ADVERTISEMENT

Best BBQ in the State

Kind of hard for you to give it a grade without trying other places. If we're talking strictly BBQ and not sides, Smithfield is probably a 6.5. You throw sides into the mix and it loses another point. I'm not trying to say it's horrible, just that it's not great BBQ. It's average. It's where you go when you don't have much choice.
Who goes for the sides? I eat the sides if there's any room left in my stomach after I gorge myself on the bbq.

Who goes for the sides? I eat the sides if there's any room left in my stomach after I gorge myself on the bbq.

I don’t know, dude. Those corn sticks at Parker’s in Wilson would be worth it if you didn’t get anything else

I think I have been turned off of Q more because of what hey do to it at different places after it comes off the pit more than what it is cooked with. Absolute worst Q I have ever put in my mouth was at some dive in Charlotte. Went there when I lived there in the early 90’s. Came out in a paper tray completely covered in some red watered down swill. Couldn’t even see the meat for the “sauce”. I took one bite and stopped. I don’t blame the cooking for that but the crap they thought it needed to make it better. Hell, if the meat was that bad, then needed to stop making it

Reactions: randman1
I don’t know, dude. Those corn sticks at Parker’s in Wilson would be worth it if you didn’t get anything else

I think I have been turned off of Q more because of what hey do to it at different places after it comes off the pit more than what it is cooked with. Absolute worst Q I have ever put in my mouth was at some dive in Charlotte. Went there when I lived there in the early 90’s. Came out in a paper tray completely covered in some red watered down swill. Couldn’t even see the meat for the “sauce”. I took one bite and stopped. I don’t blame the cooking for that but the crap they thought it needed to make it better. Hell, if the meat was that bad, then needed to stop making it
Speaking of Parker's, I'm going there tonight.

Speaking of Parker's, I'm going there tonight.

Dang it!

Wife is from Saratoga so we usually go when we are down there visiting. Son #2 is going to ECU in the fall, so I am sure we’ll be eating there more than we do now.

I like their Q but I like their fried chicken more than the Q. Their stew is OK, but that chicken is damn tasty!

Dang it!

Wife is from Saratoga so we usually go when we are down there visiting. Son #2 is going to ECU in the fall, so I am sure we’ll be eating there more than we do now.

I like their Q but I like their fried chicken more than the Q. Their stew is OK, but that chicken is damn tasty!
My kids are on spring break, so we're back in NC for a few days to visit family. My wife's family is about 20 minutes from Parker's so we had to get some NC BBQ. Having some bright leaf hot dogs on the grill tomorrow.

#foodheaven

20 minutes east or west of Wilson? My wife’s folks have a farm off 264 in saratoga, about 20 minutes outside of Wilson and about 30 minutes from Greenville

My kids are on spring break, so we're back in NC for a few days to visit family. My wife's family is about 20 minutes from Parker's so we had to get some NC BBQ. Having some bright leaf hot dogs on the grill tomorrow.

#foodheaven
I tried to explain Bright Leaf hot dogs to someone the other day and they just didn't get how wonderful they are.

Ever had the pig in a pup from King's in kinston? I haven't actually tried the q alone, cause i'm always needing something to-go that I can eat while driving with my knees. But it is kinda good. It is an insanely huge, tiny-bit-too-sweet , well-crispy hush puppy filled with q, slaw, and 4 ounces of grease. Gotta go heavy with the vinegar-sauce to cut the sweetness, which means you end up wearing it and needing a bath after eating it.

I stumbled upon it because 70 now bypasses wilbers.

King’s Q is pretty tasty

Know where Kenny is. Bought out last car from Kenny Ford little over a year ago. Friend of my BIL works there and got us a deal. Wife’s mom and step dad live in Four Oaks. Small world!

On the topic of sides (the hush puppies or cornsticks/bread and slaw are really a key component to me), there's a place in saluda with really good q, wood, and excellent sides.

And on topic of huge hush puppies, anybody been to Carolina bbq in Statesville? It's good, wood, and the puppies are like 3-inch round balls. That's a good stop.

No mocking here. @UNC '92 brought some cue from some place in Durham to a football game last year and it was quite good. If you don't wanna take my word for it, even bbq snobs like @toophly1124 liked it ;)
We really have @grillheel to thank for that 'cue. It was upon his suggestion I grab some 'cue from Picnic before the game. A risk that paid off as I believe he had not yet had anything from there and was just going off a recommendation. It was pretty good too. Of course I recommend drinking their pig whistle sauce, so that really helped it a lot.

Anybody tried Big Oak on salter path, apparently the shrimp burgers are good, should I get some q or Brunswick stew too?

It really should just be a debate over sauce since all cooked pork tastes the same
386.gif

• Haha
Reactions: heelmanwilm
It really should just be a debate over sauce since all cooked pork tastes the same
this is a troll, right? A pig cooked over oak/hickory/whatever coals is the same as one cooked over brick charcoal or gas? I guess seafood is what you know about if you're from Wilmington. Jeebus, dude, that almost sounded like something a tourist might say.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT