ADVERTISEMENT

AJ: The Truth About Where Carolina Stands Right Now

He's right. We brought in Warren for the sole purpose of helping DBs. Dre is learning. He's a recruiter. You have to have them. We've lost Brewster, Gillespie, Billy High. Chizik isn't a recruiter. You need kind of good blend.

I think the fan base would have been happy with nine wins if they didn't come in the order that they came. Winning so many in a row got a lot of fans hopes up, which is never a good thing with North Carolina. As I said in another post, if UNC hadn't blown the Georgia tech game, this rivalry game wouldn't have hurt so bad.

On the flip side, if they pull off a miracle against Clemson it's going to feel like winning a national championship.
Probably. Even though Clemson got beat at home today. Although, I think that was more of a fluke than some sort of a trajectory. I didn't watch the whole game. I also don't think North Carolina it's going to win that game. I don't even know if it'll be close. Dabo is not going to allow them to lose two in a row and one of them being the ACC championship game.

And whoever they play in their crappy bowl is going to be mostly insignificant, even though a win would be nice. I don't expect them to win that game either. And if it's like every other game it's going to be a nail biter right down to the last second.

Probably. Even though Clemson got beat at home today. Although, I think that was more of a fluke than some sort of a trajectory. I didn't watch the whole game. I also don't think North Carolina it's going to win that game. I don't even know if it'll be close. Dabo is not going to allow them to lose two in a row and one of them being the ACC championship game.

And whoever they play in their crappy bowl is going to be mostly insignificant, even though a win would be nice. I don't expect them to win that game either. And if it's like every other game it's going to be a nail biter right down to the last second.

We're going to have a harder time beating them than USuCk just because of how terrible our defensive line is. Shipley might run for 300 yards against this defense.

Which means they will control the clock and keep the ball away from our offense that is already struggling.

If Drake and Josh both have career days then they can maybe keep it close. Maybe if we're lucky DJ will make a bunch of mistakes and maybe even throw a pick or two.

As much as it feels like a bowl won't matter, if they could somehow win the next two I think it could be enough to convince some high level transfers to come in for a year or two. If it goes the other way then we might be lucky to keep our superstar QB next year.

if they could somehow win the next two I think it could be enough to convince some high level transfers to come in for a year or two. If it goes the other way then we might be lucky to keep our superstar QB next year.
The UNC team seems pretty demoralized and they lack the coaching staff to rejuvenate them.

And... Clemson's loss just snapped a 40-game winning streak at home. Can you imagine the odds of another consecutive loss?

I think the fan base would have been happy with nine wins if they didn't come in the order that they came. Winning so many in a row got a lot of fans hopes up, which is never a good thing with North Carolina. As I said in another post, if UNC hadn't blown the Georgia tech game, this rivalry game wouldn't have hurt so bad.
to an extent, yeah…losing to gatech was in my sight because they clinched the week before in a crazy game that they probably shouldn’t have won, much like duke & uva.

to me, the state game was a clean slate because they lost the “trap” game…it’s a different expectation, a different task…the motivation is completely different and should’ve been an emphasis instead these garbage uniform tweets.

again, the vision of them planting a flag on the field should have been on loop in the locker room and in the meetings…it’s happened enough in the last 15 years so the footage is out there…felt like fedora got that at least.

to an extent, yeah…losing to gatech was in my sight because they clinched the week before in a crazy game that they probably shouldn’t have won, much like duke & uva.

to me, the state game was a clean slate because they lost the “trap” game…it’s a different expectation, a different task…the motivation is completely different and should’ve been an emphasis instead these garbage uniform tweets.

again, the vision of them planting a flag on the field should have been on loop in the locker room and in the meetings…it’s happened enough in the last 15 years so the footage is out there…felt like fedora got that at least.
The state game was really, really close. I mean, you can pick it all apart (both sides), but it came down to a missed FG (and one missed earlier would have won it). The rivalry in football is strong and always really close.

NCSU had the best defense UNC has faced. And, Drake to A-Green at the end of regulation was proof that they can hit the gas when they allow Drake to be Drake.

Clemson lost their rivalry game, too.

Losing to GT was inexcusable. It should have NEVER happened. UNC was 21 point favorites. I think that loss crept into the state game. That GT loss killed the season, imo.

Reactions: chickenhunter
He's right. We brought in Warren for the sole purpose of helping DBs. Dre is learning. He's a recruiter. You have to have them. We've lost Brewster, Gillespie, Billy High. Chizik isn't a recruiter. You need kind of good blend.
The current blend is not good because every position group of players on D lacks fundamentals and underachieves. Clearly the blend that Doreen has at Moo for D position coaches works better because the Moo D is better every year with lower recruit star rankings.

Reactions: chickenhunter
The current blend is not good because every position group of players on D lacks fundamentals and underachieves. Clearly the blend that Doreen has at Moo for D position coaches works better because the Moo D is better every year with lower recruit star rankings.
State filled some positions at about the same time Mack started back at UNC. They replaced a good OL coach (Dwayne Ledford) with John Garrison and he's turned out to be a good hire. We hired a guy (Stacy Searels) that had never coached in an air raid offense. We know how that turned out. Tony Gibson is in his fourth year there as DC. We overhauled our entire defense basically two years into a rebuild. You see the difference there?

Last edited:
We probably started out a little heavy on recruiters. Thought we could just win on talent and athleticism. But I'm not sure how you really develop anyone with how we've gone about things. Wouldn't blame a single guy on defense for wanting to hit the portal. And Chizik's scheme is, well, not great. I looked back at our 2015 stats. They're about how I remembered. Didn't give up many big plays. Defensive efficiency was bad. Top 10 offense. Weak schedule. We averaged about the same number of sacks this year as we did back then. About half as many as last season. The excuse then was we didn't have the personnel on our DL. Plain vanilla D. Not sure to what extent replacing a bunch of position coaches is going to change that if you still have the same defensive philosophy. But I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
We probably started out a little heavy on recruiters. Thought we could just win on talent and athleticism. But I'm not sure how you really develop anyone with how we've gone about things. Wouldn't blame a single guy on defense for wanting to hit the portal. And Chizik's scheme is, well, not great. I looked back at our 2015 stats. They're about how I remembered. Didn't give up many big plays. Defensive efficiency was bad. Top 10 offense. Weak schedule. We averaged about the same number of sacks this year as we did back then. About half as many as last lesson. Plain vanilla D. Not sure to what extent replacing a bunch of position coaches is going to change that without a change in overall defensive philosophy. But I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️
Jason Staples has documented that the one glaring difference between Moo's D this year and ours is that all Moo players tackle well and stay at home - meaning they are in position, not roaming wild, and that they take th ball carrier down at the first opportunity. Missed tackles always lead to giving up more yards. Players not staying in their lanes always allows big plays.

Position coaches are supposed to teach those things. Mack does not think such things matter much because Mack's faith is in outrecruiting people to win. Mack is out recruiting Moo and GT, and look at what just happened.

I don't recall ever offering a bet for that prediction.
He tries to frame things falsely to make it seem that those who discern the many, and growing, problems with Mack 2.0 exaggerate outrageously. None of us thought that against this very weak schedule Mack would be 6-6.

I do think that with this talent, against this schedule, this team easily could have been 12-0 and should have been no worse than a robust 11-1, by which I mean we pounded lesser foes and played ND very tough.

He tries to frame things falsely to make it seem that those who discern the many, and growing, problems with Mack 2.0 exaggerate outrageously. None of us thought that against this very weak schedule Mack would be 6-6.

I do think that with this talent, against this schedule, this team easily could have been 12-0 and should have been no worse than a robust 11-1, by which I mean we pounded lesser foes and played ND very tough.
I thought they'd be 6-6, for sure. I didn't know Drake Maye would be as good as he was so soon. And, as I said, losing the last 4 games will make 9 wins... against weak opponents... seem pretty lackluster and anticlimactic.

9 wins is the best UNC fans can ever hope for in one season, so, enjoy.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I don't recall ever offering a bet for that prediction.

And...

Ending the season with four straight losses is going to make nine wins feel like five or six wins.
I’m saying I should’ve put a wager down. We’ll see what happens on Saturday night. Clemson has a lot of issues of their own.

Lol, he literally said we would finish 6-6 in another thread. I don’t blame the reasoning seeing how we finished last year. Gattis doing work against Pitt tonight.

I’m saying I should’ve put a wager down. We’ll see what happens on Saturday night. Clemson has a lot of issues of their own.
It's pretty difficult to "put a wager down" when I never offered. You actually offered a $1500 wager that you would have lost.

It's pretty difficult to "put a wager down" when I never offered. You actually offered a $1500 wager that you would have lost.
Again, I’m saying I should’ve made a bet with you on the 6-6 you predicted as I predicted 9. Yes, I did offer the $1,500 as I had faith in the offense and the kicking game at the time.

Jason Staples has documented that the one glaring difference between Moo's D this year and ours is that all Moo players tackle well and stay at home - meaning they are in position, not roaming wild, and that they take th ball carrier down at the first opportunity. Missed tackles always lead to giving up more yards. Players not staying in their lanes always allows big plays.

Position coaches are supposed to teach those things. Mack does not think such things matter much because Mack's faith is in outrecruiting people to win. Mack is out recruiting Moo and GT, and look at what just happened.
I agree that we've relied too heavily on recruiting. But who is it that you're wanting to replace? We just hired Warren. If there's one group where we've seen some potential, it's at LB. That's Thig. And he's not a bad recruiter. So, I'm guessing Cross. But, again, this is his first year coaching the entire front. And Chizik's defenses, even when he was here last time, we weren't physical up front, and we didn't get after the QB. We had TWICE as many sacks last year. Now, the same people that were clamoring for Chizik and this vanilla D are complaining about not getting enough penetration at the LOS and TFLs lol!! You might be right, though, if we can find an upgrade. I'm just saying Chizik is not the guy. The timing of that move was DUMB. The transition to his scheme has SUCKED. It's a big reason why we are where we are right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: strummingram
I agree that we've relied too heavily on recruiting. But who is it that you're wanting to replace? We just hired Warren. If there's one group where we've seen some potential, it's at LB. That's Thig. And he's not a bad recruiter. So, I'm guessing Cross. But, again, this is his first year coaching the entire front. And Chizik's defenses, even when he was here last time, we weren't physical up front, and we didn't get after the QB. You might be right, though, if we can find an upgrade. I'm just saying Chizik is not the guy. The timing of that move was DUMB. The transition to his scheme has SUCKED. It's a big reason why we are where we are right now.
UNC might try and offer Dick Crum a new contract. Or, maybe the ghost of Bill Dooley!

ETA: Hire LT! LOL

UNC loves the nostalgia of the past!

• Haha
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Hurts to be a unc fan right now. But since it was a Fri game we have an extra day reasons why unc wins the shootout in Charlotte! We feel our D sucks but Elijah Green is starting to shine, Antoine Greene is back, Clemson just showed they're beatable and Maye is due another magic-touch game.

Who is ready for another 1 score, last possession victory!

:⁠,⁠-⁠)

what else is there???
Don't argue. Disregard my drunk-posting and admit that you think we have a chance vs Clem.

You don't have to reply immediately but by Sat am we'll all be feeling pretty confident.

Chiz will have learned that playing dbs so much cushion is suicide. DL will find their balls. Cross will allow swim moves and stunts. These new DBs are the next Deion.

Old Maye is back and we can surmise the right tackle was injured all yr, but finally healthy. Oh, and Longo is going to open the playbook and stop running up the middle on 1st down vs top 10 Ds.

We got this.

In truth, this UNC team is an average team. Won some very close games that could have easily gone the other way. The ACC isn't exactly the strongest league in the history of football, and UNC happened to be the one that was left standing even after two embarrassing losses to end the regular season

Reactions: blazers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT