempo and giving yourself those extra possessions can more than offset a suspect post game.
There is as well another aspect of coaching that is not as talked about but is extremely important. Some coaches, even some that are thought to be top shelf coaches, the poster child for me is Calipari, win a LOT of games but for them to do so they have to have the clear talented advantage. Then that big time talent moves on to the NBA after a season in college and becomes a star at the next level and that college program that he spent little more than a cup of coffee at get praised for "developing" college players in to NBA stars? LOL Like in some way there is a college coach in the country that would not have seen Anthony Davis be lotto after a single season, Zion, Bagley, Booker, on and on.

Unfortunately, how good a coach is defined by wins and losses, no matter that they may have had to have a HUGE advantage in talent to get those wins, they are not coaching teams, they are babysitting star talents. People look at Roy's career that lead to him being in the HOF, asked what his best seasons as a coach were, most would point to a natty season, not me. I look at Bacot's freshman season, I look at John Henson's freshman season, I saw the best coaching from Roy I saw in his career, WHY? Because in those 2 seasons our team was wrecked by injury, we set brand new records in BOTH of those seasons, actually blew the old records away for games missed for injury. Roy literally had no idea who would be available until just before tip off. Not only did we have multiple starters out with season ending injuries but we had basically the whole team that was walking wounded. Roy found a way to keep us competitive, we missed the NCAAT with both those teams but they fought their collective butts off.

Powell seems to have really opened the eyes of NBA GM's with the quintessential wing size, long wing span, athleticism, young, and motor on dee. The league feels they can do wonders developing shooting, which Powell shows promise with, but that is the lagging part to his ideal 3 and D profile.

I do not think he has to have a necessarily big year as a freshman to get a high enough spot to be one and done. Patrick Williams didn't start, only played about 20 minutes a game and averaged 9 points and 4 boards for Florida State as a freshman and was picked high lottery, 3rd or 4th overall I think. He had the profile, length, and youth. If they see the attributes in Powell the league will pay to develop the burgeoning offensive skill set in thier system. It will be interesting to see his stock at the end of the year, regardless of the numbers he puts up as a frosh.

Hopefully he'll continue garnering the serious accolades all the way through the season! His growth could well be the X factor this team needs! A OAD explosion on his.part would also help in long term recruiting! Everybody wins if he blows up!

What are the parts he likes and wants? No one seems to be able to plainly state that. So if we don't really know what type of players and style Hubert wants to run, how do we know this coming season's team will or won't be in that style?

What are the parts he likes and wants? No one seems to be able to plainly state that. So if we don't really know what type of players and style Hubert wants to run, how do we know this coming season's team will or won't be in that style?
I think one thing he likes, not saying I agree or disagree, is to have a backcourt with two guards capable of running the point on any given possession. I think EC might become a clear point dawg, and demand a more traditional 2 guard approach, but Hubert has commented consistently that he likes the idea of a backcourt with "2 point guards" capable guys.

I think one thing he likes, not saying I agree or disagree, is to have a backcourt with two guards capable of running the point on any given possession. I think EC might become a clear point dawg, and demand a more traditional 2 guard approach, but Hubert has commented consistently that he likes the idea of a backcourt with "2 point guards" capable guys.
The 2 PG approach that Roy always wanted, was intriguing but for me there has always been that old saying in football, if you go into the season with 2 QBs then you really don't have a clear starting QB. I consider the PG to be the head of the snake, the guy that is the extension of the coach on the floor, he owns the keys to the sports car as we say. Last season, yet again this season, our floor leader is a parttime PG and our starting 2, strikes me as a bit out of kilter?

Reactions: thompsjj
Slinger, I think before we can discuss what type of players Hubert is looking for to fit his approach that Hubert would first need to have his approach well defined, so far there have been way to many changes in his approach for it to be well defined on either end, I do think he is moving to that point however. Right now it seems like he is struggling to force fit guys into roles he wants them to play rather than play more to their natural strengths. Want some examples, 1) Nance as a camping outside the 3pt arch shooter rather than being the center he should have been. 2) Trying to turn Jalen into a version of Bacot, did you notice the later part of the season that Jalen's jumper seemed MIA 3) Putting guys like Leaky and Cadeau in positions were they have to jump shoot treys, a clear weakness for both. Just 3 examples off the top, there are more. The next level of execution for Huibert will be to realize that you MUST put guys in position to be able to work to the strength of their game rather than force fit them it has to be a natural fit.

I do think we can now clearly see "some" of the prototypes that Hubert wants, the most glaring example is a 4 that can step out past the 3pt arch and drop shots. But I also think it is clear he needs a 2 guard that is a big time shooter, as opposed for example Kenny Williams. Hubert has hammered the wing position with high school talent and portal, seems he wants a big time scorer, read that as not just jump shooter but 3 level guy at the wing.

For the center spot, Hubert had Bacot his whole head coaching career, I think he wants a Bacot that can also jump shoot, good luck getting that, the Reibe kid that we are recruiting is close to that, he happens to be my #1 want for our 5 spot, have shared that before. Kid has a nice frame that can add even more muscle but has a body to play right now. I think braun is under appreciated, there were longer centers than Bacot but his big frame was hard for other teams to handle. And PG, hard to tell honestly, Hubert has had RJ and Cadeau for his head coaching career (he inherited RJ and he chose Cadeau), 2 VERY different types of PGs, one a scorer and the other a jet quick big time assist guy so it isn't clear what Hubert's prototype is for a PG. I hope it becomes a PG that has a size advantage for the position, more on the like of Kendal but no combo guards as our PG please. If not the size advantage at the point then fine to get those cat quicksters that can jump shoot at least some.

Dtodd, some things look GREAT on paper but just don't play out as expected. The duo PG idea is intriguing, was when Roy expressed how much he wanted it. We have now 2 examples of Hubert trying to what I consider "force fit" a duo PG role on his starting 1 and 2, RJ and Caleb and RJ and Cadeau. I would suggest it has not worked nearly as well as it looked on paper. The reason Roy always wanted to have a duo PG line up but didn't show it really until Caleb and RJ is that he just never had a pair he felt could pull that off, I don't think they had the right chemistry to be able to pull it off. Personally, I feel like the PG and the shooting guard spots are very different and require very different types of talents, similar talents tend to step on each other's game.

Can Drake Powell play SG?

Unlikely to happen considering who's ahead of him on the roster at that position, but I'm just curious if he'd be good at that position.

Can Drake Powell play SG?

Unlikely to happen considering who's ahead of him on the roster at that position, but I'm just curious if he'd be good at that position.
Not only do I think Drake can play the 2, it may be his best position, I think it is absolutely his NBA future position. I do think for now Jack is a bit ahead of him from a shooting/scoring aspect, Drake is not a shoot first guy, he is looking for the great pass to a more open teammate and he is a excellent passing guard, way under appreciated in that consideration. 7ft reach on a 6'6" kid, really long, so was Caleb but Drake isn't ball dominant, Jack is I think to an extent. The ball just finds Drake, recall how the ball used to just seem to find guys like Ingram, Theo? I see Drake as a kid that just effects the game over all when he steps on the court, he doesn't fade in to the back ground. He creates chaos for the opponents to have to deal with, if his jump shooting gets consistent he is a true 3 level scorer as well as a lock down defender, heck of a combination. Don't be shocked if he finds his way into the starting line up before the coming season is over.

Of course RJ starts at the 2 and most feel Jack or Seth are his back ups at the 2, I think that means Drake may be Tyson's primary back up at the 3. Just my opinion...

Not only do I think Drake can play the 2, it may be his best position, I think it is absolutely his NBA future position. I do think for now Jack is a bit ahead of him from a shooting/scoring aspect, Drake is not a shoot first guy, he is looking for the great pass to a more open teammate and he is a excellent passing guard, way under appreciated in that consideration. 7ft reach on a 6'6" kid, really long, so was Caleb but Drake isn't ball dominant, Jack is I think to an extent. The ball just finds Drake, recall how the ball used to just seem to find guys like Ingram, Theo? I see Drake as a kid that just effects the game over all when he steps on the court, he doesn't fade in to the back ground. He creates chaos for the opponents to have to deal with, if his jump shooting gets consistent he is a true 3 level scorer as well as a lock down defender, heck of a combination. Don't be shocked if he finds his way into the starting line up before the coming season is over.

Of course RJ starts at the 2 and most feel Jack or Seth are his back ups at the 2, I think that means Drake may be Tyson's primary back up at the 3. Just my opinion...
Dav did you see all that from his hs play? I just didn’t see it during our few scrimmages. I don’t doubt the talent, just seems a little high for what he’s done.

Dav did you see all that from his hs play? I just didn’t see it during our few scrimmages. I don’t doubt the talent, just seems a little high for what he’s done.
Some of my thoughts are based off of BOTH what he did, specifically in his last season of eligibility in high school as well as summer ball. His progression from Jr to Sr seasons was to me really eye opening, I went from not being excited at all frankly to oh man, this kid is special, maybe even more so than Jack. Yes, some based off the scrimmages we all saw, more confirming than anything else for me but I put that together with what some of the "experts" are now saying, many are now calling for him to start at the 3 out right.

I look at a thing like those scrimmages a bit different, at least I feel like I do, than most. I look at guys like Drake and Jack and I am not as concerned with how much did they score, I look more to how they move, do I see a skill that is ACC level right now, does the ball find him or does he blend in to the back ground. Does he seem able to score as a catch and shoot guy, can he create his own shot, how does his handle look, is he crafty with his ball handles, are his passes purposeful or is he bailing out with his passing. Does he create havoc with his defense, can he rebound and lead the break, does he make good decisions. I saw glimpses of all the above, especially in that second scrimmage.

Do I need to see more, for sure I do, I trust my own eyes over anyone else's but when I see a glimpse from a kid yet to go thru his first college practice, then the ability is there, it just has to be nurtured.

Some of my thoughts are based off of BOTH what he did, specifically in his last season of eligibility in high school as well as summer ball. His progression from Jr to Sr seasons was to me really eye opening, I went from not being excited at all frankly to oh man, this kid is special, maybe even more so than Jack. Yes, some based off the scrimmages we all saw, more confirming than anything else for me but I put that together with what some of the "experts" are now saying, many are now calling for him to start at the 3 out right.

I look at a thing like those scrimmages a bit different, at least I feel like I do, than most. I look at guys like Drake and Jack and I am not as concerned with how much did they score, I look more to how they move, do I see a skill that is ACC level right now, does the ball find him or does he blend in to the back ground. Does he seem able to score as a catch and shoot guy, can he create his own shot, how does his handle look, is he crafty with his ball handles, are his passes purposeful or is he bailing out with his passing. Does he create havoc with his defense, can he rebound and lead the break, does he make good decisions. I saw glimpses of all the above, especially in that second scrimmage.

Do I need to see more, for sure I do, I trust my own eyes over anyone else's but when I see a glimpse from a kid yet to go thru his first college practice, then the ability is there, it just has to be nurtured.
Man I hope so. He’d definitely add more depth no matter if he starts or not. Thanks

2025 NBA draft hot take!

If the coming season goes like most UNC fans think (I am not totally in that group) then the first UNC player taken in the next draft is Jalen Washington! Now after you stop laughing, hear me out... WE are talking about a 6'10" guy, should weight in a touch shy of 240 this season, was listed at 230lbs last season. 7'4-5" reach. Has shown us a really sweet shooting stroke from deep and his defense picked up as the season went deep, should be much improved in that aspect this coming season. His minutes should go from 8 this past season to 25mins or more for the coming season, as a defender he should at very least be decent and could be above average. That is kind of the prototype of that the NBA is looking for, centers that can jump shoot from deep and hold their own on the other end. He has to show durability and do a better job of picking when to foul and when not to, and better lateral movement. But if he shows those things he goes off the board before Jack or Drake or any other Tar Heel player.

2025 NBA draft hot take!

If the coming season goes like most UNC fans think (I am not totally in that group) then the first UNC player taken in the next draft is Jalen Washington! Now after you stop laughing, hear me out... WE are talking about a 6'10" guy, should weight in a touch shy of 240 this season, was listed at 230lbs last season. 7'4-5" reach. Has shown us a really sweet shooting stroke from deep and his defense picked up as the season went deep, should be much improved in that aspect this coming season. His minutes should go from 8 this past season to 25mins or more for the coming season, as a defender he should at very least be decent and could be above average. That is kind of the prototype of that the NBA is looking for, centers that can jump shoot from deep and hold their own on the other end. He has to show durability and do a better job of picking when to foul and when not to, and better lateral movement. But if he shows those things he goes off the board before Jack or Drake or any other Tar Heel player.

i love JWash but he’s not going above Ian or Drake in any draft…no matter how much he improves/stays healthy

Reactions: DaveChapelle
i love JWash but he’s not going above Ian or Drake in any draft…no matter how much he improves/stays healthy
We play Kansas - at Kansas - on Nov 8.

How well Jalen does against Hunter Dickinson (7'2 260) will tell us something. Assuming Hubert has enough confidence in Jalen to let him go toe to toe with Hunter.

If Jalen does well, that will be very encouraging. OTOH if he has trouble with Hunter, that may not mean too much, since there aren't that many Hunters out there.

OK, then tell me why? I have offered the NBA protype big man that the NBA seems all about, he hits the metrics.

Ian, Drake, and JWash will all get the chance to make their cases to the NBA! I hope all three showout and go 1-3 in the lottery!

Not 2025 nba draft but found it amusing. So Bronny can’t call Lebron dad while “at work” which is understandable but he can call he GOAT. Now if that isn’t just typical Lebron style as well as a lie. Such a tool not the word I wanna use.

Last edited:
I do agree that LeBron is not the GOAT, but he did say that after saying he could call him 23 or Bron. He also said it with a chuckle so it sounded like a joke to me. He definitely inspires strong emotions on either side though!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT