ADVERTISEMENT

Alex "Can't Miss' Murphy

I don't really think talking about the mental health of someone you don't know is really appropriate for this board. I'm pretty close to some people who have had and still have mental health issues. To assume you can understand and know what he has gone through without actually knowing him sounds pretty arrogant to me.
Let me tell you what is arrogant. It's arrogant to convince a grieving player to continue to play for his team soon after a tragedy for the purpose of winning an NCAA title.

It is a shame how K treated Dawkins and he should be called out by Duke fans. Dawkins sister died in a car accident in December 2009 . He went on to play had a critical role in helping Duke win the NCAA title 3 months later. Bottomline, K gets what he wants. K used his influence to convince Dawkins to continue to play the rest of that season at a time when the kid really needed to take the rest of the season off. But once again, K was only thinking about himself winning a championship and used Dawkins good outside shooting to have him accomplish this. This is typical K only thinking about himself at a time when the kid probably need to take the rest of the season off. Then 2 years later when K has other outside shooters on the roster he forces Dawkins to take a redshirt year. If it smells like a rat and looks like a rat it is a rat. K is the most self-centered coach in NCAA history. As much as the man has accomplished in his career it is never enough. Dawkins sister died in a car accident in December 2009, right in the middle of that championship season. Where was K's sympathy at that time? Kinda weird that K and most Duke fans had no problem with Dawkins playing the rest of that season to help in the championship run. Think about it. There was major tragedy in Dawkins life and the Duke fans could only think about their championship run. You did not hear ANY duke fans calling for Dawkins to take the rest of the season off. But they are so caring about Dawkins health when the K has other outside shooters on the team 2 years later that can easily fill the shooting guard role. K, the Leader of Men and his cult-like followers with clear case of amnesia.

wow steat?....thats kinda how depression works, its gradual....he was supported by his family, friends, and his team....the immediate notion was to continue doing what you are doing, but over time it weighed more and more heavily through the next season as his depression got worse and worse....done with this one steat

Reactions: tarheel0910
First off boogie, really wished more rival fans were as enjoyable to go back & forth with as you are, just wanted you to know that you are welcome and at least respected by me here!

Being fair, it does strike me as being a bit of a lack of maturity on the kids part, I will give you that. Then again, his role should have been made more clear considering he was talked in to giving up his senior season to be a key to being able to tell other recruits they actually had a great PG coming to duke. It smells a lil like the kid was used for his rep of being A great PG and then kinda marginalized once his rep was no longer needed. Put it this way, the keys to the our next great PG car were not exactly given to him when he stepped on campus as they were Ty Jones or Ingram.

thanks dsouth....like dawkins and murphy, he had completed 4 years of hs as well...i believe his role was explained and amile may have been a cog in the pick and roll offense...when he went down, the scheme changed imo....he didnt overtake grayson and brandon nor did he overtake matt and kennard.....he was the 5th guy on the duke totem pole, which aint a bad gig....he a few really good games and overall, a pretty good freshman season

Let me tell you what is arrogant. It's arrogant to convince a grieving player to continue to play for his team soon after a tragedy for the purpose of winning an NCAA title.

his family contributed to the notion of keeping things normal and staying busy with basketball........and in december, duke wasnt heavy title favorites........besides i thought duke won it all in 2010 because of a weak bracket???

Unless someone on this thread is a close family member, friend or his doctor there is really no reason to talk about his mental health. No one on either side of this debate knows what happened and what he went through. Just give it a rest.

wow steat?....thats kinda how depression works, its gradual....he was supported by his family, friends, and his team....the immediate notion was to continue doing what you are doing, but over time it weighed more and more heavily through the next season as his depression got worse and worse....done with this one steat
Boogie, the tragedy is that K took advantage of Dawkins. If K cared so much, he would have made sure Dawkins never played again in the 2009/2010 season and he had the power to do it.

Unless someone on this thread is a close family member, friend or his doctor there is really no reason to talk about his mental health. No one on either side of this debate knows what happened and what he went through. Just give it a rest.
Never when it involves K (The Leader of Men) taking advantage of people. He is a mean, self centered Rat.

Unless someone on this thread is a close family member, friend or his doctor there is really no reason to talk about his mental health..

He played ball at dook so it's relevant. I can name a couple of Tar Heels whose mental faculties have been debated here, and I'm sure elsewhere.

Besides, I question the mental make-up of anyone who chooses to play for that rat bastage. ;)

Never when it involves K (The Leader of Men) taking advantage of people. He is a mean, self centered Rat.
Why can't you get past your hate of K and realize how inappropriate your remarks are? This is a very serious health issue and there is no need to discuss it.

Why can't you get past your hate of K and realize how inappropriate your remarks are? This is a very serious health issue and there is no need to discuss it.

That's not your call. If you don't want to discuss it...don't.

I
Tra, you must be having a bad day. You are better than this.

Screw K for taking advantage of the kid and forcing him to play in the championship season. Didn't notice that you and other Duke fans voicing any sympathy in the championship run. Did Dawkins miss a game that season? K will retire disgruntled old man not breaking Wooden's record... the self centered long - nose Rat... The Leader of Men.

Last edited:
Dawkins had no choice in the redshirt decision. He either had to accept the redshirt year or transfer. As I said several times above, players and their families are afraid to break the CODE. You dare not say anything negative about Duke or K will make sure that you are blackballed, especially if that player not far removed from Duke. Sad, but true.
I'll just agree to disagree, this is going nowhere.

Reactions: heelbent
I'll just agree to disagree, this is going nowhere.
I do agree that you and no other Duke fan can get me to change my opinion about the Rat. So, in that regard stop trying to convince me.

I don't post here much because I'm a Duke fan and this is your board but to blame Dawkins' "mental problems" on K and not the fact that the young man's sister was killed in a car accident is a little ridiculous. I get that you guys hate K, comes with the rivalry, but I don't see how you can suggest that a tragic death in the family and the effects it had on Andre (which are understandable) are somehow his coach's fault.

Good luck to Alex, he never quite lived up to his ranking out of high school which fits some posters narrative about star rankings on this forum... but I get that it won't in this instance.

Not a big fan of getting kids to come early, hasn't worked out much for Duke.

I personally do not want to wade to far in to the Dawkins deal cause how he handles his grief from such a thing isn't really my call, kind of a private thing. I may not be right about this but I seem to recall that when he lost his sister he still played and it was not until the next season came that he red shirted? Now if that is how it happened then it would be strange to play on that season and then wait to red shirt the next season and use his sisters death as the reason. I can certainly understand him not being able to play any more that season if it occurred during his season.

I personally do not want to wade to far in to the Dawkins deal cause how he handles his grief from such a thing isn't really my call, kind of a private thing. I may not be right about this but I seem to recall that when he lost his sister he still played and it was not until the next season came that he red shirted? Now if that is how it happened then it would be strange to play on that season and then wait to red shirt the next season and use his sisters death as the reason. I can certainly understand him not being able to play any more that season if it occurred during his season.
he redshirted his senior year not his sophomore year, i posted an article if you're interested that tells the story.

I've taken Steat to task over his views on Dawkins before as well. And while I agree with @tarheel0910 that Dawkins' situation is a serious and sensitive issue, I wouldn't call for locking the thread. I just ask that poasters tread lightly.

I don't really like K but I won't saddle him with any guilt regarding Dawkins. That seems a bit...over the top. Could he have had a role in Dawkins' mental health issues? Sure. But I'll give K the benefit of the doubt there. However...

I don't know much about her comments so I don't have anything to add to that and I have been discussing Dawkins not Sulaimon.

How do you know Dawkins didn't want to redshirt? Why didn't he transfer if he was forced to redshirt against his will? Why did he come back after getting the help he needed instead of going to another school? Stating what you think happened as a fact doesn't make it a fact. Here is a link to an article on the Dawkins redshirt situation if you're interested:
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/20...e-dawkins-duke-basketball-profile-2013-season

...you duke folks are a finicky bunch. You poast that article as if I'm supposed to believe everything I read? Where was that mentality over the past year when more and more information continued to come to light about the academic scandal and how Roy wouldn't have known? You guys weren't so quick to jump on board with the plethora of articles that came out disputing that. Instead, you chose to celebrate that dipshit Devil DJ at your board with his poasting tweets from people no one has ever heard of and taking his word as law.

So, are we to believe the above article that exonerates K for the Dawkins situation or should I just believe what Steat has poasted here?

I think that, in general, is probably a tough argument to get to stick. This is just my opinion, but I think you could make a compelling argument that players in that size and position range (guys who play a lot of face-up 4 in college and are likely NBA 3's) is where K has had some of his greatest success. Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Mike Dunleavy, Loul Deng, Kyle Singler, Chris Carrawell, Justise Winslow, Jabari Parker, Brandon Ingram, etc. I think if you weigh that scale (4* and 5* stars that worked out vs. ones that didn't), it is going to be overwhelmingly tipped one way.

Had his greatest success in what? Development? Or recruiting? Because he didn't develop jack with the majority of those players. Ingram, Parker, Winslow and Deng were ready made, OAD players. How much could K have developed their games in 8 months? Those guys were going pro after 1 year regardless of where they attended. Mike Dunleavy is a coach's son so I'm pretty sure his dad would take most of the development credit there. Kyle Singler was a top 5 recruit coming out of high school and last year averaged 14 mpg and 3 ppg for the Thunder. So I don't think I'd point to him either as a "development" success. Grant Hill was a freak athlete and super smart guy that most likely would have been successful wherever he attended but I guess I'll let you keep that one. Battier? Sure. Carrawell? Definitely.

...you duke folks are a finicky bunch. You poast that article as if I'm supposed to believe everything I read? Where was that mentality over the past year when more and more information continued to come to light about the academic scandal and how Roy wouldn't have known? You guys weren't so quick to jump on board with the plethora of articles that came out disputing that. Instead, you chose to celebrate that dipshit Devil DJ at your board with his poasting tweets from people no one has ever heard of and taking his word as law.

So, are we to believe the above article that exonerates K for the Dawkins situation or should I just believe what Steat has poasted here?
Believe what you want, not for me to decide what you believe I'm just posting an article with quotes from people close to the situation rather than stating my opinion as fact.

As far as the other stuff goes I never really got into that crap other than to jab at my best friend (life-long UNC fan) and rarely post on our home board. I spend most of my time on the main college basketball board so whatever beef you have with Devil DJ has nothing to do with me or the Andre Dawkins situation.

I and rarely post on our home board.

You're ahead of the game already.

Believe what you want, not for me to decide what you believe I'm just posting an article with quotes from people close to the situation rather than stating my opinion as fact.

Like I said, regardless of what the linked article says (I actually didn't even read it), I'm giving K the benefit of the doubt in that situation. Because you'd have to be a scumbag of the highest order to take advantage of a kid who is grieving the loss of his sister. And while I think K is generally a jerk, I don't see him as a scumbag.

... so whatever beef you have with Devil DJ has nothing to do with me or the Andre Dawkins situation.

No. It doesn't. But whenever I can call that dude a dipshit, I will. And if you're going to be poasting here (which I think you should), you'll need to get used to it. And a whole lot more that comes with my charming personality.

I don't consider much about dook off-limits after seeing some of the garbage posted on their boards concerning UNC, it's coaches and players over the years and I'm certainly not going to tolerate much crying about it from a pile. I stopped going to their boards and any pile that doesn't like something posted here can ignore it or follow suite.

Reactions: Steat
It's a dook fan. I know you're imagination is better than that, lol. I've been reading your stuff for a while. ;)

Reactions: heelmanwilm
his family contributed to the notion of keeping things normal and staying busy with basketball........and in december, duke wasnt heavy title favorites........besides i thought duke won it all in 2010 because of a weak bracket???
Boogie, my conversation has centered around K's actions and the way he handled the situation. Perception is reality. K controls what happens at Duke. He controls the media. K only thinks about himself. He has very little regard about his players if he thinks they are not going to help him win. Dawkins was a key player in the 2009/2010 season. Without Dawkins, Duke would not have won the the 2010 title. Many of your posters have said this. If players don't work out, he forces them out. That's a proven fact. Duke is one of the leaders in players transferring. The way K behaved after the Cuse loss last year at Cameron was a the typical sore loser attitude. That press conference after that game was a low for K. In lieu of shaking the Cuse players hands after the game he ignored them walking through the handshake line pretending to shake their hands. I'm not blaming Dawkins for anything and as I have said several times above I feel sorry for the kid because of how K played mind games with the kid. Then K forces the kid to take a redshirt year or transfer. I got that information from Duke grad that I work closely with in my business. Perhaps the Duke grad was guessing but I believe what he told me. K didn't need Dawkins the year he redshirted, but he sure needed him in the 2010 championship season when outside shooting was a problem. I'm not debating Dawkins mental state as that is outside my job description. My focus is on how K handled the situation, which was grossly self-centered. He convinced Amile Jefferson to come back this year after he was sitting on the bench healthy for the later part of the season. Jefferson was healthy enough to play at the end of the season.

FACT:
Dawkins played immediately after his sister's death and help lead Duke to a NCAA Championship. Most of Duke fans has stated on numerous occasions that without Dawkins Duke would not have won the title. K needed his outside shooting that year.

FACT:
In a year when K had adequate outside shooting, K forces Dawkins to take a redshirt year. There were many rumors that Dawkins was dissatisfied with his playing time the prior year.

Bottomline, this is not about Dawkins mental state, it's about K using Dawkins when Dawkins was needed help him win a championship. When he had an opening to push Dawkins aside when he didn't need him, he pushed him to the curb. K, The Leader of Men, is an egotistical self centered Rat.

I have no problem calling K out and every opportunity I get I'm coming after the Rat and don't care what any Duke fans thinks of it. It

Last edited:
Who do I have to insult to get his thread locked? I can't believe Alex Murphy , Dawkins and Thornton have been disussed for 2 pages not to mention Soulman. They are all out of the conference.

Who do I have to insult to get his thread locked? I can't believe Alex Murphy , Dawkins and Thornton have been disussed for 2 pages not to mention Soulman. They are all out of the conference.

I promise not to twist your arm and force you to click on it, lol.

Seriously, if folks stop posting it will slide down and die.

I must correct you on the names. That's Alex "Can't Miss" Murphy who was touted as the next Kyle Singler. Andre "Bail Out" Dawkins who K convinced to leave high school early -----bailed out K out when needed outside shooting. Thornton got forced out before we could give him a nickname...

Boogie, my conversation has centered around K's actions and the way he handled the situation. Perception is reality. K controls what happens at Duke. He controls the media. K only thinks about himself. He has very little regard about his players if he thinks they are not going to help him win. Dawkins was a key player in the 2009/2010 season. Without Dawkins, Duke would not have won the the 2010 title. Many of your posters have said this. If players don't work out, he forces them out. That's a proven fact. Duke is one of the leaders in players transferring. The way K behaved after the Cuse loss last year at Cameron was a the typical sore loser attitude. That press conference after that game was a low for K. In lieu of shaking the Cuse players hands after the game he ignored them walking through the handshake line pretending to shake their hands. I'm not blaming Dawkins for anything and as I have said several times above I feel sorry for the kid because of how K played mind games with the kid. Then K forces the kid to take a redshirt year or transfer. I got that information from Duke grad that I work closely with in my business. Perhaps the Duke grad was guessing but I believe what he told me. K didn't need Dawkins the year he redshirted, but he sure needed him in the 2010 championship season when outside shooting was a problem. I'm not debating Dawkins mental state as that is outside my job description. My focus is on how K handled the situation, which was grossly self-centered. He convinced Amile Jefferson to come back this year after he was sitting on the bench healthy for the later part of the season. Jefferson was healthy enough to play at the end of the season.

FACT:
Dawkins played immediately after his sister's death and help lead Duke to a NCAA Championship. Most of Duke fans has stated on numerous occasions that without Dawkins Duke would not have won the title. K needed his outside shooting that year.

FACT:
In a year when K had adequate outside shooting, K forces Dawkins to take a redshirt year. There were many rumors that Dawkins was dissatisfied with his playing time the prior year.

Bottomline, this is not about Dawkins mental state, it's about K using Dawkins when Dawkins was needed help him win a championship. When he had an opening to push Dawkins aside when he didn't need him, he pushed him to the curb. K, The Leader of Men, is an egotistical self centered Rat.

I have no problem calling K out and every opportunity I get I'm coming after the Rat and don't care what any Duke fans thinks of it. It
You think Duke had outside shooting issues in 2010?

You think Duke had outside shooting issues in 2010?
Let me put it another way. Dawkins had a certain "skill set" that K rushed Dawkins back. Is that better? In fact, many Duke fans felt that Dawkins had a skill set that help lead them to a title. It's your fans that have said that without Dawkins Duke would not have won the 2010 title. Bottomline, the Leader of Men used Dawkins.

Let me put it another way. Dawkins had a certain "skill set" that K rushed Dawkins back. Is that better? In fact, many Duke fans felt that Dawkins had a skill set that help lead them to a title. It's your fans that have said that without Dawkins Duke would not have won the 2010 title.
No i agree that Dawkins helped, said that in this thread already, just was clarifying cause Duke pretty much lived by the 3 that year.

Oh, that's Rasheed "Hunchback" Suliamon ... had to be one of the ugliest players ever to play at Duke behind Kyle "Lurch" Singler.

And it matters why?

Umm,...because when you debate a topic, one must present evidence of his or her case.

Was that a serious question?

This thread has devolved into a -2 star thread. It started off as a zero star thread and has gone downhill from there. It's purposeless, baseless and baiting. Oh, and ridiculously inaccurate. And stupid. Inane. Just an overall terrible thread. I wish it was never poasted and I grow more and more embarrassed by the minute that I've had anything whatsoever to do with it. Years from now, our descendants will cite this thread when discussing the worst message board threads of all time. In fact, I predict that my great, great grandson will poast a Rank 'em thread on some message board in the future asking other poasters to rank the worst message board threads of all time and this one will win hands down.

Agree this thread has gone to the dogs.... But please tell me, what the heck is a poast?

As
I don't consider much about dook off-limits after seeing some of the garbage posted on their boards concerning UNC, it's coaches and players over the years and I'm certainly not going to tolerate much crying about it from a pile. I stopped going to their boards and any pile that doesn't like something posted here can ignore it or follow suite.

Post of the year.

This thread has devolved into a -2 star thread. It started off as a zero star thread and has gone downhill from there. It's purposeless, baseless and baiting. Oh, and ridiculously inaccurate. And stupid. Inane. Just an overall terrible thread. I wish it was never poasted and I grow more and more embarrassed by the minute that I've had anything whatsoever to do with it. Years from now, our descendants will cite this thread when discussing the worst message board threads of all time. In fact, I predict that my great, great grandson will poast a Rank 'em thread on some message board in the future asking other poasters to rank the worst message board threads of all time and this one will win hands down.

08e8c1172af5d29f854d083fc808da16.jpg

Agree this thread has gone to the dogs.... But please tell me, what the heck is a poast?
That's spelling used on some msg boards. I used it here and caught flack so I went back to post. Not a big deal. I'm not big on calling out posters for spelling or grammar but for some reason folks who spell yeah "yea" drives me a little nuts (short trip).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT