ADVERTISEMENT

Bennett retires at UVA

I’m going to preface this by saying I apologize for the following comment if this is health related.

Maybe Virginia realized it’s best to try and score more than 50 points to win a college basketball game.

He is sick at what college bball has become....getting out like Wright k roy....it is a mess he wants nothing to do with
I agree, and all these great coaches hanging it up early just shows what a crap show it really is. They have plenty of money and makes since to me. Why deal with all of it for sure. Great man and coach.

Read that UVA players have a 30-day transfer portal window. I imagine that would allow them to enroll (play) in January elsewhere (semester is half-over). Would they still be able to play for UVA this semester though?

NIL - can you blame anyone for getting out? It's a different world and presently there must be little joy in coaching.
Bennett often seemed to build his teams around redshirts or other late-developing players. Hard to hold onto them in this transfer portal world. So you lose people just when they're ready. And the people you might pick up in the portal to replace them may not be able to adapt to his style in a single year, since they are unlikely to be familiar with it.

Weeks before the season without an interim in place tells me it’s not a stance on what bball has become. If so that would be a shyt way to treat the current team. He doesn’t seem like that kind of guy. I would think something serious in his personal life.

Weeks before the season without an interim in place tells me it’s not a stance on what bball has become. If so that would be a shyt way to treat the current team. He doesn’t seem like that kind of guy. I would think something serious in his personal life.
It's his life and choice... but, the timing is really strange. I can understand that he may dislike the way the kids have newer opportunities and options that don't align with his style of building teams. I understand why all of the older coaches left. Bennett is much younger than them, but still very old school. If he's just up and leaving on impulse, without having some kind of backup in place, that's definitely going to hurt the school and players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT