ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Officially Dead

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
Moving to a 12 team playoff, with six at large spots. This gives ND a pretty easy path to the playoffs, which was the most important thing for them. Any chance of them joining the conference, which had to happen for the ACC to survive, is now back at zero.

Moving to a 12 team playoff, with six at large spots. This gives ND a pretty easy path to the playoffs, which was the most important thing for them. Any chance of them joining the conference, which had to happen for the ACC to survive, is now back at zero.

Whew! that's a relief........I didn't want Notre Dame to be a full member of the ACC anyway. The conference is much better off keeping them exactly where they are.
If the ACC dies and Notre Dame has to move to the B1G, they will fondly remember when they were independent and had a heavenly set-up with the ACC, because they will get ***** slapped all the time by Michigan and Ohio State.

Whew! that's a relief........I didn't want Notre Dame to be a full member of the ACC anyway. The conference is much better off keeping them exactly where they are.
If the ACC dies and Notre Dame has to move to the B1G, they will fondly remember when they were independent and had a heavenly set-up with the ACC, because they will get ***** slapped all the time by Michigan and Ohio State.
That's a weird take. You would rather UNC go to the Big/SEC and kill the ACC, because you have a vendetta against ND.

Reactions: strummingram
That's a weird take. You would rather UNC go to the Big/SEC and kill the ACC, because you have a vendetta against ND.
No, I would rather the ACC and Notre Dame continue their current relationship which works well for both parties. I don't think Notre Dame as a full member would advantageous for either.

No, I would rather the ACC and Notre Dame continue their current relationship which works well for both parties. I don't think Notre Dame as a full member would advantageous for either.
How would it not be advantageous for the ACC? That's ridiculous. They would bring in a significant amount of money for the conference. You must not know how this works.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Probably dead after ODU beats the va tech
More stupid football decisions by ACC people. Do not play at G5 stadiums unless there is a very compelling reason that all but forces your hand. And then only if there is sound reason to assume that you will win

If ACC basketball had been run the same way ACC football has, then ACC basketball never would have become what it did.

How would it not be advantageous for the ACC? That's ridiculous. They would bring in a significant amount of money for the conference. You must not know how this works.
He knows. But he's one whose dislike of ND was always there. He may even have been at the game when young Joe Montana came off the bench to lead a comeback against UNC. And over the past few years he's seen more than enough of ND football people boasting of how they are too big to care about the ACC in any sense.

I do not believe the ACC is "dead" yet. We will have teams in the 12-team playoff. But our teams must start scheduling and beating stronger non-conference opponents. All P5 or strong FBS teams would be my preference. That might lead to some early "growing pains," but continuing to schedule (and lose to) the ODU's of the world will not help.

I do not believe the ACC is "dead" yet. We will have teams in the 12-team playoff. But our teams must start scheduling and beating stronger non-conference opponents. All P5 or strong FBS teams would be my preference. That might lead to some early "growing pains," but continuing to schedule (and lose to) the ODU's of the world will not help.
Getting a team in the playoffs isn't the problem. The problem is money. You have to find a way to close the gap and that way was ND.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Getting a team in the playoffs isn't the problem. The problem is money. You have to find a way to close the gap and that way was ND.
NIL money will pull players from EVERY sport away from the ACC. Anyone who thinks ACC basketball isn’t threatened by this is fooling themselves.

Reactions: Oak ridger
NIL money will pull players from EVERY sport away from the ACC. Anyone who thinks ACC basketball isn’t threatened by this is fooling themselves.
I've been trying to explain for at least 2 decades to UNC and other ACC basketball-onlys and basketball-firsters that either the ACC really ups its football, or eventually ACC basketball will be harmed. They not only refuse to see that, but more than a few have demanded that I be banned from wherever it was that I made such obvious assertions.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Correct - the issue is money. TV money comes from proven TV fans, not from getting a team into playoffs. ACC football does not have them, not like the SEC and BT. Wake is never going to draw viewers. Neither is BC. UNC wallowing in mediocrity is wasting its potential to draw large numbers of TV fans for football. So are Miami and FSU.

Reactions: dtodd4475
He knows. But he's one whose dislike of ND was always there. He may even have been at the game when young Joe Montana came off the bench to lead a comeback against UNC. And over the past few years he's seen more than enough of ND football people boasting of how they are too big to care about the ACC in any sense.
I was, and they do.
No matter what, even if Notre Dame were to join the ACC full time, Irish football fans will never accept the ACC as their "home", and that attitude is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyinVA
If you have several ACC schools wanting to leave and they do it could be a problem for the ACC

I saw an interesting report last week. The BIG10 listed 5 teams they were interested in bringing into the conference. None from the ACC included. May be just talk, but...........

I saw an interesting report last week. The BIG10 listed 5 teams they were interested in bringing into the conference. None from the ACC included. May be just talk, but...........
The Big listed it? I don't think they actually have a list. The problem with the ACC is the GofR. They can't really go after ACC teams, ACC teams would have to come to them with a plan. We know they want us, because they asked us to join before. This really isn't a secret.

I was, and they do.
No matter what, even if Notre Dame were to join the ACC full time, Irish football fans will never accept the ACC as their "home", and that attitude is unacceptable.
And that really is sad because a clear majority of ND fans - and coaches - in all other sports really like being in the ACC.

The Big listed it? I don't think they actually have a list. The problem with the ACC is the GofR. They can't really go after ACC teams, ACC teams would have to come to them with a plan. We know they want us, because they asked us to join before. This really isn't a secret.
The SEC fanboys talking up the slow destruction of the ACC by ESPN refusing to up the contract at the look-in assume that every ACC school they want will be theirs. Their assumption is that ESPN will act so as to deliver several ACC schools (inlcuding UNC) to the SEC.

But the BT is not retarded. The BT knows it will always be super rich, if it goes another 20 years without a National Championship in either revenue sport. But the BT also is at desperation point in terms of football quality. The only way that the BT can pull roughly equal to the SEC in terms of depth of quality is to add multiple schools in the South, including not sharing at least a couple of states with the SEC. So the BT really needs to have all Power conference schools located in VA and NC, and add to that Clemson, GT, FSU, and Miami.

The ACC's only leverage with ESPN and the SEC is UNC leading a contingent of those schools asserting that if the ACC is fiscally squeezed to death, they all will go BT, meaning ESPN loses them.

ESPN would be happy to lose Wake and BC, but ESPN does not want to lose UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, etc. And the SEC does not want the BT planted strongly in any part of the South.

Correct - the issue is money. TV money comes from proven TV fans, not from getting a team into playoffs. ACC football does not have them, not like the SEC and BT. Wake is never going to draw viewers. Neither is BC. UNC wallowing in mediocrity is wasting its potential to draw large numbers of TV fans for football. So are Miami and FSU.
Miami and Florida State's fall to mediocrity has really hurt. If they maintained upper echelon football programs along with Clemson they had a chance. The horse has left the barn at this point, only a matter of time.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I understand the "money" issue. Hopefully that can be improved for the ACC. But I wonder if any ACC teams that might jump tp another conference would lose more from the GoR than they would gain (at least until GoR expires). I don't know the answer to that, but perhaps someone has run the numbers.

I understand the "money" issue. Hopefully that can be improved for the ACC. But I wonder if any ACC teams that might jump tp another conference would lose more from the GoR than they would gain (at least until GoR expires). I don't know the answer to that, but perhaps someone has run the numbers.
I'm sure the numbers have been run and at this point it's probably too risky for one team to test it in court. Right now there are two options and neither of them are likely because they would require a majority of the teams. Either get together and test it in court, which would probably just lead to a negotiation for an exit fee or a majority of members dissolve the conference, which is possible under NC law.

Well, it you leave for a league that is going to have a new deal that will pay each member 40 million more per year than the ACC will get, then you will pay off even a 240 million GOR debt in just years in the new league. And then you are guaranteed that huge money for life. Both BT and SEC are set forever, because football does not just drive the bus, nor even is football just king: football is the Autocrat Tsar over everything. And the SEC and BT have the largest numbers of football fans by a good deal, and they also have the vast majority of the biggest names in the sport.

The way a GOR works is that the money you owe for leaving goes down every year as you get closer to the end of the contract. So a school leaving the ACC in 2025 would pay less than a school leaving now.

Well, it you leave for a league that is going to have a new deal that will pay each member 40 million more per year than the ACC will get, then you will pay off even a 240 million GOR debt in just years in the new league. And then you are guaranteed that huge money for life. Both BT and SEC are set forever, because football does not just drive the bus, nor even is football just king: football is the Autocrat Tsar over everything. And the SEC and BT have the largest numbers of football fans by a good deal, and they also have the vast majority of the biggest names in the sport.

The way a GOR works is that the money you owe for leaving goes down every year as you get closer to the end of the contract. So a school leaving the ACC in 2025 would pay less than a school leaving now.
Not true.
The money that you owe for the GOR is whatever the remaining schools want it to be. Could be $1, more likely $1 Billion at a minimum.
When you own something (like the conference owns all of the schools broadcast rights) you don't have to sell it if you don't want to and if you do sell, you can set your own price.

Not true.
The money that you owe for the GOR is whatever the remaining schools want it to be. Could be $1, more likely $1 Billion at a minimum.
When you own something (like the conference owns all of the schools broadcast rights) you don't have to sell it if you don't want to and if you do sell, you can set your own price.
The price is based on the money the school gets from their TV rights. The conference can't just set their own price without negotiating.

The price is based on the money the school gets from their TV rights. The conference can't just set their own price without negotiating.
The conference owns the rights and can choose to sell (or not) for any price they want to set, and yes they can set their own price without any negotiation.
There is nothing a school that wants to leave can do to force the conference to sell their rights back.

The conference owns the rights and can choose to sell (or not) for any price they want to set, and yes they can set their own price without any negotiation.
There is nothing a school that wants to leave can do to force the conference to sell their rights back.
Again, you are wrong. They are restricted to the amount that the rights bring in. If they bring in $5, that's all they would get. They can't get any amount over what the team would earn through their new deal.

Again, you are wrong. They are restricted to the amount that the rights bring in. If they bring in $5, that's all they would get. They can't get any amount over what the team would earn through their new deal.
emot_stoopsfaceshake.gif

Perhaps you should do a little research before you embarrass yourself further, and then get back to me.

emot_stoopsfaceshake.gif

Perhaps you should do a little research before you embarrass yourself further, and then get back to me.
I was thinking the same about you. Although given your posting history, you don't seem to care about embarrassing yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT