ADVERTISEMENT

Ball or Wiseman?

MWHeels

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
The NBA draft is coming up on Wednesday. These two seem like the favorites to go 1-2. Which player would you take with the first pick? Obviously the roster can impact a decision, but assume it's just just based on talent and good you think they will be in the NBA.

The NBA draft is coming up on Wednesday. These two seem like the favorites to go 1-2. Which player would you take with the first pick? Obviously the roster can impact a decision, but assume it's just just based on talent and good you think they will be in the NBA.

Me, I am a big man guy so I am do not see things like todays NBA does. To me, a quality big man is the game changer and Wiseman checks off a LOT of my boxes, I take him with the #1 pick. I think Toppin is fools gold, not as sold on Edwards, and my 10foot pole does not let be touch a Ball relative.

Reactions: MWHeels
I think Wiseman could be a great fit for the Warriors if they decide to keep the pick.

Edwards will produce the quickest as he will go to Charlotte where there are no true Stars..

Wiseman. This is more a knock on Ball, If i'm wrong it will not be the first time. Ball is a terrible shooter, who continues to shoot. People knock Ben Simmons for not shooting, but the guy doesn't jack up shots and miss either. Ball will keep on shooting until he hits two in a row, and the internet proclaims him to be great! I've seen him make some nice passes, but in comparison to his brothers passing ability, I just don't see it. Ball needs to check out Ben Simmons game and copy it the best he can, and understand no NBA coach is going to allow someone to take shot after shot and miss. I see a long road for Ball, but a high ceiling if it works!

Cole Anthony is your PG out of this class, I love that Cole came to UNC and sorry we did not have the team we usually have, but Cole although has some flaws the things I think he will excel right from the start in is being a floor general. Cole is a good shooter, when he is not forced to take every shot. Take Cole over Ball!

Edwards IMHO is the most ready player, Wiseman has the most potential, with Ball a close second in potential (Can't deny his size)

Neither.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
I would take Anthony Edwards over both of them! This draft is super weak..I think there’s a good chance someone mid to late first round ends up being the best player!
I saw Edwards play in person 6 times this past season, and all I can say is that his high projected draft staus is case-in-point that the NBA drafts "potential".
He has prototype size and athleticism for an NBA 2-Guard.
His actual game? Nowhere near what it needs to be. His shot is inconsistent at best and he doesnt play a lick o' D.

On the other side of that, Cole is far more NBA-ready than Edwards. The scuttlebutt that he's not an NBA PG is just silly. In fact, he's more of an NBA 1 than a college 1.

But yeah, I 100% agree --- this draft is super weak.

How is Cole doing in his workouts? I to agree on this being a weak draft! If Cole slips out of the lottery, which I guess is possible, I am positive he will be the name that comes up as the best pick by a really good team. I know Minnesota will not take him at #1, but if you can team him with a big man like Townes he could be solid.

Knock on Cole to me is I thought he was a freakish athlete and he is not that, but if he can be your 2nd or probarly more like your third best player and floor leader you have a solid player.

I hope you guys are right, been a lot of conjecture that Cole can slip into the 20's. Hayes, Lewis and Halliburton as well as Ball seem to be much more coveted as point guards.

Last edited:
Wiseman. I am old school too and I firmly believe you build from the inside out! Kid could be a true beast and very quickly! Cole is the PG I would want from this draft because he is committed to the D! I like a floor general that takes it personally when his dude scores! I think too many peeps are holding Daddy Ball against the Ball kids! He has taken a real backseat and isn't in the news any more. Ball is going to be really good as a pro. His shot isn't nearly as broken as Big Bro's!

How is Cole doing in his workouts? I to agree on this being a weak draft! If Cole slips out of the lottery, which I guess is possible, I am positive he will be the name that comes up as the best pick by a really good team. I know Minnesota will not take him at #1, but if you can team him with a big man like Townes he could be solid.

Knock on Cole to me is I thought he was a freakish athlete and he is not that, but if he can be your 2nd or probarly more like your third best player and floor leader you have a solid player.
He is most defintiely a freakish athlete.

Depends on the team. If I’m the wolves, I go Edwards. Plug him at the 2 and Russell at the 1.

warriors or Charlotte, I’m taking wiseman 💯

I saw Edwards play in person 6 times this past season, and all I can say is that his high projected draft staus is case-in-point that the NBA drafts "potential".
His actual game? Nowhere near what it needs to be. His shot is inconsistent at best and he doesnt play a lick o' D.

On the other side of that, Cole is far more NBA-ready than Edwards. The scuttlebutt that he's not an NBA PG is just silly. In fact, he's more of an NBA 1 than a college 1.

First off, totally agree Cole's game is much better suited for the NBA than it was for the college game and most definitely considering how Roy wants his teams to play. He is just more of a one on one player than facilitator first PG. @While many didn't like it, I talked about this last season.

Edwards, agree as well, the potential is there but the question is does he ever realize that potential, can he add to that natural ability the needed skill to get to that next level you expect from a lotto guy? You can either shoot or you can't, you can have that passion to defend or not, can be a guy that crashes the boards for rebounds or not. Potential means it looks like a guy may have the ability within but it is no guarantee that it happens. LOT of kids now days get by on natural ability but when you get to a place where EVERYONE has a similar level of natural ability it is on the player to put in the work that may take them to an even higher level. A structure like we run, like a lot of college programs do has a way of showing a kid how much he really needs to work on as opposed to covering up their flaws just to get a high draft spot.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The more I watch, the more I feel Ball will be the one to build around in Charlotte! I'm pretty sure he will fall to them at this point even though I also believe AE will not prove to be worth the #1 pick! I think the order of likely stardom in the top 3 is:

Ball
Wiseman
AE

I think it is equally likely that Cole A becomes a franchise PG for the team with the guts to make the pick! Boy I hope he doesn't go to the Knicks or some other dysfunctional organization!

So... @dadika13 what are you hearing about the Knicks from up your way?

If Obi is there, they are going to take him (which I would hate). I think he's a 22 year old solid college player who is more like 6'6'' playing the 4 spot. No thanks.

They need someone who can play off the ball next to RJ. RJ is a guy who right now is limited to only really being effective with the ball in his hands so they really need a wing who can come off screens or spot up when Mitch draws attention down low.

I've seen Haliburton drop in some mocks and would love that but I don't think it's likely. I really like Bey from Nova but that could be my bias in just liking Villanova kids. With that 2nd first round pick I'm hoping they move up to take Cole. Him slipping in this draft is ridiculous, he's going to be a very good NBA PG.

Should I be happy or upset if the Knicks take Okoro? I only saw him once or twice and looks like a good athlete who can defend.

Also, some odd stories coming out about Edwards. He seems like a weird guy.

Last edited:

Cole Anthony? Hell, you still believe Joel Berry is an NBA point guard.

I don't follow NBA much anymore, just cannot get into watching isolation ball every time down, but would love to see Bulls take Anthony. Would be interesting to see the backcourt that could have been.

Bulls are close to trading Wendell Carter and the #4 for the #2 with the intention of drafting Wiseman.

If Obi is there, they are going to take him (which I would hate). I think he's a 22 year old solid college player who is more like 6'6'' playing the 4 spot. No thanks.

They need someone who can play off the ball next to RJ. RJ is a guy who right now is limited to only really being effective with the ball in his hands so they really need a wing who can come off screens or spot up when Mitch draws attention down low.

I've seen Haliburton drop in some mocks and would love that but I don't think it's likely. I really like Bey from Nova but that could be my bias in just liking Villanova kids. With that 2nd first round pick I'm hoping they move up to take Cole. Him slipping in this draft is ridiculous, he's going to be a very good NBA PG.

Should I be happy or upset if the Knicks take Okoro? I only saw him once or twice and looks like a good athlete who can defend.

Okoro is a beast. Still raw offensively but can already defend several positions. Big upside.

Reactions: dadika13
First off, totally agree Cole's game is much better suited for the NBA than it was for the college game and most definitely considering how Roy wants his teams to play. He is just more of a one on one player than facilitator first PG. @While many didn't like it, I talked about this last season.

Edwards, agree as well, the potential is there but the question is does he ever realize that potential, can he add to that natural ability the needed skill to get to that next level you expect from a lotto guy? You can either shoot or you can't, you can have that passion to defend or not, can be a guy that crashes the boards for rebounds or not. Potential means it looks like a guy may have the ability within but it is no guarantee that it happens. LOT of kids now days get by on natural ability but when you get to a place where EVERYONE has a similar level of natural ability it is on the player to put in the work that may take them to an even higher level. A structure like we run, like a lot of college programs do has a way of showing a kid how much he really needs to work on as opposed to covering up their flaws just to get a high draft spot.
Edwards just caused a stink by saying some things that sounded like he didn't really love the game. Maybe out of context but teams get skittish pretty quick these days.

I don't follow the NBA very much but from the comments I have heard coming from Ball, his past reputation coupled with his family reputation I would stay away from him for sure. I don't think there would be much harmony and teamwork on a team with him as your leader and a coaches nightmare as well. Perhaps I am wrong here but I do know that one guy can destroy a team and that's what my concern would be here.

I put that ignoramus Hotfrom3 on ignore a while ago! I will say the morons who spend time trolling rival sites seem to be dwindling. I hope this particular type of fool will soon be extinct so the adults can actually have intelligent conversations!

Welp, Magic got a steal. Joining Auburn's Chuma Okeke (who had that awful injury in the NCAAT game) who''ll be ready this coming season.

Welp, Magic got a steal. Joining Auburn's Chuma Okeke (who had that awful injury in the NCAAT game) who''ll be ready this coming season.

Cole and Mo Bamba are very close so I’m sure that will help him with the transition down there.

Reactions: gary-7
Cole Anthony was the first from the Blue Bloods to be drafted, ahead of his counterparts at dook, KU, and UK. This is despite not having as good a year as those from the other schools. Orlando has drafted them a bucket. Can’t wait. 😊

Nice landing spot for Cole, and a bit higher then his projection. Good night overall for him. Now go get it !!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I am not surprised how far Cole Anthony dropped. He seems like he learned his game precisely from Carmelo. It's ISO jump shooting. Except he doesn't have the size or athleticism of Carmelo.

I think Cole will be a bust even at his draft position. I am very down on Cole. I like him because he was a heel. But, I was very disappointed based on the hype.

He might be able to carve out a Baron Davis esque career. But, I am not really expecting it.

Reactions: midline
Hornets select Ball. I love Jordan but I hope they lose every damn game this season. Holy shit...can't believe they would take him. I would loved Okoro or Williams from FSU. Maybe BBB can start up again and team with Jordan Brand and call themselves Jordan's Bigger than Baller Brand.

The Pat Williams pick at #4 screams the new NBA developmental focus. The new GM loves how Florida State players are versitile defenders. Can guard point to the blocks. Said his skill was better then reported, but his versatility put him above others.

The fact that at 19 their developmental team can mold him to the NBA demands gave a huge advantage over a guy like Toppin, who at 22 still needs NBA a development program, as well

Many teams, most, feel they are better off developing skill sets needed in the NBA, opposed to a guy playing to a college skill level and strategies.

I am not surprised how far Cole Anthony dropped. He seems like he learned his game precisely from Carmelo. It's ISO jump shooting. Except he doesn't have the size or athleticism of Carmelo.

I think Cole will be a bust even at his draft position. I am very down on Cole. I like him because he was a heel. But, I was very disappointed based on the hype.

He might be able to carve out a Baron Davis esque career. But, I am not really expecting it.

Bust? No way. Superstar? I don't see that right now. Cole is as solid as they come. One thing I have noticed with one and done players is that they have usually in year 3 in the NBA turned out to be exactly what there high school rankings say they were. Cole had to push the limits last year because there was nobody to pass the ball to. I did have a wrong expectation of what kind of PG he was coming to Carolina, I originally thought he was a Derrick Rose/Westbrook kind of a player, but I see him now as more of a Chauncey Billups. I know his 3 point percentage was low, but I really believe this guy can shoot.

Besides Wisemen I don't see any superstars in this draft.

What does Carmelo have to do with Cole?

What does Carmelo have to do with Cole?
They have the same play style? He also trained with Carmelo, so it's possible that is why he learned that style?

Carmelo became a black hole for teams and people considered him as a detriment despite his numbers in the NBA for many teams. Cole seems to follow the same mold. Too much iso contested jump shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT