ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Barnstorming Tour

TarHeelMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2006
Southern Part of Heaven
Joel and Theo are supposed to participate. So is vanilla whip. Not sure who else is slated to play, but Phil is coaching one of the teams.

Starts next Monday, the 9th in Greensboro.
http://www.carolinabarnstorming.com/

Anybody ever gone to one of these events? I assume it’s pretty relaxed with minimal defensive effort. Looks like there is time after the game where the players are available for photos, autographs, etc.

If I’m reading this right, the ACC all stars are coached by Phil. So I guess that means they play a team made up from other local colleges (maybe teams like ECU, or UNCW, etc)?

Joel and Theo are supposed to participate. So is vanilla whip. Not sure who else is slated to play, but Phil is coaching one of the teams.

Starts next Monday, the 9th in Greensboro.
http://www.carolinabarnstorming.com/

Anybody ever gone to one of these events? I assume it’s pretty relaxed with minimal defensive effort. Looks like there is time after the game where the players are available for photos, autographs, etc.

I'll show my age & admit to going to a game in 1983 in my early teenage years. At the time, my family were NC State fans. o_O The championship was a big deal in the state of NC. Anyway, the ACC seniors played a game at my high school. Thurl Bailey & Dereck Whittenburg were very late. I remember Sidney Lowe being extremely worried. It turned out they were lost & showed up over an hour later. We sat there with the drama building, until they finally showed up. lol That game was mostly an ACC all star game where they showed off their skills, but it was better than most all star games we see these days. They were very willing to sign autographs & mingle with the crowd. Obviously, it's a different world now, so things have probably changed a lot.

If you go to a game, let us know what they're like now. I've already told DH we're planning a vacation next year around going to several games to watch Luke, Kenny, & (hopefully) Cam play. I really regret not going to see Marcus & Brice in 2016. If Luke, Kenny or Cam post on twitter that they have stalkers at the Barnstorming games next year, you'll know who it is. :p I just hope I don't plan this trip & one or more of them not play. :eek:

Last edited:
I went to this event in 1981(I think )at East Burke high school. I saw Mike Pepper and Al Wood from UNC and Gene banks from Duke. It helped cement my fandom for Carolina and my hatred for Duke. It was a great event and I wish I could go again but they don’t make a stop in Northern California

Gene, The Dunking machine, Banks is one of the few pukies I respect! Hopefully. he wasn't the cause of the hatred for the evil empire! I may go if work permits and I have been in the past as well. It was fun and pretty good ball. Yes, the D is sometimes just like other All-star games, but you are guaranteed to see someone of local interest!

I also remember playing in the Shavlik league against local college players. Method Road Hotbox was a fun, packed venue to play!

I went and saw that once years ago. It was a total joke. Guess it might make those guys a little pocket money, but it wasn't worth watching. About like watching shoot around as there is zero defense even attempted.

My neighbor is going this yr. I have the national championship basketball, a hat, and the mini banner from late nite that she is getting signed. 50.00 gets you the v.i.p pass and you get to meet and talk to the players guaranteed. Almost forgot I also have the special SI championship edition magazine that is getting signed

Sorry, but not going this time. Went last year. there are hardly no sites in eastern NC. The only one is in New Bern. What is up with that. Poor planning. Should have at least been one more location in eastern NC.

Sorry, but not going this time. Went last year. there are hardly no sites in eastern NC. The only one is in New Bern. What is up with that. Poor planning. Should have at least been one more location in eastern NC.
They were in duplin county last yr because my neighbor went and had my championship hat singed by Isaiah Hicks, Kennedy Meeks, Nate Britt, Stillman White, and Coker

I went to an ACC All Star game back in 1968 in Asheville, Larry Miller was there, so was WCU All American Henry Logan who dropped 61 on them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT