ADVERTISEMENT

Good plays, not-so-good plays from the Michigan State game

NathanFielder

Freshman
Mar 18, 2024
I'll start by saying these GIFs are skewed because I got them from the game highlights. So those highlights will generally be scoring plays or blocked shots. We obviously played well on both sides to get a convincing win. I'm just taking what I had access to.

Starting with the positives:
The defense lays off of Cadeau from the 3PT line. After Ingram gets the ball to Bacot, Cadeau sets a screen for an open Ingram 3. High IQ play from Cadeau as his defender was in no-man's land. His defender did a poor job not aggressively doubling Bacot, but heady play by Cadeau. A few times per game, this should be an option to counter defenses giving Cadeau a ton of space.

Terrific post play by Bacot. He knows the double is coming from the middle and spins baseline. Great cut by Ingram on the weakside wing that occupies Ryan's defender when Ryan heads to the corner. Good timing on the cut. Bacot with a nice pass for the corner 3. Excellent cut by Ingram.

Although this was a bucket, I thought it was defended pretty well. Clearly the gameplan was to not double, but good job by Ingram IMO to get Hall to dribble towards his help defender (Bacot). This didn't happen the entire game as will be documented. But despite the score, I thought this was defended well. However, it takes a lot of discipline to keep defending that way even if your opponent is scoring.

Just wanted to add this set play for RJ that leads to a Washington put back jam. Clearly a play Hubert likes. It's a play he goes to a lot when he feels like he needs a bucket. We'll see this several times. Love the pace RJ comes off the stagger. And I like that RJ starts from the corner then goes in a couple of steps, then runs off the screen. That way, his defender can't go over the first screen (Cadeau), then under the second screen (Ingram). He has to go under both, which puts him in a trailing position. Good action with good details.

Awesome pass from Cadeau. Might have been my favorite one from him this season. Seeing the game in advance. Just an awesome pass.

Negatives:
I'll stack a few back-to-back. The post defender allowing Hall to spin away from the help. Post defender got caught on the wrong side, leaning to his help defender. Hall easily allowed to spin and finish without the help being able to arrive. I don't know if this is how they teach it. Maybe the scouting report was to keep Hall away from hook shooting over his left shoulder at all costs. But generally, you want the offensive player going towards the help.
Withers:

Ingram:

Really bad gamble by RJ here. Maybe slightly excusable because of the score. But gambles, then loses. Then Bacot allows the ball handler to split him and the screener. Not good all around but can't gamble like that unless you're 100% going to come up with the ball.

Poor positioning by Ingram at the near corner. Back turned to the driver so he couldn't help. Malik Hall is a good player, but you don't need to be turning your back to the basket to defend him from 3. Poor help position. Was never really in a defensive stance here.

I saw this all game so I'm guessing it's how Hubert coaches defending down screens and curls. But no jam here from Ingram on the screen. That puts RJ in a difficult position. Offensive player gets a pretty easy look off this. Again, I don't know if that's how they teach it, but no jam whatsoever.

A basic one here. Ryan lets the ball handler reject the screen. Forces Cadeau to help and leads to an open 3. Can't let the ball handle refuse the screen. Don't lean to the screen. Force the offensive player to use the screen. That's where your help is.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT