A Closer Look at Best Available Big Men in the Portal

What are we looking for in a big man?

Armando finished this season:

PPG = 14.5
RBS = 10.3
BLK = 1.5
TS% = 60.1

He's going to be tough to replace.

Syracuse just landed Eddie Lampkin from Colorado, considered a "huge acquisition" by On3, but his numbers, while good, can't touch Armando's:

PPG = 10.6
RBS = 7.0
BLK = 0.1
TS% = 59.1

Hunter Dickinson would be a much closer match, but he isn't in the portal.

Maxime Raynaud stacks up quite well, but is he otherwise a good fit? Can he speak Southern?

PPG = 15.5
RBS = 9.6
BLK = 0.8
TS% = 62.2

Difficult to say until we know who, if anyone, we're losing. I like Jalen Washington and I'm sorry for his past injuries. But I can't see him being a major contributor for us. It might be best for all parties for him to look elsewhere. And if that happens, I'd say we need two stud bigs - an offensive big like Raynaud and a defensive big like the Rutgers guy.

If Ingram leaves, we'll need a stretch 4 and I don't have any idea who would be out there. I would hate for Ingram to leave. He such a delightful kid and leader for the team. Really hoping he comes back.

Otherwise, assuming RJ comes back, I think we need one knockdown shooter. I'd like to believe that Ian or Drake could be that. Or that Seth will stay at 40% from 3 but shooting twice as many. But neither are those are going to happen, IMO. Therefore we need a wing that can really shoot it.

• Love
Reactions: Heelicious

PPG = 14.5
RBS = 10.3
BLK = 1.5
TS% = 60.1

Syracuse just landed Eddie Lampkin from Colorado, considered a "huge acquisition" by On3, but his numbers, while good, can't touch Armando's:

PPG = 10.6
RBS = 7.0
BLK = 0.1
TS% = 59.1

Maxime Raynaud stacks up quite well, but is he otherwise a good fit? Can he speak Southern?

PPG = 15.5
RBS = 9.6
BLK = 0.8
TS% = 62.2
Goldin from FAU is in the portal.

PPG = 14.5
RBS = 10.3
BLK = 1.5
TS% = 60.1

PPG = 10.6
RBS = 7.0
BLK = 0.1
TS% = 59.1

PPG = 15.5
RBS = 9.6
BLK = 0.8
TS% = 62.2

I'd like to know what Hubert and the staff are looking for as well. Do they believe that JWash and a transfer will be able to make up for the production we're losing, or maybe they like the idea of bringing in more than just one big to replace Mando. Personally, I wouldn't mind a true rim protector or a big-bodied rebounder opposed to a stretch-five. I think most importantly, we'll need somebody with experience. I'm naturally drawn to 7'-1" 240lb Vlad Goldin, who has played in a final four with FAU and has three years of P6 starting experience. I think Danny Wolf from Yale is intriguing. He loosely reminds me of Luke Maye with his ability to score from anywhere on the court (only he's about four inches taller). I'm not sure where all the talk of Ryan Kalkbrenner from Creighton has come from (to my knowledge he's not even in the portal), but he would be an absolute dream pickup for Davis and the staff. I'm almost foaming at the mouth thinking about a Kalkbrenner anchored defense in Chapel Hill.

Truthfully, we have no way of knowing what our biggest team needs are until we know for a fact who's staying and who's leaving. The hardest part of this whole process for us fans is the waiting game.

Personally I want a strong physical big who can bang with other strong bigs and protect the paint.
I agree, but as a complement to JWash, not a replacement. Washington will give us a dimension we haven't had in years as a not just adequate, but excellent 3 point threat from a true Big, and he can rim-protect. His next step is improving defensive footwork and continuing to increase strength and weight.

Overall, I'm even more interested in a Wing who is a proven shooter with Cormac and Pax leaving (and perhaps Ingram). On that note, among the multitude of portal kids who have already reached out (and we're gonna have a lot to pick from if we don't screw it up), I am personally intrigued with Hunter Tyson's little brother (who plays at Belmont), and as i understand it, the staff has made him an early prioroty target.

I agree, but as a complement to JWash, not a replacement. Washington will give us a dimension we haven't had in years as a not just adequate, but excellent 3 point threat from a true Big, and he can rim-protect. His next step is improving defensive footwork and continuing to increase strength and weight.

Overall, I'm even more interested in a Wing who is a proven shooter with Cormac and Pax leaving (and perhaps Ingram). On that note, among the multitude of portal kids who have already reached out (and we're gonna have a lot to pick from if we don't screw it up), I am personally intrigued with Hunter Tyson's little brother (who plays at Belmont), and as i understand it, the staff has made him an early prioroty target.
I'm just not a believer that Washington can defend well enough to play big minutes on a championship contender. He can't defend the perimeter at all. He can't navigate screens, he's slow to close out on shooters, he's easy to drive around. You put him in a ball screen action and it basically breaks down our entire team defense. So you try to hide him defensively by making him defend centers so he can stay in the paint. But then every relatively strong center, even the short ones like Omier, easily push him under the rim for easy scoring opportunities. He also fumbles the ball a lot when trying to rebound in traffic. Yes he's tall and has long arms, and he occasionally blocks a shot, but he's not quick off his feet and it seems he rarely is able to influence shot attempts as a result. On the offensive end his shot looks good and he's done a better job finishing around the rim, but he still struggles to get and maintain post position to receive entry passes. Plus I've lost count of how many times he has fallen down trying to set a simple screen. It seems like he's only truly effective in games where he's matched up against a big man that has no perimeter game (so he doesn't have to defend the 3pt line or drives) and is not particularly strong (so he doesn't get bullied in the paint.) This season we had maybe one ACC game like that, against a mediocre UVA team, and JWash had what I think was his best game of the season.

Cade Tyson has been in college 2 years and played exactly 1 game against a high major team. He played and shot extremely poorly in that game. He's definitely not a proven shooter at the high major level. He's worth spending a scholarship on because you always need shooting and maybe he'll end up proving himself at this level when he has more talent playing around him. But worst case scenario he'll be another Wojcik or Pierce, and that's still better than letting scholarships go to walk-ons (we gave 2 to walk-ons this season.) If RJ, Cadeau, Jackson, Trimble, Powell, and Ingram are all on the roster I doubt he'd play much this season. If we lose some of those guys then I'd expect us to add more transfers that have proven themselves at the high major level. But I do like Hubert's strategy. Bring in the local kid first, like Paxson Wojcik, and try to get him to commit. Then swing for the home run players afterwards.

Reactions: UNCHUSKER
Need to get a NIL package together for the kid from Indiana State…Recruit him like a Free Agent…Dude is a baller…

Personally I want a strong physical big who can bang with other strong bigs and protect the paint.
So - all that bacot was not. Bacot for his size couldn’t bang with other bigs. Often got out jumped. Got his close in shots altered too much. Lost to many “50/50” rebounds, and missed way too many short shots.

He had good selective offensive skills and his ft shooting improvement was awesome. But I’d love to have a guy in the post that is even 90% of Sean ‘may or 75% of psycho T. Which would more than replace Bacot

Reactions: Old_School59
So - all that bacot was not. Bacot for his size couldn’t bang with other bigs. Often got out jumped. Got his close in shots altered too much. Lost to many “50/50” rebounds, and missed way too many short shots.

He had good selective offensive skills and his ft shooting improvement was awesome. But I’d love to have a guy in the post that is even 90% of Sean ‘may or 75% of psycho T. Which would more than replace Bacot
What bigs were able to bully Bacot, push him under the rim, and score easily on him? DJ Burns and who else? Not Hunter Dickinson. Not Norchad Omier. Not PJ Hall. Not any of the centers that dook has sent to the NBA. But you don't think he could bang with other bigs?

He lost too many 50/50 rebounds? The guy who set the UNC rebounding record in 4 years (and one of those years he had to share rebounds with Sharpe, Kessler, and Brooks) was somehow not a good enough rebounder for you?

You're in for a very rude awakening next year when you see just how much our center position regresses when it comes to defense and rebounding.

I'm just not a believer that Washington can defend well enough to play big minutes on a championship contender. He can't defend the perimeter at all. He can't navigate screens, he's slow to close out on shooters, he's easy to drive around. You put him in a ball screen action and it basically breaks down our entire team defense. So you try to hide him defensively by making him defend centers so he can stay in the paint. But then every relatively strong center, even the short ones like Omier, easily push him under the rim for easy scoring opportunities. He also fumbles the ball a lot when trying to rebound in traffic. Yes he's tall and has long arms, and he occasionally blocks a shot, but he's not quick off his feet and it seems he rarely is able to influence shot attempts as a result. On the offensive end his shot looks good and he's done a better job finishing around the rim, but he still struggles to get and maintain post position to receive entry passes. Plus I've lost count of how many times he has fallen down trying to set a simple screen. It seems like he's only truly effective in games where he's matched up against a big man that has no perimeter game (so he doesn't have to defend the 3pt line or drives) and is not particularly strong (so he doesn't get bullied in the paint.) This season we had maybe one ACC game like that, against a mediocre UVA team, and JWash had what I think was his best game of the season.

Cade Tyson has been in college 2 years and played exactly 1 game against a high major team. He played and shot extremely poorly in that game. He's definitely not a proven shooter at the high major level. He's worth spending a scholarship on because you always need shooting and maybe he'll end up proving himself at this level when he has more talent playing around him. But worst case scenario he'll be another Wojcik or Pierce, and that's still better than letting scholarships go to walk-ons (we gave 2 to walk-ons this season.) If RJ, Cadeau, Jackson, Trimble, Powell, and Ingram are all on the roster I doubt he'd play much this season. If we lose some of those guys then I'd expect us to add more transfers that have proven themselves at the high major level. But I do like Hubert's strategy. Bring in the local kid first, like Paxson Wojcik, and try to get him to commit. Then swing for the home run players afterwards.
JWash just played his first healthy season since HS. There is no reason he won't take another step. He is a player. Writing him off would be incredibly foolish.

JWash just played his first healthy season since HS. There is no reason he won't take another step. He is a player. Writing him off would be incredibly foolish.
I'm not writing him off. I just don't believe UNC can bet an entire season on him based on what he showed us this year. We need a roster than can compete for a title. So construct the roster assuming that JWash will once again be terrible on defense and may play very little in big time games. And if he ends up being better, than good for us.

I hope very much that JWash returns to UNC next year. I can see continued development (with some contiuning problems) but he can come in and give us a few minutes here and there as he is a bit of a matchup problem in short bursts. Will he be happy with that role only he knows, but I would really like to see continue development in Chapel Hill. Both he and team I believe would be benefited.

Last edited:
I'm not writing him off. I just don't believe UNC can bet an entire season on him based on what he showed us this year. We need a roster than can compete for a title. So construct the roster assuming that JWash will once again be terrible on defense and may play very little in big time games. And if he ends up being better, than good for us.
Again, there should be no such assumption. He should be our starting 5. He showed he is willing to finish at the rim (in the manner I wish Mando would have more often) and he can block shots. JWash is an "above-the-rim" Big but also has the most natural shooting stroke on the team. That 10-15 ft turnaround and face-up J is next-level, and he is a legit 3-ball threat.

Obviously. the hardest thing to replace with Mando will be his defense (which became elite this season), both in the block and on switches. And yes, as I said, I would also like to bring in a strong Big who can rotate in with JWash and bring a more physical presence.

Again, there should be no such assumption. He should be our starting 5.
Absolutely not. Frankly I don't know how you could watch him play this year and then type those words. He is absolutely terrible on defense. He can't defend any bigs that have perimeter skills. He can't defend any bigs that have decent strength. He can't switch onto perimeter players. He can't defend ball screens. He can't get out on shooters. He can't stay in front of drivers. For an opposing team to get a wide open shot, all they need to do every time on offense is to put Washington into a ball screen. He also struggles to rebound in traffic, set screens, dribble...

Bacot actually played slightly more minutes per game this season compared to last because he did not have a decent back up. JWash averaged about 8 mins per game. Against Alabama Bacot picked up 3 quick fouls in the 2nd half and we turned to JWash. He was so completely horrible on defense that he was quickly benched and Withers was put in at Center.

There is no way a guy averaging 8 mins per game, who is terrible on defense, and mediocre at everything on offense except jumpshooting, should be handed the starting center position at North Carolina. That's how you have a terrible season and put the coach back on the hot seat.

You get the absolute best center you possibly can out of the transfer portal. If Washington deserves to start he will win the job in practice.

Again, there should be no such assumption. He should be our starting 5. He showed he is willing to finish at the rim (in the manner I wish Mando would have more often) and he can block shots. JWash is an "above-the-rim" Big but also has the most natural shooting stroke on the team. That 10-15 ft turnaround and face-up J is next-level, and he is a legit 3-ball threat.

Obviously. the hardest thing to replace with Mando will be his defense (which became elite this season), both in the block and on switches. And yes, as I said, I would also like to bring in a strong Big who can rotate in with JWash and bring a more physical presence.
THANK YOU!!!

As you know, I have been screaming this all season, actually well longer than that. I still believe had we used Jalen to more look for his jump shots, not force them but put himself in better position to get the pass and go up with it, that it could have helped us thru those hard losses.

Now I like Jalen more as a 4, because there is no way he does not fit the stretch 4 role IF HE WORKS FOR HIS SPOTS TO GET THAT JUMPER OFF. The thought of a stretch 5, still does not taste right for me
because I worry about board coverage. But that jump shot from Jalen is NBA level, who has the length to alter that jump shot, especially out to three point land? That is a MAJOR WEAPON.

I am not going to say that Jalen should be our starter, I need to see how he develops this off season, his defense does need a lot of work, I very much feel he can be. I considered this past season to be more like most players without his injury issues freshman season. I don't know who we will be fortunate enough to portal in and my crystal ball is broke! LOL What I do know is there is no justifiable way 8mins a game is all Jalen is worth next season, he is to much talent to waste.

Absolutely not. Frankly I don't know how you could watch him play this year and then type those words. He is absolutely terrible on defense. He can't defend any bigs that have perimeter skills. He can't defend any bigs that have decent strength. He can't switch onto perimeter players. He can't defend ball screens. He can't get out on shooters. He can't stay in front of drivers. For an opposing team to get a wide open shot, all they need to do every time on offense is to put Washington into a ball screen. He also struggles to rebound in traffic, set screens, dribble...

Bacot actually played slightly more minutes per game this season compared to last because he did not have a decent back up. JWash averaged about 8 mins per game. Against Alabama Bacot picked up 3 quick fouls in the 2nd half and we turned to JWash. He was so completely horrible on defense that he was quickly benched and Withers was put in at Center.

There is no way a guy averaging 8 mins per game, who is terrible on defense, and mediocre at everything on offense except jumpshooting, should be handed the starting center position at North Carolina. That's how you have a terrible season and put the coach back on the hot seat.

You get the absolute best center you possibly can out of the transfer portal. If Washington deserves to start he will win the job in practice.
Agree with all this. If wash is starter at 5 and got like 28- 32 minutes I think the opposing players going against him would average 20+ ppg at least for legit opponents.

His jump shooting is good. But he’s no mean beast finishing in the paint against someone guarding him, or through contact. He has way below average hands, absolutely cannot dribble drive, and isn’t any better than bacot finishing in close. He had some dunks without anyone between him and the basket but any D1 player can do that.

If hubs goes in to next year thinking / hoping? there is some wash magic and he takes a quantum leap and we just need a spot guy to give wash some rest - then we are so screwed. What has anyone seen to make them believe wash will make that leap?

Even then he tends to play pretty slow a step or two slow , and timid especially on defense. I don’t want him to leave but I’d also be surprised if he’s the starter at 5. It means he did take the quantum leap or we totally struck out in the portal for getting legit bigs.

You are miles off base here. Sure, we all know that JWash has work to do in defense, but he is NOT --- in any size, shape or form --- "mediocre" on offense. Good Lord, man.
I normally appreciate your perspective, but that is just flat-out nuts.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Imo if J Wash can make another leap to next year he’ll be just fine. Can he be our starting big? Maybe not with the play he got this year. But like I said, he’s got another year behind his injuries and that could be huge for him.
I will say this, with all the short comings some of you have mentioned I’ll mention something that is undeniable. He made several plays that NO ONE on our team made. He dang near and tried to put his man and the basketball in the basket at the same time. If Bacot could have done it too, he would have. J Wash will be fine. Put in the work, get stronger, and work on defense.

Growth when given opportunity and responsibility is the hardest thing to predict in sports especially with 18-22 year olds. Question marks are the norm not the exception. No reason to think some guys can’t make major leaps when called upon.

THANK YOU!!!

As you know, I have been screaming this all season, actually well longer than that. I still believe had we used Jalen to more look for his jump shots, not force them but put himself in better position to get the pass and go up with it, that it could have helped us thru those hard losses.

Now I like Jalen more as a 4, because there is no way he does not fit the stretch 4 role IF HE WORKS FOR HIS SPOTS TO GET THAT JUMPER OFF. The thought of a stretch 5, still does not taste right for me
because I worry about board coverage. But that jump shot from Jalen is NBA level, who has the length to alter that jump shot, especially out to three point land? That is a MAJOR WEAPON.

I am not going to say that Jalen should be our starter, I need to see how he develops this off season, his defense does need a lot of work, I very much feel he can be. I considered this past season to be more like most players without his injury issues freshman season. I don't know who we will be fortunate enough to portal in and my crystal ball is broke! LOL What I do know is there is no justifiable way 8mins a game is all Jalen is worth next season, he is to much talent to waste.
I hear ya. And look, as fans should know by now, speculating on next season's lineup and/or roster is just that --- speculating. Hell, just from what I've heard so far, this year's portal will have more, shall we say, attraction to UNC than last year at this time. In other words, there are guys not even "officially" in yet who will be, and some of those will be VERY desirable, so this conversation could change in a couple of weeks.

So... when I say that JWash "should be our starting 5", that means as a default, i.e., if this becomes the case, it's not the disaster some are making it out to be --- and if his physical recovery/development continues, it could be pretty doggone sweet.

With that said, if a beast 5 who's a more finished product shows up in the portal, that could certainly change things. I mean, that's just the way it is these days. And again, we don't even know who's coming back from the current roster yet. It's Weds, so the "meetings" have been had, and we have 2 guys seriously weighing the draft and another that I know of who has already been contemplating his own options.

But back to JWash, your spot-on point about his shooting skills at his height seem to blow over many folks' heads, because yes, it is NBA level.

I hear ya. And look, as fans should know by now, speculating on next season's lineup and/or roster is just that --- speculating. Hell, just from what I've heard so far, this year's portal will have more, shall we say, attraction to UNC than last year at this time. In other words, there are guys not even "officially" in yet who will be, and some of those will be VERY desirable, so this conversation could change in a couple of weeks.
I'm glad somebody pointed this out.

Our staff isn't in scramble mode trying to attract players to Carolina. HD knows what he's looking for in a player and how he wants them to fit into the program (not just schematically, but as young men). I understand the eagerness and even the impatience from a lot of the fans due to not knowing much at the moment. But, we all need to remember HD is getting back to recruiting players that will be "Carolina guys." Not trying to sound conceited, but playing for Carolina is a privilege. And there have been a few guys in recent memory that we've recruited that weren't "Carolina guys."

It’s not like the dude has to play Bacot type minutes, but he can 100% be an asset & not a liability playing 20-22 minutes a game.
Good take. It’s not like he has to play 35 mins. lol we may want him to if he keeps improving. I’m looking for him to make another jump, realizing it’s almost like his second year coming up.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7

So... when I say that JWash "should be our starting 5", that means as a default, i.e., if this becomes the case, it's not the disaster some are making it out to be --- and if his physical recovery/development continues, it could be pretty doggone sweet.

With that said, if a beast 5 who's a more finished product shows up in the portal, that could certainly change things. I mean, that's just the way it is these days. And again, we don't even know who's coming back from the current roster yet. It's Weds, so the "meetings" have been had, and we have 2 guys seriously weighing the draft and another that I know of who has already been contemplating his own options.

But back to JWash, your spot-on point about his shooting skills at his height seem to blow over many folks' heads, because yes, it is NBA level.
There has been innuendo about Ryan Kalkenbrenner possibly being available in the portal ( he currently is not, and Creighton boards don't mention anything)
I have said that he would be the perfect compliment to JWASH in the paint.
They could share time as Kalkbrenner is a defensive force that doesn't need to be an offensive focus to prosper. I also think they could play small snippets together.
JWash liability as a perimeter defender would be mitigated some with the 3 time Big East defensive POY behind him protecting the basket.
RK was not a big min guy in the past until this season, so I can see a compromise in time, developing for a chance to win a Championship.
I don't want to see J Wash go, but I also don't think at this point that he is a 30 plus min 5 on a Championship team.
I think Kalkbrenner could be though.

How could anyone with any bball sense look at JWash's improvement and work and not expect him to continue to improve??? The youngster has suffered several major injuries and is finally facing 2 healthy off-seasons in a row for the first time in his career! If you don't expect a leap you just aren't paying attention (or like some, you have an agenda)! It is beyond obvious that he needs strength/conditioning (especially in the lower body) and to get back his natural instincts for D and O, but that pure stroke cannot be taught. If he is our starting 4 or 5 UNC will be fine! (I can't wait to see this since I love watching peeps backpedal)

How can anyone watching the masterful way that Hubs has worked the portal already not expect him to keep doing well??? If you don't expect Hubs and staff to find what we need in such a (soon to be) well stocked portal maybe you just might be trolling!

Oh My, the program is falling apart; it has been a whole week and we haven't landed 10 5 * players!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT