ADVERTISEMENT

Any Collagen Takers Here?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
You might want to reconsider.

I've seen some YouTube influencers that I respect touting the benefits of collagen but I've never seen the appeal. It's protein, so why not just eat good "regular" protein, was my view.

I mean it all gets broken down into amino acids, so steak, salmon or even plant protein should be at least as good or better, right?

Well, apparently there's some reason to think that collagen may not be entirely broken down and some may get into the blood stream, where, in theory, it could be picked up for direct use in ligaments, skin and whatnot.

So should you take collagen?

Probably not.

Supplements are tricky... they are based on theory since the testing doesn't seem great. Combine this with the fact that supplements are not regulated, so the quality of whatever you are getting might also be theoretical.

I'm getting more and more achy and creaky. Any scoop on CoQ10 or other joint health type stuff?

And do we know if that Dr stayed at a Holiday Inn?

Supplements are tricky... they are based on theory since the testing doesn't seem great. Combine this with the fact that supplements are not regulated, so the quality of whatever you are getting might also be theoretical.

I'm getting more and more achy and creaky. Any scoop on CoQ10 or other joint health type stuff?

And do we know if that Dr stayed at a Holiday Inn?
That's Holiday Inn Express!

The whole health market is somewhat dicey it seems. Vitamins, supplements, herbs, etc. And with big pharm and their lobbying power, who knows? You're scared to do something, you're scared not to do something.

Reactions: blazers
I’m not familiar with it but in my experience whenever you delve into these supplements and so on you realize that it’s all just a wannabee substitute for eating properly. You gotta look at what hundreds of thousands of years of evolution have made our brains and bodies dependent upon. Not being judgmental, I ate a Cajun filet biscuit for breakfast and will drink too much alcohol this evening.

I’m not familiar with it but in my experience whenever you delve into these supplements and so on you realize that it’s all just a wannabee substitute for eating properly. *You gotta look at what hundreds of thousands of years of evolution have made our brains and bodies dependent upon. *Not being judgmental, I ate a Cajun filet biscuit for breakfast and will drink too much alcohol this evening.
*this is why I often synch with you in spite of some glaring differences of opinion. You hit the nail squarely on the head here, and it's really just common sense.

*We have to consider our mental well-being as well as our physical health. This seems like a healthy balance to me.

As for collagen, the collagen broken down in the slow and low heat of BBQ (or braising or any other method of breaking it down), especially if supplemented and catalyzed by the addition of apple cider vinegar, is the key to a long and happy life. Serious. Collagen and vinegar is good for you. In supplement form, maybe not. Who knows.

• Love
Reactions: heelmanwilm
For real, I’ve come to the conclusion that if I drop something or see something on the ground, it has to be worth around $3 to make it worthwhile to pick up. Pens, lighters, dollar bills….fuk it. Ain’t worth it.
I'm LMAO, and I'm sure you understand why.

• Haha
Reactions: heelmanwilm
I’m not familiar with it but in my experience whenever you delve into these supplements and so on you realize that it’s all just a wannabee substitute for eating properly. You gotta look at what hundreds of thousands of years of evolution have made our brains and bodies dependent upon. Not being judgmental, I ate a Cajun filet biscuit for breakfast and will drink too much alcohol this evening.
Sadly, some of our agricultural practices result in declining levels of some nutrients - as soils gets depleted of minerals and whatnot. On top of that, as some crop-raising moves north due to climate change, there will be reduction of protein and other nutrients in plants. And then there are some nutrients that many people don't get enough of without supplementation. The ones I hear about most these days are magnesium, vitamin D and B12 (especially among those eating less meat).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT