ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon: ACC coaches talk anonymously

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
about other ACC teams

For me, the most interesting quote on UNC is this one: ""Larry Fedora was really close to turning it around, but he might have lost the locker room in the process."

Of course, I was saying the same thing even before the 2015 season started and kept saying it, and so was not shocked that the team foundered badly to close 2016. I did not expect a Bunting level low of 5 wins over 2 seasons, but I did feel fully confident that Fedora had screwed his own tenure all to Hell and that the 11 wins in 2015 could not alter the eventual big downfall.

Of course, I was saying the same thing even before the 2015 season started and kept saying it, and so was not shocked that the team foundered badly to close 2016.
Try not to dislocate your shoulder. The average tenure for an FBS football coach is 3.8 years, but you think predicting in 2014 that Fedora would eventually fail makes you Nostradamus. LOL.

Of course you also said stupid shit like this:
I can't figure how anybody other than a relative or best bud or former coach of Williams could fail to see that the QB carrying the ball so much more than any RB is very bad for the offense, doubly so against any team with enough talent on D to cause us trouble. It is not as bad as the whole set of problems on D, but it also would keep us from winning championships if we had the D to be able to win.
You win some, you lose some.

For the hundredth time, we get it. You didn't like Fedora. You didn't like Williams. Get a new hobby already.

Anyway, there’s not much in those quotes many of us would disagree with. I like this yearly feature from Athlon because it provides objective criticism. The lead quote only serves to explain why so many fans were torn about whether to dump Fedora. Could he have turned it around given one more year? We’ll never know, but the way Mack’s tenure has started I’m excited about CAROLINA football again.

It wasn't a matter of "not liking Fedora". He had his fair shot and he failed to get the job done. He burned the bridges between UNC and the high school coaches in our state. He continued to try and run a high paced offense when his defense was in shambles and couldn't be expected to hold up their end of the equation. His teams were consistently undisciplined. He called some of the most boneheaded plays in crucial situations that I've ever seen called. His own arrogance was his undoing.

And this from a guy who initially had very high hopes for Fedora.

As you stated, Fed is water under the proverbial bridge. Lets let sleeping dogs lie and look forward to a brighter future. If it comes under Mack's tenure, so be it. If not, "Le roi est mort, vive le roi!"

Reactions: heelfan1961
about other ACC teams

For me, the most interesting quote on UNC is this one: ""Larry Fedora was really close to turning it around, but he might have lost the locker room in the process."

Of course, I was saying the same thing even before the 2015 season started and kept saying it, and so was not shocked that the team foundered badly to close 2016. I did not expect a Bunting level low of 5 wins over 2 seasons, but I did feel fully confident that Fedora had screwed his own tenure all to Hell and that the 11 wins in 2015 could not alter the eventual big downfall.

So you were saying Fedora lost the locker room before 2015, and think you were proved correct by us going 11-1(8-0) and winning the Coastal while the best QB in program history broke 40+ school records??

Even the past two years it was very clear he never lost the locker room. Those kids showed up and competed every weekend. If you want to see losing the locker room go look at Louisville box scores over the last 7 games of last year. Fed did a lot wrong, but his players never quit on him.

I was often amazed at how our teams would often comeback during a game and make it close in the 4th quarter. it never looked like the coaches had lost the players but something was wrong. I cannot imagine where the program would be today if Fedora had stayed. I think we had nine commitments when Mack came in. And with the comments of many recruits that they were not even giving UNC a look, it would have been scary for years to come.

That’s the problem. People are bored with, and sick of watching the dead horse get beaten. Especially when the person doing the beating keeps telling everyone about how they knew the horse was about to die.

Good point. I will do my part.

about other ACC teams

@WoadBlue please stop going on about Fedora. It's annoying the shit out of everybody. K thanks bye.

We all know that Larry is no longer the HC and I am excited about the season for the first time in two years. However, I did find the original quote from the article interesting. And I am still curious about how things went from good to awful so quickly. Just like all threads don’t read it if not interested and block posters you don’t like.

"North Carolina as a state has become a huge battleground in the ACC. They pull some defensive linemen away from Clemson and those guys and you’ll know they’re hitting it the right way."

Looks like that’s what we’re doing too.

That’s the problem. People are bored with, and sick of watching the dead horse get beaten. Especially when the person doing the beating keeps telling everyone about how they knew the horse was about to die.

Some of us knew Bunting was doomed when he was introduced as Head Football Coach and he was wearing a dark brown shirt.
Larry showed his true colors when he embarrassed a prominent Rams Club doner at a Greensboro function before he had ever coached a game in BKS. And then had the audacity to bring the situation up every year at the annual function. Larry started out being a jerk, and he never did anything to make me change my opinion of him. The worst part is that Bubba was there, he must have known Larry was an a**h*** when he hired him and let that behavior go on through out his tenure. Either Bubba couldn't find anyone else to take the job or he didn't know what he was doing. Either way, I do not trust him with our Athletic Department moving forward.

Larry showed his true colors when he embarrassed a prominent Rams Club doner at a Greensboro function before he had ever coached a game in BKS. And then had the audacity to bring the situation up every year at the annual function.
What did he do?

Either Bubba couldn't find anyone else to take the job or he didn't know what he was doing. Either way, I do not trust him with our Athletic Department moving forward.
That's quite a leap from "Fedora was a jerk." Since Bubba arrived, UNC has won something like 10 national championships and improved its APR every season, created the Rammys, and implemented a strategic, multi-million dollar master plan for athletic facilities. I won't give him credit for our continued success in the Directors Cup, but there hasn't been any drop off either. What exactly is your issue with him?

What did he do?

That's quite a leap from "Fedora was a jerk." Since Bubba arrived, UNC has won something like 10 national championships and improved its APR every season, created the Rammys, and implemented a strategic, multi-million dollar master plan for athletic facilities. I won't give him credit for our continued success in the Directors Cup, but there hasn't been any drop off either. What exactly is your issue with him?
He's probably upset that Bubba didn't hire someone to run the triple option.

I think Miami is going to be tough, the portal certainly helps them according to these coaches. Trevon Hill, Bubba Bolden, that DT from ucla. Diaz typically has a solid D, and I bet they'll be top-20 again.

I think Miami is going to be tough, the portal certainly helps them according to these coaches. Trevon Hill, Bubba Bolden, that DT from ucla. Diaz typically has a solid D, and I bet they'll be top-20 again.
There’s no doubt they have the best talent in the Coastal, they’ve just been lacking the staff to coach them up.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Heaven help us if they get it. I like what Mack is doing in recruiting but Miami has a big head start.
Even when they’re a very mediocre team, they keep reeling in top 10 recruiting classes. It’s only a matter of time before they get a good coach and become a top 10 program again. The talent is there right now.

So Mack’s hiring, and the associated recruiting success, couldn’t have come at a better time. I hope Diaz isn’t the answer for them and Mack can get our program running on all cylinders before Miami learns that Diaz isn’t the right man. Winning early and often would certainly help our program but this year could be a tough start.

I think a 6-6 regular season with a minor bowl victory to finish 7-6 would be a great start.

Miami recruits itself to a large extent. What's not to like about the beaches, the nightlife, the women, etc. It's not a hard sell!

Reactions: Archer2
Miami recruits itself to a large extent. What's not to like about the beaches, the nightlife, the women, etc. It's not a hard sell!

Butch used to talk about the "State of Miami". An area that extended from the southern tip of Florida almost up to the Orlando area. Florida State or Florida never got the top players out of that area, Miami had it locked down.
There is a lot of talent there and if the 'Canes can get the first pick they will be dangerous. The problem for Miami is that the area is being recruited by many more programs now than it was 20-30 years ago.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
...The problem for Miami is that the area is being recruited by many more programs now than it was 20-30 years ago.
if mack can lock down the state of nc, and establish a strong presence in tidewater va, we'll be fine. that's why our most important games are against in-state schools, plus uva and va tech.

Reactions: Archer2
It wasn't a matter of "not liking Fedora". He had his fair shot and he failed to get the job done....He called some of the most boneheaded plays in crucial situations that I've ever seen called....
also, his game plans were nonsensical, with no half-time adjustments. the idea that fedora was "close" to getting it done at unc is a fantasy.

Butch used to talk about the "State of Miami". An area that extended from the southern tip of Florida almost up to the Orlando area. Florida State or Florida never got the top players out of that area, Miami had it locked down.
There is a lot of talent there and if the 'Canes can get the first pick they will be dangerous. The problem for Miami is that the area is being recruited by many more programs now than it was 20-30 years ago.
If Richt struggled in Miami, I don’t see how Diaz won’t either. I think there are some systemic issues in Miami working against football. Academics, past scandals, and fan support.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Playing in a stadium that's approximately a three days drive from campus doesn't help.
Perhaps, and they have professional sports to compete with as well. But it wasn’t an issue when their program was a juggernaut back in the day, and I don’t think it will be today when they get rolling again. And they will, it’s just a matter of time. I feel the same about FSU.

Perhaps, and they have professional sports to compete with as well. But it wasn’t an issue when their program was a juggernaut back in the day, and I don’t think it will be today when they get rolling again. And they will, it’s just a matter of time. I feel the same about FSU.
Wasn't the orange bowl on campus? The issue with an off campus site is getting the students there. You can't have that college atmosphere without the students.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT