ADVERTISEMENT

We Already Have Too Many Players. Time to Stop Recruiting?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
At least that's what Cal might tell us. Not that we care what he thinks, but he does make some sense.

"You may think I'm crazy, but I told my staff I only want to have eight or nine guys," Calipari told Robinson, who is now executive director of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. "They're leaving anyway, and why would I develop a kid for someone else? Why would I do that?"

Calipari said he wants to use the other roster spots for walk-ons and rely on those non-scholarship players and graduate assistants to help the team prepare for its opponents next season.

"I want those [graduate assistants] to have played in Europe or just got done playing and can still play," he said. "We can use them in practice. The women's programs have five guys that they call 'managers,' but that's who they scrimmage against. Maybe I do it that way. We have some walk-ons, we have some [graduate assistants], we have eight or nine guys and that's it. And if there is a 10th guy, he knows he's the 10th guy."

I think 10 is the magic number moving forward…You have walk on tryouts and take the best 3 and give those kids get a scholarship ….

And the walk on thing is year to year…Those 3 have to earn it every year…

I think 10 is the magic number moving forward…You have walk on tryouts and take the best 3 and give those kids get a scholarship ….

And the walk on thing is year to year…Those 3 have to earn it every year…
Ten might be the perfect number in the new era. But that assumes you have mostly ready-to-play potential starters.

How many question marks can you have, if you have only 8 or 9 or even 10 players?

For example, how many guys on our current squad of 10 are we confident are legit ACC-caliber starters?

I mean we obviously will have 5 starters. We have at least 5 guys who can start, after all. But that's not necessarily the same as saying we think they are serious ACC-caliber starters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT