ADVERTISEMENT

Aluminum Bats, Why?

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
Hey guys. I've dabbled in Carolina baseball over the past 5-6 years (really started paying attention during that first championship series run where we eventually lost to Ore. St., whenever that was), but I'm trying to get more into college baseball in general. Like y'all on here, I enjoyed Carolina's run this year.

My question is why aluminum bats? I stopped playing the game around middle school age, but I have good friends who played throughout high school and played collegiately. The sense I get from them is that hitting with aluminum bats does not prepare you for the transition to wooden bats as a Major/minor leaguer. I even remember one of the TV announcers talking about Moran during one of the playoff games (I think it was Super Regional, but I'm not sure) and said that Moran was fortunate because his stance (?) or how he held his hands (?) meant that his transition to wooden bats at the next level would be easier than it is for most players.

So, my question is why? I know college has used aluminum bats forever, but why use them when it's not what the pros use? I mean, I know the vast majority of college ball players won't go pro, so they don't "need" to use wooden bats to prep for the next level, but I'd like to get y'alls thoughts on it.

I have heard 2 reasons given. The first is that wooden bats break more often, so it is a cost issue. The second, which seems more likely to me, is that most of the players aren't good enough to swing a wooden bat. If all college players had to swing wood, we would have way more Ks and 1-0 ball games.

These guys have grown up all their life swinging metal. If they suddenly had to switch to wood, they would have no chance.

But I may be completely wrong. Hopefully one of the guys in the know will chime in, because I am curious as well.

Unc71- you are exactly correct. Cost is the absolute #1 reason and there is no close secondary reason.

Originally posted by niketour2:
Unc71- you are exactly correct. Cost is the absolute #1 reason and there is no close secondary reason.
Yup, $$$$$

Although knowing the NCAA, they probably presented the dangers of broken wooden bats (someone could lose an eye!) under the guise of acting in the best interests of the student-athlete. Hah!

There's an additional, much less obvious, but equally influential reason: Since all professional teams use wood, the bat manufacturers look to college programs to endorse their expensive, highly lucrative metal bats. In return, the college programs receive generous compensation in terms of both dollars and equipment.

As long as virtually every issue of "Baseball America" and other sports publications contain full page, metal bat ads featuring a college coach and/or list of schools that use their bats, the college game will continue to use metal. The relationship is very symbiotic.

Originally posted by RCW1126:
There's an additional, much less obvious, but equally influential reason: Since all professional teams use wood, the bat manufacturers look to college programs to endorse their expensive, highly lucrative metal bats. In return, the college programs receive generous compensation in terms of both dollars and equipment.

As long as virtually every issue of "Baseball America" and other sports publications contain full page, metal bat ads featuring a college coach and/or list of schools that use their bats, the college game will continue to use metal. The relationship is very symbiotic.
Very very interesting. I didn't know this. Thanks! Apologies if this is a dumb question but do college teams ever do wooden bat tournaments? I think that would be a cool thing to see.

Also Tarheelnation. The really good players like a Moran during the summer after the NCAA World Series go to summer leagues. And in those leagues that get to use wooden bats. An Example is The Cape Cod Leauge.

The Aluminum bats that have been used for the past 2 seasons are much closer to the wooden bat and try to immulate the ball sped off a wooden bat

Originally posted by all4dukes:
The BBCOR bat has reduced home runs by 50% and a also a significant reduction in runs scored.
Good, I like lower scoring games.

While it is true that aluminum bats go dead sometimes, it is still cheaper than replacing wooden bats which get broken far more easily and often. Cost is the main reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT